HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs @ Penguins home opener

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 12:47 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
I hope that the d pairings will change up a bit. Gunnarsson looked awful against the Sabres, so I hope that he takes a game off.

like r u serious?? i really can't tell sometimes..

Old
01-22-2013, 12:48 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by THHT View Post
Put Scrivens out there. Don't care if he gets blown out. It's better for him now than later.
I think that Scrivens gets the game against the Penguins and then Reimer gets thursday against the Islanders.

It would be a bit crazy to put a cold goaltender in Reimer against such a good team in the Pens.

Old
Clark4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Tough opponent but hopefully we're up to the task.

Keep the AHL d-men out.

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Franson
Liles-Komisarek
Amen.

Old
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post

like r u serious?? i really can't tell sometimes..
Do you think he played a good game?

Old
01-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight K Schrute View Post
??? Give him those numbers over a full year and it is one of the greatest goalie performances ever.
don't look at the facts though...

the only thing that kept the Leafs at 3 goals against is their ability to get to the loose pucks first because Ben's rebound control has been horrible. Is that a result of a RC system? or lack of skill/drive from their two opponents?

3 goals against can be misleading. if he handles his rebounds against Pittsburgh like he did the first 2 games he won't last the entire 60 minutes IMO.

oh, and I don't know if James would do any better.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Aplayaz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie19 View Post
New lines in practice:
JVR-Grabo-Kuli
Mac-Kadri-Komorov
PP: Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
smart

Quote:
Keep the AHL d-men out.
Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Franson
Liles-Komisarek
because Kostka has been "stinking" up the joint right?

Old
01-22-2013, 12:51 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
he played a decent game, not a good one.. does that mean you sit him next game?? **** NO.

Old
topched

Quote:
Do you think he's a worse defenseman than every other one we have?

Should one bad game mean a guy is out of the lineup?

He's had 2 straight years of solid defensive play, probably our most steady guy game to game. Had an off night... but is probably our #2 dman right now, with Gards questionable.

Gunnar is a candidate to play all 48.

Old
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:

Keep the AHL d-men out.

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Franson
Liles-Komisarek
keep Gunnarsson away from 1st line minutes

Old
01-22-2013, 12:52 PM
Aplayaz2000

Gardiner looking to return tomorrow night, needs to be cleared by doctors.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:54 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post
I feel like everybody always over-estimates Pittsburgh because of Crosby and Malkin, they are a deep team at C, VERY shallow on the wings, and a meh defence with the only notable IMO being Letang (Will improve in a year or two).

A good team obviously, but over-rated due to Crosby/Malkin combo IMO.
It's not that they're overrated. It's that Crosby and Malkin are actually that good. Fleury is great when he's on but inconsistent, and I agree with you about their defense (though i think Orpik is pretty good). But Malkin and Crosby on their own would make last year's Blue Jackets a playoff team.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:54 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplayaz2000 View Post
smart

No, he'd be the 7th man. I'm a firm believer he'll get eaten alive by Pittsburgh, lol.

Kostka has been playing well, but I think his foot speed would be exposed badly against the likes of all these guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
Then put Gardiner up there, I don't think Gunnarsson has been "bad" per se. Holzer was a huge reason that pairing struggled - he had no idea what was going on.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:55 PM
I Believe

Quote:

Keep the AHL d-men out.

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Franson
Liles-Komisarek
Yup. Keep up Kostka if we need a 7th D, Holzer if we need an 8th and we're good.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:55 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
This always makes me laugh.

The D aren't the same as the forwards. Rarely do pairigs get double shifted, most dmen will build up their ice time based on special teams play etc. and in the case of your best guy... he might get an extra shift or two a period on another pairing.

How many teams in the league pair their top 2 dmen together? I'd say more than half split up their top 2 guys.

Our best dmen after Phaneuf are Liles and Gardiner. Both are offensive, just like Dion and like to skate with the puck and jump into the play. Putting them together would be a disaster, as you'd be limiting both guys.

Candidates to play with Dion are really Komisarek, Kostka or Gunner. (And of course Holzer or Fraser). CG is the best option IMO.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:56 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Do you think he's a worse defenseman than every other one we have?

Should one bad game mean a guy is out of the lineup?

He's had 2 straight years of solid defensive play, probably our most steady guy game to game. Had an off night... but is probably our #2 dman right now, with Gards questionable.

Gunnar is a candidate to play all 48.
Do you think that Franson had a bad game in his first game? No. So was that a reason to keep him out of the lineup.

If the Leafs are going to keep juggling lines and combinations, then why not have Franson in for Gunnarsson and Komisarek in for Frasor.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:57 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
he played a decent game, not a good one.. does that mean you sit him next game?? **** NO.
I think that he looked a step slow in that game and made some poor decisions on when to pinch in. The Kulemin giveaways didn't help mind you, but in no way was it a good game for him.

Explain to me why Franson came out of the lineup for the second game? He had a pretty solid first game and his reward was a healthy scratch?

Old
01-22-2013, 12:58 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:

Keep the AHL d-men out.

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Franson
Liles-Komisarek
Kostka has played the 2nd most minutes among our dmen the first two games (27 min last night ) and done a solid job so I'd be pretty surprised if Carlyle took him out.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:58 PM
CanadasTeam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplayaz2000 View Post
smart

Do whatever they will with the lineup as long as they give Kostka opportunity to play. He's definitely making it a hard decision for the staff as to who to keep when Gardiner comes back.

01-22-2013, 12:59 PM
TieClark

Gunnarsson was absolutely horrible last night...

Old
01-22-2013, 01:00 PM
topched

Quote:
Do you think that Franson had a bad game in his first game? No. So was that a reason to keep him out of the lineup.

If the Leafs are going to keep juggling lines and combinations, then why not have Franson in for Gunnarsson and Komisarek in for Frasor.
Franson hasn't played 2 steady years of D for this team. Franson was a 6/7 guy last year where Gunnarsson played 20+ mins on multiple occasions.

If we're going on that standard, Grabo hasn't done anything on the scoreboard these last two games... lets get Steckel in there. Change it up.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:00 PM
29Potvins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
I'm not just looking at save percentage. It's just a point. Fact is, the Leafs have limited scoring chances from both of their opponents, with most of the shots coming from the perimiter. Scriven's rebound control against Montreal was HORRIBLE. The leafs limited Montreal to scoring chances. Thats why only 1 goal was allowed then, and IIRC, that goal was a result from poor rebound control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
Scrivens lost last night, now it's Reimer's turn to shine
This kind of thinking reminds me of Ron Wilson and how he would play musical chairs with his goalies. At some level you want to create competition for these two goalies; but given the camp, and the fact that Scrivens had been playing in the AHL throughout the lockout, you have to give Ben more than one loss.

Most here have said it, and I agree: Scrivens vs Pittsburgh, Reimer vs NYI

Old
01-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Clark4Ever

Kostka is a feel good story, but with a healthy defence core, he is no better than a 7th or 8th defenceman on this team in the long run. Plain and simple.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:02 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Quote:
I think that he looked a step slow in that game and made some poor decisions on when to pinch in. The Kulemin giveaways didn't help mind you, but in no way was it a good game for him.

Explain to me why Franson came out of the lineup for the second game? He had a pretty solid first game and his reward was a healthy scratch?
uhmmmmmmm gunnar has been a steady D man for this team for years now.. while franson is constantly in and out of the lineup...

Old
01-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
This always makes me laugh.

The D aren't the same as the forwards. Rarely do pairigs get double shifted, most dmen will build up their ice time based on special teams play etc. and in the case of your best guy... he might get an extra shift or two a period on another pairing.

How many teams in the league pair their top 2 dmen together? I'd say more than half split up their top 2 guys.

Our best dmen after Phaneuf are Liles and Gardiner. Both are offensive, just like Dion and like to skate with the puck and jump into the play. Putting them together would be a disaster, as you'd be limiting both guys.

Candidates to play with Dion are really Komisarek, Kostka or Gunner. (And of course Holzer or Fraser). CG is the best option IMO.
glad you had a laugh.

now some education? RC, the coach, will want the top pair to be on the ice as much as they can against the other team's top players. Not only on PP or PK. 5 on 5 as well. CG is an effective dman but not with that many minutes. 20 minutes a night is a stretch for CG, let alone 27 or 28 the top pair will play

Old
01-22-2013, 01:04 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29Potvins View Post
This kind of thinking reminds me of Ron Wilson and how he would play musical chairs with his goalies. At some level, you want to create competition for these two goalies, but given the camp, and the fact that Scrivens had been playing in the AHL throughout the lockout, you have to give Ben more than one loss.
Agreed. Shouldn't base the rotation on wins/losses. Go on performance and schedule. Scrivens has been solid so far, nothing spectacular but has a 1.50 gaa and has kept us in the game both nights.

If Scrivens gives up 4-5 goals and we get blown out... by all means change it up. Similarly if he gives up 5 but we rally and win 6-5... definitely grounds to change it up as well.

I say Scrivens starts in Pitt and Reimer in NY. Whoever plays better starts the game after the back to back. If they're both good you go back to Scrivens.

Closed Thread