HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lewis had his Mowers. Does Claude have his Bourque?

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2013, 12:02 PM
remer

vCash: 500
Can't believe how everyone is getting so twisted on this issue.
Can we not debate the merit of a player?
He is a 5'8" player who being given a chance to take the third line LW on this team.
At this point he has been given every opportunity to succeed and he has produced 3points and a -4.
Yes, he has played okay at times, but nothing great.
Yes he is a cheap replacement, but the third line has struggled.
Yes, Kelly and Peverely have struggled as well.
Yes, we have 9 million in cap space and one wonders how long Chris will have to audition for the Bruins.
But, management will decide and we are all entitled to our opinions on what management might or should do.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Quaider*
RONDO BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelvl View Post
On another note, OP, I don't see how we can have Dave Lewis in the same sentence as Claude Julien.
It's not comparing their coaching skills but rather their strange devotion to a particular player. In this case I actually think Julien has shown more of an unusual fondness for Bourque than Lewis did Mowers.

I don't remember Mowers on the PP, the SO or getting such a huge amount of ice, even on the first line as Bourque does. Mowers actually did more at the NHL level than Bourque ever has or ever will.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Rubber Biscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushhawg View Post
It's not comparing their coaching skills but rather their strange devotion to a particular player. In this case I actually think Julien has shown more of an unusual fondness for Bourque than Lewis did Mowers.

I don't remember Mowers on the PP, the SO or getting such a huge amount of ice, even on the first line as Bourque does. Mowers actually did more at the NHL level than Bourque ever has or ever will.
It's been answered numerous times why Julien has used Bourque in those situations.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Quaider*
RONDO BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Biscuit View Post
It's been answered numerous times why Julien has used Bourque in those situations.
Really? What was the final, correct, be-all-end-all, beyond a reasonable doubt answer? I must have somehow missed it.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:59 PM
Rubber Biscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushhawg View Post
Really? What was the final, correct, be-all-end-all, beyond a reasonable doubt answer? I must have somehow missed it.
You know what I mean. Several people have answered your questions with logical responses. You've ignored them all. Why? Is it because they make a hell of a lot more sense than the idea that Ray Bourque is using his influence to get his son on the team?

Old
02-19-2013, 01:26 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He's the deaf,dumb and blind kid.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Killer B
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dangley One View Post
There's a difference between breaking in at 21 and 27

I agree...

If your a good player, you're in the NHL long before the age of 27...

Old
02-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Rubber Biscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer B View Post
I agree...

If your a good player, you're in the NHL long before the age of 27...
Rich Peverley bounced between the NHL and AHL until he was 26. I'd say he's pretty good.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:08 PM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dangley One View Post
Exactly he wasn't able to crack two separate rosters. He's not the 1st guy that was a very good ahler but just wasn't cut out for the pros.

You don't have time in the shortened season to mess around and expirement like this. They need the 3rd line to play like it did last season and be am anchor. Kelly and pev where here last season bourque is the wild card (not trying to but all the blame on bourque) but Kelly and pev aren't going anywhere so something has to give. The experiment needs to end, call up the next guy and give him a shot.
I agree with you but considering Bourque did play very well in his last game,I don't think it is time to pull the plug just yet.Let's give him three more games and see if he can keep playing the same way.I don't think Bourque is the solution to the 3rd line but I don't recall Caron ever playing the way Bourque did in his last game,I know the scoreboard doesn't reflect that.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Killer B
Honey Badger

Quote:
Rich Peverley bounced between the NHL and AHL until he was 26. I'd say he's pretty good.
It's fairly easy to find a few players who are and exception to the rule (Tim Thomas), but the fact remains - the average age a player enters the NHL is well under 27...

Kind of a cool site: http://www.quanthockey.com/Distribut...stribution.php

Really shows that if you haven't made it to the NHL by the age of 22/23, your odds of making it drop pretty dramatically.

I love Pevs btw... Had the chance to watch him pretty regularly when he played for the Milwaukee Admirals! Everybody knew he would be a star (as well as Weber, Rinne and Suter).

Old
02-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Killer B
Honey Badger

If Bourque (or Looch) gets injured, I think I have their replacement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren_Haydar

Old
02-19-2013, 03:26 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer B View Post
It's fairly easy to find a few players who are and exception to the rule (Tim Thomas), but the fact remains - the average age a player enters the NHL is well under 27...

Kind of a cool site: http://www.quanthockey.com/Distribut...stribution.php

Really shows that if you haven't made it to the NHL by the age of 22/23, your odds of making it drop pretty dramatically.

I love Pevs btw... Had the chance to watch him pretty regularly when he played for the Milwaukee Admirals! Everybody knew he would be a star (as well as Weber, Rinne and Suter).
89 players in the last 10 years made their debut at 27 or older. Bourque was 22.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
He's the deaf,dumb and blind kid.
But does he play a mean pinball?

If people repeatedly answer a question with strong, reasoned analyses, and those responses are ignored, that means one thing only: Troll.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:44 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Recently Bourque has played with more confidence, which is good. He's starting to get better chances and make some things happen from time to time. I like his motor and energy...occasionally reminds me of Marchand for a shift or two.

Still, an upgrade in that spot would be ideal; someone with more size preferably.

Old
02-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Killer B
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
89 players in the last 10 years made their debut at 27 or older. Bourque was 22.

Since 2000:

118 players made their debut at 27 and older / 1,618 players made their debut at 26 and younger

The stats don't tell the real story (players like Bourque or Pev, who each got a sniff of action but no real substaintial
playing time until much later in life)...

Old
02-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Quaider*
RONDO BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
But does he play a mean pinball?

If people repeatedly answer a question with strong, reasoned analyses, and those responses are ignored, that means one thing only: Troll.
Ok, what was the strong, reasoned analyes? I had no idea that anyone here had the definitive answer. Clearly you do so I'd love to hear it.

It looks to me and obviously at least a few others that there's no reason for CB to still be on the roster let alone continually put in postition to succeed. (PP, 1st line, SO, being on the ice to try for an empty-netter, etc, etc, etc)

Old
02-19-2013, 06:57 PM
HooperDrivesTheBoat
2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!

Surprised this thread lasted so long.

"In Circles"

Click

Closed Thread