HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#2 Devils vs Flyers: Can We Get An Encore II

Old
01-23-2013, 01:28 AM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post

Please come by we need all the help possible
As long as you guys don't mind me there! I made fun of Luu a little bit on the main board, and I think some Canucks fans got mad at me!

And yes we need a better PP. To be fair Zidlicky being as terrible as he was in this game I think messed things up a little bit. I didn't think he looked that great against the Islanders either.

Josefson looked good when he played with Patty, and Clarkie. He got killed in the faceoff circle going 3-9 I think. We didn't get killed too bad on faceoffs. Only 29-26.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:30 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

The team was definitely out of sync with each other. Slow to loose pucks, not getting their passes off, and so on.

Exceptions: Marty was spectacular, Matteau & Josefson continue to impress the hell out of me and Kovy continues to do things with the puck that are out of this world.

Anyway... the good thing is, despite not playing that well, they came out with a win.
And the better thing is, they're fully aware of the fact that they did not play well.
And and the best thing is, they've got 2 full days to work on it.

Short training camp, new assistant coaches, new line combos, key players missing from each skate/practice so far - it'll take another 2 or 3 games, but this Devils team will start to roll.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:35 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
As long as you guys don't mind me there! I made fun of Luu a little bit on the main board, and I think some Canucks fans got mad at me!

And yes we need a better PP. To be fair Zidlicky being as terrible as he was in this game I think messed things up a little bit. I didn't think he looked that great against the Islanders either.

Josefson looked good when he played with Patty, and Clarkie. He got killed in the faceoff circle going 3-9 I think. We didn't get killed too bad on faceoffs. Only 29-26.
hahah i better see you on the nucks board soon! Zids should sit one game for larsson imo

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:40 AM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

Quote:
hahah i better see you on the nucks board soon! Zids should sit one game for larsson imo
Alright I'll make an appearance tomorrow!

And yeah Zids was pretty bad. I think he was the one with the awful giveaway while we were on the 5 on 3. They were getting dangerously close to a big scoring chance when we were on a 5 on 3. It got a little scary there. I think he's just got something bothering him. Maybe he's sick, or has something minor ailing him. He hasn't been Volchenkov in the Florida series bad yet at least.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:40 AM
Volchenkovs Face

Thank goodness Rinaldo is on IR and not able to "stir the pot". Those ****ing scum/bags named the Flyers.

Volchenkovs Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:41 AM
manilaNJ

Quote:
Zids should sit one game for larsson imo
Every Devils fan in attendance tonight agrees with you.
And browsing through this GDT, I think this is a universal opinion.

Who knows what the coaches will do though.. if the next game was tomorrow, I'd say that would be the case. But with no game until Friday, I can't even make an educated guess as to what they'll decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkovs Face View Post
Thank goodness Rinaldo is on IR and not able to "stir the pot". Those ****ing scum/bags named the Flyers.
Considering how this game went, I wouldn't have been surprised if he murdered someone right there on the ice.
I don't wish injury on anybody... but it couldn't have been a more appropriate time to keep his "energizing play" sidelined.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:43 AM
Emperoreddy
Captain Baldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
The team was definitely out of sync with each other. Slow to loose pucks, not getting their passes off, and so on.

Exceptions: Marty was spectacular, Matteau & Josefson continue to impress the hell out of me and Kovy continues to do things with the puck that are out of this world.

Anyway... the good thing is, despite not playing that well, they came out with a win.
And the better thing is, they're fully aware of the fact that they did not play well.
And and the best thing is, they've got 2 full days to work on it.

Short training camp, new assistant coaches, new line combos, key players missing from each skate/practice so far - it'll take another 2 or 3 games, but this Devils team will start to roll.
I agree, and I think we have to get used to sloppy hockey for a few more weeks, from just about every team too barring a few. I see a lot of potential here if the coaches get all the gears greased, and Lou makes the right tweaks.

Emperoreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:44 AM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

I would say the chances of him sitting are not good unless he has something really bothering him. I keep thinking of Volchenkov in the Florida series (Who was much worse than Zids has been) and him still being in the lineup. I think Volch seriously had something wrong with him then that he was playing through. I'm not sure whatever he had was brought to attention, and if it was it couldn't have been too bad if they let him play.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:51 AM
manilaNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
I agree.
As per usual, on the same page. Need a little more optimism around here

Quote:
I would say the chances of him sitting are not good unless he has something really bothering him. I keep thinking of Volchenkov in the Florida series (Who was much worse than Zids has been) and him still being in the lineup. I think Volch seriously had something wrong with him then that he was playing through. I'm not sure whatever he had was brought to attention, and if it was it couldn't have been too bad if they let him play.
There's a huge difference between keeping Volch in then and potentially taking Zid out now.

Despite how satisfying those OT goals were, and racking up another SO for Marty... it was by no means an easy series to win. Pulling out a proven vet for a rookie (who was getting similarly coned in the regular season) when the playoffs are on the line... that would have been a questionable move.

Right now...the season's just begun, there's a glut of defensemen to work with and it's time to put the feelers out and change things up every now and then. Despite there only being 48 games, there's still time to tinker around and figure out what works.

Unlike the playoffs.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:56 AM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

I'm still not sure I see him leaving the lineup though we have the depth where he doesn't need to be in the lineup. If we see that he's having a ''Maintenance'' day during practice that's the cue that he might be out Friday!

Old
01-23-2013, 01:59 AM
manilaNJ

Like I said though, with 2 full days in between games, I have no idea what they'll choose.

I won't be surprised either way.

Old
01-23-2013, 02:05 AM
kiwidevil

Half the reason we didn't look that sharp the first 2 periods is because of all the penalties. And I am sure in a lot of games the first 3 penalties against us don't get called. Hartnell embellishes the first one, Zids stick didn't even hit him.

Just watched the first 2 periods after watching the 3rd live. Tedenby was solid as hell and that penalty was barely anything just a reaction that turned into an accidental trip. He was the deepest man back a lot helping the D, working hard battling for pucks while setting up two golden chances for Elias and Fayne. I don't mind Pete shortening the bench for the 3rd though.

Matteau's shot from JJ's set up was really nice. Nice, quick hands. Bryz made an amazing save.

Also that first 5 on 3 was really good once we set up. Had 3-4 really A1 chances, just didn't get the bounce.

Oh and I love Gio smashing Giroux at the end of the second.

kiwidevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:07 AM
DevilChuk*

I really liked Josefson with Elias and Clarkson. Lots of scoring opportunities generated by that trio. Can't really keep that line together and roll four lines because it would leave Matteau, Tedenby and Janssen on a line together = nightmare.

There's really no way to arrange the lineup (even with Henrique back) and keep that line together full time.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:09 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

Quote:
Alright I'll make an appearance tomorrow!
See you there!
Quote:
Every Devils fan in attendance tonight agrees with you.
And browsing through this GDT, I think this is a universal opinion.

Who knows what the coaches will do though.. if the next game was tomorrow, I'd say that would be the case. But with no game until Friday, I can't even make an educated guess as to what they'll decide.
Larrson is an unreal talent, once he gets in the line up hes not coming back out. With Volchenkov and Zids struggling he'll get his chance soon. Once he gets his chance though, hes gonna play lights out

Old
01-23-2013, 02:14 AM
manilaNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Half the reason we didn't look that sharp the first 2 periods is because of all the penalties. And I am sure in a lot of games the first 3 penalties against us don't get called. Hartnell embellishes the first one, Zids stick didn't even hit him.

Just watched the first 2 periods after watching the 3rd live. Tedenby was solid as hell and that penalty was barely anything just a reaction that turned into an accidental trip. He was the deepest man back a lot helping the D, working hard battling for pucks while setting up two golden chances for Elias and Fayne. I don't mind Pete shortening the bench for the 3rd though.

Matteau's shot from JJ's set up was really nice. Nice, quick hands. Bryz made an amazing save.

Also that first 5 on 3 was really good once we set up. Had 3-4 really A1 chances, just didn't get the bounce.
Agree with pretty much all of this. When your best players are your PKers, it's hard to get the lines back into routine after having to kill off nearly half the game.

And with the way this game got in the 3rd period, I wouldn't want a small forward who has previously been prone to getting thrown around, without the added brouhaha, out there. Not that I don't think he doesn't have a lot of DeBoer's trust to gain... I just think it was overall a better decision to not have Tedenby out there.

All in all, it's great that they're motivated to get out there and play better.
Credit to the Flyers as well for trying to come out guns blazing in the first... they wanted the W.

...and then they wanted a circus.

Quote:
Larrson is an unreal talent, once he gets in the line up hes not coming back out. With Volchenkov and Zids struggling he'll get his chance soon. Once he gets his chance though, hes gonna play lights out
Well, you said Zajac was going to have a big game in game 1. And he scored the opening goal.
You said Kovalchuk was going to have a big game and he scored a sweet penalty shot.
Perhaps I'll trust you on that.

Old
01-23-2013, 02:18 AM
DevilChuk*

Kovy is the only Devil with a goal and an assist recorded on the season so far. Zajac/Clarkson both have 2 goals and no assists and no other Devil has more than 1 assist.

Kovy has 1 goal, 2 assists on the year.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:20 AM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

I just hate how when things don't go their way they start gooning it up. You got Simmonds out there taking a shot at Marty, guys just playing dirty overall. Just like the playoffs last year. Giroux was a likeable guy until he started to fall into that mentality also. This was all without the worst one of all Rinaldo, not in the lineup tonight.

Old
01-23-2013, 02:21 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

Quote:

Well, you said Zajac was going to have a big game in game 1. And he scored the opening goal.
You said Kovalchuk was going to have a big game and he scored a sweet penalty shot.
Perhaps I'll trust you on that.
dude, i dont know what it is, im so ****ing on point with the devils

Old
01-23-2013, 02:23 AM
manilaNJ

Quote:
dude, i dont know what it is, im so ****ing on point with the devils
Everyone has their rituals and superstitions.
I've never been a superstitious girl.... but I think I might finally become one now

Old
01-23-2013, 02:23 AM
dk3790

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
I really liked Josefson with Elias and Clarkson. Lots of scoring opportunities generated by that trio. Can't really keep that line together and roll four lines because it would leave Matteau, Tedenby and Janssen on a line together = nightmare.

There's really no way to arrange the lineup (even with Henrique back) and keep that line together full time.
zubrus-zajac-kovalchuk
elias-josefson-clarkson
matteau-henrique-trade?
cbgb

or zubrus-zajac-kovalchuk
elias-josefson-tedenby
matteau-henrique-clarkson
cbgb

I have a feeling, mixed with a bit of I hope, that tedenby will be sent out for an experienced 2nd/3rd line winger to help with the playoffs. No idea what the options are though.

dk3790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:25 AM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
So, why do we think Teddy was benched? Was it that BS penalty call, or something else? I thought he looked surprisingly good tonight. Quick to loose pucks, good in the neutral zone, manufactured a chance or two out of nowhere. I was surprised not to see him at all in the third, unless Deboer still just doesn't trust him late in games.

However, I can't say I mind watching Yayo get shifts with Elias.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:26 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

Quote:
Everyone has their rituals and superstitions.
I've never been a superstitious girl.... but I think I might finally become one now
haha forget the "dude" comment! A girl being passionate and knowledgeable about hockey = awesome! haha hopefully i keep bringing the luck to devils!

Old
01-23-2013, 02:26 AM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk3790 View Post
zubrus-zajac-kovalchuk
elias-josefson-clarkson
matteau-henrique-trade?
cbgb

or zubrus-zajac-kovalchuk
elias-josefson-tedenby
matteau-henrique-clarkson
cbgb

I have a feeling, mixed with a bit of I hope, that tedenby will be sent out for an experienced 2nd/3rd line winger to help with the playoffs. No idea what the options are though.
Not sure Tedenby will fetch a 2nd/3rd line winger by himself, but with a defenseman in there it's a possibility.

How sweet would it be for the Rangers, and Flyers to meet on Thursday night with both 0-3-0 coming into the game?

Old
01-23-2013, 02:31 AM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
So, why do we think Teddy was benched? Was it that BS penalty call, or something else? I thought he looked surprisingly good tonight. Quick to loose pucks, good in the neutral zone, manufactured a chance or two out of nowhere. I was surprised not to see him at all in the third, unless Deboer still just doesn't trust him late in games.

However, I can't say I mind watching Yayo get shifts with Elias.
I'm not even sure if the penalty had so much to do with it. A lot of us have done a lot of speculating. Could be the fact that Pete wanted to keep him off the ice while trying to hold the lead against a powerful offensive team. Also to give Josefson a chance since he's the better player defensively.

I think it may have also had to do with giving Matteau some time. He played a shift or two with Patty, and Clarkie, but mostly spent time on the 3rd line with Bernier, and Gio. I think they wanna give Matteau the minutes since we only have 5 games to see if he stays or goes. I'm not even sure that Tedenby's play in this game, or the penalty factored so much into it.

Old
01-23-2013, 02:38 AM
manilaNJ

Quote:
haha forget the "dude" comment! A girl being passionate and knowledgeable about hockey = awesome! haha hopefully i keep bringing the luck to devils!
We've got several quality female hockey fanatics around these parts, and that's always a great asset to have for a fanbase

And yes, please with the luck... we're going to need it for a few more games.
Although... I think some of your powers might be better used for whatever is happening to Vancouver. Just make sure to save some for us