HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Detroit Signs Kent Huskins

Old
01-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Petes2424

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
Smith has been poor both games.
But nobody is sending him down. Nor should they
Did you not watch game one? Smith might have been Detroit's best player. If you dont believe me, ask his coach. Me even made mention of it.

Brenden Smith is legitimate. Anyone who disputes that simply doesnt watch.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:02 PM
kducks
Duck Off

vCash: 5600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
has this dude even been skating ? better be cheap. Replacement for Colliacavo who's hurt again
He has been skating out here. He played in a charity game last month with Ducks/Kings players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
Who the hell is Kent Huskins?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagrbombs19 View Post
Kent who?

Yet his name is on that big shiny silver thing.

kducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:11 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by loLZokAY View Post
You need to understand who Brendan Smith is, and what his identity is. You already admitted that you knew about Smith's defensive game. Every Red Wings has known about this, since the start of his development. We've been able to watch in year in and out become a better offensively minded defense men, it's what he's been developed into. He is a poise puck mover, so when you pair him with kyle quincey... what do you expect out of him? Seriously? You're calling people foolish and dishonest for blaming things on Quincey but it's called for. We know the role Smith plays, but he can't play it if he doesn't have help on the other side. Quincey has been BRUTAL these first two games, which forces Smith out of his element. Give Smith the partner he actually needs, and you'll see what we expect out of him. There's reasons why he is in the Calder talks, and why he held #9 on most list, he's an offensive player. If you sit there and try to critque his defense, you're going to be sadly mistaken and disappointed. So no, no one is being foolish here, you just need to understand the player that Smith is, and what to expect out of him.
Bunch of excuses is all I read in your wall of text. How you can possibly blame Quincey for Smith's boneheaded defensive breakdowns is beyond me.

If Smith continues to play this way then all he is winning is a trip to Grand Rapids (or maybe a trade), not a calder trophy. Smith was atrocious last night and was a disappointment in the AHL this year. It was suppose to be his year to shine, but not looking so good...

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:16 PM
biturbo19

Well that's Lidstrom replaced then.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:30 PM
loLZokAY
str8 gonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
Bunch of excuses is all I read in your wall of text. How you can possibly blame Quincey for Smith's boneheaded defensive breakdowns is beyond me.

If Smith continues to play this way then all he is winning is a trip to Grand Rapids (or maybe a trade), not a calder trophy. Smith was atrocious last night and was a disappointment in the AHL this year. It was suppose to be his year to shine, but not looking so good...
Things must just go over your head really easily. "Hey, we know he has defensive problems (as you even admitted it) and that he is an offensive defensemen but GOD DID YOU SEE THE KIDS DEFENSIVE BREAKDOWNS? I MEAN GOD!" Dude. Exactly. We KNOW his defensive game isn't what it should be. It's not why we developed him!! We developed him for his OFFENSIVE AND PUCK MOVING ABILITIES. What does this need to do with defensive capabilities? I don't even know why you're mad at him, when you EXPECT his defensive game to be ******. There's a reason why he led the GRR in points for defensemen. There's a reason why he has 20 points this season in 32 games. When he fails to move the puck and doesn't produce like he should, THEN you have something to ***** about. But unfortunately for you, he's damn near at .5 PPG in the NHL right now.

loLZokAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:36 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Even as a Blues fan, the Wings could have done a lot worse in an emergency situation like this. Huskins is a solid third pairing defenseman. He's way less prone to brain fart turnovers that some other former Blue the Wings have (cough...Colaiacovo...cough). Biggest question is will he stay healthy.

Vladys Gumption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:49 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by loLZokAY View Post
Things must just go over your head really easily. "Hey, we know he has defensive problems (as you even admitted it) and that he is an offensive defensemen but GOD DID YOU SEE THE KIDS DEFENSIVE BREAKDOWNS? I MEAN GOD!" Dude. Exactly. We KNOW his defensive game isn't what it should be. It's not why we developed him!! We developed him for his OFFENSIVE AND PUCK MOVING ABILITIES. What does this need to do with defensive capabilities? I don't even know why you're mad at him, when you EXPECT his defensive game to be ******. There's a reason why he led the GRR in points for defensemen. There's a reason why he has 20 points this season in 32 games. When he fails to move the puck and doesn't produce like he should, THEN you have something to ***** about. But unfortunately for you, he's damn near at .5 PPG in the NHL right now.
Oh great, a poor man's Green. Yaaay?

Old
01-22-2013, 03:01 PM
loLZokAY
str8 gonger

Quote:
Oh great, a poor man's Green. Yaaay?
basically.

loLZokAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:09 PM
Petes2424

Quote:

Dude, you're either one of Kyle Quincey's two left feet or you simply dont and havent watched Smith play. Younger guys always have oops moments, but his flashes of being really good far outweigh any negatives he brings to the table.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:15 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Dude, you're either one of Kyle Quincey's two left feet or you simply dont and havent watched Smith play. Younger guys always have oops moments, but his flashes of being really good far outweigh any negatives he brings to the table.
I live about 20 minutes from Van Andel Arena and gone to many Griffins game, admittedly, I am not a season ticket holder, but should be. Have you watched Smith play this year?

Quincey is a none factor to Smith's god-awful boneheaded play (here and in the AHL). Are you a season ticket holder at the Van?

Old
01-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
I live about 20 minutes from Van Andel Arena and gone to many Griffins game, admittedly, I am not a season ticket holder, but should be. Have you watched Smith play this year?

Quincey is a none factor to Smith's god-awful boneheaded play (here and in the AHL). Are you a season ticket holder at the Van?
I was a proponent for getting Quincey back last year but he has been downright horrible in both games. And while Smith has made some mistakes, once again, his bright spots lend to the opinion he has the skill set to become a top 2 defenseman in the NHL.

I'll take my own eyes and the comments from his coaches, managers, etc to form my opinions on Smith. I've watched him play as much as anyone in the last 5 years. Im just not sure you recognize the skill set needed to be a very good defenseman at any level, especially in the NHL. Your comments can only lead me to that opinion.

Just honestly not sure what you're watching. If you're looking for perfection in a player with less than 50 games played in the NHL, you're going to be a very frustrated fan. Brenden Smith is the last thing Detroit should be worrying about.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
OH **** THAT'S IT!

Stanley Cup here we come!

Brewsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:33 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
I was a proponent for getting Quincey back last year but he has been downright horrible in both games. And while Smith has made some mistakes, once again, his bright spots lend to the opinion he has the skill set to become a top 2 defenseman in the NHL.

I'll take my own eyes and the comments from his coaches, managers, etc to form my opinions on Smith. I've watched him play as much as anyone in the last 5 years. Im just not sure you recognize the skill set needed to be a very good defenseman at any level, especially in the NHL. Your comments can only lead me to that opinion.

Just honestly not sure what you're watching. If you're looking for perfection in a player with less than 50 games played in the NHL, you're going to be a very frustrated fan. Brenden Smith is the last thing Detroit should be worrying about.
You keep talking about how bad Quincey was but he wasn't even the worst defenseman on the team. Smith won that award.

Will he get better? Sure hope so, he's regressed this year. Some speculate he is overrated. Jury is still out... but this year might not be a good year for "on the job training" when he is better off in the AHL to learn basic defensive fundamentals... because right now, he's just atrocious. Maybe Holland can package him up and ship him out for Zach Bogosian who is younger and has more talent.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:00 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
You keep talking about how bad Quincey was but he wasn't even the worst defenseman on the team. Smith won that award.

Will he get better? Sure hope so, he's regressed this year. Some speculate he is overrated. Jury is still out... but this year might not be a good year for "on the job training" when he is better off in the AHL to learn basic defensive fundamentals... because right now, he's just atrocious. Maybe Holland can package him up and ship him out for Zach Bogosian who is younger and has more talent.
Once again, see Babcock's comments about Smith's play.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Takao
kesbae

Nice to see Husky still playing.

Takao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:21 PM
Clowe Me

Go get Wallin and you'll have 1/2 of SJ's 2011 defense.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:43 PM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
Never thought I'd live to hear Wings fans say that their team sucks.
You'll find that Wings fans are the most inveterately spoiled, pessimistic fans in hockey.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Line View Post
Holland is such a boss with all these Dmen he's signed the past few years. Detroit defense is looking lethal right now:

Suter-Edler
Kronwall-Wizniewski
Huskins-Quincey

Diesel.
Wizniewski has a grievance against the Wings stemming back from his father's time in the NHL; Suter chose to go to Minnesota with Parise; and Edler was never even on the market.

Nice try, though.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:07 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Huskins really surprised Blues fans early last season. Very sound overall play. But after his injury, he wasn't the same and he struggled. More recovery time could be just what the doctor ordered, but that streak of good play (next to Pietrangelo) could be more of a fluke than the norm from here on out.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

St. Louis Blues re-union tour!!!

I'm good with the signing. I thought Ken Holland was going to sit on his hands and ride the storm out like he usually does, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:08 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Rangers missing the boat again.

ANYONE would have been better than Bickel, INCLUDING Huskins.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Thee GM
IGotTheMovesLikeJagr

Good signing for Detroit to add a veteran presence to the back-end.

Thee GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:10 PM
MarleauApologist
#FireDougWilson

No chance the Wings don't win the cup now.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:52 PM
BamaWing

Seth Jones...yay Im so excited..

: |

BamaWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:36 PM
TheGooooch

I can't confirm this but in my head when he talks he talks like Matt Damon in team America world police

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote