HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lewis had his Mowers. Does Claude have his Bourque?

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Rubber Biscuit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer B View Post
I find it hard to believe that the Bruins would give Bourque special tratment because of who his father is, but there have been some odd decisions that have been hard to rationalize...

- How on earth does Bourque end up on one of the PP units?
- How does Bourque end up in the top 3 of the shootout?
- How on earth does Bourque end up on the 1st line (in Looch's absence)?

I look at how cautiously Seguin was used his first year (3rd or 4th line, sheltered minutes, pressbox, etc) and can't really figure out how and why Chris Bourque has literally been given every chance and opportunity to shine.

Just weird (at least to me)...
1. He was running the PP from the point in Providence. I don't know how successful they were, but that's probably why he was there.

2. From what I've read, the shootout order is usually determined by the in-practice shootouts. He might be 10 for 10 in those. We have no idea.

3. He's been getting better each game. He was having a really solid game last night. He plays left wing. Peverley didn't look too good with Krejci and Horton. Peverley and Kelly usually have great chemistry and belong together.

As far as comparing him to Seguin... Bourque's 27. Not 18. He's played for years. At this point, they aren't trying to develop him, as they did with Seguin. They're trying to get anything out of him.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:08 AM
remer

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that the Bruins would give Bourque special tratment because of who his father is, but there have been some odd decisions that have been hard to rationalize...

I look at how cautiously Seguin was used his first year (3rd or 4th line, sheltered minutes, pressbox, etc) and can't really figure out how and why Chris Bourque has literally been given every chance and opportunity to shine.

Well unless they can say to Ray, we gave him every opportunity and he did nothing much with it, so we are sending him back to the AHL

12 games 1 G 2 A 3 Pts -4

They have given him regular minutes. Top line duty. PP time with the 2nd unit.

He's not that good. Their is a reason he hasn't played much in the NHL. Too small.
Gets knocked off the puck a lot. But he's Ray's son.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:16 AM
Fopppa

Quote:
I'll give this a stab... here's my take, but keep in mind that I'm not really a "pro-C.Bourque" guy (see post on previous page), I'm just trying to rationalize here:
Quote:
-He does undoubtedly have some skill and scoring prowess given his AHL numbers, and with the dearth of offensive skill on the back end the Bs have played quite a bit with just one D on the PP thus far this season. Leaving potentially 8 forward slots on two PP units. He is, and should be, ahead of the Merlot line and Kelly in terms of creativity and puck skills.
Quote:
-Not really awfully relevant, is it? He might be a wiz at it in practice, or it might be a way for Claude to try to build his confidence a bit.
Quote:
-I didn't watch last night's game so I might be way off here, but didn't Pevs start off there and Bourque got some time toward the end of the game? I'd imagine it might be a way to see if he might be a short-term fit there if Looch misses more time, considering three RH-shots on the same line isn't ideal (nor is obviously three LH-shots on the 3rd line).
Quote:

-Bourque, I believe, is 27. Seguin was 18 when he started his rookie season (or maybe he had turned 19, can't really remember). A coach tries to build good habits in a mouldable teenager and possible franchise player, while a 27-year old player with multiple pro seasons below his belt is used for what he is good at now, not really looking to the future. And besides, if this team had the likes of Recchi and Ryder on the depth chart right now, Bourque would obviously not be playing a prominent role either.

I don't think who his dad is has anything at all to do with the chances he's given. He was obviously a bit of a "romantic" acquisition, but since we gave up nothing (or less) that's alright with me. He did very well in the AHL during the lockout and made the team fair and square. That he's still there might be more due to injuries (Caron, Knight, Sauve) than anything he has accomplished, but I really can't see any way around that he's there on merit so far. An argument may be made for Spooner, but he's probably better off with first line minutes in the AHL at this point in his career and he's seemingly thriving.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:20 AM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

I think Bourque played his best game of the season against the Jets. In fact, I think he looked darn good. Not just for him, but for anyone.

I've been hard on Petey and Co for the Bourque move but that's because I don't see him as the right fit for that 3rd line. I think they need a power element on that line and Bourque doesn't bring that.

That said, Bourque does have skill and drive and (IMO) has been improving steadily since the healthy scratch (6 games ago). He was all over the puck last night. He forced turnovers, got to loose pucks and created chances for his linemates. He reminded me a little of first-year-Marchand: Just flying around the ice, beating everyone to pucks.

I still don't think he's the right fit for the Peverley line, and the production still isn't there, but if he keeps playing like he did last night, then he deserves to be in the NHL- even though I don't know where to play him.

02-18-2013, 11:28 AM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

Quote:
bourque has scored 132 goals in the ahl. 47 were powerplay goals. he seemed to have a pretty good head for the powerplay in the ahl and the team thought it might translate. he's certainly not eating up all of the powerplay time (he averages about two minutes a game, which is likely driven up by the otl against the rags where he had over 4:30 in powerplay time, which was up with the leaders in that game. keep in mind for that game against the rags, i believe bourque was playing the point for seidenberg. if you knock that game out, he's averaging under 2 minutes a game.

Quote:
why is bergeron in every shootout even though the goalie knows exactly what he's going to do? no coach is perfect. i don't think ray bourque is threatening claude to put his son in the shootout.

Quote:
peverley skated with the top line too. i think it was just claude plugging guys in. nobody played more than bergeron and krejci, both over 18 minutes, and bourque had :27 seconds of powerplay time, in which the powerplay scored a goal. ice time was pretty spread out last night.

Quote:

seguin was what? 18? bourque is 25. sticking him in the pressbox isn't accomplishing anything. he is what he is. he's not killing the team right now.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:38 AM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
17/46/18/19/63/37/49/33/27 are all already on the PP. That's every skill player we have but it's only 9 guys so we need one more.

Out of the guy's left, who's more skilled/has the potential to do something on the PP: Paille, McQuaid, Ference, Boychuk, Campbell, Thornton or Bourque?

I'd say that, given his skill-set, PP experience and the fact that we need more LH shots on the PP, it isn't a shock to me that Bourque gets the 10th spot.

Quote:
This question has come up before (when guys like Axelsson have been given opportunities to shoot) and I believe the answer is that they base the extra spot on whoever wins it in practice. (Seguin and Bergy seem to be locks even though Krejci has a better career shootout% than Bergy.)

Quote:
He earned it.

He started on the 3rd line and played well. Peverley started on the 1st line and they were -2 after 2. So they switched 'em up.

Quote:
Seguin was sheltered because Seguin played timid and wasn't willing to do the little things that win games (like getting to pucks first knowing you're going to get hit, like battling for pucks, and competing physically). He had to get comfortable and adjust and it took time.

Bourque (and Hamilton) haven't have any problems adjusting to the physical/intimidating part of the game and with that out of the way they're allowed to just go play and learn the system.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:53 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
I think Bourque played his best game of the season against the Jets. In fact, I think he looked darn good. Not just for him, but for anyone.

I've been hard on Petey and Co for the Bourque move but that's because I don't see him as the right fit for that 3rd line. I think they need a power element on that line and Bourque doesn't bring that.

That said, Bourque does have skill and drive and (IMO) has been improving steadily since the healthy scratch (6 games ago). He was all over the puck last night. He forced turnovers, got to loose pucks and created chances for his linemates. He reminded me a little of first-year-Marchand: Just flying around the ice, beating everyone to pucks.

I still don't think he's the right fit for the Peverley line, and the production still isn't there, but if he keeps playing like he did last night, then he deserves to be in the NHL- even though I don't know where to play him.
Totally agree, thought he looked well against Buffalo too. Seems like there is a jump in his step that is absent from much of the roster. Maybe he's past the nerves he had early in the year and he's not questioning every move. Maybe he's not pressing himself too much to score. Maybe it's just a hot streak. Whatever it is it's good to see the game he had in Providence show up in Boston.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:28 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
I think Bourque played his best game of the season against the Jets. ...if he keeps playing like he did last night, then he deserves to be in the NHL- even though I don't know where to play him.
Let's keep last night's game in perspective. This is the old Thrasher team. They aren't very strong, and I was reading yesterday (I think, could've been this morning) that this team is a hair's breadth away from being dismantled and rebuilt.

I couldn't watch the game because I was suffering from a power outage, but I was quite surprised that the Bruins struggled the way they did against this team. He may have had a good game yesterday, but I don't think that's a great measure to use.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Stone Clode Stunner

You know who Chris Bourque is outplaying? His linemate, Chris Kelly.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:46 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
Let's keep last night's game in perspective. This is the old Thrasher team. They aren't very strong, and I was reading yesterday (I think, could've been this morning) that this team is a hair's breadth away from being dismantled and rebuilt.

I couldn't watch the game because I was suffering from a power outage, but I was quite surprised that the Bruins struggled the way they did against this team. He may have had a good game yesterday, but I don't think that's a great measure to use.
Then a poorer measurement for all those that didn't play as well as Bourque,which was just about everyone.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Quaider*
RONDO BABY!

Quote:

My take is this: "Daddy says I get to play." "Daddy says I get to go third in the shootout". "Daddy says I get to be on the PP unit." "Daddy says I get to be on the first line while Looch is gone." j/k

Seriously though. It makes me wonder. Also, Julien had him out there when the Jets pulled their goalie. You know he was just praying for Chris to get an EN goal to help his stats look better.

Is the Lewis/Mowers, Julien/Bourque thing all that far fetched these days? Nope!

Old
02-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Rubber Biscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushhawg View Post
My take is this: "Daddy says I get to play." "Daddy says I get to go third in the shootout". "Daddy says I get to be on the PP unit." "Daddy says I get to be on the first line while Looch is gone." j/k

Seriously though. It makes me wonder. Also, Julien had him out there when the Jets pulled their goalie. You know he was just praying for Chris to get an EN goal to help his stats look better.

Is the Lewis/Mowers, Julien/Bourque thing all that far fetched these days? Nope!
Or he was hoping Bourque could score a goal and maybe boost his confidence and get him going offensively.

Or even better: He was rewarding a guy who played his best game of the season by far.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:02 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:

I live near Wilmington and catch their practices now and then and Bourque has got sick moves on the one on one's. Maybe Claude is watching too

Old
02-18-2013, 01:10 PM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:

I'll ask again, because I don't recall an answer the last time: what makes you think that Neely/Chiarelli/Julien would put out anything less than the line-up that puts the team in the best position to win? Why are they more concerned with throwing a bone to a former Bruin than to winning games?

And, yes, the Lewis/Mowers, Julien/Bourque thing is still very far fetched, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I live near Wilmington and catch their practices now and then and Bourque has got sick moves on the one on one's. Maybe Claude is watching too
Can't be something like that, DKH - no way it's just the coach watching practices and going with what he thinks will win games. It has to be something like "a former player asked us nicely to do this" situation.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:14 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
What an insult to Raymond Bourque. Does anyone really think he would push his son on the Bruins? Man has nothing but pride.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:20 PM
rcduthie77

Quote:

Bill, if the Bruins make a forward addition around the deadline I would love to see the lines juggled to put Horton with Peverley and Bourque. With the way Bourque has steadily improved and the chemistry he and Peverley have been starting to build, they can continue to fly around and Horton would give them the bigger body, with some skill they need.

Also would allow Kelly to move between Campbell and Paille to create the an awesome shutdown line.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:22 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the overrated View Post
I'll ask again, because I don't recall an answer the last time: what makes you think that Neely/Chiarelli/Julien would put out anything less than the line-up that puts the team in the best position to win? Why are they more concerned with throwing a bone to a former Bruin than to winning games?

And, yes, the Lewis/Mowers, Julien/Bourque thing is still very far fetched, IMHO.

Can't be something like that, DKH - no way it's just the coach watching practices and going with what he thinks will win games. It has to be something like "a former player asked us nicely to do this" situation.
There is 0.0 chance that any one of Julien, Chiarelli, Neely, or Bourque pushed for anything of the sort. We're not talking about some Pee Wee travel team where your buddy lent you a snowblower during the blizzard or so and sos mom looks great in yoga pants so we'll throw them a bone. These are people's livelihoods. Do we not think that Julien, Neely, and Chiarelli having drank from the cup don't want a 2nd one even more? These guys will do anything to win.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:28 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
Then a poorer measurement for all those that didn't play as well as Bourque,which was just about everyone.
Yes. Agreed.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:31 PM
Son of Marshmont
Classless Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the overrated View Post

Those questions were posed numerous times in this thread, and it's never been answered. You might as well wait for unicorns to piss skittles before you see any rational, fact-based answer that doesn't stray from the tinfoil hat variety.

The stats from Bourque's time on the PP in Providence aren't enough to convince some that the guy might have some transferable talent, stats be damned.

The small list of Bruins skill players available for the power play necessitating Bourque's presence on the unit doesn't matter.

I appreciate the debate of Bourque's skills because there's discussion available there. But the insistence by some that it's a plot generated by one of the most respected legends of this organization to get his kid playing time is beyond asinine. It's uneducated, naive, and frankly one of the dumber things I've ever read in many years of following sports.

God, I hate this thread with the heat of a thousand suns.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:34 PM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
What an insult to Raymond Bourque. Does anyone really think he would push his son on the Bruins? Man has nothing but pride.
Who says its ray doing it?

Old
02-18-2013, 01:39 PM
MaCam

This guy can't catch a break around here even when we're winning like we are now. He was the best Bruin on the ice last night. It's not like his two linemates are lighting it up either.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:44 PM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaCam View Post
This guy can't catch a break around here even when we're winning like we are now. He was the best Bruin on the ice last night. It's not like his two linemates are lighting it up either.
I thought Seguin was but regardless, one game here and there isn't gunna cut it.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:58 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:

No, you answered your questions. He is a 13th forward who can play on the first line. That means when Lucic has off ice family issues Chris takes his spot and we don't lose anything or weaken the third line like we would promoting Peverley to Lucic's spot. There is no reason not to give him chances to succeed.

His cap number helps the team next year and compensates for the bad contracts we have. Having him capable of holding down a top 9 spot lets us make moves and add salary.

I don't think he is amazing and would probably like to swap him and Paille but he is contributing and has been a good signing.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:24 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaCam View Post

Bourque is damned either way. Peverley and Kelly are under performing BECAUSE of Bourque. At least that's the answer I get when I bring up that very same fact.

Look.. Bourque isn't exactly a mainstay or core player and if Chia can get an upgrade by the deadline for that line then I am absolutely all for it. But until then, Bourque is playing just fine and infact had a hell of a game last night.

Personally I'm going to keep rooting him on and hope he keeps getting better and better until Chiarelli decides to make a move rather than make him a goat.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:36 PM
Bruinator

How dare Claude put Chris on the PP and ruin the tremendous chemistry and success we were having with it. lol

Closed Thread