HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Lewis had his Mowers. Does Claude have his Bourque?

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 07:16 AM
Morris Wanchuk

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Sykora still out there?

Old
01-29-2013, 07:48 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushhawg View Post
Thought this might be worthy of talking about again? Has anyone seen anything to indicate that he's worthy of 3rd line mins and PP time?
Nope. 2 shots on goal in 5 games. Anyone who tries to defend him is out of arguments.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:54 AM
Pie O My

still too early to cut bait. the kid has shown flashes of competence mixed with mediocrity. i'll get back to you all at about the 12-15 game mark and let you know if he's a bust or not. I'm sure you'll all be waiting with bated breath.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:56 AM
chippa13*

bring up robbins or start Mcdermid

promote paille

sit little ray

Old
01-29-2013, 07:57 AM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
still too early to cut bait. the kid has shown flashes of competence mixed with mediocrity. i'll get back to you all at about the 12-15 game mark and let you know if he's a bust or not. I'm sure you'll all be waiting with bated breath.
I will. I look forward to your opinions

my feeling is the kid wont last (CB)....he just isnt that level of player. I think he has some skill, but I dont think he has the "level" of skill required to play in the big club for an extended time.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:59 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Will Jay Pandolfo ever be signed ? He'd look like Brett Hull compared to Bourque.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:13 AM
Bmessy

For those of you saying that the 3rd line shoudn't have to score points and justifying Bourque's unimpressive start. Well he could atleast be decent at defense, right? His board work makes Seguin look like a beast and he avoids body contact like the plague. Many times last night I saw him try to quickly skate around a player for the puck while a more direct physical route would have been alot easier and effective. I mean if we have no expectations for our 3rd line, why not just use Pandolfo and let him be a defensive minded player.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:05 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmessy View Post
I mean if we have no expectations for our 3rd line...
Your argument breaks down right here for me. I do have expectations for the third line, just like I have for the second and first lines. I expect them to produce, though not as prodigiously as the top-6. I think the coach does, too. Perhaps you haven't read too many posts discussing this topic, but the expectations for the Bruins is three balanced, productive lines. Not one or two, but three.

My personal take is CB is dragging this line down.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:24 AM
Pie O My

Boston Bruins: Media Notes

Chris Bourque is celebrating his 27th birthday today.

Tonight's the night he turns it all around baby!

Old
01-29-2013, 10:57 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

The hysteria and overreaction on this thread is getting worse every day.

I am a huge Ryan Spooner fan and was in favor of him breaking camp with the team, but I also understand that they want him to get some more seasoning in the AHL.

I fully believe that Spooner will be up with this team in some capacity by seasons end. If not him, then someone else. If he or any other AHL player doesn't get the job done, then they will likely make a move at the deadline for a veteran winger.

But at the start of the season, Bourque was your best player in Providence and most NHL ready, with the possible exception of Tardiff. Either way, he is getting a chance to establish himself as an NHL player at the start of the season. If after 12-15 games the production has not improved, then I think we all have a right to start calling for someone else to fill the spot. But not after 5 games when the team is 4-0-1. By the way, the third line had their best offensive game last night.

It is possible that the 3rd line needs some time to build some chemistry. After all, we are five games in. Moreover, if you are going to castigate anyone on that line for their lack of production, why not pick on the guy who scored 20 goals last season and signed a 4 yr 12 mil dollar deal in the off season. Chris Kelly also needs to be better offensively, as does Pevs. Whether that line fails or succeeds will be determined more by the production of those two players than it will by whomever is skating along with them at left wing.

Bourque hasn't been great, but neither has anyone else on that line. Those other two guys need to step it up and carry that line, and we all need to give the three of them a chance to gel.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:42 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg4167 View Post
The hysteria and overreaction on this thread is getting worse every day.

I am a huge Ryan Spooner fan and was in favor of him breaking camp with the team, but I also understand that they want him to get some more seasoning in the AHL.

I fully believe that Spooner will be up with this team in some capacity by seasons end. If not him, then someone else. If he or any other AHL player doesn't get the job done, then they will likely make a move at the deadline for a veteran winger.

But at the start of the season, Bourque was your best player in Providence and most NHL ready, with the possible exception of Tardiff. Either way, he is getting a chance to establish himself as an NHL player at the start of the season. If after 12-15 games the production has not improved, then I think we all have a right to start calling for someone else to fill the spot. But not after 5 games when the team is 4-0-1. By the way, the third line had their best offensive game last night.

It is possible that the 3rd line needs some time to build some chemistry. After all, we are five games in. Moreover, if you are going to castigate anyone on that line for their lack of production, why not pick on the guy who scored 20 goals last season and signed a 4 yr 12 mil dollar deal in the off season. Chris Kelly also needs to be better offensively, as does Pevs. Whether that line fails or succeeds will be determined more by the production of those two players than it will by whomever is skating along with them at left wing.

Bourque hasn't been great, but neither has anyone else on that line. Those other two guys need to step it up and carry that line, and we all need to give the three of them a chance to gel.
Aaaahhh....you and your logic and level-headedness!

Old
01-29-2013, 03:09 PM
08SeaBass08
Lucic and Chong

Thought Bourque showed a much better game last night than the previous four. Still don't think he's more than an AHL guy, but like Pie, I'm willing to give it a bit more time. Not much, but another 5 games at least.

It's not like he's been the sole problem on that line.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:22 PM
chizzler

The kid needs a good 15 games plus to gel with his teamates. Give me a brake. 5 games in and people are wanting to move him already. Good thing they didn't do it with Marchand.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:51 PM
Johnnyduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzler View Post
The kid needs a good 15 games plus to gel with his teamates. Give me a brake. 5 games in and people are wanting to move him already. Good thing they didn't do it with Marchand.
One difference is that Marchand started on the 4th line and wasn't getting PP time. Another is that the Bruins drafted Marchand. This is already Bourque's 3rd or 4th organization.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyduke View Post
One difference is that Marchand started on the 4th line and wasn't getting PP time. Another is that the Bruins drafted Marchand. This is already Bourque's 3rd or 4th organization.
Marchand also didn't see the shootout either.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:44 PM
chippa13*

You know the world is going to end when I suggest sitting Mr 0.0 and playing Robbins or mcdermid (promoting paille up to line 3) and Glorydaze agrees.

You are slipping Joe....

#bieberhorse

Old
01-30-2013, 02:46 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
Marchand also didn't see the shootout either.
And was quite younger.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:52 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
And was quite younger.
He just got his 1st attempt last night. I don't care how old he is, he's shown he can score in this league.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Quaider*
RONDO BABY!

I was listening to D&C this AM and they were making quite a joke over the object thrown on the ice. They called it a "bagel dog" I believe.

Anyways, Gerry thought it was odd that Bourque went ahead of Marchand in the SO and wondered why Julien made that decision. That Bourque has more lifetime NHL SO attempts than Brad is amazing.

The fact that he uses his speed to head to low-traffic areas is enough to raise more than a few eyebrows. The kid hears footsteps and bails on the puck to the point where he fails to hold the puck in the offensive zone to avoid being hit. It happened at least twice last night.

I think a bigger, more aggressive body on that LW would get the sleep-walking Peverly and Kelly going. They need someone to hit and cause the turn-overs which lead to scoring chances. It's not like those two bang the body much themselves.

It was nice to give Rays kid a chance, but it's time to pull the plug.

I was ridiculed when I started this thread last week. Is it so ridiculous now?

Old
01-30-2013, 03:55 PM
SPLBRUIN

We need either a guy with size a la Caron or a high end skill guy like Spooner to complete the line. Bourque obviously has some skill but cannot do it at the NHL level, he's failed at every opportunity.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:59 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLBRUIN View Post
We need either a guy with size a la Caron or a high end skill guy like Spooner to complete the line. Bourque obviously has some skill but cannot do it at the NHL level, he's failed at every opportunity.
Exactly when as this much vaunted "size" Caron brings ever consistently translated to making any impact in the games he's played? He's been terrible to invisible most games. The topper is that he played like crap in the AHL this year before getting hurt. It's hard to see him even as a viable option right now. Maybe take a flier on Pandolfo or even Arnott since he's still out there. Internally I'd go with Spooner.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:02 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Exactly when as this much vaunted "size" Caron brings ever consistently translated to making any impact in the games he's played? He's been terrible to invisible most games. The topper is that he played like crap in the AHL this year before getting hurt. It's hard to see him even as a viable option right now. Maybe take a flier on Pandolfo or even Arnott since he's still out there. Internally I'd go with Spooner.
Arnott is a Ranger unless mistaken?

Old
01-30-2013, 04:06 PM
chippa13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Arnott is a Ranger unless mistaken?
Didn't he fail the physical?

Old
01-30-2013, 04:07 PM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
The Bruins are a well balanced team. Not sure why people are always aiming at the 3rd line guys: Pouliot is a BUM, Bourque a no good thug etc etc etc. Let's face it: offensive production should come, first and foremost, from the 1st and 2nd line and this where you best players needed to be. The 3rd line is a "backup" plan. If they produce well, then it's a bonus. In this cap era, you can't expect a team to fill his 3rd line with expensive options. Right now, Bourque is just fine.
I agree that the most offensive production should come from the top 6 but the 3rd line has to chip in when the inevitable happens and one of the top 2 lines is shut down.The reason or one of the reasons the B's won the Cup was the offensive production of the 3rd line [especially in the Montreal series].Right now,the 3rd line doesn't seem like it will be capable of providing any offense.I wouldn't call Bourque ''just fine'',he hasn't done anything to warrant keeping him around but the same could be said of Caron last year for long stretches.I would give him 3-5 more games to see if he can improve but after about ten games ,I would be looking to change it up.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:08 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zylos45 View Post
Didn't he fail the physical?
He may just have, if so I didn't hear and even more reason NOT to bring him to Boston

Closed Thread