HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

#2 Devils vs Flyers: Can We Get An Encore II

Old
01-23-2013, 04:38 AM
TheUnseenHand
madest thou look

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
So, why do we think Teddy was benched? Was it that BS penalty call, or something else? I thought he looked surprisingly good tonight. Quick to loose pucks, good in the neutral zone, manufactured a chance or two out of nowhere. I was surprised not to see him at all in the third, unless Deboer still just doesn't trust him late in games.

However, I can't say I mind watching Yayo get shifts with Elias.
Because he is terrible defensively. Really terrible, and not getting better.

Pete tested that line on one shift, giving them a defensive zone draw. The result was Tedenby taking a penalty after Elias failing on a faceoff and the gong show that ensued. I really want Tedenby to make it. He has very good offensive instincts and battles very hard in the corners in the O zone. It's just not enough to make up for his defensive ineptness.

Larsson needs to get back in. Zids was terrible. Volch wasn't particularly good and neither was Tallinder. I'm giving them a bit of a pass because it's so early, but a few more games like that and I'll be screaming if Larsson doesn't replace one of them.

On a good note, the PK last night was surprisingly good and the other 3 D men I thought had very good games. Especially Sal.

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:08 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

I just realized I've barely noticed Greene so far this year. To me, that means he has played solidly. Nothing spectacular but no mistakes either. Fayne has made a few really nice plays, Tallinder as well. Volchenkov had a poor game in the opener and Zidlicky a terrible game last night... but Greene has just been there. Solid.

I'm very happy about that. This defense is really rounding out very nicely and that's with a future potential superstar on the bench as well. Marty has alot to do with why we've only allowed one goal in two games but the defense has a claim to that as well.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:04 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Hey congrats on the win tonight. Just saw the highlights on NHLlive and looked like a fun game to watch. But I wanted to comment on Kovy's penalty shot. Ummm, yeah... don't think I've ever seen the guy roof it on the back-hand like that. He almost never went back-hand. That was definitely a little something different. Congrats again.
He borrowed the move from Parise. Leg kick, fake forehand then backhand, that's Parise's signature move. Looks like Kovy can do it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I feel like he was a pest on the ice all game long, but I checked the box score and he only got 10 minutes of ice time.

Pretty amazing that he left a strong impression in such little time. Also very glad that he defended himself against Voracek. I mean, Voracek is no heavyweight but how many 18 year olds are ready to drop the gloves in their 2nd career game?
Many, because they are desperate to make the roster by contributing in any way they can. But he definitely looks good out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperUke99 View Post
With nino asking for a trade one has to wonder how long it will be until Larsson asks for one? Guy is getting the raw deal in the start of the season same as he did in the playoffs last season. Way to treat a kid that signed without bonuses so he could play and fit under the cap.
Nonsense. I'm sure Larsson knows what the deal is. He is not getting benched because his play is poor, he is benched because there is a logjam. The coaches haven't told him, "we'll see", they've told him he will play a big role this season once they have room. He's waiting for a trade or injury, and then he'll be in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
I agree, but the real problem is you keep him and in 15-20 games you make a trade for a guy, or his play falls off, and you don't want to just keep him around but not play him, so you send him back to juniors having burnt a year of his contract.
This is the scenario I worry about. Yes he looks great right now, but every rookie hits the wall. When he inevitably does, will we regret keeping him up? Or will the short season obviate that risk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
We've got several quality female hockey fanatics around these parts, and that's always a great asset to have for a fanbase
Not many who post as regularly as you anymore, unfortunately.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:50 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
So, Clarkson has grown on me and now it's Tedenby's turn...I'm ready to give the kid a shot! Mark this down now as the one time I'm impressed with Teddy.

cj225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:19 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

You guys beat us fair and square. Exciting game when the Flyers were actually trying. Brodeur just shut the door last night. And our defense blows too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
danny briere? only guy that really has a legitimate claim to it, really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings County KING View Post
Well said.

The Flyers should give it to Scott Hartnell, but since Giroux is the closest thing they have to a star player, and he's homemade, he'll keep the "C".
Briere was my first choice, Hartnell was second. I agree with you guys, I didn't think Giroux was captain material. I almost wish they kept Pronger as captain and kept him as an off-ice presence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil X View Post
And no penalty!
I think the fact there's even a hearing is astounding to me. I thought it was clean when I saw it. Maybe 2 minutes for charging since he left the ice before making contact. And Volchenkov wasn't even hurt, right?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:20 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashintangibles View Post
Zidlicky was awful.
nothing new there. too many penalties, seemed awfully familiar

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:21 AM
Nick0930

To be fair, that last penalty was really weak.

Nick0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:23 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
nothing new there. too many penalties, seemed awfully familiar
In a game where your defense didn't let the Flyers get anything through, I noticed that too. Zidlicky looked pretty bad last night. Especially considering there were a few defenders in orange/white to use as an example for "pretty bad." Coburn was pretty much balancing out Zidlicky in the "bad penalties" category.

Old
01-23-2013, 07:35 AM
TheUnseenHand
madest thou look

Zids really was bad. Gotta get rid of at least one of Zidlicky, Volchenkov and Tallinder. Larsson is a better option.

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:42 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Not many who post as regularly as you anymore, unfortunately.
Oh man...that hurts!

cj225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:54 AM
CerebralGenesis

Saugus throwing the zingers

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:55 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Marty looks great as does Zajac, Kovy, Zub and Clarkson. Zidlicky was god awful, to many lazy penalities. After only two games if I had my choice I would keep Matteau up and send Teddy down. However, it's only 2 games. Come game 5, Lou and Pete may have a tough choice to make.

Last edited by Brooklyndevil: 01-23-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:05 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

By the way, did I miss something, or how long has Kovalchuk been on the PK?

Old
01-23-2013, 08:09 AM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Since Deboer has been coach. Kovy has had PK duties

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:10 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
Zids really was bad. Gotta get rid of at least one of Zidlicky, Volchenkov and Tallinder. Larsson is a better option.
I thought Tallinder played excellent in both games. Volchenkov should be the odd man out.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:13 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post
I thought Tallinder played excellent in both games. Volchenkov should be the odd man out.
I have to disagree, Volch was important on the PK last night. Zidlicky on the other hand was horrendous. I really hope Pete puts Larsson in place of him on Friday.

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:14 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Guess I missed that for a while then. Last person I wanted to see on that penalty shot.

Some Flyers fans were blaming Bryz for horrible play. He didn't play bad again last time, just no support from the rest of the team.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:21 AM
Capt Brycey Poo
Im back baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
didnt he get pk time under lemaires 2nd stint?

Capt Brycey Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:24 AM
Nick0930

Quote:

Some Flyers fans were blaming Bryz for horrible play. He didn't play bad again last time, just no support from the rest of the team.
Besides a few juicy rebounds, he was fine. Don't know how you can blame your goalie when the team doesn't score a goal.

Nick0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:24 AM
FirmestPiano

Have to say Greene and Fayne are very solid and compliment each other very well. Impressed by Matteau, looked a little lost in the D zone at one time but other than that he played pretty good.

Josefson looks so much faster than when he started out with the devils. Lots of hustle too and it looked like he had a good understanding with Elias and Clarkson when he was moved up.

FirmestPiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:32 AM
Jack Griffin

Quote:
I think the fact there's even a hearing is astounding to me. I thought it was clean when I saw it. Maybe 2 minutes for charging since he left the ice before making contact. And Volchenkov wasn't even hurt, right?
I thought it was a charge but it definitely wasn't anything suspension worthy IMO. Maybe since it wasn't a penalty the NHL is just making sure he knows not to do that again.

Jack Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:33 AM
devilsblood

Quote:
1st half of last year, b4 his back started to act up, Kovy was an absolute menace on the PK. Between he and Zach we had tons of chances, and goals, while killing penalties.

Remember games where the opposing teams looked scared to attack.

devilsblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:36 AM
njdevil26

Not that I care about trying to figure out why the Flyers are playing poorly.... but when the hell are they going to learn?

The Devils embarrassed them in the playoffs by not responding to the cheap hits, after the whistle stuff, and physical intimidation. So what do they do? They go down 3-0 and start it all up again. I mean really... in the last 8 games the Flyers have played they are 1-7. 5 of those losses are the Devils.

If I were them I would be disappointed with the captain as well. Giroux loses his cool and can't stay out of the penalty box.

Great game for our boys last night. Really impressed with Matteau. I was happy towards the end when DeBoer tried Josefson between Elias and Clarkson. If we can keep our crap together, I think we'll be just fine when Henrique comes back.

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:39 AM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
Because he is terrible defensively. Really terrible, and not getting better.

Pete tested that line on one shift, giving them a defensive zone draw. The result was Tedenby taking a penalty after Elias failing on a faceoff and the gong show that ensued. I really want Tedenby to make it. He has very good offensive instincts and battles very hard in the corners in the O zone. It's just not enough to make up for his defensive ineptness.
Really think u are overstating how bad he is defensively. Is he Bobby Carpenter out there? No, but if he was "really terrible" would he get any ice time?

devilsblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:40 AM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Gotta love the Flyer strategy when they're losing:

1) Take penalties, throw unnecessary hits, and try to start fights
2) ?????????
3) Win game

Hey guys, how's that working out for ya so far? Broad Street Goonies

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote