HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals) ‎ ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 05:45 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I cant see Edmonton touching its top 6 forwards right now in a trade like this.
Hall-RNH-Eberle
Yak-Gagner-Hemsky
That is too lethal to break up.. If there is a deal in place I bet it wont be centring any of these guys..

Lots of talk out there that Gagner would be the main piece but Edmonton does not have enough depth at centre to do that..
Isn't Hall a natural centre? At least that's what I thought when he was drafted. Honestly I think the top six would be much more balanced with two lines of

____ - RNH - Eberle
Yakupov - Hall - _____

Just a question.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:46 PM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Oh come off it. This moral crusade nonsense. Luongo is an asset we are looking to trade. Gillis is doing what any good GM must to secure actual value. Your stance was to sell him off for garbage ala Connolly and Lombardi.
So in you're mind... how long is too long? At what point is it no longer fair to the player to drag his name through the media, while giving him no certainty as to where he will finish his career?

To me, that's a month or two. There should be no excuse for allowing a situation to play out longer than that. Either you want the player as part of your team or don't.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:47 PM
p.l.f.
use the force

luongo is meant for a team going for it for the next 2 yrs
he's going to be 34 in the spring

philly
chicago
washington
etc

Old
01-22-2013, 05:47 PM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Isn't Hall a natural centre? At least that's what I thought when he was drafted. Honestly I think the top six would be much more balanced with two lines of

____ - RNH - Eberle
Yakupov - Hall - _____

Just a question.
He was always a winger. A lot of oilers fans that wanted the oilers to take Seguin over Hall was in large part due to Seguin being a center and hall a winger.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:49 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
So in you're mind... how long is too long? At what point is it no longer fair to the player to drag his name through the media, while giving him no certainty as to where he will finish his career?
How long is too long?

Luongo already has said multiple times he will wait until a trade comes that fits the teams needs best. But obviously he's a greasy Italian liar and is actually plotting to be traded for crap. He and Schneider have a great relationship.

At the very longest he waits until offseason. I think he's okay with that. But I'm sure you know more than I, our fanbase, or Gillis does.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:51 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roooney View Post
He was always a winger. A lot of oilers fans that wanted the oilers to take Seguin over Hall was in large part due to Seguin being a center and hall a winger.
Ahhh, okay. My bad. Sorry Oiler fans.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:52 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
How long is too long?

Luongo already has said multiple times he will wait until a trade comes that fits the teams needs best. But obviously he's a greasy Italian liar and is actually plotting to be traded for crap. He and Schneider have a great relationship.

At the very longest he waits until offseason. I think he's okay with that. But I'm sure you know more than I, our fanbase, or Gillis does.
Luongo has been a perfect professional in this situation while being treated like garbage by Mike Gillis.

So in your mind, it's fair to drag a player through a year of uncertainty and trade rumours, all so you can get just a little bit more out of a deal.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:54 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Quote:
Luongo has been a perfect professional in this situation while being treated like garbage by Mike Gillis.

So in your mind, it's fair to drag a player through a year of uncertainty and trade rumours, all so you can get just a little bit more out of a deal.
Except for Gillis is the one pointing out he will respect Roberto's NTC and will not trade him without his explicit consent.

And I'm pretty sure trying to get fair value for our all-star goalie is hardly treating Luongo like ****. But keep posturing about Gillis, it's quite entertaining.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Pip

Quote:

To me, that's a month or two. There should be no excuse for allowing a situation to play out longer than that. Either you want the player as part of your team or don't.
Gillis has done nothing wrong to Luongo, you continue to stress 7 months, but you can't trade during the lockout, therefore most of those months shouldn't count against Gillis. Who says Luongo is being kept in the dark anyways?

Old
01-22-2013, 06:05 PM
SoTzuMe

Quote:

Treated like garbage? Wow, that's a ridiculous statement. Sounds like someone is bitter that Luongo hasn't been traded to their team.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:06 PM
Nash

Quote:

I think Luongo is great. He's the best goalie the Canucks have ever had and I believe he will end up retiring at least third overall in wins.

However, as professional as he is acting now, I wish he had never gone public about being willing to be traded. He put himself in this spot. As for the duration of time needed to make this trade, the Canucks have played 2 games since the request was made...it just seems like an eternity.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:06 PM
rune74

Quote:

This is simply a ridiculous opinion. I'm sure if he was a leafs player it would be fine if nonis did this. Gillis recently spoke that he has outmost respect for loungo and didn't expect to be in this position when they signed him.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:07 PM
Bourne Endeavor

vCash: 178
Quote:

As long as necessary. I have investment arrangements that have taken the better par of a year to pay dividends - welcome to business. Gillis is approaching this from a business perspective, and Luongo has publicly acknowledged he is content to wait the season if need be. Your own justification is refuted by the very person you are attempting to defend.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:09 PM
leafs4life43

Thats the problem a limited number of young proven goalies and I agree Luongo is a model of regular
Season consistency but not one As a Leafs fan I would be willing to deal promising young players we need for him. However i would target Halak is St. Louis i mean at least see what his price might be and if its to high we ride out the season with Reimer and Scrivens and see exactly what we have then go from there in the summer. I mean the worst that could happen is we could end up drafting Mackinnon and im fine with that.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Bourne Endeavor

Quote:

In a word, yes.

Were I in Gillis' shoes, my philosophy would be, "how best does this benefit the Canucks?" If the offers do not improve the product, then I would not sell.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Bob knows **** all recently, and is a typical toronto media *****. He got offended by gillis before and is proving it once again.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:12 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Gillis has done nothing wrong to Luongo, you continue to stress 7 months, but you can't trade during the lockout, therefore most of those months shouldn't count against Gillis. Who says Luongo is being kept in the dark anyways?
Yes, as we've confirmed, you see nothing wrong with dragging a player through 7 months of trade rumours and uncertainty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
This is simply a ridiculous opinion. I'm sure if he was a leafs player it would be fine if nonis did this. Gillis recently spoke that he has outmost respect for loungo and didn't expect to be in this position when they signed him.
Just because a player is willing to take a beat-down from a GM, doesn't make it ok. Gillis can talk all he wants about respect, it's meaningless. If he truly respected Luongo, he would've traded him or Schneider months and months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
As long as necessary. I have investment arrangements that have taken the better par of a year to pay dividends - welcome to business. Gillis is approaching this from a business perspective, and Luongo has publicly acknowledged he is content to wait the season if need be. Your own justification is refuted by the very person you are attempting to defend.
Yup.... so you're suggesting that Gillis is totally incapable of differentiating human beings from investments.

As for best benefitting the Canucks, we'll see how this situation plays itself out in terms of players willing to sign in Vancouver for any substantial length of time.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:16 PM
rune74

Quote:
Just because a player is willing to take a beat-down from a GM, doesn't make it ok. Gillis can talk all he wants about respect, it's meaningless. If he truly respected Luongo, he would've traded him or Schneider months and months ago.
Well, didn't hurt Edler signing for less. Just because he didn't trade him to toronto for peanuts doesn't make him wrong. (Matter of fact recent reports is loungo shot down a toronto trade at the draft, so loungo could have been on your team.) Your idealism isn't the way the NHL works.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:22 PM
Aceonfire*

I am so tired of this Luongo circus. Why would they offer Schneider starter money if they had the intention of keeping Luongo? Gillis is clearly trying to drum up attention to get the best value for his player. At the same time he risks making another team much better.

Nash, Heatley now this..

Huge credit to Luongo for handling this circus like a pro, and shame on the GMs involved for leaking things to the media on both sides. Get a deal done and go play!

Old
01-22-2013, 06:23 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTzuMe View Post
Treated like garbage? Wow, that's a ridiculous statement. Sounds like someone is bitter that Luongo hasn't been traded to their team.
I'm surprised to see him back in these threads after Tim Connolly was waived & not the main piece in a Luongo deal.

Quote:
I had little respect for Gillis before... even less now...

I mean, dragging your player through 7 months of being on the public trade block should be enough...but now you're going to start negotiating through the media?!?
How was he supposed to trade him during the Lock out?

Last edited by Scottrockztheworld*: 01-22-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old
01-22-2013, 06:24 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

I also have to wonder if Lack's injury is also holding this up, as now the deal has to involve a half decent back up coming the other way.

Just a thought.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:25 PM
Wizeman*

Why is anyone listening to McKenzie trying to bluff his way around idea he cant possible know are true or not ? His 'sources' aren't going to resolve this.

Gillis said there was a deal on the table. And while it seems like it could be NYI, it could be any number of teams, and the 'one player' they are waiting on is a guy who may have an NTC and needs to waive it to go to Vancouver.

In the end, nobody knows except the principal players , Gillis and the other GM.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:26 PM
FiveAndGame

Quote:
Yes, as we've confirmed, you see nothing wrong with dragging a player through 7 months of trade rumours and uncertainty.
I'm not sure how many other possible ways this can be explained to you but here it goes:

During a lockout, GM's are not allowed to discuss trades, extensions, FA signings or any sort of personnel changes. Gillis has had about a month of legitimate opportunities to discuss trades, and most of that occurred directly before a work stoppage which may have dissuaded other GM's because of the new CBA's affect on Luongo's contract.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:27 PM
I in the Eye
Drop a ball it falls

Quote:

Yup.... so you're suggesting that Gillis is totally incapable of differentiating human beings from investments.

As for best benefitting the Canucks, we'll see how this situation plays itself out in terms of players willing to sign in Vancouver for any substantial length of time.
It's what got Nonis fired from Vancouver... Nonis was (as the story goes) unwilling to do what was best for the team... Gillis was, and is...

When you both treat the player with respect, and do what's best for the team, you can have situations like Luongo stay on the team for longer than outsiders expect... You told me in the summer I was going to feel like an idiot for thinking that Luongo would be back at training camp... I remember that, because I remember thinking how spectacularly wrong you would be... You just don't understand the respect amongst the players and management here... Those who don't "get it", get out... Those who do "get it" stay (or are welcome to stay)... Ballard had issues, but he "get's it", thus, there is room for him on the team... Same with Raymond... Same with Luongo... Players respect that... and when you have mutual respect, you can accomplish more than what would otherwise be possible... even difficult things and difficult situations...

Old
01-22-2013, 06:28 PM
Bourne Endeavor

Quote:

Considering Luongo has no qualms with waiting out the year. Your righteous crusade rings a bit hollow. Riddle me this: Gardiner announces he has no intention of resigning with Toronto once his entry deal is up. Nonis now receives a plethora diminishing offers for a RFA that does not wish to be there. Would you criticise Nonis as "incapable of differentiating human beings from investments" were he to exercise his rights in refusing to trade Gardiner?

Or what is happening to Subban, sans a trade demand.

Garrison and Edler had no issues with. In fact, they both took discounts - six years. Call me crazy, but I think we're fine.

Closed Thread