HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

We have a potential deal in place with one team, GM says of Luongo deal

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 02:57 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
None of those three guys are any more "hopers" or "projects" than Schroeder and Jensen, and all 3 have equal or more upside. I don't think Gillis has ever made a trade like the proposed one before (prospect for good young player), so I don't know were the "keep trading" aspect comes in.
I was referring to the Grabner deal with such projects as Kieth Ballard and Victor Oreskovich in return. He was explicitly requested by MG.

And in the Hodgson deal, we got such projects as Marc-Andre Gragnani. Also explicitly requested by MG.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:04 AM
PerDos

It could be the Islanders.

Currently having issue with a player, Lubo.
Have a wealth of good young forwards that Canucks need and could be made expendable, Bailey/Nino/Nelson...
Want to be competitive in time for their move to Brooklyn in 2015.
Have a veteran goalie, Nabokov, that can backup Schneider this season.
Have a crazy owner.

They also lack good veteran D so they might want someone like Ballard.

Deal could be made around Lu+Ballard for Nabokov+Lubo+Bailey+prospect/picks.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:10 AM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I'm calling ******** on this one. It reeks badly.
I did too, but why create more of a media stir than there needs to be.

1.) Gillis has already brought this team to Luongo's attention and he has okay'd the team.
2.) MG knows that this announcement / interview would just cause more stir to a team that doesn't need more spotlight from the media than it already has.
3.) It could be a ploy to get the wheels going again to possibly take a bit of the spotlight off of the term "Goalie controversy"

Old
01-22-2013, 03:11 AM
Zarpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
I was referring to the Grabner deal with such projects as Kieth Ballard and Victor Oreskovich in return. He was explicitly requested by MG.

And in the Hodgson deal, we got such projects as Marc-Andre Gragnani. Also explicitly requested by MG.
I don't think those are in the same category since Ballard was a well established player, while Oreskovich was mostly a throw-in. Gragnani was part of a separate deal for Sulzer - depth defenseman swap.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:17 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Dipietro and Luongo could call themselves the Neverending Tandem.

I think it'll be New Jersey if Brodeur has decided that this is his last year. That team's window is built around Kovalchuk, they can't waste his prime breaking in rookie goalies.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:26 AM
Kesler is Bestler

vCash: 50
What are the chances of Adam Larsson coming back in a trade with NJ?

Old
01-22-2013, 03:27 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler is Bestler View Post
What are the chances of Adam Larsson coming back in a trade with NJ?
zero

Old
01-22-2013, 03:34 AM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
It wouldnt just be Voracek though.
Oh, sorry, I thought you meant one of Schenn, or Couturier or Voracek, versus one of Schenn or Couturier on top of Voracek. If that was the case, I would be willing to give up Jensen+. Heck I would do Luongo + 2nd tier prospect for Voracek straight up any day.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:35 AM
Kesler is Bestler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
zero
yeah thought so... well im off to bed, this latest news kept me up longer than it should have

Old
01-22-2013, 03:38 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
I did too, but why create more of a media stir than there needs to be.

1.) Gillis has already brought this team to Luongo's attention and he has okay'd the team.
2.) MG knows that this announcement / interview would just cause more stir to a team that doesn't need more spotlight from the media than it already has.
3.) It could be a ploy to get the wheels going again to possibly take a bit of the spotlight off of the term "Goalie controversy"
The one thing about this is Gillis is implying there is a deal being sorted. That should being putting 3rd party teams off rather than driving up values.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:52 AM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
The one thing about this is Gillis is implying there is a deal being sorted. That should being putting 3rd party teams off rather than driving up values.
Or he knows certain teams are desperate

Old
01-22-2013, 04:17 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Or he knows certain teams are desperate
I don't think anyone's desperate right now. If Toronto was desperate they wouldn't have started the season with Scrivens, and he's done nothing in their first two games to increase their desperation. I don't think anyone else qualified as desperate before the season began, and two games isn't going to change that for anybody.

I wouldn't be surprised if this all just revolves around Gillis's pride. The Toronto media has effectively painted him as a guy who demanded too much, waited too long, and now there's no real interest in Luongo around the league. This current revelation he dropped on us is likely nothing more than an attempt to dispel that ill-gotten image. I mean, is a trade that requires you to take on a piece that you're not willing to take on *really* considered a potential deal? And if he really was closing in on a deal, do you think he'd offer ANY insight into it? *Hint* listen to the last minute of his team1040 interview from last week.

I doubt it's anything more than Holmgren offering him a piece or two to swap Lu for Bryz, which Gillis has no interest in doing. So now he's left holding onto the hope that Snider ponies up and buys him out this offseason, or else he has no prospective buyers at anything resembling a decent price. Honestly, nothing he's said has given me any reason to expect a deal in the near future. Maybe I'm just a pessimist.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:10 AM
biturbo19

I'm desperately hoping it's something like Washington...

For Marcus Johansson and maybe something with one of their young goalies? But they have to find a way to get a guy like Forsberg or Kuznetsov over to North America first?

Johansson for them is a winger, with relatively middling upside...Both Forsberg and Kuznetsov offer much bigger upside, though less experience, etc.

But they could probably really use a veteran stopper like Luongo if they hope to contend right now.

And for us, Johansson would present an option as a Center for now, and possibly shift to wing when Kesler's ready...or not. Maybe add something like a Raymond who is roughly as productive as Johansson right now, and get a goalie back? Neuvirth maybe?

I'm dreaming. But man that would be nice.

Odds are good this is just more ******** from Gillis. As of late, he's starting acting more and more like Brian Burke. And i don't like it much.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:26 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Watch it be Detroit and we're waiting for Darren Helm to be healthy. Don't think people would expect that. Rumors were swirling that Datsyuk was offered for Luongo back when Luongo was in Florida. Jimmy Howard has been good in the regular season, but has never been solid in the playoffs, and is a UFA after this year. McCollum isn't developing the way we thought he was going to.

With Lidstrom gone, Detroit is desperate for a goalie or elite defense man. Luongo's the best bet.
Not a bad guess. There will likely be a re-alignment eventually so I doubt we see Detroit stick around in the West for too long and they have some interesting pieces.

Luongo for Helm, Nyquist, 2nd type of deal? Maybe they're even interested in Ballard due to how bad their defence is already?

Old
01-22-2013, 07:33 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Not a bad guess. There will likely be a re-alignment eventually so I doubt we see Detroit stick around in the West for too long and they have some interesting pieces.

Luongo for Helm, Nyquist, 2nd type of deal? Maybe they're even interested in Ballard due to how bad their defence is already?

Re-alignment is going to have an affect on things. As is relocation. It's not just where the teams move, but how many interdivisional games there will be in the new system.

As to this latest piece from Gillis, it doesn't mean anything IMO. In any deal, one piece can throw it off. So to say that there is a deal in place save for one piece, that's just like saying there's no deal. Odds are that if said team has to do something with a certain player first, you won't see movement on this until the deadline or in the offseason, not before. These are the times when player-personnel decisions are completed.

If it's PHI, which I think it is, it's gotta be Couturier + depth Dman (Grossman) or the Schenn brothers. This playoffs will be especially telling here. Another strong shutdown performance from Couturier and he won't move. Personally, I think a deal based on Laughton + 1st in the offseason would be pretty reasonable. I know PHI fans would disagree though...

Old
01-22-2013, 07:40 AM
Vajakki

If I had to guess, I'd say this is only a way to get Luongo's value higher. As much as I want to believe there's a deal ready, it just seems very unlikely of Gillis to say something like this to media if it actually was the case.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:43 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Guys, even if this is true, it is not New Jersey. While it was reported that Lou inquired about Luongo last offseason, that was because Brodeur's status was uncertain (testing the market). Having just re-signed both Brodeur and Hedberg to two year contracts with NTCs, the chance of Lou going out and acquiring a goaltender one game into the season is absolutely zero. He doesn't operate that way, and he's not going to start even thinking about it until one of his two goaltenders gives him reason to think that he has to.

Plus, we either don't have the assets required or the assets required are untouchable.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:45 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Guys, even if this is true, it is not New Jersey. While it was reported that Lou inquired about Luongo last offseason, that was because Brodeur's status was uncertain (testing the market). Having just re-signed both Brodeur and Hedberg to two year contracts with NTCs, the chance of Lou going out and acquiring a goaltender one game into the season is absolutely zero. He doesn't operate that way, and he's not going to start even thinking about it until one of his two goaltenders gives him reason to think that he has to.

Plus, we either don't have the assets required or the assets required are untouchable.

I don't think it's NJ either. They seemed like an option when Brodeur was unsigned. Now, no longer.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:08 AM
CCF
This is the year....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler is Bestler View Post
  • NYI - They already have 3 starting goalies... (Montoya, Nabakov, and DiPietro)...Dont see how a deal could be in place unless DiPietro is coming back the other way
Montoya is backing up Pavelec in Winnipeg now.

Even then the Islanders may not be interrested given the money and length they have tied up in DiPietro. They may not want to go down that path again.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:11 AM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajakki View Post
If I had to guess, I'd say this is only a way to get Luongo's value higher. As much as I want to believe there's a deal ready, it just seems very unlikely of Gillis to say something like this to media if it actually was the case.
I would agree in theory this makes sense, but this is also really out of character for gillis, and the first time he has went so far regarding a trade at all that i can tell to the media. I have never heard him openly speak about having a deal in place in any trade to the media, so your right to an extent, but its also strange he said anything at all.

Typically he has stuck to his guns about wanting great pieces back, and saying we can easily keep roberto and have two good goalies this season. Why change now, especially given the timing after schneiders bad opening night? He could have stuck to his usual response about wanting to have two good goaltenders and his comment would have never made more sense then it did right now given saturdays events...but he did not, he actually made a bold statement which was very unusual.

To me its just weird, and I almost think it might be true in a way. Or the pressure to trade him is increasing and something is going to happen soon.

He never divulges information, and certainly has never went out of his way to make a very bold comment to the media which would draw more attention. His MO is to downplay everything, which is why this is so strange. I dont know what to make of it.

Last edited by Orca Smash: 01-22-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old
01-22-2013, 09:16 AM
Orca Smash

I am not sure if he is saying he knows of the deal gillis speaks of and its not with the leafs, or if hes just saying he knows theres no deal in place with leafs.

If its the later, then its nothing new.

steve simmons ‏@simmonssteve
Gillis says he has trade in place for Luongo re @rcamcole barring some shoes to drop and I can confirm deal he talks about isn't with Leafs.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:16 AM
BerSTUzzi

I think some of you guys are forgetting the NTC. Lui will not be going to the NYI(there is a very slim chance), WPG, CLB type teams. STL does not need Lui, they are building their team the right way and are going to be good for a long time without him.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:21 AM
Jay Cee
P4G

Florida - Theodore NTC? *shrug*

Old
01-22-2013, 09:24 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
I think some of you guys are forgetting the NTC. Lui will not be going to the NYI(there is a very slim chance), WPG, CLB type teams. STL does not need Lui, they are building their team the right way and are going to be good for a long time without him.
I still think the Detroit suggestion was pretty sensible. They're a team that's going to quickly decline if they don't either find a quick fix to their defense or goaltending. That would be a waste of several more years of Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:28 AM
ttam103

Gudbranson? Hes all injured and stuff right now isnt he?

Closed Thread