HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lehner Back Down to Bingo

Old
01-26-2013, 12:32 PM
SenzZen
Up Late With McBain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post

uhhhh, you just contradicted yourself there buddy, get a clue indeed
No, I didn't. It's the reality of the situation. Lehner won't get enough reps playing behind Anderson- who will be starting as many games a he can. Bishop needs to be better in the backup role, but Lehner needs to play as much as he can, too.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:48 PM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
No, I didn't. It's the reality of the situation. Lehner won't get enough reps playing behind Anderson- who will be starting as many games a he can. Bishop needs to be better in the backup role, but Lehner needs to play as much as he can, too.
OK, so what do you propose we do?

Anderson has a contract for the next 2 seasons after this one. Does that mean Lehner stays in the AHL for those 2 years? Does Lehner come up for the 2015-16 season and be thrown in as the #1 goalie with hardly any NHL experience, and possibly no strong goalie to back him up?

Lehner should have been playing as much as he could in the AHL this year, but no, they played Bishop a lot. Why they've invested so much in him is beyond me.

At some point, there WILL be a Lehner - Anderson tandem. Why not now? May the best man win the #1 spot.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:55 PM
HSF

a backup spot for lehner is awesome not only does he get to practice with NHL shooters he can learn how to be a professional and some tricks from Andy.

Just like how Rask was with Thomas

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:16 PM
SenzZen
Up Late With McBain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
OK, so what do you propose we do?

Anderson has a contract for the next 2 seasons after this one. Does that mean Lehner stays in the AHL for those 2 years? Does Lehner come up for the 2015-16 season and be thrown in as the #1 goalie with hardly any NHL experience, and possibly no strong goalie to back him up?

Lehner should have been playing as much as he could in the AHL this year, but no, they played Bishop a lot. Why they've invested so much in him is beyond me.

At some point, there WILL be a Lehner - Anderson tandem. Why not now? May the best man win the #1 spot.
OK. Does Halak-Price ring a bell? Is that something you think management should invite to join the team this season? And risk pissing Anderson off like Colorado did?

Lehner is the future. Anderson is playing amazing right now, though- and yes is under contract for 2 years after this one. Something many fans were upset about at the time of his signing- "too many years, blah, blah, blah"... I'm sure the extra year that some fans gripe about had a part in swaying him to sign here without a NMC/NTC. And kudos to Murray, because if it's undeniable that Lehner's time has come, we can move Anderson for some good assets.

Bishop played in 13 games for Bingo while Lehner played in 22- not at all disproportionate when you consider the schedule in the AHL having lots of back-to-backs and 3-in-4s.

Lose Bishop on waivers by sending him down is terrible asset management.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:30 PM
MAK19

Quote:
OK. Does Halak-Price ring a bell? Is that something you think management should invite to join the team this season? And risk pissing Anderson off like Colorado did?
?

Price-Halak turned out pretty well for Montreal... They got a trip to the Top 4 because they played the hottest of the 2 #1 goalies, and now they have the best young goalie in the game as a franchise cornerstone. Don't know why you referred to that.

Risk pissing off Anderson? If Anderson wants to play, he should need to play better than Lehner. Pretty simple and not an unreasonable demand. And he'll still get his money whether he plays or not. I don't think Anderson is as big a baby as you make him out to be.

Quote:
Lehner is the future. Anderson is playing amazing right now, though- and yes is under contract for 2 years after this one. Something many fans were upset about at the time of his signing- "too many years, blah, blah, blah"... I'm sure the extra year that some fans gripe about had a part in swaying him to sign here without a NMC/NTC. And kudos to Murray, because if it's undeniable that Lehner's time has come, we can move Anderson for some good assets.
sure

not so sure about the contract part, but okay

Quote:
Bishop played in 13 games for Bingo while Lehner played in 22- not at all disproportionate when you consider the schedule in the AHL having lots of back-to-backs and 3-in-4s.

Lose Bishop on waivers by sending him down is terrible asset management.
And I never said Bishop should be put on waivers. I think he should have been traded prior to the season starting, even if it's just for a 3rd round pick (I don't think he should have been acquired in the first place).

Anyway, you still didn't answer my question. How would you go about settling Lehner into the #1 role?

Pretty much every young goalie starts as a backup and play themselves into the #1 slot. But you seem unwilling to do this with Lehner? Why? And what's your alternative solution?

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:27 PM
SenzZen
Up Late With McBain

In short(ish), there's no rush on bringing Lehner up, and Anderson is playing fantastic hockey right now. We have 2 more years for Andy to fall apart, or keep playing great. Andy is one of the few goalies that spent a large amount of his career in the back-up role. Colorado named him starter, then made him play for his job- their loss, our gain. He wanted out of Colorado because of the way they treated him, and we should let him run with the ball as long as he's playing so well. If/when he falters, bring Lehner in to put the heat on him.

Montreal could have got more for Halak if everyone in hockey didn't know that he had to be moved.

You didn't say put Bishop on waivers, but you want an Anderson/Lehner tandem. I read between the lines. Not sure why you think he could have landed a 2nd or 3rd rounder besides reading posts on HF. His acquisition probably secured us a playoff spot last year, though, so I can't see how you'd bash it.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:33 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

Lehner, All Star Game audio:

http://www.pppshow.net/interviews/sn...ar/RL12713.mp3

Edit;Courtesy of Bob Howard

Lehner feeling awkward vs fierce rivalry Syracuse's Panik, Barberio signing autograph's..

Last edited by Ski: 08-24-2014 at 03:00 AM.
Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:53 PM
18Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski View Post
Lehner, All Star Game audio:

http://www.pppshow.net/interviews/sn...ar/RL12713.mp3

Edit;Courtesy of Bob Howard
Lol the reporter said that the B-Sens had a good defensive system.

18Hossa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:58 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
I havnt seen Binghampton play this years but his stats looks spectacular.. especially considering he receives 40+ shots more often than not.

Has he been that good or is the stats not telling everything?

vippe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:59 AM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
I havnt seen Binghampton play this years but his stats looks spectacular.. especially considering he receives 40+ shots more often than not.

Has he been that good or is the stats not telling everything?
He's been better than his stats. He's stole a ton of games for Bingo.

Dysentery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Peter The Great

Will Lehner get traded, what do you think?

Craig Anderson playing like a stud, a star, being 31 years old, his best years probably ahead of him.

Craig Anderson is a highly skilled and experienced goalie.

Four reasons for a trade:

- Lehner won't do another season in the AHL, I highly doubt it.

- Is Lehner willing to accept only a handful of possible NHL starts next season, I doubt it.

- Lehner is a top prospect a bit too good for being a backup goalie.

- Lehner having good value in a possible trade.

Perhaps the Flyers is looking for a new Hextall? ;-)

Even though I'm a Swede I'm not upset or anything, I guess we all are a little bit surprised about such a great goalie Craig Anderson has become though.

21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:38 AM
Kush

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post
Will Lehner get traded, what do you think?

Craig Anderson playing like a stud, a star, being 31 years old, his best years probably ahead of him.

Craig Anderson is a highly skilled and experienced goalie.

Four reasons for a trade:

- Lehner won't do another season in the AHL, I highly doubt it.

- Is Lehner willing to accept only a handful of possible NHL starts next season, I doubt it.

- Lehner is a top prospect a bit too good for being a backup goalie.

- Lehner having good value in a possible trade.

Perhaps the Flyers is looking for a new Hextall? ;-)

Even though I'm a Swede I'm not upset or anything, I guess we all are a little bit surprised about such a great goalie Craig Anderson has become though.
This franchise could have won cupS in the 90's if it wasn't for terrible goaltending. No way do we trade our top prospect. No way.

Kush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:43 AM
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kush View Post
This franchise could have won cupS in the 90's if it wasn't for terrible goaltending. No way do we trade our top prospect. No way.
I think you mean early 2000's. There's plenty of time to evaluate the goaltending situation, definitely no need to even think about trading Lehner anytime soon.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Peter The Great

It's not that crazy. It also depends on what Lehner and his agent thinks about the situation?

Speculation/generalization/what I'm trying to say:

Imagining you are a young top prospect goalie in a team with a goalie like Lundqvist, Quick, Rask etc. Having a top career in both your home country and AHL behind you.

You are fully aware of that best case, most likely, you will become a backup goalie, looking 10 years ahead.

How would that feel? Perhaps not the career you were dreaming of, not being able to show your potential?

Craig Anderson is looking really, really good and stable, he has matured.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:56 AM
wilfred

I certainly don't think that Lehner has the value to other teams as he does with Ottawa. It would take a really good young player to get Lehner out of Ottawa, I dont think any team would give that up.

wilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:57 AM
Kush

Quote:
It's not that crazy. It also depends on what Lehner and his agent thinks about the situation?

Imagining you are a young top prospect goalie in a team with goalies like Lundqvist, Quick, Rask etc.

You are fully aware of that best case, you will become a backup goalie, looking 10 years ahead.

How would that feel? Perhaps not the career you were dreaming of, not being able to show your potential?

I remember rumours back in the day of a Havlat to NYR for their goalie prospect, this Lundquist (sp?) kid. Now imagine if that had gone through....

Kush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Peter The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
I certainly don't think that Lehner has the value to other teams as he does with Ottawa. It would take a really good young player to get Lehner out of Ottawa, I dont think any team would give that up.
Really, you don't think so? May I ask you why? ;-)

Old
01-30-2013, 11:06 AM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

Quote:
Really, you don't think so? May I ask you why? ;-)
Put simply, Lehner IS our goaltending depth. Sure, we have Bishop, but Lehner's been groomed as the heir apparent since day one. No other team needs him as badly as we do.

01-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Peter The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
Put simply, Lehner IS our goaltending depth. Sure, we have Bishop, but Lehner's been groomed as the heir apparent since day one. No other team needs him as badly as we do.
What's your guess about the future?

You think Lehner will settle as Ottawa's backup goalie starting next season?

Another season in AHL is not very likely?

Having two good goalies is not a problem if both feel comfortable with the situation.

As long as Craig continues to play like a top 5 goalie he will be number 1, that's for sure.

Like the Thomas/Rask tandem.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:15 AM
umma gumma

Quote:

Imagining you are a young top prospect goalie in a team with a goalie like Lundqvist, Quick, Rask etc. Having a top career in both your home country and AHL behind you.

You are fully aware of that best case, most likely, you will become a backup goalie, looking 10 years ahead.

If all goes to plan Lehner will back up Anderson for two years before assuming the starter's role when Andy's conract is up. Lehner still has plenty of developing to do still.

umma gumma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Proust

Quote:
Craig Anderson has a reputation as an extremely hot and cold goalie. This year, he will really have to have a consistently good year to make people forget about the Colorado/Florida Craig Anderson.

That said, there is a 0% chance that Ottawa will trade Lehner. This is a team that has not had success at developing goalies, and outside of maybe Ray Emery, Lehner is the greatest goaltending propect in the history of this organization.

If Lehner continues having the season he's having, I am sure he will not accept playing in the AHL next year, and I don't blame him. However, I highly, highly doubt the Sens would even think about NOT having him as a full-time member of the roster next season, even if it is in a back-up role. My feeling is that this is a role Lehner would accept. Full-time NHL back-up is a large promotion from AHL starting goalie.

The Sens will not trade Lehner or Anderson until they are absolutely forced to. On the other hand, Bishop will not be a Senator come next season.

Proust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:17 AM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

Quote:

Having two good goalies is not a problem if both feel comfortable with the situation.

As long as Craig continues to play like a top 5 goalie he will be number 1, that's for sure.

Absolutely. I see Bishop being traded by season's end (or maybe just switching spots with Lehner; that's an option) and Lehner taking the backup job for two years, maybe alternating starts late in year two. Two years ago, I wouldn't have been sure both goalies would be okay with it, but Lehner's come far in his maturity. I think he could handle it.

hockeyalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:18 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:

This is the plan.

01-30-2013, 11:19 AM
mianjo

Lehner named CCM/AHL Player of the Week

http://theahl.com/lehner-named-ccm-a...e-week-p181597

mianjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Peter The Great