HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Game 3: Blues at Blackhawks 1/22/13 at 7:30 CST

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 09:06 PM
blue bleeder 24-7

vCash: 500
...Not like we should be winning though. We've played lethargic at our best tonight. Just lazy plays and blown assignments. I know it's a back-to-back, but the Blues just don't seem to want it right now.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:07 PM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 1152
Dags getting dragged/hit down without the puck wasnt a call?

Old
01-22-2013, 09:07 PM
HarmonyOfDissonance

Send a message via AIM to HarmonyOfDissonance
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Ian Cole stepped directly in the way of the Hawks forward after he chipped it in. He bumped him. The guy changed direction to get around him, and Cole got in his way once again. That's interference.
Oh....that's interference? I could've sworn that this was hockey and it's a contact sport. Not like Cole really touched him anyway. The ref's have been absolutely brutal this game. If they want to be strict they can, I don't mind that. I do mind the lack of consistency. Heaven forbid we graze the 'Hawks, they could run Ells and get away with it.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Cudi
in the aeroplane...

vCash: 50
if we get shutout by Corey Crawford of all goalies...

Old
01-22-2013, 09:11 PM
blue bleeder 24-7

Quote:
Ian Cole stepped directly in the way of the Hawks forward after he chipped it in. He bumped him. The guy changed direction to get around him, and Cole got in his way once again. That's interference.
So a defenseman isn't even allowed to have his ice anymore?

The only other sport I watch is auto racing (not NASCAR) and when contact happens in that sport, the fault is on the guy who drifts into the others' driving line. It's not like the guy ahead moves down that it's always his fault. If it's naturally his driving line, it's not his fault.

I know no one cares about racing, but my point is... I feel like Cole's natural 'driving' line was what got him this penalty. The natural way he was going from Point A to Point B... and like, if that's the case, and defenders aren't even allowed to take their logical path anymore, then that's fine, I get it, but it seems like that's never going to be called consistently, and it's something that basically will ruin the game (not like the NHL has any qualms with doing that though!)

Old
01-22-2013, 09:11 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 1598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudi View Post
if we get shutout by Corey Crawford of all goalies...
They could have the equipment manager sitting in the crease and they'd still be pitching a shutout.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Ghost Face
Hull of Fame

The Cole penalty wouldn't seem as awful if Chicago didn't run a pick play an arms length from the referee with no call.

Old
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
First line has been fine. Oshie has 3 points and Backes 2, and they've both been fine defensively. Perron however...
Oh. Well, which line is the so-called "1st line" for the Blues? I thought the Perron-Backes-Oshie line was the 1st line.

Old
sbet1998

Thanks, Mattymo. 3 games into a shortened season on a back-to-back, playing a rival in their place in their opener. Blues have played well, but havent caught any breaks.

Oh, no... The Blues might be 2-1 after this game.

Last edited by sbet1998: 01-22-2013 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old
01-22-2013, 09:14 PM
The Note
Expectations: Low

Whatever. They're in it if they could catch a break early in the 3rd who knows.

Old
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bleeder 24-7 View Post
So a defenseman isn't even allowed to have his ice anymore?

The only other sport I watch is auto racing (not NASCAR) and when contact happens in that sport, the fault is on the guy who drifts into the others' driving line. It's not like the guy ahead moves down that it's always his fault. If it's naturally his driving line, it's not his fault.

I know no one cares about racing, but my point is... I feel like Cole's natural 'driving' line was what got him this penalty. The natural way he was going from Point A to Point B... and like, if that's the case, and defenders aren't even allowed to take their logical path anymore, then that's fine, I get it, but it seems like that's never going to be called consistently, and it's something that basically will ruin the game (not like the NHL has any qualms with doing that though!)
They just showed the play again. Cole clearly went out of his way to force the winger to the boards. It's weak, but they've said that's how they're going to call it. Blues just need to get that through their head.

Old
blue bleeder 24-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
First line has been fine. Oshie has 3 points and Backes 2, and they've both been fine defensively. Perron however...
Have those been Special Team points? I'm not convinced that first line is working Even Strength, though I could be wrong.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:16 PM
Wiems35*

Quote:
They just showed the play again. Cole clearly went out of his way to force the winger to the boards. It's weak, but they've said that's how they're going to call it. Blues just need to get that through their head.
Probably pretty confusing when the hawks get away with the same thing.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:16 PM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 1152
It seems like the interference change/enforcement might lead to wingers coming down faster and leading to more injuries in corners. Oh well.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:17 PM
blue bleeder 24-7

Quote:
It just seems like, the reason Cole went that direction was because that's just the way he turned around. He didn't squeeze the Chicago player into the boards. The fact there was contact at all was that the Chicago guy ran into Cole. That just seems silly, that Cole can't take a certain path.

It's not enough that you don't directly interfere with a player's path, now you can't indirectly interfere with it either. And if that's the case, you literally can't play defense anymore. A defender is trying to interfere with a scorer... that's his job.

I just hate that the NHL is ruining the game with these things that they think will create scoring, and all it does is create frustration. Just play the game, it's a good game when you just let it be played. But the NHL seems hell-bent on ruining hockey for anyone.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:17 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbet1998 View Post
Thanks, Mattymo. 3 games into a shortened season on a back-to-back, playing a rival in their place in their opener. Blues have played well, but havent caught any breaks.

Oh, no... The Blues might be 2-1 after this game.
Thanks to me for what? I just said the Hawks are clearly the better team. Take your homer glasses off, and you'd say the same thing. There's still plenty of time left in the season, but right now, the Hawks are playing MUCH better hockey. I'm not panicking. We will still make the playoffs quite easily.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:19 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Blues need more from the Schwartz-Berglund-Stewart line. Combined 0 shots, very little sustained pressure, and multiple execution mistakes that turned into good chances going back the other way.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Wiems35*

Quote:
Thanks to me for what? I just said the Hawks are clearly the better team. Take your homer glasses off, and you'd say the same thing. There's still plenty of time left in the season, but right now, the Hawks are playing MUCH better hockey. I'm not panicking. We will still make the playoffs quite easily.
Maybe in the first 10 minutes of the game, but the Blues have been outplaying them after that. Their goals didn't come from situations they created for themselves.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:20 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Blues need more from the Schwartz-Berglund-Stewart line. Combined 0 shots, very little sustained pressure, and multiple execution mistakes that turned into good chances going back the other way.
That play by Schwartz to break up the goal was definitely the shining moment for that line thus far. That's obviously not a good thing. That was a great play though.

EDIT: Blues need a quick one. No penalties, lots of shots on goal, and crash the net. It's going to be very tough to get 2 goals, but it's not impossible. Maybe the Hawks take a penalty or something. We need something positive early on to get the energy level up.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Izzy
#SloveniaForGold2018

vCash: 270
It ain't over yet, lets rally for a win

Old
01-22-2013, 09:24 PM
sbet1998

Quote:
I agree. But use some context. The Blues destroyed the Wings in their opener, Wings arent that bad and the Blues arent that good. No need to have any strong opinions right now.

Saying things like they cant come back in the 3rd and the Hawks are clearly the better team when the Blues played a long game last night and they are on the road facing a team playing their home opener just annoyed me. This isnt the 05-06 Blues.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

Quote:
It just seems like, the reason Cole went that direction was because that's just the way he turned around. He didn't squeeze the Chicago player into the boards. The fact there was contact at all was that the Chicago guy ran into Cole. That just seems silly, that Cole can't take a certain path.

It's not enough that you don't directly interfere with a player's path, now you can't indirectly interfere with it either. And if that's the case, you literally can't play defense anymore. A defender is trying to interfere with a scorer... that's his job.

I just hate that the NHL is ruining the game with these things that they think will create scoring, and all it does is create frustration. Just play the game, it's a good game when you just let it be played. But the NHL seems hell-bent on ruining hockey for anyone.
Exactly this. NHL's agenda for more scoring is hurting the defensemans impact on defense. If they call this sort of play on Cole, they should call EVERY pick. But they shouldn't really call either. Incidental contact more so than anything.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Thallis
We suck again!

Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
Have those been Special Team points? I'm not convinced that first line is working Even Strength, though I could be wrong.
I think one of them was PP, another was shorthanded. They've been sluggish to be sure, but not that bad.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Wiems35*

Speaking of setting picks, that linesman is getting on my nerves.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:30 PM
Izzy
#SloveniaForGold2018

vCash: 270
ehh, its lookin grim...

Closed Thread