HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our cap space ...and why we compete next year

Old
04-28-2013, 02:07 PM
HogtownSabresfan

vCash: 500
Our cap space ...and why we compete next year

I just don't understand why this has to be a total rebuild. We have tons of space, more if we trade Miller and Stafford. You pick up two or three week-priced UFAs for depth and I think this team can be in the mix for the playoffs. I think the big question is whether Hackett/Enroth would be good enough for us to compete over 82 games. You go with partial rebuild and Vanek has all but said he's ready to sign up for that. He wants to stay.
I'm not sure Rolston is the right coach but you make some small moves like we did with Spacek, Leopold (before he sucked) and you're in the mix, IMO. You have to have Vanek's 25 - 30 goals and someone who can take a face off.
But with $16 million of cap room, we can upgrade if we choose to. I'm guessing Pegula will push this route

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Havok89

Who do we sign? And why do they sign in Buffalo?

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:11 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
I just don't understand why this has to be a total rebuild. We have tons of space, more if we trade Miller and Stafford. You pick up two or three week-priced UFAs for depth and I think this team can be in the mix for the playoffs. I think the big question is whether Hackett/Enroth would be good enough for us to compete over 82 games. You go with partial rebuild and Vanek has all but said he's ready to sign up for that. He wants to stay.
I'm not sure Rolston is the right coach but you make some small moves like we did with Spacek, Leopold (before he sucked) and you're in the mix, IMO. You have to have Vanek's 25 - 30 goals and someone who can take a face off.
But with $16 million of cap room, we can upgrade if we choose to. I'm guessing Pegula will push this route
Because the UFA route went so well for us the first go round.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:19 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Buffalo's biggest problem now is a lack of pure offensive talent. Pominville made up for some of that but with him gone there really is a big hole in scoring. If Vanek gets traded I just don't see who will pick up the slack unless all the best prospects pan out, and even then it would have to be scoring by committee.

I think it's reasonable to hold out hope for signing Kane in 2015. In the meantime re-sign Vanek and work on developing the prospects into solid two-way players. I don't see the need, or it being useful or probable, to sign UFAs this summer or maybe even next. Maybe Grigorenko, Larsson, Girgensons, Armia, etc. put together a good enough roster that only needs a cherry on top like Kane in a few years. I really HATE to bank on a punk like Kane to be a Sabre, but he's going to be the type of player Buffalo really needs by then.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:25 PM
McTank

Free agents suck this year

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:29 PM
Girgenburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
Because the UFA route went so well for us the first go round.
We gambled on Leino and to this point, it's been a failed experiment. That doesn't mean that every UFA we sign is going to be as bad.

I'd look at guys like Scuderi, Hainsey, Streit, Zubrus, Cleary, Poti, Ference, B. Clark. Older, still relatively effective, and able to push the younger guys along. Not sure who all has been re-signed off this short list, but players of this ilk are going to help bring a veteran presence to our locker room. This team is really going to miss Jochen Hecht next year. If I were Darcy, I'd do something about that.

Can't just hand it off to the young kids and expect great results. Gotta get a vet to keep them grounded, a la Niedermayer/Grier/Jochen.

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:59 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
We gambled on Leino and to this point, it's been a failed experiment. That doesn't mean that every UFA we sign is going to be as bad.

I'd look at guys like Scuderi, Hainsey, Streit, Zubrus, Cleary, Poti, Ference, B. Clark. Older, still relatively effective, and able to push the younger guys along. Not sure who all has been re-signed off this short list, but players of this ilk are going to help bring a veteran presence to our locker room. This team is really going to miss Jochen Hecht next year. If I were Darcy, I'd do something about that.

Can't just hand it off to the young kids and expect great results. Gotta get a vet to keep them grounded, a la Niedermayer/Grier/Jochen.
I don't think anyone is expecting great results; if they are the problem is in their expectations. That's not to say they won't add a veteran or two, I expect them to, especially a defenseman. However, they're clearly going younger and are seemingly willing to take a step backwards in order to take two steps forward.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:04 PM
Sabresfansince1980

I'd rather see young players learn through hard knocks than watching vet grinders take their ice time away. Nobody they could sign as a UFA will make them a solid playoff team anyway.

Old
04-28-2013, 03:50 PM
Girgenburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
I'd rather see young players learn through hard knocks than watching vet grinders take their ice time away. Nobody they could sign as a UFA will make them a solid playoff team anyway.
I guess. But I just think having a guy like Zubrus to show Larsson/Foligno/Flynn (etc.) the ropes couldn't hurt.

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:52 PM
boots electric

If the bottom 6 is improved in any appreciable fashion, I could see them sneaking into 7th or 8th by virtue of being a lot harder to play against.

Even with Vanek out, the team was a respectable (and frustrating) amount of games. They weren't playing pretty during that stretch, but they weren't being total pushovers like they were early in the season.

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:25 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
I'm talking about a couple of minor signings on two year deals. Very subtle moves than can be effective. Those type of guys are out there. My bet is they try this. And they've had some decent success with minor signings. I'm not taking about signing Bozak for $30 m over five years.

Old
04-28-2013, 06:27 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post

Yes, I'm talking about moves like this

Old
04-28-2013, 06:36 PM
Clock

The emphasis needs to be on growing the young talent as the future of the team. I'm all for plugging in UFAs or bringing in vets to forward that objective as complimentary pieces.

Put another way: I'd rather have Darcy spend on the best teachers / leaders rather than the best performers at this point.

We're not going to compete for a while. Embrace the rebuild.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:01 PM
Sabresfansince1980

The issue with signing UFAs is...what happens to the young players that miss out on ice time? Do we want "character" vets to play instead of Grigorenko, Flynn, Tropp, Pysyk, Ruhwedel or McNabb? I don't think so, unless they really struggle (not likely with Pysyk).

Do we simply want UFAs that are better than what we have in Stafford, Leino, Gerbe, Porter, Pardy, and Sulzer? I'd say yes, but a significant talent upgrade is very unlikely, and four of them are under contract and would have to be moved or bought out. Is all that roster movement worth it when more prospects like Larsson, Armia, Catenacci, Girgensons, and McCabe are ready? Will these UFAs agree to one or two year contracts knowing they'll be moved again in favor of prospects?

I would say, for this summer anyway, to stand pat on UFAs. Trade dead weight for futures and look to fill holes in 2014 and 2015 after finding out which prospects fail.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:02 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
The emphasis needs to be on growing the young talent as the future of the team. I'm all for plugging in UFAs or bringing in vets to forward that objective as complimentary pieces.

Put another way: I'd rather have Darcy spend on the best teachers / leaders rather than the best performers at this point.

We're not going to compete for a while. Embrace the rebuild.
A thousand times this!!!

No offense to Hogtown Sabres Fan, but there is a dearth of talent on this team. Combined with inconsistent effort and a less than effective "system", and the Sabres are not a playoff team until all three (talent, effort, system) are improved.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:16 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Free agency will probably always suck from now on. The market has sucked for years quite frankly. Most of the higher end talent out there is now entering their mid 20s and is all locked up for the next 6-10 years. Most of the recent sought after UFAs were all top draft picks that were stuck on bad teams for years. If you want a Kovalchuk or Hossa you have to wait for them to burn 5 or 6 years of their career going nowhere and hope they sign with you, or draft players like them.

Free agency right now in my opinion is best suited to sign some great 3rd and 4th liners who can help supplement young talent.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:17 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Free agency will probably always suck from now on. The market has sucked for years quite frankly. Most of the higher end talent out there is now entering their mid 20s and is all locked up for the next 6-10 years. Most of the recent sought after UFAs were all top draft picks that were stuck on bad teams for years. If you want a Kovalchuk or Hossa you have to wait for them to burn 5 or 6 years of their career going nowhere and hope they sign with you, or draft players like them.

Free agency right now in my opinion is best suited to sign some great 3rd and 4th liners who can help supplement young talent.
YES. That will make our team A LOT better, IMO.
Bottom 6 this year:
Ott-Grigs/Hecht-Flynn
Gerbe-Porter-Kaleta/Scott (not sure if lines are right, but that's about what we had)
Hecht was decent and flynn was good, but on other teams, are grigs, gerbe, porter, and scott even NHL options?

Potential bottom 6 next year:
Ott-Boyd Gordon-Flynn
Bickell-Porter-Kaleta/Tropp/Scott

Or if otter slots into our top 6, make a 3rd line of tropp-gordon-flynn and then just role b-p-k as the 4th line
Darcy needs to stop making 3rd lines out of 4th line players, and 4th lines out of AHL fodder

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote