HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

IS Tyler Seguin The Next Phil Kessel ( I Hope Not)

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 03:24 PM
Afam*

vCash: 500
IS Tyler Seguin The Next Phil Kessel ( I Hope Not)

After watching Felger and Mazz, they do make some interesting points. Seguin needs to be working the words. Go over the dirty areas and not become a Finesse Player. Believe me Felger is loud mouth who is so annoying, but he is a hockey guy and knows what he is talking about.

This is not a Bash Tyler Seguin trade because as many know here, Tyler seguin is my favorite player on the Bruins. I just dont want to see him become Phil Kessell. Kessel is a pure goal scorer with great hockey hands, but he never fights for the puck, not physical. Is too push around and can mentally be taken out of a game by a physical player. Tyler and Kessel can both score 40 gols per season, but we don't need that from Seggy. We need him to be physical, good defensive player on his own end and fight for lose pucks.

He needs to become a 2way player who fights for the puck ala Bergy but is a better scorer than Bergeron.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:26 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afam View Post
After watching Felger and Mazz, they do make some interesting points. Seguin needs to be working the words. Go over the dirty areas and not become a Finesse Player. Believe me Felger is loud mouth who is so annoying, but he is a hockey guy and knows what he is talking about.

This is not a Bash Tyler Seguin trade because as many know here, Tyler seguin is my favorite player on the Bruins. I just dont want to see him become Phil Kessell. Kessel is a pure goal scorer with great hockey hands, but he never fights for the puck, not physical. Is too push around and can mentally be taken out of a game by a physical player. Tyler and Kessel can both score 40 gols per season, but we don't need that from Seggy. We need him to be physical, good defensive player on his own end and fight for lose pucks.

He needs to become a 2way player who fights for the puck ala Bergy but is a better scorer than Bergeron.
Why?

Old
02-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Rubber Biscuit
Noted Loui Apologist

It's not going to kill this team to have one guy who's job is to score goals and put points on the board. If Seguin ends up becoming a consistent PPG player, I'll be very happy.

Hell, having two guys who weren't strictly two way guys was great. Lucic-Savard-Kessel was magical. Savard got better defensively over his time in Boston, but he was never close to Bergeron. I'd love to see Seguin one day switch to center and end up like Savard.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:33 PM
Drew311
Play Me

Toronto will trade you two 1sts and a 2nd for Seguin.

Sorry, I had to.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:34 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Biscuit View Post
It's not going to kill this team to have one guy who's job is to score goals and put points on the board. If Seguin ends up becoming a consistent PPG player, I'll be very happy.
Exactly.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Afam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Why?
Ha Ha. Hope i dont get the bergy cant score sht crowd on me now. Seriously though bergy is a great player for Seguin to modern his game after. Berg fights for the puck, work cross the dirty areas. pretty much gets his nose dirty. only thing missing from bergy game is that he doesn't have the natural gifted speed seguin has and he is not a gifted scorer.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:37 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Seguin will never be a physical player and I don't think it's fair that people are trying to force him into that mold. I think what he does now is perfect for the player that he is.. I don't think he's as soft as some people on this board say that he is, I really don't.

Comparing him to Kessel is a bit much. Seguin has more net presence than Phil ever did. He's certainly more physical than he is.

Seguin absolutely needs to have a bit of grit to his game as any hockey player needs but as for him being a 2-way player? He's far surpassed "The Thrill" as far as I'm concerned. Seen him pick too many pockets, passes and back check his ass off to call him one dimensional. He'll get there.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Paddington

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Why?

That was the best answer anybody could have given.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:38 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afam View Post
Ha Ha. Hope i dont get the bergy cant score sht crowd on me now. Seriously though bergy is a great player for Seguin to modern his game after. Berg fights for the puck, work cross the dirty areas. pretty much gets his nose dirty. only thing missing from bergy game is that he doesn't have the natural gifted speed seguin has and he is not a gifted scorer.
I think the better move would be to allow Seguin to take advantage of his skill set and work with him to get that aspect of his game to improve. Wanting him to be some steady two way player is fine, but his biggest value to this team is his offense. They can get someone else to play defensively responsible two way hockey and free Tyler up to use his creativity and speed to set up and score goals.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
We attack at 11.

I sure hope Seguin has four straight 30-goal seasons and 1 PPG season by age 25.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:43 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

here's the thing Afam

You need to take things that are said on 98.5 with a grain of salt, Mazz doesn't know much about hockey, and while I appreciate Felger's effort with covering hockey, he's a flavor of the month kinda guy. At one point he suggested the bruins trade the pick that became Seguin (plus) for Ilya kovalchuk

In regards to seguin's board play, his is noticeably better than Kessel's now and when he was 21. He's just not great at it, but, he'll get there

Old
02-12-2013, 03:45 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
I sure as hell hope so....Its always bothered me how Kessel has this he sucks tag. I think he's pretty good actually- he is what he is. The guy in Boston that got 36 goals was impressive and that goal he scored in game 6 against the Habs in the playoffs is one of my all time favorite Garden moments.

same results as Kessel but with the quick smile, flair, and looks like he's having fun- I can live with 35 a year all things considered

Old
02-12-2013, 03:46 PM
BklyNBruiN

No way.. My opinion is that Phil Kessel attitude and personality was just not a good match with the Bruins. Most importantly his play style was in contrast to what Coach Julien wanted from his players.

They're two different styles. I do think that our Coach Julien puts so much emphasis on team defense, and that defense comes first. It kind of hamstrings these pure offensive, fast skating style players as Segs.

Phil Kessel is under so much pressure in Toronto to be the man. Kind of feel bad for him a bit.

I think Seguin will be posting 20-30 goals a year. You'll see. But he will be responsible on the defensive side also..

Old
02-12-2013, 03:48 PM
BklyNBruiN

That fugitive is have a gun fight with police right now in Big Bear. Its on the News.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:48 PM
KCBRUIN
Tuukka Time

I think if Seguin is taken off Bergy's line, and put on Krejci's line permanently he'd score a lot more goals. Bergy's line is the shutdown line so why are we putting our biggest offensive threat out against teams top lines. I'd work the matchups and try and get him on the ice against weaker opponents to exploit opposing teams weaknesses. I truly believe Seguin can hold is own on Bergy's line and score plenty of goals, but I think he'll score a lot more on Krejci's wing.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:52 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBRUIN View Post
I think if Seguin is taken off Bergy's line, and put on Krejci's line permanently he'd score a lot more goals. Bergy's line is the shutdown line so why are we putting our biggest offensive threat out against teams top lines. I'd work the matchups and try and get him on the ice against weaker opponents to exploit opposing teams weaknesses. I truly believe Seguin can hold is own on Bergy's line and score plenty of goals, but I think he'll score a lot more on Krejci's wing.
I'd take that one step further and say why are they having that line act as the shutdown line? They could easily make the Pevs/Kelly/Insert stiff of the day here line be the shutdown line and free up Bergy to be more offensive. Think about it. Kelly and Peverley are good PK guys. It's not like they can't blanket the other team's top offensive line, since they do so regularly while shorthanded.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:54 PM
BklyNBruiN

Quote:
I think you're right. Also Bergy is schooling Segs to play like him. And we all know Bergy is not a pure goal scorer. He is a shut down type player as u said and a face off expert. And he loves playing defense, and back checking that's his game.

Soon we will have another Bergy named Tyler Seguin.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:56 PM
KCBRUIN
Tuukka Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNBruiN View Post
I think you're right. Also Bergy is schooling Segs to play like him. And we all know Bergy is not a pure goal scorer. He is a shut down type player as u said and a face off expert. And he loves playing defense, and back checking that's his game.

Soon we will have another Bergy named Tyler Seguin.
I can honestly say that wouldn't be all that horrible.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Afam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
here's the thing Afam

You need to take things that are said on 98.5 with a grain of salt, Mazz doesn't know much about hockey, and while I appreciate Felger's effort with covering hockey, he's a flavor of the month kinda guy. At one point he suggested the bruins trade the pick that became Seguin (plus) for Ilya kovalchuk

In regards to seguin's board play, his is noticeably better than Kessel's now and when he was 21. He's just not great at it, but, he'll get there
Thanks for the Advice. I really appreciate that. I'm liking some of the responses too the thread so far.Someone here said he needs some grit too his game and i agree. Perfect word to describe what seguin needs to do. As for hockey are the dirty areas only consist of the board areas, behind the crease/ net or are they more?

Old
02-12-2013, 03:59 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Bergy's line is the shutdown line...
Disagree. Bergy's line is another "first" or top line. There were times last season where it clearly outplayed the other "first" line. This team has two highly-productive scoring lines: Krejci's and Bergeron's.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:01 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Kessel is a great player.

Seguin will do well to start hitting Kessel's goal totals. I am guessing his physical play will always leave something to be desired.

Kessel has outperformed the contract PC didn't want to give him. Be happy it worked out and we have a Cup. No reason to hate on Phil at all.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:01 PM
BklyNBruiN

Quote:
I can honestly say that wouldn't be all that horrible.
Agreed. No doubt one of the best hockey players in the league. Bergy that is. Segs is learning to play this game the right way.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Afam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNBruiN View Post
No way.. My opinion is that Phil Kessel attitude and personality was just not a good match with the Bruins. Most importantly his play style was in contrast to what Coach Julien wanted from his players.

They're two different styles. I do think that our Coach Julien puts so much emphasis on team defense, and that defense comes first. It kind of hamstrings these pure offensive, fast skating style players as Segs.

Phil Kessel is under so much pressure in Toronto to be the man. Kind of feel bad for him a bit.

I think Seguin will be posting 20-30 goals a year. You'll see. But he will be responsible on the defensive side also..
I agree with that assertion, but tyler still needs to take advantage of his natural gifts. I believe claude doesn't mind if tyler or any offensive player takes chances scoring, but what he doesn't want his stupid turnovers on your own end like the one Dougie made last game

Old
02-12-2013, 04:03 PM
KCBRUIN
Tuukka Time

If they are put on the ice to shut down opposing teams top line, they're a shut down line IMO. Just because they score a lot, and could be considered our top line doesn't change that.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Soderberg

Felger never knows what he talks about and Seguin is not comparable to Kessel. Seguin is fine defensively and Claude needs to ease up and put him with an offensive minded center.

Closed Thread