Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Brown and Rice accuse Callahan of "sabotage"

Old
01-24-2013, 11:53 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
I think we're dealing with some basic questions here.

1) Is Bill Callahan capable of sabotaging a Super Bowl? I say yes; any coach is able to do such a thing.

2) DID Bill Callahan sabotage a Super Bowl? Probably not.

3) Is Bill Callahan capable of making a bunch of ridiculous moves and changes right before a game, without any forethought of what a detrimental impact it might have on both the scheme and on player morale?

Considering his stint in Nebraska, I say "yes". He came into a situation that had a very specific type of personnel suited to a very specific type of offense. He believed in something that was basically the complete opposite, and refused to actually transition into it. He came in and said, "The hell with the playbook, the terminology, and your own strengths and weaknesses. This is what we're doing, and if you don't like it, get out."

Everyone who's ever been around him has said that Bill Callahan is a legitimately brilliant offensive mind. They've also said that he's arrogant and paranoid. Could he have gotten to a certain point of second-guessing himself and deciding that he had to make radical changes less than 36 hours before a Super Bowl? I think there's actually a very good chance that it happened this way.

Sabotage? No. Simply doing something idiotic and believing that it would work simply because, if he formulated the idea in the first place, it must be a good one? I think so.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:15 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

If he did sabotague BOTH the Raiders and Cornhuskers... he's the greatest hero of our time.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:41 PM
Fresh Prince
Go Red Wings!

If he did sabotage the Raiders, he's the biggest ******* in Raiders history....but they waited 10 years to say this so it's ridiculous.

Fresh Prince is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:46 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWO View Post
If he did sabotage the Raiders, he's the biggest ******* in Raiders history.....
And as you can imagine the compitition could hardly be stiffer.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:20 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
If he did sabotague BOTH the Raiders and Cornhuskers... he's the greatest hero of our time.
this

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:37 PM
Kyle McMahon

Probably both broke and looking for some publicity.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:14 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Anybody who brings down Nebraska is good by me.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:04 PM
Big Phil

Weird to see Rice say something like this. The greatest receiver who ever lived, most touchdowns ever, three Super Bowl rings, etc. He's a guy you tend to give a little more credibility too because he really has nothing to prove. Maybe he wanted a couple more rings. Who knows? If not for the "tuck rule" call in the Patriots game and the blowout against the Bucs he possibly does have two more.

I just don't understand why a coach would do this once they are in the Superbowl. You will cement your legacy for the next 100 years and you want to blow it? Who takes that chance? Even if he was shovelled a ton of money to throw the game you can't tell me the money he makes as a champion with endorsements and such wouldn't more than make up for it. Not to mention a likely contract extension. You get the benefit of the doubt once you win the Super Bowl as a coach. It's almost as if you are President of the United States. You sort of have your way the rest of your career. Either one of Tony Dungy, Bill Cowher and yes I believe Jon Gruden get a ton of offers to coach. Under normal circumstances you'd think Tom Coughlin would be fired by now with the Giants but he has two rings under immense pressure. That might buy him 10 years.

The game plan obviously didn't work. But in watching the Ravens/Broncos game the other week you would have thought that John Fox was throwing the game with his poor coaching calls. That's just the thing, coaches make mistakes. Sometimes big ones that cost a championship. That's all this is in my opinion. For everyone who thinks the Bucs "should" have won keep in mind one thing, the Raiders were heavily favoured to win this thing from the get go. I haven't seen a team practically being handed the Lombardi trophy before the game even starts like the Raiders were. It was assumed they would win. That's how I remember it. Even after the game I can distinctly remember an article that talked about how the best "team" doesn't always win. People just didn't believe the Bucs could win.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote