HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals) ‎ ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2013, 09:44 AM
KeninsFan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Luongo turning down TO, OK. But if Gillis is alienating himself from a deal with the team that has the biggest need due to his personal issues with the TO media....that doesn't seem prudent.
If Luongo turned down TO, then Gillis no longer sees them as a viable trading partner.

It really seems like Gillis is trolling TO media at this point.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:46 AM
doorman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
Gillis for some odd reason is taking shots at the TO media. First Edler then his recent comments about the trade featuring a team that isn't obvious.

What's even more weird is the same TO media taking shots back. Even McKenzie interpreted the obvious team meaning the Flyers for some reason.

The rumours of Luongo turning down Toronto at the draft are being brushed aside and Toronto is still seen as a front runner for Luongo even though signs point to the opposite (Nonis is patient, Canucks need pieces, Kadri playing well, etc).
See and I think people stating Mackenzie as a T.O. media person are just wrong. Mac doesn't love the Leafs and is well regarded as the best insider in the business, the man has integrity. You don't make the contacts he has by blabbing just anything he is well respected because of this. And, Lebrun is the one who states most often on TSN, that he believes the Leafs are the most logical destination.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
see and I agree sorta, when I say other costs I mean that he makes you just good enough to start fooling yourself that you are a better team then you are. You start to draft later which is a bigger gamble for a young team. The chances of a later pick making an impact right away a slim. Granted he may attract ufa'S being solid in net? For years leaf fans were bashed for trying to buy a team, instead of being patient, now we are being told buy high....lol.
The reason i'm for Luongo, because the hardest position to fill via draft or trade is 1G. We have what....20 million to play with this offseason? Having a 1G in place makes it easier to build from there. But alas...it seems that Luongo doesn't want to be here, and Gillis has a mean-on for the TO media.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:47 AM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by baartman View Post
I think it's gillis showing the owners he is working on the situation, it buys him time, a resource that is running out. Of course he has a deal in place, he's had one the first day Lu came on the market, gillis would be naive to think GM's around the league would fooled by this!

The only other explanation would be gillis is trolling the Toronto media.
Just because another Gm was fired doesn't mean he is going to be.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:48 AM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
If Luongo turned down TO, then Gillis no longer sees them as a viable trading partner.

It really seems like Gillis is trolling TO media at this point.
Do you believe he has?

Old
01-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

the same fan before and after aquiring Luongo.

Then: (main board trade rumours)
Hey im looking to see if we can get luongo but geez, that contract? and he's been a little shaky, not too sure....i can offer a borderline 2nd line player and this great prospect - he's really under the radar but huge value and frankly we'd be doing you a favour and taking a lot of risk....

After: (Team board)
We're a contender. We have one of the best goalies on the planet, (he was the goalie for Team Canada for chrissakes!!!!!) contract?!? pffft $5 million is nothing! what do expect to pay for a starter go ahead make a list of the starters with their salaries.....yeah that's what i thought. woohoo! we probably have the best goalie tandem in the east/west.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:52 AM
doorman

Quote:
The reason i'm for Luongo, because the hardest position to fill via draft or trade is 1G. We have what....20 million to play with this offseason? Having a 1G in place makes it easier to build from there. But alas...it seems that Luongo doesn't want to be here, and Gillis has a mean-on for the TO media.
Which is another reason i am on the fence for Lou. I mean if we luck out in the draft and get a bluechipper, especially a forward, then ya up the offer and go for it.It isn't all about the cap space as i realize you need to pay for talent. The orther thing that has me on the fence is do i really want a #1G who says, well if there is nowhere else i can play, i'll go. I mean lou with a chip on his shoulder will be a good thing for whoever gets him. But i want a guy who WANT'S to be a Leaf.

That being said I don't think Lou, whether he admits it now or not appreciates Gillis' staement.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post

Hey im looking to see if we can get luongo but geez, that contract? and he's been a little shaky, not too sure....i can offer a borderline 2nd line player and this great prospect - he's really under the radar but huge value and frankly we'd be doing you a favour and taking a lot of risk....

We're a contender. We have one of the best goalies on the planet, (he was the goalie for Team Canada for chrissakes!!!!!) contract?!? pffft $5 million is nothing! what do expect to pay for a starter go ahead make a list of the starters with their salaries.....yeah that's what i thought. woohoo! we probably have the best goalie tandem in the east/west.
OR....

Then: We have this amazing starter!!! Give us your 1st, a top 6 player and your best prospect!!! His contract is nothing!!!

After (recieving 2nd liner and a 2nd round pick) i can't believe we suckered team X into taking that washed up player with the anchor of a contract!!!

Yup,,,,that was fun....thanks.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:53 AM
baartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
Just because another Gm was fired doesn't mean he is going to be.
I never said he'd get fired. We're taking about millions of dollars, and organizational assets. Any GM would be pressured here.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:54 AM
doorman

Quote:

Isn't it our job as armchair Gm's to attepmt to buy low and sell high? lol. And truth be told I don't think Lou played all that well in the gold medal game at the olympics.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:55 AM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
Bozak while a better player then given credit for on these boards is certainly avail by fans, IMO. For me aa a Leafs fan the problem with aquiring Lou is and isn't the direct cost, but the other costs THAT COME WITH AQUIRING HIM,
Ok that makes more sense.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
Kadri I can see, but Bozak? There are some TML fans that wouldn't give up Bozak to get Luongo? That surprises me but maybe there's more to Bozak than I have seen in my limited viewings.
Leaf fans dont care if Bozak goes to Vancouver in any deal for Luo go, its what is being demanded in price ahead of Bozak that will likely kill any deal with TO.

With a real coach now in Toronto, you can very much bet that Kadri will be centering the 1st line before the end of the season. He'll work his way up the ladder.
Gardiner is not going to be traded either.

All in all, Gillis is probably demanding too much or the deal would have been done already and he wouldn't have top create a phantom team and say the deal is close.

Vancouver and Toronto don't make good trading partners.

Also, Bozak is a lot better than people give him credit for. He is definitely better than Schroeder as a center option.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Which is another reason i am on the fence for Lou. I mean if we luck out in the draft and get a bluechipper, especially a forward, then ya up the offer and go for it.It isn't all about the cap space as i realize you need to pay for talent. The orther thing that has me on the fence is do i really want a #1G who says, well if there is nowhere else i can play, i'll go. I mean lou with a chip on his shoulder will be a good thing for whoever gets him. But i want a guy who WANT'S to be a Leaf.

That being said I don't think Lou, whether he admits it now or not appreciates Gillis' staement.
I know it's only 2 games in, but you can see they have worked hard on team defense. Now be honest, when the other team has a scoring chance...do you still get that feeling of impending doom? I do. Maybe Scrivens/Reimer can prove me wrong.

I guess it all comes down to if you want to tank or not.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:02 AM
McArthur

Quote:
OR....

Then: We have this amazing starter!!! Give us your 1st, a top 6 player and your best prospect!!! His contract is nothing!!!

After (recieving 2nd liner and a 2nd round pick) i can't believe we suckered team X into taking that washed up player with the anchor of a contract!!!

Yup,,,,that was fun....thanks.
This!!!

The last twilight number 1 goaltender we had got us 3 first overall draft picks

Old
01-23-2013, 10:03 AM
rune74

I like gardiner, and understand he is a good player. But to be honest he isn't a needed asset in Vancouver. We have a solid D core and he would be hard pressed to crack our top 6, maybe 5 or 6 dman. That is not what we need. We need scoring, a sniper. Take that for what it's worth.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:04 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/...ilers_rumours/

Sam Gagner's father Dave works for the Canucks as their Director of Player Development.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:05 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
I like gardiner, and understand he is a good player. But to be honest he isn't a needed asset in Vancouver. We have a solid D core and he would be hard pressed to crack our top 6, maybe 5 or 6 dman. That is not what we need. We need scoring, a sniper. Take that for what it's worth.
you're crazy

Old
01-23-2013, 10:07 AM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

Quote:
Isn't it our job as armchair Gm's to attepmt to buy low and sell high? lol. And truth be told I don't think Lou played all that well in the gold medal game at the olympics.
hey i hear you and the guy who played the opposite side of the game.
personally i wouldnt want him, i cant say regardless of contract but i just never really like what i see from him. i know he pretty good but i never have a great feeling watching him play.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:08 AM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Not sure were this came from, Gardiner wouldn't be on the table. As far as sniper...i can't think of any team thatis going to deal a true sniper for Luongo. That isn't a knock on Lu, it's just that teams looking for a starter ie: Edm,TO, FLA (maybe) or the Jackets don't have a sniper to give. Chi and Philly. maybe, but i guess it depends on your definition of sniper.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
you're crazy
or maybe gardiner isnt Bobby Orr yet. is it really so crazy to think that he might be in the 3rd pairing in Vancouver?
im not saying TO makes that deal, but it may in fact be a reality that he'd play on the 3rd pairing.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:12 AM
rune74

Quote:
Not sure were this came from, Gardiner wouldn't be on the table. As far as sniper...i can't think of any team thatis going to deal a true sniper for Luongo. That isn't a knock on Lu, it's just that teams looking for a starter ie: Edm,TO, FLA (maybe) or the Jackets don't have a sniper to give. Chi and Philly. maybe, but i guess it depends on your definition of sniper.
I meant that to show that I coubt that is what Gillis is looking for. We wouldn't be looking to shore up a strength with more players. We need more offensive players so Kadri and lupal were ok peices in my mind that was about it.

Edmonton does have a ton of firepower to offer up, Philly may as well.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:13 AM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
or maybe gardiner isnt Bobby Orr yet. is it really so crazy to think that he might be in the 3rd pairing in Vancouver?
im not saying TO makes that deal, but it may in fact be a reality that he'd play on the 3rd pairing.
Watch him play, if he isn't 2nd pairing then your defense is better than i thought. He's a great puck mover with high offensive upside.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:13 AM
KeninsFan

Quote:
Do you believe he has?
I believe Gillis knows Luongo won't waive for TO unless they stop rebuilding, I've always believed that Gillis has used the TO offers as leverage.

There's a reason why every facet of the proposed deals are so public from the TO side and yet very quiet on the Vancouver side.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
I believe Gillis knows Luongo won't waive for TO unless they stop rebuilding, I've always believed that Gillis has used the TO offers as leverage.

There's a reason why every facet of the proposed deals are so public from the TO side and yet very quiet on the Vancouver side.
Wouldn't aquiring a 33 year old with 10 years left indicate they aren't rebuilding?

The Leafs aren't doing a tank rebuild. If not for the 17 game fiasco last season, they would have been a playoff team.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:15 AM
baartman

At this point, Gillis wants value over team needs IMO.

Closed Thread