Notices

Vancouver has trading partner for Luongo

Old
01-22-2013, 02:12 PM
DoubleAAAA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Vancouver is a mess, Schneider's less than stellar first game isn't enough of a reason to panic, but having no second line is and I'd suggest every GM other than Gilles, if silly enough to take on a contract for a guy who can't win the big game in the NHL, they deserve what they get.

This assinine acquisition has the Flyers as others have said, written all over it
Van's D has been a trainwreck too. It's really too bad

DoubleAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:12 PM
MoeLemay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruno View Post
Thomas and Soderberg for Luongo.

That would be at least 6 threads worthy for all eternity.
Wouldn't be the first time the Bruins tried to trade for Lou.

Thank you Alan Cohen

MoeLemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:27 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAAAA View Post
Van's D has been a trainwreck too. It's really too bad
Yeah my heart just bleeds for them.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Then they will have the Joe Thornton of forwards and the Joe Thornton of goalies. PLAYOFF SUCCESS!
Can't say it any better.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:20 PM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Devils...
Interesting thought. It seems plausible. I think he'd be dumb to turn down a trade to a consistent contender like the Devils.

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:44 PM
neelynugs

bobby mac says chicago and edmonton interested.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:51 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
It perplexes my mind that any team would trade for that contract when they can simply wait for Vancouver to burn their compliance buyout on him and then scoop him up at a much more manageable cap number during the off season.

smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:54 PM
brom7

Who cares, We'll beat them anyway.

brom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:40 PM
Lobster57

vCash: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
It perplexes my mind that any team would trade for that contract when they can simply wait for Vancouver to burn their compliance buyout on him and then scoop him up at a much more manageable cap number during the off season.
That's exactly how I see it too. Giving anything of value for this guy right now makes almost no sense. Unless Scheider is really bad all year there is no way Vancouver keeps Luo around once the compliance buyouts roll around.

Lobster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:51 PM
BruinDust

Oilers might be in the market after Dubnyk allowed a 6 spot in the 1st period of their home opener..ouch.

BruinDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:25 PM
BrainOfJ
Heartbroken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
He's a great goalie when there's nothing on the line. No one doubts that.

However, unfortunately for Robeeerto ..... he is a choker.
So weren't Zdeno Chara, Patrice Bergeron, Milan Lucic, etc. until a game 7 went their way. Chokers don't make it to game 7 of the Stanley Cup playoffs. He won 15 games and had 4 shutouts.

Was he awful in Boston? Yes...did he have jack **** for defense in front of him? Also yes.

Now excuse me while I go shower

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:45 PM
DJENTLEMAN
Lost My Avatar Bet

Quote:
This. Vancouver has relatively no cap space next season with multiple players to re-sign. No idea why any team is going to be giving up significant assets when they are going to be dealing from a position of power. Gillis has backed himself into a corner with this whole ordeal.

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:00 PM
bruins04

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
bobby mac says chicago and edmonton interested.
i would cheer for him to be successful if it came to that. two teams who loathe the canucks. crawford is stepping it up this season so far.

bruins04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:38 AM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

What about Calgary if they trade Kipper for prospects, they need to rebuild but there gm is an idiot

Kelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:49 AM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
So weren't Zdeno Chara, Patrice Bergeron, Milan Lucic, etc. until a game 7 went their way. Chokers don't make it to game 7 of the Stanley Cup playoffs. He won 15 games and had 4 shutouts.

Was he awful in Boston? Yes...did he have jack **** for defense in front of him? Also yes.

He got run out of the playoffs two straight years by the Blackhawks.

Up 3-0 against the same Blackhawks he got ventilated two straight, replaced by Schneider in an elimination game (who had to leave because of cramps). If Schneider does not cramp up I don't think Luongo see's the net again.

He was World class terrible in the Final. He had a good game 1 and a good game 5, was decent in game 2 and COMPLETE garbage in games 3,4,6 and 7. He is a choker, he will never win a thing.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:02 AM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

On topic:

Gillis is blowing smoke to create a market that does not exist. Luongo has a no trade and controls the agenda. He is getting paid handsomely. He will dictate where he goes. I think Gillis overplayed his hand, not surprising considering he is a ****** GM to start with.

He will go to Florida (his preferred destination) but they won't give up what the Canucks want ( Nick Bjugstad +) and do they want that contract? Doubt it.

He will go to Toronto but Nonis won't give up what the Cancucks want. Nonis can play chicken with Gillis because Nonis does not have a "win now" mandate. He knows Gillis is in a tough spot.

He will go to Philly, is Homer insane enough to introduce Luongo to that meat grinder? Does he want that contract?

I don't think he'd go to Edmonton and I don't think Tambelinni has the balls or the brains to make a trade to actually improve his hockey team. He's just waiting for another high pick and hoping that eventually he has enough drafted talent to compete.

He would go to Chicago but I think the Hawks will run with Crawford hoping last year was the "2nd year blahs".

Let me tell you though, sports radio in Vancouver is DELICIOUS right now. If they lose to Calgary tomorrow night the city might implode.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:23 AM
ODAAT

Send him to Minny, almost as warm as Florida no??

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:34 AM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post

And did not even compete or give his team a chance in the games he lost -- crushing the obvious momentum that the Canuck's had going for them. Then spent his time making stupid inflammatory statements to the press about how he would have made that save, or this save.

He's a choker.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:41 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post
Luongo isn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be, 2nd in saves, 2nd in wins, and 3rd in shutouts from the last lockout.

The guy just gets thrown under the bus in Vancouver, as I don't know why as their Luongo/Schneider combo is similar to the Bruins old Thomas/Rask combo.

Teams should embrace 2 great goalies in their city instead of killing the combo with hatred, because the likes of Hannu Toivenen and Rob Tallas will be the back ups one day again, and that aint an easy pill to swallow.

P.S. he is still going to the Panthers or the Bolts.
Great goalies don`t allow the equivalent of a touchdown in when it counts most, Luongo is a great regular season goalie, but he`ll always have that tag as a guy who can`t get his team over the hump when it counts.......Joe Thornton-like

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:47 AM
The Special K
Hoss MOFO, Hoss.

Quote:
Great goalies don`t allow the equivalent of a touchdown in when it counts most, Luongo is a great regular season goalie, but he`ll always have that tag as a guy who can`t get his team over the hump when it counts.......Joe Thornton-like
yep like you said....the only difference is Loo at least got his team to the hump. Thornton can't even bring his team to within view of that hump.

The Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:54 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
He did well for Canada at the Olympics, in Vancouver no less. That was a hell of a pressure cooker as well.

Honestly, I think Luongo get's too much flak. He's still a very very good goalie, one of the best in the league imo. Those beatings Boston laid on the Vancouver were an all around team effort. Their D was horrid, their forwards were horrid, and Luongo was horrid. Just not sure that's indicative of Luongo being the Joe Thornton of goalies.

Where Thornton's production tends to drop way down in the post season Luongo's tends to stay pretty level. Luongo just had the misfortune of playing on the second best team that year

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:16 AM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
and if there's more than one team interested?

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:27 AM
DJENTLEMAN
Lost My Avatar Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special K View Post
yep like you said....the only difference is Loo at least got his team to the hump. Thornton can't even bring his team to within view of that hump.
For what it's worth - Thornton brought the Sharks within one overtime goal of clinching the Western Conference crown in 2011 (the same year Vancouver clinched).

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:36 AM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
He did well for Canada at the Olympics, in Vancouver no less. That was a hell of a pressure cooker as well.

Honestly, I think Luongo get's too much flak. He's still a very very good goalie, one of the best in the league imo. Those beatings Boston laid on the Vancouver were an all around team effort. Their D was horrid, their forwards were horrid, and Luongo was horrid. Just not sure that's indicative of Luongo being the Joe Thornton of goalies.

Where Thornton's production tends to drop way down in the post season Luongo's tends to stay pretty level. Luongo just had the misfortune of playing on the second best team that year
I thought he was the only reason the US had a chance to win the Gold medal game.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:36 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
On topic:

Gillis is blowing smoke to create a market that does not exist. Luongo has a no trade and controls the agenda. He is getting paid handsomely. He will dictate where he goes. I think Gillis overplayed his hand, not surprising considering he is a ****** GM to start with.

He will go to Florida (his preferred destination) but they won't give up what the Canucks want ( Nick Bjugstad +) and do they want that contract? Doubt it.

He will go to Toronto but Nonis won't give up what the Cancucks want. Nonis can play chicken with Gillis because Nonis does not have a "win now" mandate. He knows Gillis is in a tough spot.

He will go to Philly, is Homer insane enough to introduce Luongo to that meat grinder? Does he want that contract?

I don't think he'd go to Edmonton and I don't think Tambelinni has the balls or the brains to make a trade to actually improve his hockey team. He's just waiting for another high pick and hoping that eventually he has enough drafted talent to compete.

He would go to Chicago but I think the Hawks will run with Crawford hoping last year was the "2nd year blahs".

Let me tell you though, sports radio in Vancouver is DELICIOUS right now. If they lose to Calgary tomorrow night the city might implode.
Sure seems like it. Wasn't there a similar rumor a week or two ago? Gillis is stuck and trying to generate something out of nothing. He needs at least two teams with real interest to get any kind of return. I think he's got one but they don't feel like they have to bid against anyone for his services, so he's getting offered scraps.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote