HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals) ‎ ‎

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2013, 01:52 AM
  #801
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.
 
thepuckmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,679
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
Umm you remember two guys named rask and raycroft?
Lol it was JFJ but hilarious point nonetheless.

thepuckmonster is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 02:08 AM
  #802
racerjoe
Registered User
 
racerjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Lol it was JFJ but hilarious point nonetheless.
More of a reply to the first part that a gm would never. The rest was just awesome bonus stuff.

racerjoe is online now  
Old
01-23-2013, 02:21 AM
  #803
Pip
[hello] :)
 
Pip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 59,232
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
how rare do you see a GM trade a top goalie to a divisional opponent.
it's extremely rare to trade a top goalie at all

Pip is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 02:28 AM
  #804
Yeaoh
Registered User
 
Yeaoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,557
vCash: 500
I'm just curious what happens first: Luongo growing unhappy with the situation and forcing the Canucks hand or will a team get so desperate they pay the price?

I think it would be cool to see him in Toronto, but I don't want them to give up Kadri or Bozak. Leafs should build around Reimer/Scrivens (backup for Schneider), Kulemin and Colborne.

Yeaoh is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 02:45 AM
  #805
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post
I'm just curious what happens first: Luongo growing unhappy with the situation and forcing the Canucks hand or will a team get so desperate they pay the price?

I think it would be cool to see him in Toronto, but I don't want them to give up Kadri or Bozak. Leafs should build around Reimer/Scrivens (backup for Schneider), Kulemin and Colborne.
by the sounds of all reports, Luongo has basically given this team a year. He's said that he'd have no problem coming back and playing for the Canucks again, and has been nothing less than positive since the season's started.

He's not happy with his role obviously, but with a shortened season, and given his past history and past and current attitude, I don't see a problem with him if he wasn't dealt till the offseason.

I think he'll grow impatient if he doesn't get moved through the offseason though.

So as for who blinks first, do you think that all the teams in the league with any goalie concerns, will all have their goaltending question marks addressed this season, leaving no interest for Luongo around the league next summer?

I'm guessing Gillis has some time... and can play this to the offseason if necessary. Of course the question is at what cost? If he burns a legitimate shot at winning the Cup by not dealing him now, then you have to make a move, and probably have to lower you expectations on return.

But again, the return has to - for this season - improve the Canucks chances at winning the Cup, otherwise why wouldn't you just wait until the summer. The odds are pretty good of one or more of the several teams with goaltending question marks, need goaltending changes by then. In the meantime, having 2 quality goalies during a shortened season does help the team.

So can a return help the team more than that this year? I think that's what Gillis is looking for right now. If he wants to just move him to anyone that's interested, while not getting anything back that helps the team, then just hold on to him and play the market next summer.

NFITO is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 04:49 AM
  #806
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 22,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I'm not sure I understand. In what scenario would Philly deal with the cap hit for the next 14 years?



No you're just speculating, same as anyone else. Colorado might have been trying to pressure ROR into taking a lower offer, and it's not working. As the season goes on they may just decide to cut their losses and deal his rights. There are plenty of reasons why a trade would be delayed until a few games into the season. Assuming Gillis is lying because he said he has a deal in priciple worked out is just reaching.
If Philadelphia misses the cap-free buyout window on Bryzgalov because of injury, then the only option would be to pay him the buyout on the cap.

As the season goes on, that may be the case, but it's been 2 games.

No team's viewpoint on what they're prepared to do and and not prepared to do is going to change after 2 games of sloppy hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Ok , this is about enough now. How about you let it go. We understand your point of view. Nobody has the market cornered on 'truth' . Anyone can spin an argument around what they want to believe.

Let it go.
You seem to disagree. How do you come to that conclusion?

Do you think Gillis had a deal done in camp? Do you think teams had played more than 2 games prior to Gillis making these comments? Do you think GMs view the hockey they're seeing now as representative of what they'll see all year? Do you think GMs make kneejerk reactions on 10 year committments after 2 games?

Which of these components do you disagree with? If it's none, then how can you conclude that Gillis is in fact telling the truth, unless he's lowered his asking price?

seanlinden is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 05:04 AM
  #807
RECsGuy*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,481
vCash: 500
If you want to see Luongo traded sooner rather than later, pull for Vancouver's opponents.

RECsGuy* is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 05:16 AM
  #808
SoulReaper
Cake is a LIE!
 
SoulReaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post
I'm just curious what happens first: Luongo growing unhappy with the situation and forcing the Canucks hand or will a team get so desperate they pay the price?

I think it would be cool to see him in Toronto, but I don't want them to give up Kadri or Bozak. Leafs should build around Reimer/Scrivens (backup for Schneider), Kulemin and Colborne.
It's okay. Leafs can keep both of Kadri and Bozak cause I wouldn't want either or both for Luongo's return.

SoulReaper is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 05:31 AM
  #809
MikeK
Registered User
 
MikeK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,368
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulReaper View Post
It's okay. Leafs can keep both of Kadri and Bozak cause I wouldn't want either or both for Luongo's return.
Don't worry. The Toronto myth is all but dead now. They really don't have a thing that can help the Canucks and the Leafs rate their prospects among the best in the league giving them untouchable status.

MikeK is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 05:41 AM
  #810
AlMo
Registered User
 
AlMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto
Country: Portugal
Posts: 9,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulReaper View Post
It's okay. Leafs can keep both of Kadri and Bozak cause I wouldn't want either or both for Luongo's return.
I don't think you'll find many Leafs fans upset over this comment. IMO, the Nucks can keep Lou and deal with him in the offseason when the salary cap drops 7 million

AlMo is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 06:05 AM
  #811
SoulReaper
Cake is a LIE!
 
SoulReaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
I don't think you'll find many Leafs fans upset over this comment. IMO, the Nucks can keep Lou and deal with him in the offseason when the salary cap drops 7 million
I wasn't trying to make anyone mad with that comment. Just saying that I wouldn't want either or both of them as Luongo's potential return.

Besides, it's very unlikely now that Leafs are trading for Luongo so yeah.

I have enough trust on Gillis that he can make things work before the eventual cap drop happens next season.

SoulReaper is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 06:45 AM
  #812
RCS
Registered User
 
RCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: The Big Smoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulReaper View Post
It's okay. Leafs can keep both of Kadri and Bozak cause I wouldn't want either or both for Luongo's return.
You were never getting them to begin with LOL.

RCS is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 07:10 AM
  #813
palindrom
Registered User
 
palindrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
how rare do you see a GM trade a top goalie to a divisional opponent.
anything else equal, there are 4 chance out of 29 that any trades is to a Divisional opponent.

Multiply these odds to the number of top goalie that was traded in the past few years...

So we could live through a decade without seeing any top goalie traded to a rival, and it would have nothing to do with any supposed unwillingness a GM have to trade with a divisional opponent.

The main reason why its rare to see a divisional trade is because a GM have only 4 teams to trade with inside their division VS 25 teams who aren't in the division.


Last edited by palindrom: 01-23-2013 at 07:18 AM.
palindrom is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 07:11 AM
  #814
doorman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 613
vCash: 500
Here is just a thought, if Gillis wants to play his cards so close to the vest so to speak why bring this up? I mean one would have to assume that said team having to move unknown player has to be either a goalie or larger contract, right? Well if this info is out and you are the GM looking to deal for Lou, do you really feel like Gillis just helped your cause? Or if you are the GM aquiring said player and have now figured out that A+B=C, do you try to squeeze a little more out the deal for yourself?

doorman is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 07:23 AM
  #815
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,846
vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
If Philadelphia misses the cap-free buyout window on Bryzgalov because of injury, then the only option would be to pay him the buyout on the cap.
So only if Bryzgalov gets an injury that keeps him from playing for at least 2.5 years, but not bad enough that it ends his career. When is the last time that happened to a player?

Quote:
As the season goes on, that may be the case, but it's been 2 games.

No team's viewpoint on what they're prepared to do and and not prepared to do is going to change after 2 games of sloppy hockey.
For the umpteenth time, it might not have anything to do with how the team is playing, but with the season starting and any RFA's have not shown any inclination to lower their demands, they might feel that waiting any longer won't change anything. Or, they might be waiting for Visnovsky to return to North America. Or perhaps something else entirely. You have no clue what's going on in Gillis' office, so to accuse him of lying when there could be any number of possibilities as to why a deal might take place now is rather weak.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 07:24 AM
  #816
MuchoMacho
Registered User
 
MuchoMacho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Penalty Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
Here is just a thought, if Gillis wants to play his cards so close to the vest so to speak why bring this up? I mean one would have to assume that said team having to move unknown player has to be either a goalie or larger contract, right? Well if this info is out and you are the GM looking to deal for Lou, do you really feel like Gillis just helped your cause? Or if you are the GM aquiring said player and have now figured out that A+B=C, do you try to squeeze a little more out the deal for yourself?
Dreger said it was likely because Gillis was trying to force Nonis' hand to make a deal. Makes sense to me. Although I really feel bad for Luongo, Gillis says something like that and then Luongo says he has no clue about any trade being in the works.

MuchoMacho is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 07:25 AM
  #817
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,846
vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
If you want to see Luongo traded sooner rather than later, pull for Vancouver's opponents.
But not when Schneider's playing...

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 07:42 AM
  #818
gabeliscious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
anything else equal, there are 4 chance out of 29 that any trades is to a Divisional opponent.

Multiply these odds to the number of top goalie that was traded in the past few years...

So we could live through a decade without seeing any top goalie traded to a rival, and it would have nothing to do with any supposed unwillingness a GM have to trade with a divisional opponent.

The main reason why its rare to see a divisional trade is because a GM have only 4 teams to trade with inside their division VS 25 teams who aren't in the division.
^ i disagree.

you dont like to **** where you eat. why would you want to help a team who you are going to play ~8 times a year and possibly in the playoffs.

i would think divisional trades would be easier because you see the players more often on the other team. i can understand that obviously there are more teams outside of division then in but it seems like most big trades are out of conference entirely never mind division.

gabeliscious is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 08:04 AM
  #819
baartman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
The longer this drags out, the lower the value is for luongo. As a Vancouver fan even recognized, luongo wants this done by the summer. What does this mean for Gillis? He will face increasing pressure from luongo as the season goes on, no matter how the Canucks play, and he will also face increasing pressure from ownership, no matter how canucks play.

Ownership does not want to be stuck with a buyout, and every GM knows this, hence the wait, hence the UNDERvaluing of luongo. Luongo has to be moved within this season for cap reasons. Gillis seems to holding on because he knows getting good value for luongo could be the difference between a Stanley cup winner, or 2011 redux.

baartman is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 08:09 AM
  #820
doorman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by baartman View Post
The longer this drags out, the lower the value is for luongo. As a Vancouver fan even recognized, luongo wants this done by the summer. What does this mean for Gillis? He will face increasing pressure from luongo as the season goes on, no matter how the Canucks play, and he will also face increasing pressure from ownership, no matter how canucks play.

Ownership does not want to be stuck with a buyout, and every GM knows this, hence the wait, hence the UNDERvaluing of luongo. Luongo has to be moved within this season for cap reasons. Gillis seems to holding on because he knows getting good value for luongo could be the difference between a Stanley cup winner, or 2011 redux.
I think a lot of your fellow Nucks fans will disagree with you. i always saw his age/contract & CBA changes as lowering his value. It is said I am wrong a lot, but in the world of salary caps there don't seem to be a lot of "hockey trades' made these days. He certainly won't fetch what a player of his calibre should, IMO

doorman is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 08:14 AM
  #821
caribouPINE
Registered User
 
caribouPINE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,229
vCash: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Don't worry. The Toronto myth is all but dead now. They really don't have a thing that can help the Canucks and the Leafs rate their prospects among the best in the league giving them untouchable status.

It's actually the EXACT opposite. I'm surprised you can't see that.

Non-Leaf fans rate their prospects like garbage. Literally. Every single one of them are considered "meh" or B-rate prospects

caribouPINE is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 08:22 AM
  #822
OCPenguin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Don't worry. The Toronto myth is all but dead now. They really don't have a thing that can help the Canucks and the Leafs rate their prospects among the best in the league giving them untouchable status.
Some sort of denial is good enough for me that there is smoke that Lu could be headed to Toronto. That said, I think Gillis DOESN'T have a deal in place and it trying to get business going again.

OCPenguin is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 08:26 AM
  #823
Bleach Clean
Moderator
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 18,910
vCash: 500
The "deal in place" comment has me thinking that the trade partner can send NHL assets back, not futures. Something that can help now.


However, should this drag to the offseason, then Gillis's needs may shift. He may be more apt to trading Luongo for futures because he doesn't need immediate help at that point... So the type of return is time dependent IMO.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 08:26 AM
  #824
rune74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,114
vCash: 500
I'm thinking he does have a deal in place and what he is doing is trying to see if he can drive up the value from other teams by giving a sort of countdown. If he can make another team react to try and beat out a trade then he is doing his job as GM of the canucks.

For the record I don't see all leafs prospects as garbage, but to the canucks a lot do not have the worth that they would to say a rebuilding team.

Bozak however is not what our team needs and would literally be a 3rd liner on our team.

rune74 is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 08:27 AM
  #825
Bleach Clean
Moderator
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 18,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Some sort of denial is good enough for me that there is smoke that Lu could be headed to Toronto. That said, I think Gillis DOESN'T have a deal in place and it trying to get business going again.


Did you hear the earlier speculation about Lu nixing a deal to TOR prior to the lockout?


He ain't going to Toronto.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.