HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Att:n People that live in Boston, Chicago, or Philly

Old
01-23-2013, 12:18 AM
Nicky Santoro

vCash: 500
Att:n People that live in Boston, Chicago, or Philly

hi guys, i am just curious. i'd love to know.

Boston- Would you say Bruins are more popular than the Celtics in boston? Do people like Celtics or Bruins more and who gets better tv ratings?

Philly- I know the flyers get a lot of attention now in philly, but would you say they are now more popular than the Sixers?

Chicago- this one interests me alot. Reason- i read last yr that no team in all 4 major sports have grown so much than the Hawks. there are 6x as many hawks fans than the last 3 yrs, and tv ratings are off the roof. but are the Hawks now more popular than the Bulls? and if not, is it close??

I hope you guys can help...Thanks so much guys

Nicky Santoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:25 AM
NorthernILHawksFan

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say the Hawks are more popular than the Bulls at all. Seems like I see more people wearing Blackhawks gear.

NorthernILHawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:46 AM
MartysBetterThanYou

The Flyers are significantly more popular than the Sixers in Philly, especially in the suburbs. It's a hockey town, and there are rinks everywhere. The Sixers only get attention when they are good.

MartysBetterThanYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:00 AM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

vCash: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernILHawksFan View Post
I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say the Hawks are more popular than the Bulls at all. Seems like I see more people wearing Blackhawks gear.
I'd definitely agree with this. I'm in Chicago several times a year visiting family and whatnot, and I'd say there's a twofold reason for this. The main reason was Rocky Wirtz taking over from his dad, Bill. Bill was far from friendly with Hawks fans, and Rocky took a lot of steps to welcome back fans doing everything from finally airing home games on TV to bringing back Hawk legends Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita. You combine that with the player stable the Hawks have built, the Cup win, and an otherwise lackluster Chicago sports scene at the moment and the Hawks have really caught lightning in a bottle.

puckguy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:17 AM
kdb209
Global Moderator

The Flyers >>> the Sixers, but the Celtics vs Bruins and and Bulls vs Hawks has varied year to year (with an overall edge to the NBA).

The last comprehensive RSN ratings list I've seen was from '09-'10:

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2010...r-nba-mlb-and/

The Hawks were slightly ahead of the Bulls and the Celtics were significantly ahead of the Bruins. The Sixers, well ...

MLB CSN Chicago Cubs 4.16
NHL CSN Chicago Blackhawks 2.45
NBA CSN Chicago Bulls 2.35
MLB CSN Chicago White Sox 2.28

MLB NESN Red Sox 9.46
NBA CSN New England Celtics 3.11
NHL NESN Bruins 2.18

MLB CSN Philadelphia Phillies 7.13
NHL CSN Philadelphia Flyers 2.18
NBA CSN Philadelphia 76ers 1.24

Since then Sports Business Journal has just published Top-5/Bottom-5 lists:

'10-'11 NBA: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...N-ratings.aspx

'10-'11 NHL:

Bulls (4.48) > Hawks (2.74)
Celtics (4.73) > Bruins (3.12)

'11-'12 NBA: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J.../NBA-RSNs.aspx

San Antonio Spurs FS Southwest 8.00 -21.5% 70,000
Miami Heat Sun Sports 6.59 27.0% 104,000
Oklahoma City Thunder FS Oklahoma 6.58 131.7% 47,000
Chicago Bulls CSN Chicago 5.85 38.6% 204,000
Los Angeles Lakers FS West 4.64 -2.7% 258,000

'11-'12 NHL: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...N-ratings.aspx

Pittsburgh Penguins Root Sports 7.89 92 -9%
Buffalo Sabres MSG 6.55 42 -6%
Boston Bruins NESN 4.72 112 +56%
St. Louis Blues FS Midwest 3.51 44 +14%
Detroit Red Wings FS Detroit 3.48 64 -14%

- Bulls (5.85) > Hawks (???, <3.48)
- Bruins (4.72) > Celtics (???, <4.64)

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:35 AM
Nicky Santoro

guys, thanks for all those responses. keep em coming. now the last post confused me. i see the 2011-12 seasons top 5 has bruins at 4.72, and Celtics 2011-12 not even in top 5 and of course less than 4.72. i was so sure that Bruins were bigger than Celtics seeing bruins are so good now and won a cup and are exciting to watch and Celtics have done nothing.

i am so glad to hear hawks more popular now than Bulls. i just read the tribune now and front page is all about Hawks 3-2 win tonight and then underneath it, a small paragraph about Rose could be ready soon. wow, who coulda said?? In 2006 or so, Hawks were filling the rink at 62% capacity, near last in the league, and no one cared about hawks 5 yrs ago. look now.

Boys, could this be true?? In the tribune, they have the Hawks ahead of the CUBS. could the Hawks actually now be more popular than the CUBS??? if yes, that is something 10 yrs ago i would have bet my mortgage it would never happen.

keep em coming boys. and thanks for your responses.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:54 AM
Nicky Santoro

ok, so last yr, bulls average 5.85, but don't forget, they had best record in NBA. hawks were ok.

now hawks 1st game this yr got a 6.6. and i am not sure, but i think they had the same rating for the 2nd game vs PHOE...i'd love to see what Bulls are getting this yr. i'd guess 3.8 avg.

now as for boston.celts got an avg of 4.68 the last 2 yrs. Boston's 1st game this yr got an 8.9 and bruins beat the celts last yr.

Is it very possible now that..

Bruins > Celtics
Hawks > Bulls and Cubs

Am i far off??

Old
01-23-2013, 02:00 AM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

vCash: 50
From a NH resident about an hour from Boston, Celtics are much more popular and its not close. Bruins have risen in popularity but Celtics are still quite a bit above the Bruins

The TV ratings might say differently, although I doubt it, but I can say from personal experience Bruins are still 4th

wKetch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:36 AM
QcNordzFan84

During my vacation in Boston, it was all about Redsox, everything else was invisible :p Seen a few in pats gear, but that's it lol

QcNordzFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:11 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
The Bulls are the casual's team. They're the team most follow to kill time between football and baseball. Thus, their ratings are better than the Hawks. But their ticket demand is bad, outside of the marquee games. The Bulls really don't have a lot of hardcore fans. If you go to a game, you'll see that rather easily. You're an outcast at a Bulls game if you show up in Bulls gear, it's a very corporate environment.

The Hawks on the other hand have a much more hardcore fan base. They're growing in support among the casuals, and the more they are successful the more they will continue. Hawks tickets are far and away the toughest ticket in town, and have been since the 08-09 season. In this same sense, this is why you'll see way more people in Hawks gear than Bulls gear.

EDIT: forgot to mention, the Bulls also do really well on TV among blacks and hispanics. An area the Hawks probably never touch.

Last edited by IU Hawks fan: 01-23-2013 at 07:23 AM.
IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:39 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

As far as Bruins vs Celtics, take in consideration that Bruins won the cup the year NBA was in lockout. So I think Bruins were more popular in 2011-2012 because of their long run and the lack of NBA presence. But Celtics made it very far in playoffs last two seasons so that does not take them out of the picture.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:20 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartysBetterThanYou View Post
The Flyers are significantly more popular than the Sixers in Philly, especially in the suburbs. It's a hockey town, and there are rinks everywhere. The Sixers only get attention when they are good.
I'll cosign this, although the Sixers are popular in the inner-city areas.

Eagles still rule the roost here, although the Phillies took over for a brief period of time in 2008-2009 when they were going to World Series'.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:32 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

One small note about TV ratings, and not enough to drive a difference, but you also have to remember that an arena in basketball format holds more people than an arena in hockey format. So with a sold out arena for the Bruins, a sold out arena for the Celtics, and equal TV ratings, more people are actually watching the Celtics.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:28 AM
4thline4life
The Mased God

vCash: 50
Philly is a college basketball town, no one cares about the Sixers especially in the suburbs. Its rare that they are even on in bars around here nowadays and if flyers are on, forget about it.

4thline4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:51 AM
mikelvl

vCash: 487
It's all about winning for the Bruins and Celtics. Right now, the B's are trending way up and the Celtics are crashing hard. Both teams have their passionate core fans. Prior to the Chia/Neely/Julien era, season tickets were at an all time low, something like 4,000. People have been jumping on the bandwagon big time over the past few years. The building is banged out every game. Their turnaround is similar to the BlackHawks I think (except the Bruins still have their d-bag owner). The Celtics are getting old, they reached their peak with their championship a few years ago but, if anything, people are jumping off their wagon quickly.

So I think you will see the change in popularity for the casual fan continue to turn towards the Bruins. It's a hockey town again. One could argue, after the Pats loss, that the Bruins are the closest team to a championship right now. But it will be hard to top the Pats and Sox regardless of how they are performing. The Pats have built up a tremendous amount of goodwill during the Brady/Belichick/Kraft era and that is not going away anytime soon. The Sox are the Sox but their obvious catering to the 'Pink Hats' has turned off a lot of the old school fanbase.

mikelvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:54 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
One small note about TV ratings, and not enough to drive a difference, but you also have to remember that an arena in basketball format holds more people than an arena in hockey format. So with a sold out arena for the Bruins, a sold out arena for the Celtics, and equal TV ratings, more people are actually watching the Celtics.
Well TV ratings aren't exact anyways, so there isn't a way to actually know that. And the difference of 1,060 (last years averages) between the Celtics and Boston is completely meaningless in a market of over 4.5 million.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelvl View Post
It's all about winning for the Bruins and Celtics. Right now, the B's are trending way up and the Celtics are crashing hard. Both teams have their passionate core fans. Prior to the Chia/Neely/Julien era, season tickets were at an all time low, something like 4,000. People have been jumping on the bandwagon big time over the past few years. The building is banged out every game. Their turnaround is similar to the BlackHawks I think (except the Bruins still have their d-bag owner). The Celtics are getting old, they reached their peak with their championship a few years ago but, if anything, people are jumping off their wagon quickly.

So I think you will see the change in popularity for the casual fan continue to turn towards the Bruins. It's a hockey town again. One could argue, after the Pats loss, that the Bruins are the closest team to a championship right now. But it will be hard to top the Pats and Sox regardless of how they are performing. The Pats have built up a tremendous amount of goodwill during the Brady/Belichick/Kraft era and that is not going away anytime soon. The Sox are the Sox but their obvious catering to the 'Pink Hats' has turned off a lot of the old school fanbase.

Agreed. Completely. The B's fanbase, the old guard has yet to give up and will never on the B's. I think we are seeing the development of the Bruins being more popular than that of the C's.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:01 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
The Bruins game 7 vs Vancouver rated a 44.3

Celtics game 7 vs the Lakers 33.9

Also there is little basketball culture in New England, compared to being one of the top hockey regions in the USA.

It always seemed like a split growing up in the winter, the 2 teams don't have many carryover fans. Also demographics play a part, but thats a discussion for a different day.

Morris Wanchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:24 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
The Bruins game 7 vs Vancouver rated a 44.3

Celtics game 7 vs the Lakers 33.9

Also there is little basketball culture in New England, compared to being one of the top hockey regions in the USA.

It always seemed like a split growing up in the winter, the 2 teams don't have many carryover fans. Also demographics play a part, but thats a discussion for a different day.
To back this point up. Basketball was invented in Massachusetts. The most successful NBA franchise is the Celtics...and when they're both contenders the ratings are close.

If the Celtics were say...the Sixers or Pistons or the Bruins were as successful as the Red Wings have been...the ratings wouldn't be close.

Also, if Bob Kraft or Wyc Grousebeck owned the Bruins instead of Jeremy Jacobs....

MTaylorJ1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:37 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Sorry, but the people that are saying that the Hawks are anywhere near as popular as the Bulls are deluding themselves.

This is Chicago's pecking order....

Bears
Cubs
Bulls
White Sox
Blackhawks

Maybe flip Sox and Bulls, but that's about it. The Blackhawks may have gotten much, much, much more popular since Rocky took over, but they're still safely #5 in Chicagoland, which just goes to show you how little of an afterthought that they used to be during Dollar Bill's final years.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:01 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Sorry, but the people that are saying that the Hawks are anywhere near as popular as the Bulls are deluding themselves.

This is Chicago's pecking order....

Bears
Cubs
Bulls
White Sox
Blackhawks

Maybe flip Sox and Bulls, but that's about it. The Blackhawks may have gotten much, much, much more popular since Rocky took over, but they're still safely #5 in Chicagoland, which just goes to show you how little of an afterthought that they used to be during Dollar Bill's final years.
wow, talk about a mood changer? that brought me so down. i figured hawks were at least ahead of Sox but according to the Tribune, they have these top 5 on their site. 1- Bears, 2- Bulls, 3- Hawks, 4- Cubs, 5- Sox..

This thread was going great for me with hawks 2nd in the city, until this post came along and put them 5th. OUCH.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:08 PM
SpokedLightning
Overpaid 4th Liner

vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
From a NH resident about an hour from Boston, Celtics are much more popular and its not close. Bruins have risen in popularity but Celtics are still quite a bit above the Bruins

The TV ratings might say differently, although I doubt it, but I can say from personal experience Bruins are still 4th
Living in NE Vermont I would say I have the same experience. Neither team has many people wearing their gear up in my neck of the woods. It's pretty much Red Sox, Pats,and then the Celts/B's depending on who is winning. There is also a significant % of Hab/Yankee/NY Giants fans.

SpokedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:11 PM
TwistedWrister90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
wow, talk about a mood changer? that brought me so down. i figured hawks were at least ahead of Sox but according to the Tribune, they have these top 5 on their site. 1- Bears, 2- Bulls, 3- Hawks, 4- Cubs, 5- Sox..

This thread was going great for me with hawks 2nd in the city, until this post came along and put them 5th. OUCH.
I think the Hawks are more popular than the Sox. The Sox have a lot of great fans, but they can also have crappy attendance and ratings even when they're good. Plus their tickets aren't that expensive. I prolly pissed off some Sox fans haha

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:12 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:

Yeah, there's no way in hell the Hawks are 2nd

Old
01-23-2013, 01:27 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
but according to the Tribune, they have these top 5 on their site. 1- Bears, 2- Bulls, 3- Hawks, 4- Cubs, 5- Sox..
Link? There is absolutely zero chance that the Cubs are less popular than the Bulls and Hawks, and that's probably still the case even if you combined all Hawks fans with all Bulls fans and assumed there was no crossover, too.

And the number of Sox fans is actually comparatively small, despite what Sox fans may like to believe (which is why I rank the Bulls ahead of them), but they still outnumber Hawks fans. Downstate? Sure, the Sox have zero presence, so just about anything's more popular than them. In the city or the metro area as a whole, though? No way.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote