HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton-Toronto

Old
01-26-2013, 06:50 PM
Eskimo44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
I was trying to propose a dumb trade but you're right.

I don't agree with him having more value than Yakupov, though. Yakupov is doing pretty well for his age.
Yakupov is doing unreal. Schultz's AHL performance was historical and transitioning to the NHL doesn't look like it's going to be a problem at all so far. "As much value" is how i would probably peg it, but Schultz's offensive game might just be Karlsson level. I really think Schultz has a legitimate chance (not to say he's my bet) to be the best player on the Oilers when it's all said and done. I think a player is essentially broken down into categories hands, heart, skating, intelligence, size, checking. Schultz doesn't seem to have a weakness anywhere.

His hands are very good and he's shown in the AHL the ability to score in a variety of different ways including beating goalies in close and stepping of defenders with a deke for a shot in the slot. He has a possibly elite wrister and a very solid slap shot that he has an "uncanny knack at getting through" (quoting his college coach). It's his ability to provide offense in a variety of ways that excites me, and a big part of the reason he does this is because of his high level puck handling and shot.

Tough to judge a guys heart so there's no reason to doubt it, he certainly seems to play determined and be a team player. This one is up in the air, and as a fan it's hard to ever really be sure of how a player fits this description. It is however very evident to teammates.

His skating is out of this world, it's his best skill IMO. Despite rarely making a bad pinch his skating allows him to get very quickly back into position even after a mistake.

Very smart player. He rarely makes a bad pinch, and is no dummy in the defensive zone despite his young age. He still has a little ways to go to be a shutdown guy but his offensive intelligence is very impressive and very likely to be elite IMO.

Good size, not much more to say.

He may not be a big hitter or overly strong but i think checking is about more than just body contact, and he has an excellent stick check. I use checking and not strength because i see strength as a component of checking. With his solid size guys can't just run him over or go around him either, so i see checking not being a problem for Schultz.

I know you probably agree with most of this but when i think of what he brings i just don't see how you can be sure any player on the Oilers will end up better. I think it's all a crapshoot as to who will be the best between the big 5, so that's why i say about even. For a defenseman to be this complete at 22 it just blows me away, and defenseman with that kind of potential are very very rare. There's no limit as to how good he could be, just like Yakupov. We got two first overall talents last season, it's ridiculous (hence the rant).

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian28 View Post
I was referring to a poster who said 2 GM's publicly stated Edmonton over valued their players. He was using that quote in referrence to our big 4. I was challenging him to back that up. Regardless of how you, I, or other Edmonton fans fel about Penner and Hemsky there were GM's upset regarding the asking price but that in and of itself is no refletion of Eberle, RNH, or Hall...only Penner and Hemsky who were being shopped.

All I asked was for mrcrazycanuck to prove his point with supporting evidence since he tried to relate quotes about Penner and Hemsky to the kids. Until he can provide a link, from GM's, unequivacally stating we overvaule the kids he'll be challenged on that point.
That's fine, i wasn't really attacking your whole position. I was mostly stating it looks like neither player really was overvalued. If somebody is willing to pay the price they did for Penner then that's his value. If the Oilers were willing to give Hemsky 5 million a year then that's his value. In both cases both players reflected the value Edmonton priced them at. Hemsky still has things to prove but i think he's well on his way to justifying that contract. So i more or less agree with you that the whole overvaluing our players stuff is pretty much nonsense.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:01 PM
Aceonfire
Connor McOiler

If Gardiner is so great...

Why are T.O fans so eager to trade him away?

Just because you have a shiny new toy in Rielly, it doesn't mean that Gardiner has to be in every proposal.

This is the NHL not a used car lot.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:26 PM
ashs

Leafs should target Magnus, he is in a checking role which is out of his element.

ashs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:11 AM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Yakupov is doing unreal. Schultz's AHL performance was historical and transitioning to the NHL doesn't look like it's going to be a problem at all so far. "As much value" is how i would probably peg it, but Schultz's offensive game might just be Karlsson level. I really think Schultz has a legitimate chance (not to say he's my bet) to be the best player on the Oilers when it's all said and done. I think a player is essentially broken down into categories hands, heart, skating, intelligence, size, checking. Schultz doesn't seem to have a weakness anywhere.

His hands are very good and he's shown in the AHL the ability to score in a variety of different ways including beating goalies in close and stepping of defenders with a deke for a shot in the slot. He has a possibly elite wrister and a very solid slap shot that he has an "uncanny knack at getting through" (quoting his college coach). It's his ability to provide offense in a variety of ways that excites me, and a big part of the reason he does this is because of his high level puck handling and shot.

Tough to judge a guys heart so there's no reason to doubt it, he certainly seems to play determined and be a team player. This one is up in the air, and as a fan it's hard to ever really be sure of how a player fits this description. It is however very evident to teammates.

His skating is out of this world, it's his best skill IMO. Despite rarely making a bad pinch his skating allows him to get very quickly back into position even after a mistake.

Very smart player. He rarely makes a bad pinch, and is no dummy in the defensive zone despite his young age. He still has a little ways to go to be a shutdown guy but his offensive intelligence is very impressive and very likely to be elite IMO.

Good size, not much more to say.

He may not be a big hitter or overly strong but i think checking is about more than just body contact, and he has an excellent stick check. I use checking and not strength because i see strength as a component of checking. With his solid size guys can't just run him over or go around him either, so i see checking not being a problem for Schultz.

I know you probably agree with most of this but when i think of what he brings i just don't see how you can be sure any player on the Oilers will end up better. I think it's all a crapshoot as to who will be the best between the big 5, so that's why i say about even. For a defenseman to be this complete at 22 it just blows me away, and defenseman with that kind of potential are very very rare. There's no limit as to how good he could be, just like Yakupov. We got two first overall talents last season, it's ridiculous (hence the rant).
Great post. I honestly always considered him 5th in our big 5 but you do raise some pretty good points.

Mc5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:00 AM
kihei

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
How does this make any sense from the Leafs perspective?
We don't exactly have a lot of young elite wingers. I saw Yakupov play tonight. No way he's going anywhere. Wish he was, I like this deal. Edmonton certainly must be very happy with the pick. He could be scary good.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:07 AM
legendinblue
Trust in Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
If Gardiner is so great...

Why are T.O fans so eager to trade him away?

Just because you have a shiny new toy in Rielly, it doesn't mean that Gardiner has to be in every proposal.

This is the NHL not a used car lot.
We're not. Well most of us anyway.

We're obviously not trading for Yakupov. If anything we'll be hoarding picks if we keep sucking.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote