HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Home Opener vs Bolts 1/22

Old
01-22-2013, 09:42 PM
Sad King Jimmy
Look up, Hannah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
JR is a ****ing idiot when it comes to building a defense, we haven't had a decent one since 09, haven't had a good one since 02. And his response this season was to add Corvo after we lost Allen?
This so much.

Losing Allen, and Seidenberg, but continually acquiring Corvo, and Babchuk is just nuts.

Don't even get me started on guys like Kaberle and Melichar.

Sad King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:50 PM
normalpsychology

For a team with no defense I'm wondering where the heck our offense is also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Ellis should start one of the games against Buffalo, but when he let's in 4+ himself, people will stop calling for him after every bad loss.
Anything to base that on? Nope. Ellis has played two periods and let in 1 goal. Cam has played 4 periods and let in 9. It might make sense to give Ellis another go.

normalpsychology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:50 PM
tpsteffe

vCash: 500
Sanguinetti needs to be sat. Cost us the first goal against Florida by not tying up Huberdeau and cost us 2 goals tonight. Makes me wonder how bad McBain really looked in camp.

Regardless, this team is flawed from the beginning. When will JR wake up and actually build a solid NHL D. The experiment with "puck moving defensemen" needs to end.

tpsteffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:56 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Now that I'm home with my bottle of gin, here are my thoughts for whatever they are worth.
1. Plenty of good work in the offensive zone after the first 6 minutes or so. Some bad luck. I have no doubt the goals will come.
2. I like the All Eggs in One Basket line on the PP, lots of good chances and good movement.
3. Tlusty looks like he is growing into a very quality PKer
4. The forward rotation or line construction is really hampered by the loss of Ruutu. Virtually no net drive other than Jordan and very little physical presence in the top 9.
5. The D group is horrendous in terms of depth and pairings. How many years is JR going to field a roster that is short at least 1 quality dman? I really liked Gleason and Faulk together. I could almost handle the Corvo-Harrison combo if Pitkanen was paired with a legit stay at home partner. Sanguinetti is not an NHL dman, we've seen enough.
6. Garon was spectacular with rebound control against the Canes.......again.
7. Larose is either out of shape or he is done. At least two steps slow all night despite good effort.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
Gleason-Faulk
Pitkanen-McBain
Harrison-Corvo

Do it.

Chicago Made Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
This team stinks....and as others have said before me, it starts with the Defense. Its hard to score goals with the forwards you "upgraded" to if your defense cant get the puck away from the other team.

Tonight: 70%+ possession time for Tampa

Obi Wan LaRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennay Kekua View Post

Anything to base that on? Nope. Ellis has played two periods and let in 1 goal. Cam has played 4 periods and let in 9. It might make sense to give Ellis another go.
Lies.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:09 PM
normalpsychology

He's responsible for the one Ellis let through.

normalpsychology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:10 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
He's responsible for the one Ellis let through.
Gotcha

Note to Tarheel, in the "goaltender errors" section of our subjective stats, make sure you change Ellis's goal against to be Cam's fault. Thanks!

Old
01-22-2013, 10:11 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

So, we have our whipping boys firmly established already. Good start to the season.

I like that it's universally recognized that our D is sub-NHL level and yet a new goalie is what we need. Because playing your backup behind an AHL defense will yield strong results every time, I guess.

Anyway. It's a frustrating week. Just like every other first and last week of every season since 2006. The fans are cranky and I can only imagine how the players feel. Hopefully this blows over quickly.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:14 PM
impeach estaalo
timgleson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post

This obsession with Ellis is funny. What indication is there that he's going to suddenly become the goaltender he hasn't been the past couple years?
What indication is there that Ward is suddenly going to be worthy of his massive salary and all the accolades he gets from a cult-like fanbase and fawning press?

The FSN broadcast team that would put Goebbels to shame is responsible for this mess. Year after year it's "Cam Ward says no!" and "Great save!" after every routine stop, while every goal is either a fluke bounce or the responsibility of a convenient scapegoat on D, usually one who is European. Because of seven years of this crap, fans would burn down the ESARBCPNC if Ward was traded. You can see the sell job by John/Tripp kicking into overdrive this year as W4rd is already up to at least 4 or 5 softies 80 minutes into his season.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:14 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
Gotcha
Come on, man, don't you know that Ward was playing with his Ellis voodoo doll during the 2nd period? Ward is jealous of Ellis because the players like Ellis better. Cam thinks he's better than everybody because of that Conn Smythe and it really grates on the rest of the team, so everybody likes Ellis better and will play harder for him. It's just like the Staals hating Skinner. BTW wouldn't it be great if the Maple Leafs and Habs were relocated to Mexico City and Tijuana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Ruutu View Post
What indication is there that Ward is suddenly going to be worthy of his massive salary and all the accolades he gets from a cult-like fanbase and fawning press?

The FSN broadcast team that would put Goebbels to shame is responsible for this mess. Year after year it's "Cam Ward says no!" and "Great save!" after every routine stop, while every goal is either a fluke bounce or the responsibility of a convenient scapegoat on D, usually one who is European. Because of seven years of this crap, fans would burn down the ESARBCPNC if Ward was traded. You can see the sell job by John/Tripp kicking into overdrive this year as W4rd is already up to at least 4 or 5 softies 80 minutes into his season.
For what it's worth, *every* goalie gets the "xxx says no" treatment from Forslund, it's just his schtick for a save. I recall Gerber, Grahame, Peters, Pogge, Leighton, Legace, Murphy, and Boucher all getting the same treatment whenever they made a save. I don't think it's a sell job, jus his broadcasting trademark akin to "Now that's hockey" or "hey hey what do you say" after a goal or "keep America in your thoughts and prayers" to close out the broadcast.

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:16 PM
Novacane
My Hero

The appalling thing to me was the good/not great 2nd period followed by a completely flat 3rd period. They had no legs. We've said this before, but I guess it needs reiterating. The team can't pick and choose which periods they show up to. It has to be a full game effort and this game wasn't that.

Novacane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:17 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
What indication is there that W4rd is suddenly going to be worthy of his massive salary and all the accolades he gets from a cult-like fanbase and fawning press?
Answering a question with a question is a good way to avoid answering a question.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:19 PM
impeach estaalo
timgleson

If Ellis had started that game he wouldn't have let in that goal. Coming in cold off the bench after your "elite" "franchise" "goalie" makes it all the way to the 20 minute mark of the season is difficult.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

Honestly, at least in the building, I thought Corvo looked a lot better tonight. Gotta love that slapper from the top of the circles. That's the one thing he's good for - at least he'll ****ing shoot the puck.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:20 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
For what it's worth, *every* goalie gets the "xxx says no" treatment from Forslund, it's just his schtick for a save. I recall Gerber, Grahame, Peters, Pogge, Leighton, Legace, Murphy, and Boucher all getting the same treatment whenever they made a save. I don't think it's a sell job, jus his broadcasting trademark akin to "Now that's hockey" or "hey hey what do you say" after a goal or "keep America in your thoughts and prayers" to close out the broadcast.
I don't recall Pogge ever playing for the Canes, let alone making a decent save...

Old
01-22-2013, 10:20 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Wow we are breaking new ground 2 games in, we just got the FSN-Goebbels comparison.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:22 PM
Sad King Jimmy
Look up, Hannah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Ward View Post
Honestly, at least in the building, I thought Corvo looked a lot better tonight. Gotta love that slapper from the top of the circles. That's the one thing he's good for - at least he'll ****ing shoot the puck.
Yeah, he'll miss on 3/5, get block on 1/5, but he'll get a shot on the goalies crest on that last 1/5!

Old
01-22-2013, 10:23 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by faulkingdynamic View Post
Wow we are breaking new ground 2 games in, we just got the FSN-Goebbels comparison.
And we'd be remiss not to mention that in this comparison, the role of Hitler is played by none other than Cam Ward.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:23 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
I don't recall Pogge ever playing for the Canes, let alone making a decent save...
I would have *sworn* Pogge made one appearance in a game during his time in the system. I take Pogge back, but the point still stands that its less sell job than Forslund's broadcasting trademark.

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:24 PM
Sad King Jimmy
Look up, Hannah

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
And we'd be remiss not to mention that in this comparison, the role of Hitler is played by none other than Cam Ward.
Lies. Clearly Hitler is Jim Rutherford.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:25 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Ward View Post
He did look better, that's true, but he wasn't exactly good. His hockey sense is just unbelievably bad at times, making blind passes that go directly to an opponent. But at least he wasn't Sanguinetti bad.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post

Dave Lewis no longer has a role with the team, I guess...

Old
01-22-2013, 10:30 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonfortheHart View Post
Lies. Clearly Hitler is Jim Rutherford.
Apparently the propaganda campaign is meant to glorify Ward, making him Hitler. Pretty cut and dry, really, and it's all you need to know in order to make a full judgment of him as a hockey player.

Rutherford clearly represents the puppet government of Romania.