HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Lewis had his Mowers. Does Claude have his Bourque?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-16-2013, 05:07 PM
  #401
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster
 
Random Bruins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Spooner Street
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,362
vCash: 500
He is trying hard, and I would hope so since he is a tweener trying to make it in the NHL, but he isn't really an NHL player. Chiarelli is no doubt in the market for a top 9 forward.

Random Bruins Fan is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 05:40 PM
  #402
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,877
vCash: 500
New nickname for Chris Bourque: MacBeth.

Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

EverettMike is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 05:48 PM
  #403
Fopppa
Registered User
 
Fopppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
New nickname for Chris Bourque: MacBeth.

Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Now you've done it. Mentioning the Scottish play. No good can come from this.

Fopppa is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 05:54 PM
  #404
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fopppa View Post
Now you've done it. Mentioning the Scottish play. No good can come from this.
Kind of like Chris Bourque.

EverettMike is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 05:57 PM
  #405
Fopppa
Registered User
 
Fopppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Kind of like Chris Bourque.
Touché.

Fopppa is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 06:00 PM
  #406
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,877
vCash: 500
I would just like to state this clearly: Chris Bourque doesn't do much for me as a hockey player, but the idea he is on the team because of his father is beyond asinine and is actually insulting.

EverettMike is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 06:32 PM
  #407
Gee Wally
Retired
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: HF retirement home
Country: United States
Posts: 32,822
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
I would just like to state this clearly: Chris Bourque doesn't do much for me as a hockey player, but the idea he is on the team because of his father is beyond asinine and is actually insulting.
Times 2 man.

__________________

BOSTON STRONG !!!

Go Team Hoyt !
Gee Wally is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 06:43 PM
  #408
robert terwilliger
the bart, the
 
robert terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: sw florida
Country: United States
Posts: 17,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
I would just like to state this clearly: Chris Bourque doesn't do much for me as a hockey player, but the idea he is on the team because of his father is beyond asinine and is actually insulting.
x3.

that op is more interested in slinging insults and hare-brained idiocy than refuting some of the points that were made earlier in the thread says it all.

robert terwilliger is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 10:28 PM
  #409
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 25,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
A few things I have noticed about Chris Bourque

high hockey IQ
very competitive
always seems to be around the puck
looked better on the off wing coming into the middle
has improved steadily over the past 10 games

oh, and I am just so glad a few of my friends who have forgotten more hockey than I will ever know agreed with this and helped contribute to it

DKH is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 10:43 PM
  #410
westernhome
Registered User
 
westernhome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
A few things I have noticed about Chris Bourque

high hockey IQ
very competitive
always seems to be around the puck
looked better on the off wing coming into the middle
has improved steadily over the past 10 games

oh, and I am just so glad a few of my friends who have forgotten more hockey than I will ever know agreed with this and helped contribute to it
another thing I noticed when looking at the boxscores after the games is that Bourque is consistently doing well with more takeaways than most on the team and low giveaways, and also is blocking shots... purely looking at his play from the black and white numbers of stats, I would think Claude is pretty happy with what he is accomplishing, which is a responsible game that is helping his team more than hurting on most nights

westernhome is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 10:59 PM
  #411
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal
 
The Dangley One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
I would just like to state this clearly: Chris Bourque doesn't do much for me as a hockey player, but the idea he is on the team because of his father is beyond asinine and is actually insulting.
You calling me an ass?

But seriously it's not that far fetched. Look at what the Red Sox were doing trying to bring in players who had sex appeal as oppose to just good ball players. Not crazy to think Chris is getting more rope to work with cause they want him to stick with the team cause of his dads stature with the bruins. Cam Neely basically had to beat Clode over the head with a 2x4 to get him to play Seguin on the PP hus first season and Chris bourque just walks in and is a staple on the PP from day one? Yah not buying it

The Dangley One is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 11:06 PM
  #412
westernhome
Registered User
 
westernhome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,225
vCash: 500
I dissected some stats for Bourque so far this season, I think his game is improving too recently so maybe these numbers will also improve:


Hits 5th on the team (Lucic is 1st)
Blocks 11th on the team (5th on the team for forwards)
Giveaways 15th on the team (only 2 giveaways)
Takeaways 7th on the team (Marchand is 1st)

westernhome is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 11:45 PM
  #413
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,534
vCash: 500
I like his competitiveness, but he really needs to stop shooting high glass.

ryedog* is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 11:49 PM
  #414
Mr. Make-Believe
Moderator
Pass me another nail
 
Mr. Make-Believe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Erotic Fantasies
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
A few things I have noticed about Chris Bourque

high hockey IQ
very competitive
always seems to be around the puck (emphasis highlight care of MMB)
looked better on the off wing coming into the middle
has improved steadily over the past 10 games

oh, and I am just so glad a few of my friends who have forgotten more hockey than I will ever know agreed with this and helped contribute to it
Agree completely.

I THINK: He's outmatched at this level. I believe. I just think he may not be good enough to overcome how small he is. I love his fire though and MOST things about his game otherwise.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 06:16 AM
  #415
Alicat
Charge!
 
Alicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BOSTON
Country: United States
Posts: 19,654
vCash: 500
He looked better last night but he just doesn't fit on the 3rd line and that's where the frustration comes into play.

He needs to work on his board work. He goes into corners but he blasts in and often takes out one of his teammates in the process. Last night, Pevs got steamrolled and the puck popped loose.

He gives 110% but he's a defensive liability and We simply can't have these lapses as we go into March.

We need a true 3rd line winger and we need him sooner rather than later.

__________________
"I choose to focus on the things I CAN do and am passionate about." - Sam Berns

I am Boston Strong
6.15.11
4.15.13

Alicat is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 07:33 AM
  #416
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 25,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernhome View Post
another thing I noticed when looking at the boxscores after the games is that Bourque is consistently doing well with more takeaways than most on the team and low giveaways, and also is blocking shots... purely looking at his play from the black and white numbers of stats, I would think Claude is pretty happy with what he is accomplishing, which is a responsible game that is helping his team more than hurting on most nights
I'm not saying he is going to be here long term, just he is better than I thought he'd be...I really thought he was a combination of great linemates in the AHL, some skills, and the name.....a little of this, a little of that- same reason why Jared Staal got drafted in the second round, and Wayne Primeau and Rocky Trottier in the first.

What Bourque has done to me is make me look for him on every shift- I've become for whatever reason obsessed with watching what he does I dont know how to explain it, part of me is in doubt, part of me roots for him, but whatever I just watch and watch to see what he does. He has become a game within a game to me

DKH is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 08:11 AM
  #417
4ORRBRUIN
Registered User
 
4ORRBRUIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: boston
Country: United States
Posts: 2,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I'm not saying he is going to be here long term, just he is better than I thought he'd be...I really thought he was a combination of great linemates in the AHL, some skills, and the name.....a little of this, a little of that- same reason why Jared Staal got drafted in the second round, and Wayne Primeau and Rocky Trottier in the first.

What Bourque has done to me is make me look for him on every shift- I've become for whatever reason obsessed with watching what he does I dont know how to explain it, part of me is in doubt, part of me roots for him, but whatever I just watch and watch to see what he does. He has become a game within a game to me
I have to say he was one of the better Bruins last night. Lets hope he can build on it.

4ORRBRUIN is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 08:20 AM
  #418
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dangley One View Post
You calling me an ass?

But seriously it's not that far fetched. Look at what the Red Sox were doing trying to bring in players who had sex appeal as oppose to just good ball players. Not crazy to think Chris is getting more rope to work with cause they want him to stick with the team cause of his dads stature with the bruins. Cam Neely basically had to beat Clode over the head with a 2x4 to get him to play Seguin on the PP hus first season and Chris bourque just walks in and is a staple on the PP from day one? Yah not buying it
Totally far fetched. Give it up.

EverettMike is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 08:28 AM
  #419
hoss75
Registered User
 
hoss75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cambridge, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dangley One View Post
You calling me an ass?

hoss75 is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 08:31 AM
  #420
hoss75
Registered User
 
hoss75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cambridge, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernhome View Post
I dissected some stats for Bourque so far this season, I think his game is improving too recently so maybe these numbers will also improve:


Hits 5th on the team (Lucic is 1st)
Blocks 11th on the team (5th on the team for forwards)
Giveaways 15th on the team (only 2 giveaways)
Takeaways 7th on the team (Marchand is 1st)
I think that the guy is serviceable and his stats prove that. He isn't a potential play maker like Kelly or Pevs and that bothers people. But with Cap problems on the horizon, I think as long as he continues to hustle, he'll be on the team as a space filler.

hoss75 is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 08:49 AM
  #421
bme44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss75 View Post
I think that the guy is serviceable and his stats prove that. He isn't a potential play maker like Kelly or Pevs and that bothers people. But with Cap problems on the horizon, I think as long as he continues to hustle, he'll be on the team as a space filler.
That is exactly what Bourque is , a cheap space filler till someone is found that can make the third line complete. I think the plan was for Caron to be that guy and still might very well be the plan . I expect Caron to be called up around the first of March if he is showing he is worthy of it. I am still thinking Caron is the man for the Third line ,Bourque is simply to small.

bme44 is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 08:58 AM
  #422
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
I would just like to state this clearly: Chris Bourque doesn't do much for me as a hockey player, but the idea he is on the team because of his father is beyond asinine and is actually insulting.
Precisely, moved for a guy who provided this organization with nothing in Hamil, so Bourque has clearly helped both this team and the PB`s far more than Zach but if the playoffs were starting today, that 3rd line and lack of a guy who can work the boards with consistency and win those battles more than lose them, I`d feel a whole lot better.

Love his effort, love his willingness, but for him to be his most effective, I think he needs to be in an organization who`d give him the opportunity to play with higher skilled players, truth is, he isn`t going to have that chance in Boston which isn`t necessarily a bad thing. He`s asserted himself reasonably well and may have a team or two interested at the deadline if there`s a deal out there for someone better suited to take that spot.

I see a Pouliot thread has begun, I don`t think it was a mistake to let him walk, I think it was a mistake by Chia to not replace him with a guy like a Pouliot who has the frame to win those puck battles which often enabled a Kelly/Pevs to get that puck out of tight spots. I think maybe Chia thought Caron would be that guy but untimely injury(ies) have prevented that.

ODAAT is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 09:00 AM
  #423
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 11,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I'm not saying he is going to be here long term, just he is better than I thought he'd be...I really thought he was a combination of great linemates in the AHL, some skills, and the name.....a little of this, a little of that- same reason why Jared Staal got drafted in the second round, and Wayne Primeau and Rocky Trottier in the first.

What Bourque has done to me is make me look for him on every shift- I've become for whatever reason obsessed with watching what he does I dont know how to explain it, part of me is in doubt, part of me roots for him, but whatever I just watch and watch to see what he does. He has become a game within a game to me
I'm doing the same thing,he's around the puck on every shift and making some very good decisions with it.

BNHL is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 09:30 AM
  #424
Killer B
Honey Badger
 
Killer B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 557
vCash: 500
I find it hard to believe that the Bruins would give Bourque special tratment because of who his father is, but there have been some odd decisions that have been hard to rationalize...

- How on earth does Bourque end up on one of the PP units?
- How does Bourque end up in the top 3 of the shootout?
- How on earth does Bourque end up on the 1st line (in Looch's absence)?

I look at how cautiously Seguin was used his first year (3rd or 4th line, sheltered minutes, pressbox, etc) and can't really figure out how and why Chris Bourque has literally been given every chance and opportunity to shine.

Just weird (at least to me)...

Killer B is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 09:51 AM
  #425
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal
 
The Dangley One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Totally far fetched. Give it up.
Solid argument.

The Dangley One is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.