HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nino seeking trade?

Old
01-23-2013, 08:10 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
1st off whats this love affair with Can Fowler??? He fell to 12th so in hindsight 6 other teams had a chance to grab him and let him go. Here are the players picked before him and by position.
6.RW Brett Connolly Tampa
7.C Jeff SKinner Carolina
8.C Alexander Burmistrov Atlanta
9.W Mikael Granlund Minnesota (love this kid, just getting his shot this year)
10.D Dylan McIlrath Rangers
11.G Jack Campbell Dallas
If anyone should be kicking themselves its the Rags!!

Fowler had a great rookie season playing with great talent around him and i know he is still very young with lots of upside so we shall see in years to come what kind of player he really is.These are his stats in his 1st 2 years and notably again he was/is playing with lots more talent then he would have here, see Getzlaf,Ryan,Perry,Selanne and Visnovsky that 1st season.

10/11 76 10 30 40 -25
11/12 82 5 24 29 -28

Obviously very good/great stats 1st year maybe a sophmore slump in the 2nd but his +/- is horrifying so people acting like he the next coming of Lidstrom or Pronger i dont see that happening but we shall see.

Edit: just found this article http://kuklaskorner.com/index.php/ps...worst_adjusted
"Cam Fowler is no stranger to posting poor puck possession stats. Last season he posted the worst adjusted Corsi rating in the league. These numbers show that Fowler has had problems adjusting to NHL play. Fowler is a future NHL star who has been playing a big role in the NHL as a teenager. In fact when I wrote about the lack of established elite defencemen today commenter CMo44 listed Fowler as an elite defenceman who is well on his way."

"He has clearly been given a big role on the Anaheim Ducks. Many interpret this as a sign he is a star. What people don’t notice is that he is struggling defensively. When Fowler is on the ice, the other team has the puck and they score more goals than his team does. Fowler struggles at even strength. He isn’t ready to play the role that he has been given. Perhaps he never will be ready."

"Cam Fowler is a young defenceman. His story as a top draft pick who has immediately jumped into a big role in the NHL makes many think he is already an NHL star. He isn’t. He has been a liability to his team. He does have a lot of potential and might improve as he grows into his NHL career. However right now he is not a star defenceman despite what many want to believe."
Nino over Fowler anyday and the ISlanders desperately needed Offense that year in the draft and for the future. The Islanders were bad and Offensive players sell tickets not Defenseman even those that create offensive plays. Alot of people had Skinner lower if not for his size and Fowler kept on dropping. If any team surprised me by passing on Fowler it was the NYR. Nino hasnt even gotten a chance so how do we know what the ISlanders have.
The funny things is by leaving stars in the minors who could be helping us get better now may actually help our team in the future. I would love to get Drouin in 2013.
This same logic may backfire if guys like Aucoin and Hickey turn in to players and help the NYI wins. But since Im a fan I want to win. The worst thing the Islanders can do is trade away prospects and high picks. So no way do we trade Nino and this whole situation bothers me. Nino should have been invited to camp. If he played well enough he makes the team. Simple as that. Boulton? Reasoner? MacDonald? Finley?
Martinek? Whilesome of these guys were siting home Nino was playing and at a very effective level. Younger players Like GRiggs and Gally drafted last season are already on the NHL club

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:10 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post
Nino & Scott Mayfield for Adam Larsson.
I'd do that

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:13 AM
kuwo

Quote:
Nino & Scott Mayfield for Adam Larsson.
I would do this too...

kuwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:22 AM
Hyphistos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Yeah, that's rough, but why is it full of it? He's exercising his leverage when it is absolutely plausible that Nino's development has been bungled from the start. It's ruthless, sure, but we're not his client. It doesn't have to sound good to us.

Cheers,

Dan-o
You are probably right. I have overreacted there, but it's just so frustrating, especially as agents first of all always have their own interests in mind, and then that of their clients. Especially in the case of Nino I am not so sure about his high praised personality. He seems to be without any patience, I found it already strange when Snow said he keeps Nino up because "he promised it to him" last year. Maybe that was just a dumb excuse for other reasons already discussed here, but I think there is some truth.

I totally agree that the way Nino was handled here so far was everything but optimal, but still, saying "he has no chance here on the Islanders" is complete rubbish. Why should that be? Because the Islanders are such a mean team, they let their best players rot on purpose? Because that would be the only reason that would make sense. In every other scenario there would be no good reason for a trade, as there are few teams where it would be easier to be better than someone on the current roster. Although I agree that he hasn't been given a real chance, he nevertheless hasn't proven anything yet.

Hyphistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:24 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
I'd do that
I'd want a 2nd or a 3rd back as well. Mayfield has all the makings of a long-term player and Larsson is a healthy scratch after a back injury last season.

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:27 AM
nyisles

Send a message via ICQ to nyisles Send a message via AIM to nyisles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissGrog View Post
For all the curious: Nino's agent, Andy Rufener, confirms that it was his idea to ask for a trade, convincing Nino it was the best for his development. He says it takes full responsibility on eventual fall-out but that he has to do the right thing for Nino.
Where's Milbury with a "village idiot" quote when you need him? This guy should start thinking about a new line of work as he's clearly not a shrewd player agent.

01-23-2013, 08:51 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Nino's agent is obviously a selfish POS. Want's his paycheck so is willing to talk Nino into destroying his reputation so he can get it. What an absolute joke.

On the bright side, for those of you saying 'his agent probably won't ever negotiate a new contract with Snow'... the players make the decisions. Not the agents. If Nino eventually gets the call, has success and genuinely likes playing here, I'm sure he will work on an extension with Snow. Regardless of how his agent feels about him.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:54 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissGrog View Post
For all the curious: Nino's agent, Andy Rufener, confirms that it was his idea to ask for a trade, convincing Nino it was the best for his development. He says it takes full responsibility on eventual fall-out but that he has to do the right thing for Nino. He doesn't see a future for Nino with this GM and this Coach.

Full interview with the agent (in german):
http://www.20min.ch/sport/eishockey/story/-Nino-muss-zu-einem-Team--das-an-ihn-glaubt--30354469
How would he know what's best for his development? His wealth of experience? Similar to Bergenheim's situation when his agent thought he knew what was best.

The only way I would trade Nino is if he doesn't eventually fire his agent.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:57 AM
crashthenet

I guess his agent is influenced by Larry Brooks.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:18 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashthenet View Post
How would he know what's best for his development? His wealth of experience? Similar to Bergenheim's situation when his agent thought he knew what was best.

I doubt he fires his agent, the guy represents a large contingent of Swiss players in the NHL. He's taking the bullet, but Nino had to give his permission for the guy to request a trade.

If Nino were to fire him though, that would be very interesting. I would personally love to see that, but it would also be Nino covering his butt.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:02 AM
crashthenet

IPB claims this to be a story from training camp.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:15 AM
BorzNYI

Quote:
IPB claims this to be a story from training camp.
That was in the Newsday report as well.

BorzNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:34 AM
kasper11

Quote:

I don't care if he fires the agent or not. As long as he doesn't sulk but continues to work hard and play well all will be forgiven.

I believe there is a spot for him in the top-6 next year if he proves ready in camp. If he plays well everyone will be happy and he will sign a long-term deal.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:41 AM
LAPPY13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
I don't care if he fires the agent or not. As long as he doesn't sulk but continues to work hard and play well all will be forgiven.

I believe there is a spot for him in the top-6 next year if he proves ready in camp. If he plays well everyone will be happy and he will sign a long-term deal.
You are 100% correct!

LAPPY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:52 AM
nystromshairstylist
Puck control master

Clearly, the Isles under Wang are obviously a cr-p org that no one wants to play for, this is really embarrassing across the league. What's worse is the impact this will have on the perceptions for future free agents and their willingness to sign with the team.

How many players are the team trying to bring under the fold now, Lubo, Nino, etc.? How many over the past 5 years?

One can only pray Wang sells to someone who actually wants to be a hockey team owner, not a real estate owner with a side business in hockey.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:58 AM
19 in a row

It's business, simply business.. posturing to get a better situation for his client. When he comes up next year, or maybe even later this season as an injury replacement, this will go away if he plays well. I like that he is getting this seasoning in the AHL and I think most agree it is best for him. Nothing to see here now, wake me when he becomes an RFA before the 2014-2015 season.

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:39 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
I'd want a 2nd or a 3rd back as well. Mayfield has all the makings of a long-term player and Larsson is a healthy scratch after a back injury last season.
Larsson had a bruised back, not a major injury. He played 3 games in the Stanley Cup finals and didnt look out of place. Excellent experience for him. Look at the Devils current roster and tell me whom Larsson should play in front of? Volchenkov might be the only legit answer. NJ has a log-jam of defensemen and defense prospects. Burlon, Merrill, Gelinas, Urbom, Severson, Scarlett. Non have the upside as Larsson but all of them can be legit NHL players. Meanwhile, aside from Stefan Matteau the Devils have almost no forward prospects with top 6 upside.

The trade would be need for need. Adding Mayfield is key because NJ needs RH shooters and he can stay in college for another 2 years and then play in Albany for another year or two. Larsson straight up for Niedereiter wouldnt be a fair deal. AL has more upside. A franchise defensemen potentially

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:50 AM
scott99

Quote:
Larsson had a bruised back, not a major injury. He played 3 games in the Stanley Cup finals and didnt look out of place. Excellent experience for him. Look at the Devils current roster and tell me whom Larsson should play in front of? Volchenkov might be the only legit answer. NJ has a log-jam of defensemen and defense prospects. Burlon, Merrill, Gelinas, Urbom, Severson, Scarlett. Non have the upside as Larsson but all of them can be legit NHL players. Meanwhile, aside from Stefan Matteau the Devils have almost no forward prospects with top 6 upside.

The trade would be need for need. Adding Mayfield is key because NJ needs RH shooters and he can stay in college for another 2 years and then play in Albany for another year or two. Larsson straight up for Niedereiter wouldnt be a fair deal. AL has more upside. A franchise defensemen potentially
I do like Larsson, I think in 3 or 4 years, he can be a great d-man. These guys take a while to mature. Watching Hedman on Monday, he seems to be coming into his own now in his 4th season, and by his 6th season, I would not be shocked to see him in the allstar game on a regular basis. I really liked what I saw from him Monday. I figure by the time Mayfield finishes college, and a couple of years of Bridgeport, he may be a beast. I rather keep Nino and Mayfield, no offense to Larsson, I see good things for all 3 prospects. I remember ISS compared Mayfield to Hedman, if he winds up a similar player, I'd hate to see us trade him, and then see him star for another team.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:07 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

big picture - everyone is wrong

ISLES:
- laughing stock organization and perennial failures, nothing but lottery picks under garth
- you ban a reporter, you cheat the cap floor, your team is built with duct tape and prayer
- fan relations, media relations, only contribute to deteriorating the team brand.
- using young players to cheat the cap floor because their ELC means you pay them very little and the bonus makes you reach the floor is a smart way to "cheat" the team while playing within the rules of the CBA, but gets ZERO respect in the room and around the league, with other players, free agents, etc.

that's all on SNOW (and Wang, of course)
----
NINO & AGENT:
- enjoy your $900k and commissions you earned last year. You didn't "earn" it and didn't deserve it.
- don't whine about 4th line minutes. YOUR PLAY dictates your ice time. If you didn't realize you were overmatched, too bad. If you felt mishandled, you should have asked to go back to Portland, not complain after the fact.
- All you need to do to make the NHL is be BETTER than the players that are in the lineup. It shouldn't be too hard, the NYI are among the least talented team in hockey. If you can't make it there you can't make it anywhere! (there's a song about that )
----

Nobody wins here.

But even though Snow might not be in the wrong in this specific case, he's helped make this team a laughing stock and that's a BIG PART of the reason why Visnovsky won't play here, why free agents don't come. When you build a team TO WIN, you surround your young players with help to make them successful, you are less likely to run into these situations. It's not the arena, Detroit's arena is horrid.

So, maybe Nino's agent is just ruffling feathers and maybe it'll all blow over and maybe the Isles will be better one day and things will change.....but seriously, there's NOTHING to suggest things will be different.

Maybe Frank Gallagher will stop drinking and Flip will go to College and Charlie will finally get the waitress - but most likely, it won't happen.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:22 PM
DaveT83*

Toronto offers JVR straight up.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:24 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Toronto offers JVR straight up.
Wow. You guys are giving up on him this quickly? Must not have looked good so far in Toronto.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:28 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Wow. You guys are giving up on him this quickly? Must not have looked good so far in Toronto.
He's a fine player. Tons of untapped potential yet to be realized. He just doesn't have enough 'Jam' to really help Toronto's roster IMO. Nino would be a better fit on this Toronto roster.

Both players have very similar skillsets. JVR quite a bit more seasoned at the NHL level which would work in NYI's favour.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:34 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
He's a fine player. Tons of untapped potential yet to be realized. He just doesn't have enough 'Jam' to really help Toronto's roster IMO. Nino would be a better fit on this Toronto roster.

Both players have very similar skillsets. JVR quite a bit more seasoned at the NHL level which would work in NYI's favour.
Fair enough. I just don't see anything happening. I think Nino's upside is worth more to the Isles than anything they would get back in a trade. Nino's only problem is apparently not getting NHL ice-time. Once he gets that(probably even before he gets it), I'm sure this whole thing will blow over.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Wow. Thats BS. I don't even think this has anything to do with where the Islanders are as an organization. I think this has to do with the kid being a brat and not liking that he has to prove he can play in the NHL before he does. He had what 1 goal? Sure the potential and talent is there but prove your worth before you demand a trade.

Its not as if he will find a better team for his situation. He is a young kid and the Isles are at the point where all they will be doing is incorporating young kids to try and build a long term contender. Nino can be apart of that if he just waits. Or he can be traded to a current cup contender who may be 2 years away from needing to re-build just as the Isles are starting to catch fire and becoming a serious playoff contender.

I am so baffled by this its not even funny.

01-23-2013, 12:47 PM
25yearfan

Quote:
I guess his agent is influenced by Larry Brooks.
...not to mention Larry Moen-Curli. Note the Swissified spelling (Swissified?)

25yearfan is offline   Reply With Quote