HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nino seeking trade?

Old
01-31-2013, 08:33 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBdude View Post
A new interview with Nino's agent:

Ten days ago you asked Garth Snow to trade Nino Niederreiter. Looking back, would you do it again?
Yes, I would. It was not a spontaneous decision because Nino wasn't invited to the Isles camp. That would not have been professional. It was a reaction we long thought about to the actions of the Islanders in the last one and a half years. If they don't plan with Nino that's their right and we will accept that without problems but then they should give him the chance of proving himself elsewhere.

Interestingly coach Jack Capuano sent him to the press box last year after they were out of the playoffs instead of giving him a chance.
I don't want to comment these kind of things in public. Let's just say: Nino Niederreiter has not received the development possibilities and the appreciation a top 5th draft pick usually receives in other organizations. We are not demanding special treatment, just simply fair handling off and on the ice.

You are always in contact with other General Managers.What's their reaction to this trade request?
Always is exaggerated but I have received feedbacks from the highest positions who show understanding for our move. I was glad about that. And there are teams that would gladly take Nino in to their NHL roster immediately. I have noticed anyway that negative criticism is only coming from people without expert knowledge or who don't collect background information and thus are not in a position to evaluate the circumstances.

What are the chances of a trade?
The chances aren't very big currently. We never assumed that Garth Snow would immediately turn every stone to make a trade. But we sent a message. And that message has arrived. Maybe Nino will get the chance he deserved based on his performance with the Sound Tigers or we can't exclude that in the course of the season other NHL-organizations will approach Garth Snow with a trade offer.

http://www.20min.ch/sport/eishockey/...llen--23529650

This agent seems like a jerk. Nino HAS NOT PROVEN ANYTHING!!!

01-31-2013, 08:37 AM
BillD

Quote:

Ten days ago you asked Garth Snow to trade Nino Niederreiter. Looking back, would you do it again?
Yes, I would. It was not a spontaneous decision because Nino wasn't invited to the Isles camp. That would not have been professional. It was a reaction we long thought about to the actions of the Islanders in the last one and a half years. If they don't plan with Nino that's their right and we will accept that without problems but then they should give him the chance of proving himself elsewhere.

Interestingly coach Jack Capuano sent him to the press box last year after they were out of the playoffs instead of giving him a chance.
I don't want to comment these kind of things in public. Let's just say: Nino Niederreiter has not received the development possibilities and the appreciation a top 5th draft pick usually receives in other organizations. We are not demanding special treatment, just simply fair handling off and on the ice.

You are always in contact with other General Managers.What's their reaction to this trade request?
Always is exaggerated but I have received feedbacks from the highest positions who show understanding for our move. I was glad about that. And there are teams that would gladly take Nino in to their NHL roster immediately. I have noticed anyway that negative criticism is only coming from people without expert knowledge or who don't collect background information and thus are not in a position to evaluate the circumstances.

The chances aren't very big currently. We never assumed that Garth Snow would immediately turn every stone to make a trade. But we sent a message. And that message has arrived. Maybe Nino will get the chance he deserved based on his performance with the Sound Tigers or we can't exclude that in the course of the season other NHL-organizations will approach Garth Snow with a trade offer.

If truthful and to be believed, it appears that Nino/agent have exposed themselves to a huge self promoting hustle of Snow. We all know they have no leverage, so either Snow becomes convined Nino is ready and calls him up, or there is a shortage of healthy bodies that requires he be re-called, or Snow feels that he has enough on the roster that Nino does not surpass, and he leaves him where he is until his game rounds out.
If Nino tanks, it could force Snow's hand. That will have to be seen. And if Nino is re-called and can hold down a roster spot on the top 9 forwards....yeah, his first RFA negotiation will be very interesting.

Last edited by BillD: 01-31-2013 at 08:44 AM.
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:48 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:

When the news first broke, that Nino's agent had told the isles they wanted Nino to be traded, the agent and Nino both spoke to the press and fans. There was no mention or complaint from either, about how the isles kept Nino up last season, how he struggled last season.

Now, 10 days later, after the isles have slapped down the trade request and the press is asking 'what has Nino done, to make him think he deserves an nhl spot' , we get a 2nd interview complaining about last season.

I'd buy the complaints about last season's treatment, if Nino hadn't expressed pride in being an NHLer last season, if he and his agent hadn't stressed in the first interview, that their displeasure was in Nino's riding the AHL buses this season, when he's leading the ST in scoring.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:55 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
This agent seems like a jerk. Nino HAS NOT PROVEN ANYTHING!!!
I have to admit, the agent's complaint about Cappy scratching Nino when the isles were out of the playoff race, was a complaint I made last season.

It soured my view of Cappy. I understood he was trying to save his job, get as many wins as possible, even if the team was out of the playoff race, but I wanted to see the isles building Nino's confidence, giving him something positive to take into the offseason.

Although the agent is an idiot, he seems to grasp that they have no leverage to force Snow's hands.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:56 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I'd buy the complaints about last season's treatment, if Nino hadn't expressed pride in being an NHLer last season, if he and his agent hadn't stressed in the first interview, that their displeasure was in Nino's riding the AHL buses this season, when he's leading the ST in scoring.
I am taking a guess that Nino and his agent had no problem getting a nice paycheck last year(and being 1 year closer to free agency), would they feel better if he got sent to Portland for the season?

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:10 AM
Islanderfan17

Quote:

Holy ****, why is he complaining about development? The Islanders screwed up his development in the first year, I think they'll give him that, but they have done the right thing for his development this year in sending him to the minors. I just don't get it. Turns out keeping him in the NHL last season was also a huge mistake because it seems he now has a sense of entitlement and feels he needs to be here right now.

I know this organization didn't handle things well last year, but they made up for it with the right decision this year and it sounds like Nino just needs to grow up IMO.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:12 AM
bigd

Toronto is looking to move Kessel. Can you imagine having the 2 fastest players in the league on the same line.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:23 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Toronto is looking to move Kessel. Can you imagine having the 2 fastest players in the league on the same line.

I would think they would want Nino, and a ******** more, since they got killed in the original trade to get Kessel (I'm guessing Nino, 2013 1st, etc). Plus, I would guess Kessel might have a no-trade clause in his contract, or may have a say where he goes. He probably does not have fond feelings for the Islanders, due to them not signing his brother out of college (just speculating on most of this). I do drool at the thought of a Moulson-Tavares-Kessel line. All that being said, I rather keep Nino and whatever else we'd have to send to Toronto for Kessel.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:27 AM
leeroggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Me too, I don't see scoring Centers as a weakness in the organization (besides Col is much more likely to deal O'Reilly).

I would much prefer to set our sites on a #1 Dman. Something I'm not sure this organization has, even for the most optimistic fan.
What do you define as a true #1 defenseman? How many teams have one currently? Certainly not every team according to the standards that some on this board believe you have to have to be one.

The Devils went to the final last year, arguably without a true #2 D-man, never mind a #1.

LA won the Cup last year; did Doughty play like a #1 last year?

I doubt there are 30 #1's in the entire league yet we are supposed to be able to package Nino with some other assets and get one??

People, get real. #1's aren't so easy to find. Just in 2008 we had:

1 2 Los Angeles Drew Doughty D
1 3 Atlanta Zach Bogosian D
1 4 St. Louis Alex Pietrangelo D
1 5 Toronto Luke Schenn D

Remember? Right now Pietrangelo is the closest to the true status of a #1. It's just not that easy!!!

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:37 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Holy ****, why is he complaining about development? The Islanders screwed up his development in the first year, I think they'll give him that, but they have done the right thing for his development this year in sending him to the minors. I just don't get it. Turns out keeping him in the NHL last season was also a huge mistake because it seems he now has a sense of entitlement and feels he needs to be here right now.

I know this organization didn't handle things well last year, but they made up for it with the right decision this year and it sounds like Nino just needs to grow up IMO.
agent who's causing problems where there are no problems. He should have complained LAST YEAR but maybe the commissions were too high. Nice problem to have.

Nino, I know you read these boards. Your agent is giving you bad advice. The Islanders have not really done a bad job with player development, either from players who have been brought in (like Moulson, Grabner) or drafted (Nielsen, Hamonic, MacDonald, Bailey, Okposo, Ullstrom, Martin, Cizikas, Strome, Kabanov, Nelson and NINO!). They gave players like Comeau, Schremp, Tambi time to show what they can do as well.

Fans (like me) are angry, jaded, negative but the focus is NOT as much on player development as much as investing in the team around the players. Like cheating the cap floor (of which YOU were a part of last year) and not bringing in vet players to help the team.

You might say Bailey was thrown to the wolves, and he WAS. But he's an NHL player today and will probably be one for a long time. I don't like the way Matt Martin was handled but he's an NHLer. Kabanov was handled marvelously since his troubled past and he's looking better and better.

The grass is not always greener.

All teams have problems with players, young and old, etc. Brett Connolly is also in the minors this year. Jake Gardiner was just sent down.

Keep scoring goals, playing hard. If you earn a shot with the Isles you'll be on a team that's going to be a great team. Being a winger to Strome or Tavares or Nielsen or Nelson, one day SOON, is a nice place for a 5th overall.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:38 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post

Kessel will be a ufa in 1 and 1/2 seasons.

Kessel on a team friendly, long term contract scoring 35-40 goals a season, would be a welcome addition. Kessel asking for $7m-$8m per in 2014, is something else all together.

Last edited by CREW99AW: 01-31-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old
01-31-2013, 09:43 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I would think they would want Nino, and a ******** more, since they got killed in the original trade to get Kessel (I'm guessing Nino, 2013 1st, etc). Plus, I would guess Kessel might have a no-trade clause in his contract, or may have a say where he goes. He probably does not have fond feelings for the Islanders, due to them not signing his brother out of college (just speculating on most of this). I do drool at the thought of a Moulson-Tavares-Kessel line. All that being said, I rather keep Nino and whatever else we'd have to send to Toronto for Kessel.
Leaf fans seem to think they can undo the Kessel/Seguin/Hamilton/Knight trade, by finding a team willing to overpay for Kessel.

One of their latest suggestions: Kessel for Hamonic/Grabner/Nino.
Total fantasy that ignores that Grabner's outproducing and outplaying Kessel, at less then half the salary. I honestly question whether Snow wth his budget, would trade Grabner alone for Kessel.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:03 AM
Beastrt

Phil Kessel will never be an islander not because of his skill, but because of his attitude. Why would the islanders trade one problem for another?

Beastrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:10 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastrt View Post
Phil Kessel will never be an islander not because of his skill, but because of his attitude. Why would the islanders trade one problem for another?
He doesn't have a bad attitude at all. He's just not a leader and he hates media and attention. Toronto's the worst place for Kessel.

He can play though. He's alone on the Leafs, far more talented than anyone around him. Larger disparity than even JT faces (and JT's gap is also gynormous)

Old
01-31-2013, 10:17 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
He doesn't have a bad attitude at all. He's just not a leader and he hates media and attention. Toronto's the worst place for Kessel.

He can play though. He's alone on the Leafs, far more talented than anyone around him. Larger disparity than even JT faces (and JT's gap is also gynormous)
I'm not worried about his attitude or being shy.

I question whether you give someone with holes in their game( weak defensively and avoids physical play), the $7m per season, that Kessel is sure to be seeking.

For $7m, I want a beast. Someone with snarl, who will swagger into MSG or into Philly and kick azz.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:20 AM
Dan-o16

The problem with a Kessel deal is that they couldn't play Kessel with Moulson and JT - that line would become totally unable to win battles. You'd need someone like Nino on that line.

The other thing is that I don't think Toronto would do that. They would, and should, ask for Strome first. They need centers.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:21 AM
ferrisUML

This whole ordeal has completely soured me on Nino to the point where, at some point this year, Garth should trade him. Perhaps at the deadline for a solid return if we're in the thick of it.

It all comes down to character for me and this shows exactly what Nino's is. Things don't go your way, have your agent whine about it to the media or at the very least go along with it...tells me a lot about how this guy will handle adversity going forward.

ferrisUML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:26 AM
Veteran journeyman

Someone should sit Nino down and show him his first five games in Bridgeport this year and then his last five games (well, maybe not the shutout from a few nights ago...). Then ask him if he thinks time in the AHL is really hurting his development. He's put up points throughout the season, but the type of player he's turned into since just the beginning of the season...it's very noticeable. He's not just a front-of-the-net player anymore. He's becoming dangerous all over the ice, and it's all due to being in the perfect place for him to develop his game right now. Time's on his side.

I really like Nino as a player. Unfortunately though, if it's going to be a drama fest with him and his agent...making periodic destructive statements and running out the clock with short term deals until he can bolt at the first opportunity, then maybe it's not a bad idea to move him for the right offer...on Garth's timetable and not Nino's agent's timetable, of course. I'd hate to see him go, though. Think he's going to be a really good player in a couple of seasons.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:34 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisUML View Post
This whole ordeal has completely soured me on Nino to the point where, at some point this year, Garth should trade him. Perhaps at the deadline for a solid return if we're in the thick of it.

It all comes down to character for me and this shows exactly what Nino's is. Things don't go your way, have your agent whine about it to the media or at the very least go along with it...tells me a lot about how this guy will handle adversity going forward.
I'm starting to think this as well. But will continue to give Nino the benefit of the doubt...it's getting harder to do so.

Curious to see what happens the rest of the season and off-season. Also, with McDonald out, I'm wondering whether they call anyone up or play Boulton. I'd have given Nino a game or two, but now, with the whining, Snow won't do it out of principle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
The problem with a Kessel deal is that they couldn't play Kessel with Moulson and JT - that line would become totally unable to win battles. You'd need someone like Nino on that line.
Which is why I kinda HATE the idea of Boyes on that line, especially 5on5, but I do think there would be chemistry there. With that said, I happen to think the best winger for JT might be Matt Martin, today. Tomorrow, maybe Nino, MacKinnon, Nelson.

We worry about JT's wing so much but it's completely unnecessary. That line will always be good. The other lines need to be good and they are this year (so far) and that's why we're winning games. Very simple.

Pitts sucks because outside Sid/Geno, they are pretty awful. If those guys don't take over a game, they lose. Fact is, they are so damn good, they usually play well enough to carry the team to a win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I'm not worried about his attitude or being shy.

I question whether you give someone with holes in their game( weak defensively and avoids physical play), the $7m per season, that Kessel is sure to be seeking.

For $7m, I want a beast. Someone with snarl, who will swagger into MSG or into Philly and kick azz.
whoa. $7MM is a lot of money....I don't think Kessel's a $7MM player either. I never heard that he'd be looking for that much money. Nobody on this team should make anything more than JT. If we add a player with a huge contract, like Luongo or Lecavalier (two examples that would never happen) then that's different. But I can't imagine a scenario where we play Kessel $7MM, UFA or otherwise.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:45 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

We are STACKED with good prospects both at forward and defense. There are about 10 real good defensive prospects I could name and the list of forwards is long as well.

Because of this, if we were to trade Nino or make any other moves, what we need is a TRUE 1st pairing defenseman. Doesn't have to be a #1 franchise D-man, because as many have said, those guys are almost impossible to find if you don't get lucky drafting one. But a defenseman that is of true first pairing talent would be great.
Either that type of D-man or a true 1st pairing winger to play with Tavares. Someone that can hang with Tavares. We don't need a second line center or 2nd/3rd line winger.

Our system is so deep, we need quality from any trade, not quantity.

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:46 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Let's push Phoenix for Yandle or Oliver Ekman-Larsson....

Nino and this year's first rounder to start.

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:53 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post

whoa. $7MM is a lot of money....I don't think Kessel's a $7MM player either. I never heard that he'd be looking for that much money. Nobody on this team should make anything more than JT. If we add a player with a huge contract, like Luongo or Lecavalier (two examples that would never happen) then that's different. But I can't imagine a scenario where we play Kessel $7MM, UFA or otherwise.
Kessel makes $5.4m now and is a ufa in 2014. The Toronto media is saying, he's expected to ask for $7m-$8m per on his next deal. That's why Leaf fans and the Toronto press are debating, what type of salary he should get on his next deal and what type of return would the Leafs get, if they moved him.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:59 AM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisUML View Post

I could not disagree more. A good GM never let's and agent or player dictate demands, sets are real bad precedent. Not that I am comparing Snow to either of these guy's but do you think Lamoriello or Torrey would take crap from a player or agent? Yah I do't think so, so neither should Snow. Nino is still a BIG part of the future here with the Islanders. Let's remember he is 20 and this could all go away in a year. I still expect to see him skating a few games with the team this year but if he does not and plays at the Bridge and in the playoffs at the Bridge I will be OK with that.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:29 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

What do you always hear for a solid player in trade? A good player, a good prospect, and a good pick.

Okposo, Nino, and this year's first though I would rather it was next year's first.

That for the companion defenseman to play alongside Hamonic and our blue line becomes something dangerous for a long long time. It is a big slice to give up though, but the Rags gave up similar for Nash so...

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:44 AM
doublechili

vCash: 600
What's the agent's excuse for Nino's meh WHL season in 2010-11? Or his even more meh WJC that year? Holy sense of entitlement, Batman. And when representing a very young player trying to prove his maturity and readiness for the big time, it's a really smart strategy to operate in an immature and petulent manner.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote