HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We have a potential deal in place with one team, GM says of Luongo deal

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 01:23 AM
Shareefruck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
Good? Or elite?
I would definitely say he's past his prime in the sense that he's no longer that goalie pre-2007 where he would dominate and single-handedly steal you games'/series'

He's still a great goaltender capable of going far with a solid team in front of him, IMO. He just needs some help.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:10 AM
Scouter

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by June 2007 View Post
How can you say that with such certainty? I agree its unlikely, for many reasons, mainly Luongo not waiving his NTC. However, there is a fit there and looking at the two teams rosters they would be good trading partners. Unlikely sure, but no more unlikely then all the proposals of him going to teams like Dallas and San Jose that just simply don't need a goaltender.
I can, because of the obvious reason that they have a new starting goalie in Bobrovsky.

Old
01-24-2013, 07:53 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
I can, because of the obvious reason that they have a new starting goalie in Bobrovsky.
Or a new backup in Bobrovsky.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:03 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
Columbus: "YOU'RE ON THE CASE BOBROVSKY!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Or a new backup in Bobrovsky.
Columbus: "YOU'RE OFF THE CASE BOBROVSKY!"

Old
01-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Steve Bennett*

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
I thought Bozak was garbage.
What we say to outsiders and what we discuss here are two completely different things!

Old
01-24-2013, 01:55 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bennett View Post
What we say to outsiders and what we discuss here are two completely different things!
Bozak has as many ES points as Andrew Ebbett this season.

01-24-2013, 02:05 PM
LeftCoast

In spite of our slow start to the season, and the fact that we have given up leads in all three games, I really don't think Gillis has to rush to make a deal to move Luongo. Okay - I know it was the Flames last night, who are not exactly an offensive juggernaut, but we are starting to see the elements of the team we expect. But this deal could be the most important move of Gillis's career. It is essential to get it right.

I'm a little curious to see how Jordan Schroeder does at centre for us for a few games. He didn't hurt us last night, but didn't look great either. Raymond has been playing with some jump and Burrows also looked reasonably good at centre last night.

If Kesler is 2-3 weeks away from playing, and assuming Kesler takes a couple of weeks to play himself into game shape, we really only need a stop gap measure at center. So maybe it's a mistake to focus on getting a #2C in return for Roberto Luongo.

If Schroeder is able to play meaningful minutes at centre, that means once Kesler returns, our depth is Henrick, Kesler, Schroeder, Burrows, Lappierre, Malhotra and Ebbett. Anyone we bring in as a #2C, is likely going to have to move to the wing once Kesler returns.

On the left we have Daniel, Raymond, Booth (injured), Higgins, Volpatti.

On the right we have Burrows, Kassian, Hansen, Weise.

Booth, Higgins, Burrows and Hansen can play either wing. Schroeder and Lapierre can also move to either wing.

In our system, our top offensive prospects are Jensen (RW) and Gaunce (C). We also have solid prospects on the blue line (Corrado / Connauton) and in goal (Lack / Cannata).

So assuming the return for Luongo includes 1 piece that improves the team right now, and 1 piece that helps the team in the future - what position should we look to fill? I'm feeling more and more comfortable with package in which the center piece is a first round pick.

I think with our existing lineup, if we can get to the playoffs healthy, we can go a long ways. The team needs to play better, but I really don't think we need any specific piece right now. Get a pick that improves the team in the future.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
In spite of our slow start to the season, and the fact that we have given up leads in all three games, I really don't think Gillis has to rush to make a deal to move Luongo. Okay - I know it was the Flames last night, who are not exactly an offensive juggernaut, but we are starting to see the elements of the team we expect. But this deal could be the most important move of Gillis's career. It is essential to get it right.

I'm a little curious to see how Jordan Schroeder does at centre for us for a few games. He didn't hurt us last night, but didn't look great either. Raymond has been playing with some jump and Burrows also looked reasonably good at centre last night.

If Kesler is 2-3 weeks away from playing, and assuming Kesler takes a couple of weeks to play himself into game shape, we really only need a stop gap measure at center. So maybe it's a mistake to focus on getting a #2C in return for Roberto Luongo.

If Schroeder is able to play meaningful minutes at centre, that means once Kesler returns, our depth is Henrick, Kesler, Schroeder, Burrows, Lappierre, Malhotra and Ebbett. Anyone we bring in as a #2C, is likely going to have to move to the wing once Kesler returns.

On the left we have Daniel, Raymond, Booth (injured), Higgins, Volpatti.

On the right we have Burrows, Kassian, Hansen, Weise.

Booth, Higgins, Burrows and Hansen can play either wing. Schroeder and Lapierre can also move to either wing.

In our system, our top offensive prospects are Jensen (RW) and Gaunce (C). We also have solid prospects on the blue line (Corrado / Connauton) and in goal (Lack / Cannata).

So assuming the return for Luongo includes 1 piece that improves the team right now, and 1 piece that helps the team in the future - what position should we look to fill? I'm feeling more and more comfortable with package in which the center piece is a first round pick.

I think with our existing lineup, if we can get to the playoffs healthy, we can go a long ways. The team needs to play better, but I really don't think we need any specific piece right now. Get a pick that improves the team in the future.
I think this is a very good assessment, but did not Gillis say on Sunday that Kelser was 7-10 days away... so he could be back by early next week or did I read that wrong?

As well you couldn't be more wrong about the last point. The Canucks need depth for now, even when healthy. The Bruins, Hawks, and Kings were loaded, and that is where the Canucks fail miserably, especially on the 4th line... no trade for a 2nd liner so that the current 2nd and 3rd liners move down into 3rd and 4th for depth.

Depth and health determine your playoff fate.

Last edited by Biggest Canuck Fan: 01-24-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old
01-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Usually when a player starts taking contact they are 2-4 weeks away from playing. Kesler is looking at a month minimum from where he is right now as he has not really even started the process yet.

I don't think that means we should rush to make a trade yet though. I trust in Gillis to make the best deal possible and as long as Schenider isn't letting in 7 goals a game the "goaltending controversy" will straighten itself out.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Pseudonymous

edit - answered above.

i dont think itll take him 4 weeks of practicing with the team though. i could see a couple weeks max once he starts skating with the team

just my guess though

Old
01-24-2013, 02:20 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
Unless Ryan Kesler's career is over (or he is unlikely to make a full recovery from these injuries) it is definitely a mistake to trade a player who has been a franchise cornerstone his whole career for a solution to a short term problem.

Not to say I wouldn't take a center back in a trade, or even a center who will be tough to platoon with Kesler and Sedin over the long term (like say Ryan O'Reilly, not that I think that trade makes any sense for Colorado), but taking lesser (long term) value back for Roberto Luongo because you're getting a player or two who will kinda sorta help you this year would be a colossal mistake.

This team has traded away an entire draft worth of picks during Mike Gillis' tenure, he has signed some good young free agents to stem that loss of organizational depth but unless you're getting an impact player in return for Roberto Luongo, he needs to be dealt to help supplement the few NHL ready prospects we have now.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
edit - answered above.

i dont think itll take him 4 weeks of practicing with the team though. i could see a couple weeks max once he starts skating with the team

just my guess though
Oh so he will be back practicing by monday or so next week... still a huge improvement... just amazing what a difference he and Booth make when in the lineup.

No, if you can you trade Lou for a Weiss or Nido from NYI... depth now to give you as best a shot as possible.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Wizeman*

Kesler is already recovered. His team of doctors have decided to go the EXTRA MILE to make sure he is well rested and able to play 10 more years.

When Kesler finally is cleared to play in late Feb or early March, he will soon be in beast mode . I think that is worth waiting just a little bit longer for.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:34 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Kesler is already recovered. His team of doctors have decided to go the EXTRA MILE to make sure he is well rested and able to play 10 more years.

When Kesler finally is cleared to play in late Feb or early March, he will soon be in beast mode . I think that is worth waiting just a little bit longer for.
He did say when the lockout was over he couldn't lift his arm above his shoulder. I think if he was really ready to practice and play he would be on the ice already.

I don't want him back any sooner than when he is 100% so I hope he takes his time.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:35 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post

If this is true then tread until he's ready, but I wouldn't wait until March... they need him now, and so wait until 2nd or 3rd week of Feb to make sure he's in game shape for playoffs come May... hard to believe the playoffs start then, which is why getting depth for Luongo is so much more important.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:38 PM
westvandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Columbus: "YOU'RE ON THE CASE BOBROVSKY!"

Columbus: "YOU'RE OFF THE CASE BOBROVSKY!"
I know it's generally not contributing to the topic, but I felt it was worth pointing out that this was hilarious!

Old
01-24-2013, 02:40 PM
arsmaster

Anyone still get the feeling its Florida?

I do!

And I think its for a RH defensman on his ELC....not going to type his name, don't want Beezeral to laugh LOL

Old
01-24-2013, 02:43 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Anyone still get the feeling its Florida?
I do!

And I think its for a RH defensman on his ELC....not going to type his name, don't want Beezeral to laugh LOL
I do as well. I'm wondering what roster move Florida needs to make first though, as stated by Gillis?

Old
01-24-2013, 02:45 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I do as well. I'm wondering what roster move Florida needs to make first though, as stated by Gillis?
Take your pick.

They have some bad contracts.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:47 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Because Bryzgalov is terrible so they need a goalie too?
It's what? 3 games into the season? I think he deserves a bit of a chance.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
It's what? 3 games into the season? I think he deserves a bit of a chance.
It's not just this season, it was last season as well (especially in the playoffs).

.909 sv% in the regular season and .887 sv% in the playoffs.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
01-24-2013, 02:52 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
It's not just this season, it was last season as well (especially in the playoffs).

.909 sv% in the regular season and .887 sv% in the playoffs.
It's still only one season... you don't sign somebody for 10 years if you're going to give up on him that easily... any goaltender is going to have trouble saving pucks behind that defense. Bryzgalof shouldn't even be blamed for their series loss against NJ; the team in front of him were terrible. I'm not saying he's a great goalie or anything, but that he probably deserves a chance to somewhat prove himself...

Old
01-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's still only one season... you don't sign somebody for 10 years if you're going to give up on him that easily... any goaltender is going to have trouble saving pucks behind that defense. Bryzgalof shouldn't even be blamed for their series loss against NJ; the team in front of him were terrible. I'm not saying he's a great goalie or anything, but that he probably deserves a chance to somewhat prove himself...
I think it's obvious that they're giving Bryz until the end of the season.
If he continues to struggle mightily, I could see them buying him out or trying to move him for a low draft pick to a team needing a goalie if they can get Luongo. It just depends on if the Canucks are going to hold on to him until the off-season.

And while the team in front of him didn't play great defensively in the playoffs, he was still horrible on his own.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:59 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
I think it's obvious that they're giving Bryz until the end of the season.
If he continues to struggle mightily, I could see them buying him out or trying to move him for a low draft pick to a team needing a goalie if they can get Luongo. It just depends on if the Canucks are going to hold on to him until the off-season.

And while the team in front of him didn't play great defensively in the playoffs, he was still horrible on his own.
The Pittsburgh/Philly series was the worst goaltending I've seen in a long time and it was on both sides. Mind you it was the most exciting hockey I've seen in a while too as no lead was safe with Bryz and Fleury in net.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:04 PM
Eastside

Quote:
I think with Bryz it might be more than just his play. While we find his rambling interviews hilarious, management may not find it so funny (especially when he's playing like crap).

Not saying that's for sure the case, but it wouldn't surprise me if it played a factor.

Closed Thread