HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#2 Devils vs Flyers: Can We Get An Encore II

Old
01-22-2013, 11:32 PM
apice3*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Giroux is a terrific player, but he was an awful choice for captain.
I think they went with him using the logic that he's the best player, the future, and will have a long tenure there. Kind of like what some people wanted here with Kovalchuk.

I know it's only been 3 games but I feel like he's trying way too hard to justify the captaincy and needs to just play.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:34 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I think they went with him using the logic that he's the best player, the future, and will have a long tenure there. Kind of like what some people wanted here with Kovalchuk.

I know it's only been 3 games but I feel like he's trying way too hard to justify the captaincy and needs to just play.
Good captains don't need to justify their captaincy. They keep doing what they were doing before.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:37 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

That Lou and Lenaire shot is priceless, really does look like something out of the godfather.

Definitely not the best played game, but there were some really good sparks and you can see the potential in this team. PK looked really solid, a goose egg is a goose egg despite how bad Zids played. Kids created some really good chances, top line and Clarkie are still scoring goals (even if some were wacky) and Marty looks REALLY great.

I am really excited to get Henrique back in this line up. Think it will make a world of difference. Matteau, man it is going to take every game to decide what to do with him. After two games he is really looking like he belongs with the big club, and if he plays like this for his entire trial I just don't see why you would send him back down. Burns a year off, but who cares if it helps us win games, maybe have another shot at the cup, plus frees Lou's hands on when he makes his trade, and what he goes shopping for (maybe draft picks and a third line forward instead of trading picks and prospects to bring in a top 6).

Honestly if the kids keep playing like they are the goals will come, Yayo, Matteau and even Tedy have looked good. If they can keep it up, add Henrique back in and I am not to worried especially with a solid D core behind them and the ageless one in net.

We HAVE to get this PP going though, we need to be able to cash in with our chances there more. Hopefully that too will come in time.

Also in a short season can not understate how big it is to start off 2-0 and send a big division rival to 0-3. Every point is going to matter.

Emperoreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:40 PM
apice3*

If we send Matteau back to juniors, can we bring him back up later in the year? Or to Albany?

Old
01-22-2013, 11:42 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
If we send Matteau back to juniors, can we bring him back up later in the year? Or to Albany?
Albany no. He's not old enough. We could send him back down to juniors, but we'd have burnt a year of his contract (I believe).

Not sure Lou cares about that though.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:43 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Quote:
Giroux is a terrific player, but he was an awful choice for captain.
I completely agree. But looking at that roster, who else do you give it to? It's like a competition for the biggest dbag. Maybe Kimmo? But he doesn't seem like the most vocal guy.

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:45 PM
SuperUke99

Quote:
With nino asking for a trade one has to wonder how long it will be until Larsson asks for one? Guy is getting the raw deal in the start of the season same as he did in the playoffs last season. Way to treat a kid that signed without bonuses so he could play and fit under the cap.

SuperUke99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:46 PM
apice3*

Their team really is just a group of d-bags, and they pride themselves on it. I'm fully convinced that's why they were so willing to part with JVR. He never embraced that style of play.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:48 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Albany no. He's not old enough. We could send him back down to juniors, but we'd have burnt a year of his contract (I believe).

Not sure Lou cares about that though.
He plays 3 more games like the last two he stays here. Lou could care less about that one year when it gives him more freedom elsewhere with potential deals and a chance to win now.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:49 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
He plays 3 more games like the last two he stays here. Lou could care less about that one year when it gives him more freedom elsewhere with potential deals and a chance to win now.
I agree, but the real problem is you keep him and in 15-20 games you make a trade for a guy, or his play falls off, and you don't want to just keep him around but not play him, so you send him back to juniors having burnt a year of his contract.

But yes, I also think Lou would happily do exactly that if he decided it was best for the team at the moment.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:52 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperUke99 View Post
With nino asking for a trade one has to wonder how long it will be until Larsson asks for one? Guy is getting the raw deal in the start of the season same as he did in the playoffs last season. Way to treat a kid that signed without bonuses so he could play and fit under the cap.
Totally different situation.

Nino has been cheated out of ice time on a shallow team.

Larsson hasn't missed much ice time, and he's on a deep team.

Larsson has played in 65 of the 84 regular season games the Devils have played since joining the Devils. He missed 10 due to the Subban hit. He has played more games since October than literally every player on this roster. He's not being mishandled.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:54 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
I completely agree. But looking at that roster, who else do you give it to? It's like a competition for the biggest dbag. Maybe Kimmo? But he doesn't seem like the most vocal guy.
danny briere? only guy that really has a legitimate claim to it, really.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:54 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperUke99 View Post
He wants a roster spot? Earn it.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:56 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Zidlicky being awful tonight may have contributed to the terrible PP's.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:58 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

God was he bad...

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:59 PM
daveskirtun
:o)

vCash: 920
Props to that 40 year old fat ****. Love ya, Marty!

daveskirtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:59 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
I agree, but the real problem is you keep him and in 15-20 games you make a trade for a guy, or his play falls off, and you don't want to just keep him around but not play him, so you send him back to juniors having burnt a year of his contract.

But yes, I also think Lou would happily do exactly that if he decided it was best for the team at the moment.
The drop off in games is a risk, but one I think you take when you are getting shown this for what would be a 5 game stretch and you are really thin at the forward position. We are still going to have to bring another forward in, if for nothing else to cover up the inevitable injury or if Tedy just busts again. Plus it gives Lou more time to survey the market, wait out on other teams who may go into sell mode or lower demands to get D help fast, or maybe he finds one of his waiver recovery projects and he unloads some extra D to build up our draft picks to make up for the pick we are going to lose if Lou is happy with the team depending on where we are.

Obviously preaching to the choir, but to me if he is playing like this, a lot more upside to keeping him here then sending him back for the team now. Plus I can't see how it would hurt his development to be around talents vets like Elias who seem to have taken an interest in his development.

Same argument why Larsson needs to stay with the big club. He will gain more practicing with the big club and just being around Scott Stevens then by playing games in Albany. Not really worried about him though. I'd rather he play now, but I am sure he will be getting consistent playing time soon, whether because of a trade, injury, or just rotation.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:00 AM
Kings County KING
"$8M GOALIE MY ASS!"

Quote:
Their team really is just a group of d-bags, and they pride themselves on it. I'm fully convinced that's why they were so willing to part with JVR. He never embraced that style of play.
Isn't he from Middletown? How do we know you're not related to him?

Kings County KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:01 AM
Devil X
Next man up!

Send a message via AIM to Devil X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Zidlicky being awful tonight may have contributed to the terrible PP's.
Zid was bad tonight it was clear.

I am just speculating but maybe something is wrong with him like he is sick or hurt because he was a special kind of bad tonight.

Devil X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:03 AM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil X View Post
Zid was bad tonight it was clear.

I am just speculating but maybe something is wrong with him like he is sick or hurt because he was a special kind of bad tonight.
He didn't look hurt. I recall him taking a hit and being shaken up during the Islanders game but he was right back out there and didn't seem to bad. Might just of been one of those really off nights combined with the rust and not being in game shape.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:03 AM
DevilsTilIDie

Tonights game was awesome. Great atmosphere, everyone was intense. I do notice they changed their contract with the concessions. Aramark is doing it now.

DevilsTilIDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:04 AM
Devil X
Next man up!

Send a message via AIM to Devil X
Quote:
Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
#NHL news. 1st Shanahan supplemental discip' hearing of yr. Wed afternoon. #Flyers Brayden Schenn possibly leaving feet vs #Devils 2nd per
And no penalty!

Devil X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:05 AM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
danny briere? only guy that really has a legitimate claim to it, really.
True. But he's a licensed floater so I'm not sure if he's the best example.

Quote:
He never fully embraced it. But yes he was definitely one of their cleaner players.

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:07 AM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

One big question I got. If we keep Matteau, and then Henrique comes back, who goes down? We know they won't send Janssen down despite his two way contract. If we haven't traded a defenseman, all the forwards are healthy, and none of the defensemen are on LTIR, then who goes? They're not gonna send Tedenby down if he's playing good are they?

Even if we don't keep Matteau, then we'll probably sign Darche. Still a decision has to be made there.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:10 AM
Kings County KING
"$8M GOALIE MY ASS!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
True. But he's a licensed floater so I'm not sure if he's the best example.
Well said.

The Flyers should give it to Scott Hartnell, but since Giroux is the closest thing they have to a star player, and he's homemade, he'll keep the "C".

Kings County KING is offline   Reply With Quote