HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#2 Devils vs Flyers: Can We Get An Encore II

Old
01-23-2013, 12:10 AM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
One big question I got. If we keep Matteau, and then Henrique comes back, who goes down? We know they won't send Janssen down despite his two way contract. If we haven't traded a defenseman, all the forwards are healthy, and none of the defensemen are on LTIR, then who goes? They're not gonna send Tedenby down if he's playing good are they?

Even if we don't keep Matteau, then we'll probably sign Darche. Still a decision has to be made there.
Of course not (although I personally doubt it). You might see Barch exiled though, if he's still not made it into the lineup.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:13 AM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Of course not (although I personally doubt it). You might see Barch exiled though, if he's still not made it into the lineup.
I still think he gets bought out this Summer. It's a tradition with these 2 year contracts with these goons! I think Barch may be hurting a little bit. Just a little sore, and I also think Pete just wants to keep this winning lineup still so he's leaving in Janssen. I did figure he would have started the season with Barch in over Janssen. He preferred Boulton to Janssen last year it seemed like.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:14 AM
LikeChristmasMorning
The Pride of Newark

I thought the intro was well done.

Bringing out children's hockey teams from the shore, showing numerous town's names on the boards, the Sandy "tribute", showing last years playoff run and the key characters, etc.

Also, there had to be less than 100 Flags fans in the arena. 100, not 1000.

LikeChristmasMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:16 AM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
One big question I got. If we keep Matteau, and then Henrique comes back, who goes down? We know they won't send Janssen down despite his two way contract. If we haven't traded a defenseman, all the forwards are healthy, and none of the defensemen are on LTIR, then who goes? They're not gonna send Tedenby down if he's playing good are they?

Even if we don't keep Matteau, then we'll probably sign Darche. Still a decision has to be made there.
You never know Cam might get sent, at least until a trade gets done or someone gets hurt. I'd agree Barch might get sent into exile. What is the real timeframe with that though? Is he coming right back up once he gets the go ahead or will they have him play a game or two in Albany and work him back up to speed since he is already technically down there? Curious to see how long Lou has to make a trade just to clear the roster up for Adam's return.

Emperoreddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:26 AM
MachoDiablo

Glad to see people commenting on the small number of Philly fans who apparently made the trip. Something the Devils seemed to improve significantly last season (or maybe it's just us collectively stepping up as fans) was making sure Devils fans were buying up the tickets for the Rags/Flyers games. While I always felt like the claims of "MSG West, brah!" and all that crap were overhyped and exaggerated, it was noticeable last season how few blue or orange jerseys were visible during these rivalry games.

If that was a concerted effort by the Devils, then great job. If it was just us fans putting our collective foot down once and for all, then all the better.

MachoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:28 AM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Just watched the highlights again on NHL.com. Place definitely looked packed (if those club seats are pretty full then the building is full) and it sounded REALLY loud in there. You could really hear it during Kovy's goal, and during a few of Marty's big saves. Very glad to see and hear that. Also it definitely seemed we got our act together as the game went one, a lot more chances in the third compared to the Flyers. I much rather see that then the weak ass 3rd periods we would play last year.

Emperoreddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:29 AM
Kings County KING
"$8M GOALIE MY ASS!"

They definitely made a concerted effort during the playoffs, at least.

Kings County KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:30 AM
MartysBetterThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachoDiablo View Post
Glad to see people commenting on the small number of Philly fans who apparently made the trip. Something the Devils seemed to improve significantly last season (or maybe it's just us collectively stepping up as fans) was making sure Devils fans were buying up the tickets for the Rags/Flyers games. While I always felt like the claims of "MSG West, brah!" and all that crap were overhyped and exaggerated, it was noticeable last season how few blue or orange jerseys were visible during these rivalry games.

If that was a concerted effort by the Devils, then great job. If it was just us fans putting our collective foot down once and for all, then all the better.
I imagine it is a combination of both things. Our STH base is now a good 10,000 or so strong, meaning less single tickets to be swept up by opposing fans. Secondly, the Devils are big on presales and email lists these days. They have the data and ability to target known Devils fans through tracking sale history. So our fanbase is better and our team is better at targeting it.

MartysBetterThanYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:33 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartysBetterThanYou View Post
I imagine it is a combination of both things. Our STH base is now a good 10,000 or so strong, meaning less single tickets to be swept up by opposing fans. Secondly, the Devils are big on presales and email lists these days. They have the data and ability to target known Devils fans through tracking sale history. So our fanbase is better and our team is better at targeting it.
With 2,000 more STH this year, I'd imagine/hope the STH base is now around 11,000. I think we were around 10k last year.

Our fanbase isn't there yet but the masses of Devils fans are approaching. The large majority of fans (as a result of our cups) are just now hitting the age of disposable income (18-25).

I think we'll start selling out routinely in about five years if the team is semi-competitive.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:33 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

The place sounded dead on NBC-SN's broadcast, but having been there a few times with less packed crowds, I figured it was pretty noisy.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:42 AM
dk3790

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarce View Post
what do you guys think Matteau's chances of sticking are? thought he was really impressive tonight
In my opinion, if we were satisfied with him staying as a 3rd line winger, he's good enough right now. However I'd like him to be at least a 2nd line winger with offensive skills and his offensive skills don't seem to be quite there yet. He has impressed for an 18 yr old though.

edit: this is my thoughts if we had to decide right now. There's a couple games left to decide so maybe we'll know better then.

dk3790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:43 AM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk3790 View Post
In my opinion, if we were satisfied with him staying as a 3rd line winger, he's good enough right now. However I'd like him to be at least a 2nd line winger with offensive skills and his offensive skills don't seem to be quite there yet. He has impressed for an 18 yr old though.
That's what you want him to be now or in the future?

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:43 AM
NjDevsRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
The place sounded dead on NBC-SN's broadcast, but having been there a few times with less packed crowds, I figured it was pretty noisy.
At times it felt like the playoffs, it was a great crowd! Lots of Flyer sucks chants and a minimal amount of Flyer fans there. All in all an awesome night!

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:44 AM
dk3790

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Hope MSG.com has the opening night roster rollout online
I missed this, anyone have it?

Old
01-23-2013, 12:45 AM
dk3790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
That's what you want him to be now or in the future?
In the future.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:58 AM
MartysBetterThanYou

I see Matteau as the new Clarkson: Power-forward with an upbeat tempo who hits, fights, and always manages to find a way to score, despite not being the most technical player. Good hockey instincts make up for an average shot and speed.

MartysBetterThanYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:02 AM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

a perfect night at the Rock

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:03 AM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

It's gotta be a shot of confidence for Marty to get a shutout in his second start of the season. Marty hasn't gotten a shutout in the second game of a season for years. He did open with that shutout against the Canes in the first game of the season in 06/07.

Last year he didn't get his first shutout until start number 35.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:05 AM
Scottyk9
Stuck in purgatory.

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartysBetterThanYou View Post
I see Matteau as the new Clarkson: Power-forward with an upbeat tempo who hits, fights, and always manages to find a way to score, despite not being the most technical player. Good hockey instincts make up for an average shot and speed.
Matteau's release by many on the team is viewed as pretty damn good. His skating is his weakest asset but he seems like a smart kid.

He's going to be a good one.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:11 AM
Cheddabombs
Status Quo

Not the best game I've seen from the Devils but they got the W and I'm happy with that. I didn't notice Matteau much in the 1st but then he really picked it up after that, specifically the 2nd. Although he doesn't look out of place, I'd want Matteau to be sent down after 5 games just for his own development. By the time the 5 games is over, Henrique should be back or at least within 1-2 games of returning (I think TG quoted Lou saying he was 7-10 days away from returning, no?). If he beat the **** out of Voracek when that crowd was drawn from the Clarkson hit, I would've suggested he stayed up for the full the season

Cheddabombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:14 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 566
**** yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bgav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:20 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
**** yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thank you. you've still got it.

manilaNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:21 AM
Parise9Crosby87

i wish we scored on the powerplay more

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:22 AM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
**** yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Our Canucks friend! Might have to make an appearance on your board to send some luck your way!

Am I the only one who thought Kovy's penalty shot was a borderline call? I really was surprised it was a penalty shot. I thought it was just gonna be a penalty.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:23 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
thank you. you've still got it.
hahah yessir

Quote:
Our Canucks friend! Might have to make an appearance on your board to send some luck your way!

Am I the only one who thought Kovy's penalty shot was a borderline call? I really was surprised it was a penalty shot. I thought it was just gonna be a penalty.
Please come by we need all the help possible

Bgav is online now   Reply With Quote