HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We have a potential deal in place with one team, GM says of Luongo deal

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 10:18 AM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Cory is better, younger, cheaper and the team believes in him more. For the past two years the team has played better in front of Cory. As hockey player, that's very telling. If you're comfortable with your goalie, you play better in front of him, simple as that. Cory will be very good with our current window and he'll still be here when the next wave is in it's prime i.e Jensen, Gaunce, Schroeder,(Luongo trade player) Corrado, Tanev.
What that tells me is they know what they have in Luongo and took it for granted, with Cory in net the entire team had to compensate to shore up the defensive end.

I have no stat to quantify this, but in my eyes Luongo faced tougher and more frequent scoring chances than Schneider last season.

I think you're assessment is out to lunch to be honest.

Plus, Cory's only signed for 3 years, who is to say he isn't gone through UFA in 3 years time?

Old
01-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Free Kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Gives Booth something to do while he rehabs
Good idea, maybe give him a quad to drive around so he doesn't re-injure his groin.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:22 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
I just gotta say, I think trading Lu could be one of the biggest mistakes this org. has ever made, they give him the big contract, anoint him as their guy, he thought he was set up for his career, their was a NTC, although for some reason there was some flexibility, now they for some reason believe more in Cory, can't say I blame Lu if he doesn't want to be here anymore.
Quote:
Cory is better, younger, cheaper and the team believes in him more. For the past two years the team has played better in front of Cory. As hockey player, that's very telling. If you're comfortable with your goalie, you play better in front of him, simple as that. Cory will be very good with our current window and he'll still be here when the next wave is in it's prime i.e Jensen, Gaunce, Schroeder,(Luongo trade player) Corrado, Tanev.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
What that tells me is they know what they have in Luongo and took it for granted, with Cory in net the entire team had to compensate to shore up the defensive end.

I have no stat to quantify this, but in my eyes Luongo faced tougher and more frequent scoring chances than Schneider last season.

I think you're assessment is out to lunch to be honest.

Plus, Cory's only signed for 3 years, who is to say he isn't gone through UFA in 3 years time?
There's an all-purpose Luongo thread, please discuss that in there if you really need to (even though it has been covered a million times). Otherwise we all know that this thread will soon be overtaken by the Schneider vs Luongo fight.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:22 AM
jameswrjobe53

[QUOTE=CanadianPirate;58067055]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler is Bestler View Post
Ok so judging by his quote... its not Philly TO or Florida.

Atlantic
New Jersey Devils - Nope
New York Islanders - Nope

Northeast
Ottawa Senators - Nope

Central
Chicago Blackhawks - Nope
Columbus Blue Jackets - Nope

Northwest
Edmonton Oilers - Nope

Pacific
Anaheim Ducks - Nope
Dallas Stars - Nope
San Jose Sharks - Nope

Out of the teams you listed I wonder if any of these could be potentially interested. How happy is Anaheim with Hiller, San Jose with Neimi, Dallas with Lehtonen, and Ottawa with Anderson. All of these are decent goalies but I wonder if they would be interested in an upgrade? The other ones I think may be in the running are the Oilers and Blackhawks who would probably be interested but would require an overpayment. Even though Columbus and the Islanders are bottom feeders they might be interested it would come down to Luongo's interest in those teams. And finally I wonder if New Jersey would have any interest? Brodeur has to be close to retirement...

These are just me throwing out more options.
Im really thinking Islanders. Dont think the Caps would have any reason to do this. Also: TBL dont need no more goalies :L)

Old
01-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Scouter

vCash: 154
Quote:
Money is a factor, but it's not everything, if you have maybe the best goalie in the league, then sign him to that big contract cause you wan't to keep him, money is clearly not the issue here.

How do you know that the team plays better in front of Cory, they probably play better in front of him cause they aren't as comfortable with him back there, they don't trust him as much as Lu to make the big save, teams always play more defensive in front of their #2 goalie than their #1.

The only reason why you would trade an elite goalie like Lu, is if you think that Cory will be better, cause they don't come around very often.

It's just been poor all around how the org. has handled this situation.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:26 AM
Scouter

vCash: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
There's an all-purpose Luongo thread, please discuss that in there if you really need to (even though it has been covered a million times). Otherwise we all know that this thread will soon be overtaken by the Schneider vs Luongo fight.
What are you talking about, this is a trading Lu thread, and what are we discussing, trading Lu of course.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:33 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
I think Toronto has definitely moved ahead of Florida in the media rumors and it's not even close.

I'm actually not that sold on that part of the comment meaning anything more than "It's not Toronto". Sure it might be a stretch, but no more of a stretch than trying to fit some of these players into the "They have to move someone else first" part.
I guess to me it sounded like he was pretty clearly saying it's a team that hasn't been talked about a whole lot. You're right that Toronto has overtaken Florida as the most talked about team, but I think everyone still knows that Florida is where Luongo wants to go. Doesn't seem like a surprise pick to me.

Just IMO and all that. Plus I don't see a whole lot that Florida would have to wait for to make this happen.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:35 AM
GoTeamDom

Players we don't expect to get traded?

Luongo for Krejci and Savard.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:36 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
I guess to me it sounded like he was pretty clearly saying it's a team that hasn't been talked about a whole lot. You're right that Toronto has overtaken Florida as the most talked about team, but I think everyone still knows that Florida is where Luongo wants to go. Doesn't seem like a surprise pick to me.

Just IMO and all that. Plus I don't see a whole lot that Florida would have to wait for to make this happen.
I think you could look at it either way: not a team anybody is thinking about, or a player anybody is thinking about. That pretty much alone eliminates Toronto.

01-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTeamDom View Post
Players we don't expect to get traded?
Perry.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:41 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Also for those suggesting we would be taking back Upshall or players like that: given MG's interview it doesn't appear he's interested in such a move at all. I expect we will get a good young player who can hell us (so probably someone people would get excited about) without taking on a cap dump.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:42 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Also for those suggesting we would be taking back Upshall or players like that: given MG's interview it doesn't appear he's interested in such a move at all. I expect we will get a good young player who can hell us (so probably someone people would get excited about) without taking on a cap dump.
Thats what I'm afraid of.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:53 AM
ranold26
Registered Loser

I think Gillis is just using spin... but for fun, I'll guess Detroit.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Timmer44

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
Could be right. He was pissed that Toronto "floated" Luongo's value to the media. He's just doing the same thing here. He even takes a shot at teams trading picks when they weren't in a position to win a cup.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:58 AM
CalgaryCanuck03
@calgarycanuck03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
Making a comment that a deal is close isn't going to help him unless it actually is close and will happen. All it does is create more of a circus around the team.

Old
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
There is just no way that's financially possible. More likely Vinny is the player that they're waiting on something to happen so they can acquire Lu.

Also I know from the radio that he hates being called Loubo, haha. More proof it's fake
People are saying now that Vinny has the worst contract in the NHL now that Gomez flushed.

Old
GoTeamDom

New prediction.

Luongo to TB for Connolly, Lecavalier.

Lecavalier bought out at the end of the season. Essentially Lu+cash for Connolly and 1 year of Vinny

Edit: nevermind. Vinny is owed like 50+ mil.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:01 AM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Man I've got my heart set on Pittsburgh now.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

The Canucks aren't going to spend $40+ million to buyout Lecavalier in order to get Connolly for Luongo...that would be the dumbest move in the history of trades.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:05 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Flury's stock has fallen.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:07 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
I believe it was reported in 2010 that Gillis was interested in Beau Bennett at the draft. He could be a target...The Pens also have about 5 defensemen in the minors I'd be interested in as well.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:07 AM
I in the Eye

My first impression was that Gillis was referring to Toronto as being who everyone thinks... I think Gillis was referring to one team who everyone thinks as well... We have a potential deal with a team... If he followed this up with not who everyone IN TORONTO thinks, it would be more clear... Regardless, I don't think Gillis is lying or bending the truth... If anything, he's gloating and saying "see, asking price not too high"...

Old
01-22-2013, 11:10 AM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I believe it was reported in 2010 that Gillis was interested in Beau Bennett at the draft. He could be a target...The Pens also have about 5 defensemen in the minors I'd be interested in as well.
My two favourite teams getting together on a trade would be incredible.

Sad part is my 2nd favourite team would likely beat us out in the finals if they had Luongo.

Pittsburgh has a lot of good prospects in the system, but mostly all on the blueline. I'm not sure that 'helps now' though.

I don't think Pitt is realistic.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:11 AM
ttam103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Flury's stock has fallen.
Thats why they got Vukoun iff/wheen fleury stumbles.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Proto

Quote:
I still think the Detroit suggestion was pretty sensible. They're a team that's going to quickly decline if they don't either find a quick fix to their defense or goaltending. That would be a waste of several more years of Datsyuk and Zetterberg.
Yeah but what do you ask for from Detroit that has enough value?

Closed Thread