Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Just a reminder

Old
01-23-2013, 11:56 AM
OLD51JOHN

vCash: 500
Just a reminder

To the media ..The Patriots season is over...Why they continue to rehash the last game is perplexing to me ... Yesterdays news is just that.. I love the pats So what???The Bruins are filling an empty space in teams ..Let us hear more about them..What say other sport fans???????

OLD51JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:00 PM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

...you must be new here...

When they´re done talking about the Pats, it´ll be on to David Ortiz´ diet. Just how the cookie crumbles.

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:03 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
For once, I agree with you O.J.

It boils down to popularity, and more people are interested in reading the Pats' obituaries and Sox fluff stories than about the B's. My new solution is to ignore it all and just watch more games from around the league.

smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:04 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD51JOHN View Post
To the media ..The Patriots season is over...Why they continue to rehash the last game is perplexing to me ... Yesterdays news is just that.. I love the pats So what???The Bruins are filling an empty space in teams ..Let us hear more about them..What say other sport fans???????
Some sports fans just love to pick at scabs.

I listened to EEI for about 40 minutes yesterday while in my car running errands. The topics: The Patriots, Manti Te'o and Ray Lewis.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post

It boils down to popularity, and more people are interested in reading the Pats' obituaries and Sox fluff stories than about the B's. My new solution is to ignore it all and just watch more games from around the league.
DirecTV has free games through Jan. 31 so I've been doing the same. It's a lot more entertaining.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 268
Quote:
I agree. Even after the last B's game I put on sports radio to listen to for the drive home (after the shoot out win) and they were still talking about football ..and saying the same things over and over

01-23-2013, 12:08 PM
flannelman
quixotic fox!

vCash: 50
Elder John - I think your post is indicative of why we all come here. Most of the media outlets flat out suck.

I go to TSN.cs/nhl for all my news.

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:14 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:

I do feel like the popularity is there, and there are people who want to hear about the Bs, but I feel like another big part of it is that most media members around here have no idea HOW to talk about the Bruins or hockey in general. There are a few that at least try, but most of them can't go beyond the very basic, obvious talking points. They just don't know enough to fill up a 4 hour slot on the radio or even a 30 min segment on TV.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:19 PM
MTaylorJ1

Give it some time with the B's. Not even a large enough sample to talk about anything of substance yet. The Patriots are still an elite team in what is by far America's most popular sport. Them losing in the AFC Championship is going to take a week to rehash at the minimum, and it's discussion worth having. The Red Sox stuff and the nonsense surrounding Armstrong and Te'o are what is baffling.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:21 PM
smithformeragent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg4167 View Post
I do feel like the popularity is there, and there are people who want to hear about the Bs, but I feel like another big part of it is that most media members around here have no idea HOW to talk about the Bruins or hockey in general. There are a few that at least try, but most of them can't go beyond the very basic, obvious talking points. They just don't know enough to fill up a 4 hour slot on the radio or even a 30 min segment on TV.
This is very true. Sure, they can talk about the TT story, Jacobs, etc, but can anyone on EEI/98.5 dissect a power play?

Old
01-23-2013, 12:26 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Edit: Sorry, thought I quoted, but this is in response to above post:

Absolutely, they cling to any big, controversial subjects surrounding the team, but there is very little discussion of strategy, especially relative to how much strategy is talked about when breaking down the Patriots or Red Sox.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:29 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
I would expect that if the Bruins lost in game 7 of the ECF, they would be talking about it for more than 2 days.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:31 PM
smithformeragent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg4167 View Post
Edit: Sorry, thought I quoted, but this is in response to above post:

Absolutely, they cling to any big, controversial subjects surrounding the team, but there is very little discussion of strategy, especially relative to how much strategy is talked about when breaking down the Patriots or Red Sox.
Don Henley said it best- Dirty Laundry

Controversy sells. They love stuff like the Sox crashing and burning and all the tabloid crap that surrounds it. I think that this is the big "problem" with hockey. There just isn't enough trash talking, tweeting and controversy. If they wanted to boost ratings, you'd have guys taking to twitter all of the time saying how cheap the Bruins are, or how so and so runs a gimmick offense, but in hockey you say those things off the ice and you get your teeth knocked out.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:34 PM
mikelvl

John, kudos to you for saying what needs to be said. I don't even listed to EEI and 98.5 (until Felger comes on). Have to go to outside sources like XM Radio. Although, even then I will say that the NHL Home Ice channel has the worst morning show in history, unlistenable.

mikelvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Bridges31
Goon? Lol

I just got xm radio and have been listening to their NHL network channel non stop. I love all the hockey talk on the radio I can get that I know I wouldn't get with 98.5.

Bridges31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:43 PM
smithformeragent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridges31 View Post
I just got xm radio and have been listening to their NHL network channel non stop. I love all the hockey talk on the radio I can get that I know I wouldn't get with 98.5.
My fiance has been exposed to a new level of hockey talk this year with the games on TSN and XM NHL station.

I love it when she cringes at the way the Canadian announcers pronounce "against" (agAYnst).

Serves her right for making me listen to the Pulse and Blend stations.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
This is very true. Sure, they can talk about the TT story, Jacobs, etc, but can anyone on EEI/98.5 dissect a power play?
Comments about Thomas in his bunker, Chara isn't a top five defenseman, Lucic is out of shape - that doesn't do it for you?

Old
01-23-2013, 02:30 PM
SpokedLightning
Overpaid 4th Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flannelman View Post
Elder John - I think your post is indicative of why we all come here. Most of the media outlets flat out suck.

As sad as it sounds one of my favorite radio stations is tsn 1050. It's of course 95%+ Leafs centric but at least it's hockey talk.

SpokedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:32 PM
BergyDGD
Hockey season yet?

No need to talk Bruins now because Terry Francona's book came out.

BergyDGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:12 PM
Strafer

How about when they say "after the commercial break we're gonna talk Bruins" and then a breaking story comes up (Big Pappy grows longer sideburns) and they never get back to talking hockey.

OR

"For the rest of the segment we'll talk hockey." This is ten minutes prior to the new shift coming on and with commercials etc it turns into a 2.5 minute chat.

Felger and Mazz just now said that they were going to talk hockey and basketball and it's been (you guessed it) 98% basketball......and I hate basketball.

Strafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:29 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I would expect that if the Bruins lost in game 7 of the ECF, they would be talking about it for more than 2 days.
Exactly. Expecting the sports stations to have moved on from the Pats already is a pipe dream. It's ridiculous, IMO...

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:36 PM
doc5hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by flannelman View Post

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

All these posts (I only read to this point before posting) are insightful, but this one should be under every portrait of the 3-sport media on our late-night tubes.

The night of the capacity-crowd scrimmage, CSN was making note of the 17.565 and Steve DeOssie (one of the three pontifs that night) was in obvious facial discomfort. When he got his turn to chime in he celebrated the passion of hockey fans but made sure we all understand that there just aren't as many of them (as football, I'm guessing). ... So how he squares that up with the largest parade Boston history is anyone's guess. I grew up invested in all four teams in Boston and have never understood when it got to be the Patriots against the Bruins or the Celtics against the Bruins.

"The negativity in this town sucks." -- Rick Pitino (he didn't get the draft lottery right, but he got that right)

doc5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:08 PM
blazenlo

This drives me absolutely nuts too. I listen to a sports station up here and call after call is either about Pats or the Soxs. Soon it will be all sox. I do like the station though so I never change it. Just wish the B's were talked about some.

blazenlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:12 PM
BB624

Easiest solution. Call them up. It is a simple thing Red Sox and Pats fans do a better job at steering the conversation.

BB624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:38 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Newsflash for some people here: While we may all love the Bruins and want to hear about the team all day long, that's not what the other 99% of the sports fans in New England want to talk about. The Pats and the Sox are far larger popularity wise than either the Bruins or the Celtics. Therefore, radio stations cater to what the bulk of their audience wants to hear. Deal with it.

More importantly, why is this it's own thread? It's nothing more than a whine about sports radio and should be in that thread.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote