HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

We have a potential deal in place with one team, GM says of Luongo deal

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2013, 08:08 PM
LateNightOilerFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
What signs? Whenever I read stuff like this I laugh, we've seen goalies regularly playing until 38-40 now, but since Luongo's contract goes that long it's bad.

Brodeur's game has 'slipped', he's still a good NHL goalie, whose cap hit is only $800k less than Lu's (and he's already 40). We saw Roloson lead his team within one win of the Stanley Cup finals as a 41 year old. Roloson's athletic pedigree is nowhere close to Roberto's, same could be said of Belfour, Joseph etc.

Brodeur is an exceptional case, you could argue that, but look at Roberto's resume to date and tell me what separates him from Brodeur or Belfour??? I'd say not much, and both guys played at a fairly high level into the twilight of their late 30's or early 40's.

33 isn't old, especially for goalies. I'm tired of making this argument though....
Just wanted to drop in to comment on this, as I've been seeing the comparisons for a while, but everytime I get around to commenting the threads are closed!

Anyway, one thing to remember with respect to Roloson vs Luongo is looking at their games played to the age of 33. Roli has often said the reason he was able to play for so long was because of his 'low mileage' early on.

If you compare regular season games played between Roli and Luongo up to Luongo's age right now:

Roli - College 106/AHL 179/NHL 147 Total 432 over 12 seasons = 36/season

Luongo - QMJHL 180/AHL 29/NHL 728 Total 937 over 16 seasons = 59/season and at a much higher level for longer (580 more NHL games played)

Luongo has been an NHL starter since he was in his early 20's, Roli was in his mid 30's before he got to that point. I just think the amount of games played should also be considered when trying to predict whether Luongo can play into his 40's.

Carry on, just been wanting to comment about that for a while.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Scurr

http://www.nhl.com/ice/careerstats.h...SeasonsGoalies

It's an issue for sure. I have no idea how these saves stacking up are going to affect him going forward but there are guys that have kept playing well despite the shot totals getting up there. Lu is known for taking great care of himself at least.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Joseph
Belfour
Hasek

Old
01-23-2013, 08:17 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNightOilerFan View Post
Just wanted to drop in to comment on this, as I've been seeing the comparisons for a while, but everytime I get around to commenting the threads are closed!

Anyway, one thing to remember with respect to Roloson vs Luongo is looking at their games played to the age of 33. Roli has often said the reason he was able to play for so long was because of his 'low mileage' early on.

If you compare regular season games played between Roli and Luongo up to Luongo's age right now:

Roli - College 106/AHL 179/NHL 147 Total 432 over 12 seasons = 36/season

Luongo - QMJHL 180/AHL 29/NHL 728 Total 937 over 16 seasons = 59/season and at a much higher level for longer (580 more NHL games played)

Luongo has been an NHL starter since he was in his early 20's, Roli was in his mid 30's before he got to that point. I just think the amount of games played should also be considered when trying to predict whether Luongo can play into his 40's.

Carry on, just been wanting to comment about that for a while.
Cheers.

I can understand that stance, but my other comparisons were goalies with similar pedigree to luongo (Belfour, Brodeur, Joseph) who have played similar games at an elite level for a long time.

Those are Luongo's comparables moreso than Roloson, he's just and example of player who played to a late age.

Just contributes to my stance that 33 isn't old.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:51 PM
thepuckmonster
professional winner

SPAC reporting "ahh, Bozak, who is rumoured to be on his way to Vancouver for Luongo, scores his second of the year".

GO AWAY.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:51 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
SPAC reporting "ahh, Bozak, who is rumoured to be on his way to Vancouver for Luongo, scores his second of the year".

GO AWAY.
Don Taylor has no clue...

Old
01-23-2013, 08:52 PM
thepuckmonster
professional winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smells Squatchy View Post
Don Taylor has no clue...
I know, but it's the most aurally offensive spew hearing about how Toronto is going to get Lu.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:55 PM
aandbreatheme

I don't know why Flyers would be interested. They don't need a goalie, they need defense.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:56 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
I don't know why Flyers would be interested. They don't need a goalie, they need defense.
They could use a goalie too. Defense first and foremost IMO.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
The importance of goaltending goes up the worse your team defense is...

Plus, we can give them Ballard too.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:11 PM
RandomRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post

GO AWAY.
Don't worry he was reporting old news for those that don't listen to 1040. I was like F u Taylor!!

Old
01-23-2013, 09:37 PM
L0gikB0mb

-edit-

Old
01-23-2013, 09:48 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Because Bryzgalov is terrible so they need a goalie too?

01-23-2013, 09:51 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

I thought Bozak was garbage.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:54 PM
thepuckmonster
professional winner

Ian Mac throws Philly in as an interesting example.

HRRRRRM

Old
01-23-2013, 10:38 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Question for Canuck fans;

What specificly would the Nucks be looking for in reguards to trading Lu from say, they Blackhawks?

Old
01-23-2013, 10:45 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
Question for Canuck fans;

What specificly would the Nucks be looking for in reguards to trading Lu from say, they Blackhawks?
Personally, I would ask for Hossa/Sharp/Kane since Luongo would fix a rival's biggest weakness.

Most Canucks fans would say Bolland+, but I don't want him near this team and I'm sure Bolland feels the same way.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
01-23-2013, 11:01 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
I thought Bozak was garbage.
He is.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:06 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Personally, I would ask for Hossa/Sharp/Kane since Luongo would fix a rival's biggest weakness.

Most Canucks fans would say Bolland+, but I don't want him near this team and I'm sure Bolland feels the same way.
So, in your opinion, do you think Lu is past his prime?

Personally, I dont and would love to have him on the Hawks. And while I dont think his value would be those players mentioned, I understand what you are saying.

This is just a debatable topic and I have no intentions of turning this into a flame war. I think, imo, of course, that Lu would be the missing piece for the Hawks to be considered the Cup favorite and goalies of his skill set dont become availible too often. Now, imo, of course, I dont believe in the whole "helps a rival out" logic if the trade helps the Canucks just as good. That being said,. there would have to be a considerable contract coming back, and I am not one of those Olesz coming back guys at all.

What about futures?

Old
01-23-2013, 11:13 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:

Personally, I dont and would love to have him on the Hawks. And while I dont think his value would be those players mentioned, I understand what you are saying.

This is just a debatable topic and I have no intentions of turning this into a flame war. I think, imo, of course, that Lu would be the missing piece for the Hawks to be considered the Cup favorite and goalies of his skill set dont become availible too often. Now, imo, of course, I dont believe in the whole "helps a rival out" logic if the trade helps the Canucks just as good. That being said,. there would have to be a considerable contract coming back, and I am not one of those Olesz coming back guys at all.

What about futures?
What kind of futures would you be willing to discuss? I'm quite high on Teravainen, as well as Saad, Clendening, and some interest in Morin. Perhaps some combination of this?

Old
01-23-2013, 11:15 PM
arsmaster

Quote:

What about futures?
We're in the same position as you guys...missing one piece.

For me it's a top 6 forward...

Futures don't work between our teams IMO.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:18 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Quote:

What about futures?
I think that Luongo has at least 5 very good years left in him, and that he'll still be a good starting goalie later in his contract.

Anywho, no point discussing futures with me, because I would want a very good player (who is playing in the NHL right now) in return if he's moved to Chicago.

A trade I've proposed a long time ago was Luongo + Raymond + 2nd for Hossa + Crawford/Emery.
Hossa has a very similar contract and is about the same age as Luongo, and he fills a need for the Canucks.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:20 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
What kind of futures would you be willing to discuss? I'm quite high on Teravainen, as well as Saad, Clendening, and some interest in Morin. Perhaps some combination of this?
I would be all for trading any of the combination with the exception of TT.

As a STH for the Icehogs, I have seen all of them play and feel if any of them would get a goalie the caliber of Lu its something Bowman needs to think about. Saad will be a decent second liner while Clendening is nothing but Nick Leddy with even less defensive awareness. Morin is streaky to the point that I still think he is having problems with the concussions he sustained, but when he is on, hes a pretty good PFP, a more physical Kessel without the obvious offensive skill.

Seriously, its easier talking Lu here then on the Hawks forum.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
I think that Luongo has at least 5 very good years left in him, and that he'll still be a good starting goalie later in his contract.
Good? Or elite?

Quote:
Anywho, no point discussing futures with me, because I would want a very good player (who is playing in the NHL right now) in return if he's moved to Chicago.
Understanable.
Quote:
A trade I've proposed a long time ago was Luongo + Raymond + 2nd for Hossa + Crawford/Emery.
Hossa has a very similar contract and is about the same age as Luongo, and he fills a need for the Canucks.
I dont know if the Chicago hospital system could handle 20,000 strokes all at once, but I see what you are saying. Hossa's play since the season started makes this much more grey then black and white, but I personally think the value is fair.

To get somebody, you have to give. I wouldnt trade Hossa but respect your opinion.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:27 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Quote:
Good? Or elite?
If by elite you mean similar to how Luongo has performed in recent years, then yes.

Closed Thread