HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals) ‎ ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2013, 01:52 AM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
Umm you remember two guys named rask and raycroft?
Lol it was JFJ but hilarious point nonetheless.

Old
01-23-2013, 02:08 AM
racerjoe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Lol it was JFJ but hilarious point nonetheless.
More of a reply to the first part that a gm would never. The rest was just awesome bonus stuff.

Old
01-23-2013, 02:21 AM
Pip
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
how rare do you see a GM trade a top goalie to a divisional opponent.
it's extremely rare to trade a top goalie at all

Old
01-23-2013, 02:28 AM
Yeaoh

I'm just curious what happens first: Luongo growing unhappy with the situation and forcing the Canucks hand or will a team get so desperate they pay the price?

I think it would be cool to see him in Toronto, but I don't want them to give up Kadri or Bozak. Leafs should build around Reimer/Scrivens (backup for Schneider), Kulemin and Colborne.

Old
01-23-2013, 02:45 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post
I'm just curious what happens first: Luongo growing unhappy with the situation and forcing the Canucks hand or will a team get so desperate they pay the price?

I think it would be cool to see him in Toronto, but I don't want them to give up Kadri or Bozak. Leafs should build around Reimer/Scrivens (backup for Schneider), Kulemin and Colborne.
by the sounds of all reports, Luongo has basically given this team a year. He's said that he'd have no problem coming back and playing for the Canucks again, and has been nothing less than positive since the season's started.

He's not happy with his role obviously, but with a shortened season, and given his past history and past and current attitude, I don't see a problem with him if he wasn't dealt till the offseason.

I think he'll grow impatient if he doesn't get moved through the offseason though.

So as for who blinks first, do you think that all the teams in the league with any goalie concerns, will all have their goaltending question marks addressed this season, leaving no interest for Luongo around the league next summer?

I'm guessing Gillis has some time... and can play this to the offseason if necessary. Of course the question is at what cost? If he burns a legitimate shot at winning the Cup by not dealing him now, then you have to make a move, and probably have to lower you expectations on return.

But again, the return has to - for this season - improve the Canucks chances at winning the Cup, otherwise why wouldn't you just wait until the summer. The odds are pretty good of one or more of the several teams with goaltending question marks, need goaltending changes by then. In the meantime, having 2 quality goalies during a shortened season does help the team.

So can a return help the team more than that this year? I think that's what Gillis is looking for right now. If he wants to just move him to anyone that's interested, while not getting anything back that helps the team, then just hold on to him and play the market next summer.

Old
01-23-2013, 04:49 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I'm not sure I understand. In what scenario would Philly deal with the cap hit for the next 14 years?

No you're just speculating, same as anyone else. Colorado might have been trying to pressure ROR into taking a lower offer, and it's not working. As the season goes on they may just decide to cut their losses and deal his rights. There are plenty of reasons why a trade would be delayed until a few games into the season. Assuming Gillis is lying because he said he has a deal in priciple worked out is just reaching.
If Philadelphia misses the cap-free buyout window on Bryzgalov because of injury, then the only option would be to pay him the buyout on the cap.

As the season goes on, that may be the case, but it's been 2 games.

No team's viewpoint on what they're prepared to do and and not prepared to do is going to change after 2 games of sloppy hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Ok , this is about enough now. How about you let it go. We understand your point of view. Nobody has the market cornered on 'truth' . Anyone can spin an argument around what they want to believe.

Let it go.
You seem to disagree. How do you come to that conclusion?

Do you think Gillis had a deal done in camp? Do you think teams had played more than 2 games prior to Gillis making these comments? Do you think GMs view the hockey they're seeing now as representative of what they'll see all year? Do you think GMs make kneejerk reactions on 10 year committments after 2 games?

Which of these components do you disagree with? If it's none, then how can you conclude that Gillis is in fact telling the truth, unless he's lowered his asking price?

Old
01-23-2013, 05:04 AM
RECsGuy*

If you want to see Luongo traded sooner rather than later, pull for Vancouver's opponents.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:16 AM
SoulReaper
Cake is a LIE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post

It's okay. Leafs can keep both of Kadri and Bozak cause I wouldn't want either or both for Luongo's return.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:31 AM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulReaper View Post
It's okay. Leafs can keep both of Kadri and Bozak cause I wouldn't want either or both for Luongo's return.
Don't worry. The Toronto myth is all but dead now. They really don't have a thing that can help the Canucks and the Leafs rate their prospects among the best in the league giving them untouchable status.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:41 AM
AlMo

Quote:
I don't think you'll find many Leafs fans upset over this comment. IMO, the Nucks can keep Lou and deal with him in the offseason when the salary cap drops 7 million

Old
01-23-2013, 06:05 AM
SoulReaper
Cake is a LIE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
I don't think you'll find many Leafs fans upset over this comment. IMO, the Nucks can keep Lou and deal with him in the offseason when the salary cap drops 7 million
I wasn't trying to make anyone mad with that comment. Just saying that I wouldn't want either or both of them as Luongo's potential return.

Besides, it's very unlikely now that Leafs are trading for Luongo so yeah.

I have enough trust on Gillis that he can make things work before the eventual cap drop happens next season.

Old
01-23-2013, 06:45 AM
RCS

Quote:
You were never getting them to begin with LOL.

Old
01-23-2013, 07:10 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
how rare do you see a GM trade a top goalie to a divisional opponent.
anything else equal, there are 4 chance out of 29 that any trades is to a Divisional opponent.

Multiply these odds to the number of top goalie that was traded in the past few years...

So we could live through a decade without seeing any top goalie traded to a rival, and it would have nothing to do with any supposed unwillingness a GM have to trade with a divisional opponent.

The main reason why its rare to see a divisional trade is because a GM have only 4 teams to trade with inside their division VS 25 teams who aren't in the division.

Last edited by palindrom: 01-23-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old
01-23-2013, 07:11 AM
doorman

Here is just a thought, if Gillis wants to play his cards so close to the vest so to speak why bring this up? I mean one would have to assume that said team having to move unknown player has to be either a goalie or larger contract, right? Well if this info is out and you are the GM looking to deal for Lou, do you really feel like Gillis just helped your cause? Or if you are the GM aquiring said player and have now figured out that A+B=C, do you try to squeeze a little more out the deal for yourself?

Old
01-23-2013, 07:23 AM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
If Philadelphia misses the cap-free buyout window on Bryzgalov because of injury, then the only option would be to pay him the buyout on the cap.
So only if Bryzgalov gets an injury that keeps him from playing for at least 2.5 years, but not bad enough that it ends his career. When is the last time that happened to a player?

Quote:
As the season goes on, that may be the case, but it's been 2 games.

No team's viewpoint on what they're prepared to do and and not prepared to do is going to change after 2 games of sloppy hockey.
For the umpteenth time, it might not have anything to do with how the team is playing, but with the season starting and any RFA's have not shown any inclination to lower their demands, they might feel that waiting any longer won't change anything. Or, they might be waiting for Visnovsky to return to North America. Or perhaps something else entirely. You have no clue what's going on in Gillis' office, so to accuse him of lying when there could be any number of possibilities as to why a deal might take place now is rather weak.

Old
01-23-2013, 07:24 AM
MuchoMacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
Here is just a thought, if Gillis wants to play his cards so close to the vest so to speak why bring this up? I mean one would have to assume that said team having to move unknown player has to be either a goalie or larger contract, right? Well if this info is out and you are the GM looking to deal for Lou, do you really feel like Gillis just helped your cause? Or if you are the GM aquiring said player and have now figured out that A+B=C, do you try to squeeze a little more out the deal for yourself?
Dreger said it was likely because Gillis was trying to force Nonis' hand to make a deal. Makes sense to me. Although I really feel bad for Luongo, Gillis says something like that and then Luongo says he has no clue about any trade being in the works.

Old
01-23-2013, 07:25 AM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
If you want to see Luongo traded sooner rather than later, pull for Vancouver's opponents.
But not when Schneider's playing...

Old
01-23-2013, 07:42 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
anything else equal, there are 4 chance out of 29 that any trades is to a Divisional opponent.

Multiply these odds to the number of top goalie that was traded in the past few years...

So we could live through a decade without seeing any top goalie traded to a rival, and it would have nothing to do with any supposed unwillingness a GM have to trade with a divisional opponent.

The main reason why its rare to see a divisional trade is because a GM have only 4 teams to trade with inside their division VS 25 teams who aren't in the division.
^ i disagree.

you dont like to **** where you eat. why would you want to help a team who you are going to play ~8 times a year and possibly in the playoffs.

i would think divisional trades would be easier because you see the players more often on the other team. i can understand that obviously there are more teams outside of division then in but it seems like most big trades are out of conference entirely never mind division.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:04 AM
baartman

The longer this drags out, the lower the value is for luongo. As a Vancouver fan even recognized, luongo wants this done by the summer. What does this mean for Gillis? He will face increasing pressure from luongo as the season goes on, no matter how the Canucks play, and he will also face increasing pressure from ownership, no matter how canucks play.

Ownership does not want to be stuck with a buyout, and every GM knows this, hence the wait, hence the UNDERvaluing of luongo. Luongo has to be moved within this season for cap reasons. Gillis seems to holding on because he knows getting good value for luongo could be the difference between a Stanley cup winner, or 2011 redux.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:09 AM
doorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by baartman View Post
The longer this drags out, the lower the value is for luongo. As a Vancouver fan even recognized, luongo wants this done by the summer. What does this mean for Gillis? He will face increasing pressure from luongo as the season goes on, no matter how the Canucks play, and he will also face increasing pressure from ownership, no matter how canucks play.

Ownership does not want to be stuck with a buyout, and every GM knows this, hence the wait, hence the UNDERvaluing of luongo. Luongo has to be moved within this season for cap reasons. Gillis seems to holding on because he knows getting good value for luongo could be the difference between a Stanley cup winner, or 2011 redux.
I think a lot of your fellow Nucks fans will disagree with you. i always saw his age/contract & CBA changes as lowering his value. It is said I am wrong a lot, but in the world of salary caps there don't seem to be a lot of "hockey trades' made these days. He certainly won't fetch what a player of his calibre should, IMO

Old
01-23-2013, 08:14 AM
caribouPINE

vCash: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Don't worry. The Toronto myth is all but dead now. They really don't have a thing that can help the Canucks and the Leafs rate their prospects among the best in the league giving them untouchable status.

It's actually the EXACT opposite. I'm surprised you can't see that.

Non-Leaf fans rate their prospects like garbage. Literally. Every single one of them are considered "meh" or B-rate prospects

Old
01-23-2013, 08:22 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Some sort of denial is good enough for me that there is smoke that Lu could be headed to Toronto. That said, I think Gillis DOESN'T have a deal in place and it trying to get business going again.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:26 AM
Bleach Clean

The "deal in place" comment has me thinking that the trade partner can send NHL assets back, not futures. Something that can help now.

However, should this drag to the offseason, then Gillis's needs may shift. He may be more apt to trading Luongo for futures because he doesn't need immediate help at that point... So the type of return is time dependent IMO.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:26 AM
rune74

I'm thinking he does have a deal in place and what he is doing is trying to see if he can drive up the value from other teams by giving a sort of countdown. If he can make another team react to try and beat out a trade then he is doing his job as GM of the canucks.

For the record I don't see all leafs prospects as garbage, but to the canucks a lot do not have the worth that they would to say a rebuilding team.

Bozak however is not what our team needs and would literally be a 3rd liner on our team.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:27 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Some sort of denial is good enough for me that there is smoke that Lu could be headed to Toronto. That said, I think Gillis DOESN'T have a deal in place and it trying to get business going again.

Did you hear the earlier speculation about Lu nixing a deal to TOR prior to the lockout?

He ain't going to Toronto.

Closed Thread