HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 6-3 : Yak and Schultz score their 1st NHL goals

Old
01-23-2013, 09:19 AM
BadMedicine*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
If we can't get bigger on the top 6, we need to get bigger on the bottom 6. We need pick guys that play with weight to wear teams down. The kids do fine because most of the time the other teams are chasing them up and down the ice. If we could get some size on the 3rd line that can shut down top lines with physical play, that would help our development.

Last night we needed Fistric or Hordichuk in the line-up. When Belanger is your most physical forward, something is wrong.
Playing with weight is certainly something we need to have if we cannot find and execute a system of play that negates the need for the heavy play.

Right now we are executuing a system that is a breakout system that requires heavy bodies that can one dominate the middle of the ice in the o-zone and two earn and hold real estate in front of the net.Hartikainen was our answer and it was a poor decision--it was the wrong aplication of a two dimensional player asked to do a one dimensional role.

We only need these heavy bodies to support the type of system Ralph Krueger wants to use.

Your analysis is pretty accurate but it doesnt mean your solution is the only one,a system adjustment would not require heavier bodies than we already have,we just need to direct the momentum and flow of the game into the areas where we are already heavy enough.

RNH was one of our most physical players last night in terms of system safe decisions and first recovery and when I see that it is a major red flag,he is doing what he sees as the right thing and he is accurate ,but we need to remove that rquirement systemwise---we DO NOT want to see TNH being our backbone we want to see him support that backbone,and because of all of our skill we need to do everything by committee,one might wrongly assume that an average skilled team would need to work harder to be effective and would have to focus on doing things by committee more than a more skilled group,this is MISCONCEPTION.

As soon as we abandoned the fastbreak system we used in game one we OWNED the hockey game,we were WINNING for two periods.We looked slow because we made some transitional adjustments that took a while to pan out once we adjusted in the 2nd period we took over possesion and momentum and shot totals as a controlled 3 transition system does naturally,its not rocket science its just that not many people step out on a limb and post this analysis for fear of being either censored or challenged.

The changes we made in the 2nd period to counter their neutral zone control changed the entire game,we stepped into their kitchen using the 3 controlled transition game to spread our personell out into three zones and we paralysed their neutral zone buildup of momentum and set plays,we forced them to adjust to our own game and they couldnt,and we won two periods of hockey but got no points,exactly what we cannot afford to do.

We need a faster reaction time on our bench,we need better consulting from above the ice surface and we need more accurate intuative analysis from above the ice surface,the coaches cannot make accurate assesments of the overall flow and construct of the game dynamics from the trenches any more than a general can control his battle from there.

This is a weak area we have been losing ground on for about ten years,this is a critical command and communication issue.We need a fresh approach and instead of seeking an intuative analysis we have relied upon statistical analysis and it hasnt been productive for us or really anyone else either.

The NewAge Hockey System is not proven and has no track record,there is no business concern or money involved or website or any such thing,but it is an idea that is out there in cyberspace that seems on many levels to fit our challenges in Edmonton.Maybe it is time for the Oilers to look for some unique non-traditional avenues of resource mining.All they need to so is look for that NHS data and ***** it.

Laddy Smid played an excellent two games for us and he is a top pairing defensman on any team.Our system isnt working but Laddy sure is.

Horcoff is a perfect fit for our 3rd line as is Smyth but without Hemmer doing the legwork their skillsets are being wasted by the coaching staff.The NewAge Hockey System wouldnt seperate these types of players.

We won two periods of that hockey game hands down,we actually had a shot at a comeback happening,the second period system adjustments were what changed that game,had we started the first like we started the second period those would have been our two points.It had nothing to do with toughness and everything to do with adjusting from a first period fastbreak system to a second and third period controlled 3 transition system,and the results were not only dramatic but the same old schtick,we did this last year so this is a re-run except last year we did it with an entire season we started off winning using a 3 transition system ,switched to a fasrbreak and buried the entire year,then reverted back to a transition style and righted the ship as the year was ending.

BadMedicine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:20 AM
Sheeshta

Brutal game. Anybody that takes any positives from the last two periods is out of their mind - it's not very difficult to look half decent against a team that's already got a five goal lead on the road. Our defence is abysmal, and almost to a man our forwards are too small, too slow or else just unwilling to help out the D in our own zone. We don't have the personnel to compete, though we'll win a small bunch of games against teams too stupid to realize how easy it'll be to beat the Oilers by filling up the neutral zone.

Sheeshta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:21 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedrusDH View Post
i wonder how a fight after the 3rd or 4th SJS goal would have affected the game's momentum.

regardless, Fistric needs to draw in against teams like the Sharks. we needed his big body coverage.
I'm not sure how Fistric wasn't in for this game. The Sharks had all the time and space in the world in front of the net. And Behind the net. And beside the net. Thornton just had to cycle behind and wait for someone to get free up front. Couture pretty much gets a free penalty shot with that defensive coverage. And all of our D-Men are screening Dubnyk on just about every shot. The only time I see Potter act tough, he's getting a penalty AFTER the whistle. Then we get scored on. Again.

I'm not saying Fistric would have stopped all of those goals. But it would have made the Sharks have to think twice about hanging out in front of the net. I'm sure those were the easiest 6 goals the Sharks have scored.

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:22 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

I liked Magnus' game.
He was speeding down and actually getting quality shots. Not floaters from the blueline.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:23 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeshta View Post
Brutal game. Anybody that takes any positives from the last two periods is out of their mind - it's not very difficult to look half decent against a team that's already got a five goal lead on the road. Our defence is abysmal, and almost to a man our forwards are too small, too slow or else just unwilling to help out the D in our own zone. We don't have the personnel to compete, though we'll win a small bunch of games against teams too stupid to realize how easy it'll be to beat the Oilers by filling up the neutral zone.
Has nothing to do with not having the personnel. We split the series with them last year. The problem was our personnel playing shinny while the other team was playing pro hockey the first period.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:24 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2768
This was also a game where Hordi taking an instigator to get some momentum could've been helpful.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:24 AM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
I'm not sure how Fistric wasn't in for this game. The Sharks had all the time and space in the world in front of the net. And Behind the net. And beside the net. Thornton just had to cycle behind and wait for someone to get free up front. Couture pretty much gets a free penalty shot with that defensive coverage. And all of our D-Men are screening Dubnyk on just about every shot. The only time I see Potter act tough, he's getting a penalty AFTER the whistle. Then we get scored on. Again.

I'm not saying Fistric would have stopped all of those goals. But it would have made the Sharks have to think twice about hanging out in front of the net. I'm sure those were the easiest 6 goals the Sharks have scored.
They killed us on the cycle. They did what they wanted and swatted us like flies. Men against boys down low. On top of that, as you already said, the guy in the slot was almost always open to boot.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:30 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeshta View Post
For sure...the video on last nights game underscores the deficiencies in this team quite clearly. Great game plan by the Sharks and Kruger did nothing to counter...as a matter of fact he played into their hands with some of his idiotic line matching.
That will not be the only time we see an ugly game like that. The top 6 was overmatched in the D-zone time and time again.
Still some glaring personal issues to be addressed....(bottom pairing on D) and a small, soft top (inexperienced) 6.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:31 AM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnTpoint View Post
Smid and Horcoff are not NHL players.

I have never understood the love on this board for Smid. Sure he battles hard, but as soon as he touches the puck he just throws it right back to the other team in the neutral zone. I would give his breakout passing a zero rating, as it is non existent.

Horcoff is clearly a step behind most players in this league. He is to slow to be effective defensively. I dont care if he made league minimum, he is just not good.
Horcoff has been on the ice for zero even strength goals against this year.

Sam Gagner has been on the ice for every even strength goal but one.

Yup, Horcoff's the problem.

Way to suss that out for us.

Ryan Whitney and Corey Potter seem to be on the ice for every Oiler goal against, but you pick out Smid to harangue?

Holy crap.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:31 AM
Al Cappuccino
Craig's on it

mail it in for Mackinnon!!!!

Al Cappuccino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Johnny McBravo
Hello Connor

One little thing I noticed with Yak, is that he seems skittish to take the puck up the ice. He's a players who's always looking for the breakout pass, and yet I see him cycling behind the defensemen all of the time. This completely takes him out of the play. Probably just needs to adjust, and get a confidence boost I guess.

Johnny McBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
They killed us on the cycle. They did what they wanted and swatted us like flies. Men against boys down low. On top of that, as you already said, the guy in the slot was almost always open to boot.
They absolutely devoured us through the cycle. They had tremendous puck support in the middle where for whatever reason our players were afraid to collapse to. Instead they chose to stray aimlessly behind the net on a PK or wait on the half walls while an opposing player either pinches or slides into an empty slot.

I didn't see players going hard into the corners early but instead waiting for Sharks to come out with the puck and adjusting. Forwards constantly waited for pucks to come to them instead of pursuing them. No one wanted it.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
For sure...the video on last nights game underscores the deficiencies in this team quite clearly. Great game plan by the Sharks and Kruger did nothing to counter...as a matter of fact he played into their hands with some of his idiotic line matching.
That will not be the only time we see an ugly game like that. The top 6 was overmatched in the D-zone time and time again.
Still some glaring personal issues to be addressed....(bottom pairing on D) and a small, soft top (inexperienced) 6.
Yep, somebody should tell him about last line change

Couldn't believe the matchups SJ was getting.

I wonder how the Krueger ""give the team a day off after a bad game to get their heads out of the rink and avoiding "overcoaching" is settling in right now. lol, first home game of the season and the team tests Kreugers resolve to do things differently.

We gotta naive NHL coach here people.

So gotta say this a well. Where was the goalie yank, timeout, or stalling tactic in the first period. Kreuger had to do something to interupt the carnage. When your team is staggering and eating punches you don't wait for the period to end. You wait for the next whistle to get the clubs head back in the game.

The direction was clear after the 3rd goal, that was time for a timeout and or goalie change. Around the 10min mark Dubs is seen trying to catch a lobbed puck. He actually fumbles it right in front of him. If a shark was around it was another gift goal. On two other plays he basically froze not being sure what to do.

Dubnyk was rattled, clearly, and it happens to him. It was time for a yank.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:48 AM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
... Are you for real?

For one, it's just one game. Coming off of a 10 day "training camp" with no exhibition games, this is going to happen. We'll catch a team on a bad night too.

For two, **** draft lotteries. I'm sick of losing. Now is the time to start winning. Comments like this make me sick.

Wheathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:52 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
... Are you for real?

For one, it's just one game. Coming off of a 10 day "training camp" with no exhibition games, this is going to happen. We'll catch a team on a bad night too.

For two, **** draft lotteries. I'm sick of losing. Now is the time to start winning. Comments like this make me sick.
I guess Philly is getting Mackinnon.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:54 AM
McNutty780

Yakupov on 5 v 5 still looks a little lost. Nothing wrong with that, it's rookie kinks. And is it just me or does he tend to rifle his passes. Doesnt seem to have the flip and touch like RNH etc. He doesnt look "scared" or anything. He's got all the confidence in the world. More like "well ****, i cant do this move anymore, what the **** do i do instead" kinda mentality

TBH, i can see him blowing up next year like stamkos when he gets this half season under his belt

McNutty780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:55 AM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yep, somebody should tell him about last line change

Couldn't believe the matchups SJ was getting.

I wonder how the Krueger ""give the team a day off after a bad game to get their heads out of the rink and avoiding "overcoaching" is settling in right now. lol, first home game of the season and the team tests Kreugers resolve to do things differently.

We gotta naive NHL coach here people.

So gotta say this a well. Where was the goalie yank, timeout, or stalling tactic in the first period. Kreuger had to do something to interupt the carnage. When your team is staggering and eating punches you don't wait for the period to end. You wait for the next whistle to get the clubs head back in the game.

The direction was clear after the 3rd goal, that was time for a timeout and or goalie change. Around the 10min mark Dubs is seen trying to catch a lobbed puck. He actually fumbles it right in front of him. If a shark was around it was another gift goal. On two other plays he basically froze not being sure what to do.

Dubnyk was rattled, clearly, and it happens to him. It was time for a yank.
I find it hilariously ridiculous that you were pumping Krueger's tires all offseason, calling it a great move by Tambo to hire him and now you've thrown in the towel after 2 games (which it seems that you're doing by calling him a naive NHL coach).
Just like the ridiculous claims last night, based on one horrible period, that the Oilers are a last place team again, it's time to talk Jones/MacKinnon etc., it's just as ridiculous that you are giving up on the coach just like that!!!

It's obvious that Krueger made some critical tactical errors last night, not pulling Dubnyk earlier, not calling the timeout after the first 2 goals etc. but just like the team, he is learning on the job. It's only his 2nd game as an NHL coach, it's going to take a bit of time for he and the players to adjust. Hell, it's going to take time for many teams and coaches in the league to adjust to this unusual, compressed schedule set up.

The point is, that it's only 2 games in and the team is 1-1. It was obvious going into the season that the team still has some glaring holes so nights like this against the Sharks aren't surprising (although 6 goals in one period is ludicrous). The true test will be how this team battles through adversity because in past seasons, they have folded like a cheap tent when being challenged so lets give Krueger and the team more than 2 games to give a proper evaluation.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:56 AM
April McEthereal
5-14-6-1

vCash: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
Get out.

Enough draft picks. Time for results.

April McEthereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Johnny McBravo
Hello Connor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
Get out.

Enough draft picks. Time for results.
I assume he's kidding.

Johnny McBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:03 AM
April McEthereal
5-14-6-1

vCash: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
I assume he's kidding.
I hope so.

April McEthereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Hockey Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
I hope so.
He'd better be kidding. Suffer for Seth!

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:13 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

You know, the funny thing is, we all thought the Oilers had a better chance of making the playoffs because of the shortened season, but maybe it's actually the converse: maybe with a full season, the players would have time in the first 15-20 games to get used to Krueger's schemes and for the players to develop and gain confidence.

In such a tight season, maybe it's easier for the veteran teams to go into "playoff mode" and play a close-checking, aggressive system.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:16 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Other thought: did Yak's goal to make it 2-1 actually come at a really bad time, so with the standing O everyone got caught up in the excitement again?

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:18 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

My reaction after the game was over last night:

Trade EVERYBODY. Fire EVERYBODY. *Fires up Far Cry 3*

My reaction this morning:

We are 1-1-0, and our next game is at home. Life could be worse.

This team is NOT as bad as they showed last night. Certain players are a concern for sure (What the hell happened to Whitney??), but I am positive that this team will be better than they were last year unless they get torn apart by injuries again.

I'm looking forward to this season.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:23 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

It was just a moment in time.