HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 05:27 AM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

vCash: 500
Brodeur looks outstanding. Certainly the most consistent performer thus far. He just keeps going.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Czech Trio
from jersey

Lou has to make a move NOW for depth. I'm faithful in Kovalchuk but we can spare a defender (while getting Larsson in) while cutting down on the strain Kovalchuk gets.

5 forwards, almost have of our guys last night played less than 10 minutes while Kovalchuk logged more than 30 minutes. That won't work in the long run.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:24 AM
EliasR8
Brendan Shanahan!

vCash: 1050
Kovalchuk's toi was inflated by the PP I doubt he gets tired playing the PP.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:40 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAnimal View Post
I hope Matteau becomes a Zubrus clone, a Zubrus type player is always what the devils need
If we could just keep cloning Zubrus every couple years, I would be pleased with that. I honestly think a forward group of 11 Zubri and a Kovy would win the Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
Brodeur looks outstanding. Certainly the most consistent performer thus far. He just keeps going.
He's been making saves that I wonder how he did it. Stuff he has no business stopping, but does. Vintage Marty is back to start the season.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:46 AM
battlingBard56

I just mentioned this on the mainboard's "Josefson/Gionta goal" thread but figured I'd say this here. Anyone else notice that Josefson seems to be playing with less hesitation this season? He seems fearless and is a lot more physical than I remember him being.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
"We left the L.A. Kings and the Stanley Cup Final really disappointed, but we had a great taste about success, what we achieved," Brodeur said after stopping 26 shots in a 3-2 overtime win against the Washington Capitals on Friday at Prudential Center. "I think we're jumping right back in it. It feels like it. The guys, the conversations we have, it's like we never left each other."

Marty is definitely confident, and apparently the rest of the team is too. Like to hear these kinds of things.
That's awesome to read because it sounds like chemistry wise they just hit the ground running. No new coaching system to learn, no real adjustment needed for any new faces in the locker room (because there really aren't any...) and plenty of the guys played in the off-season to stay in shape. Not every team has the luxury to start going at full steam because of the above like that.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Capt Brycey Poo
Im back baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlingBard56 View Post
I just mentioned this on the mainboard's "Josefson/Gionta goal" thread but figured I'd say this here. Anyone else notice that Josefson seems to be playing with less hesitation this season? He seems fearless and is a lot more physical than I remember him being.
I dont have any nails left on my fingers after last night watching him be so relentless on the ice. Dont want him to break his clavicle or something again.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:28 AM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
He's been making saves that I wonder how he did it. Stuff he has no business stopping, but does. Vintage Marty is back to start the season.
Top 5 in wins, svp%, gaa, and shutouts!

Old
01-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Mgd31

Does anyone think Marty should have had the second one? Looked like a really, really weird shot to give up or I may have missed something

Old
01-26-2013, 11:44 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlingBard56 View Post
Yes.

Wish that could be said when talking about his scoring opportunities. He looks like a scared puppy. Could use some confidence in his shot.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:58 AM
hlaverty06

I am not sure about you guys but Steve Bernier brings nothing really special at all to this team

Old
01-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

Watching last night's game, it's pretty obvious Lou has to go get another Top 6 winger. He may even need to add another bottom six forward for depth if we plan on making a push in the playoffs.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:10 PM
OOOOIIIO
Binary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor Zach View Post
Watching last night's game, it's pretty obvious Lou has to go get another Top 6 winger. He may even need to add another bottom six forward for depth if we plan on making a push in the playoffs.
I honestly think we will see Butler back up here and Tedenby sent down before we trade for a top 6 player, and I think Darche signs next week when we send Matteau down (he has been great, but he isnt going to be a difference maker this year, I dont think Lou will waste a year of that contract). Add in the addition of Henrique and I dont think we will see movement on this team for a while.

Now if one of the many teams desperate for defense cracks and throws Lou a fantasitc deal thing will change, but I think we stand firm... for better or for worse. I dont like where this leads for Larsson... unless we start rotating defensemen.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:11 PM
Devil X
Next man up!

Send a message via AIM to Devil X
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
I am not sure about you guys but Steve Bernier brings nothing really special at all to this team
Bernier is part of that insane 4th line (3rd line this year) that last night had some playoff flashes. He is also supposed to be the man infront of the net on the second PP i believe. He is physical and stands up for teammates but has some hockey skill.

He brings stuff to the team just the little things people dont always notice.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:11 PM
battlingBard56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Zachy Poo View Post
I dont have any nails left on my fingers after last night watching him be so relentless on the ice. Dont want him to break his clavicle or something again.
I think most of his freak injuries came from being hesitant regarding physical play. Someone I talked to made a good point saying that almost each time Josefson's been hurt it was following rolling off of a check instead of engaging physically.
Also I remember Gio (younger Gio) saying something along the lines of "If you play afraid, you're going to get hurt" when discussing how he's been able to overcome his lack of height when playing hockey. I think that holds true for Josefson and the difference in how he's been playing the last couple games.

His wrist injury was just rotten luck though. Mehhh...

Old
01-26-2013, 12:12 PM
FirmestPiano

Matteau practicing on the top line, huh.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:12 PM
battlingBard56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
Yes.

Wish that could be said when talking about his scoring opportunities. He looks like a scared puppy. Could use some confidence in his shot.
Yeah I agree. Goals'll come if he stays healthy. Gotta think that's been a big reason he hasn't been able to break out offensively aside from assists.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:13 PM
JMarce

I guess Teddy will be sent down soon, can't see him sticking with the way he's playing and they're treating him. Interesting that Matteau is skating with the top line in his place.

@TGfireandice Looks like Matteau will be skating today on the top line with Zajac and Kovalchuk. Tedenby dropped to 4th line with Josefson anad Janssen.

@TGfireandice Devs' lines today: Matteau-Zajac-Kovalchuk; Zubrus-Elias-Clarkson; Carter-Gionta-Bernier; Tedenby-Josefson-Jansen; Extras: Barch, Darche.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:25 PM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

Its complete BS how the coaching staff have treated Tedenby. They didn't give the guy a chance, he started playing like he was scared to be benched again and I don't blame him.

Really disappointed that they managed to break Tedenby

Speaking of breaking, I am concerned about a possible trade involving the Devils. We seem to have a closely nit locker-room and Lou needs to be careful about not breaking it up too badly. I understand that a defenseman needs to go eventually, but with the way the team is playing, I think Lou has plenty of time to make a move and I don't want to see him rush and hinder the team chemistry

Old
01-26-2013, 12:25 PM
NjDevsRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
He had a very solid game yesterday. We need that big body and he was great along the boards last night, good puck possession player in the corners.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:32 PM
tycobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarce View Post
I guess Teddy will be sent down soon, can't see him sticking with the way he's playing and they're treating him. Interesting that Matteau is skating with the top line in his place.

@TGfireandice Looks like Matteau will be skating today on the top line with Zajac and Kovalchuk. Tedenby dropped to 4th line with Josefson anad Janssen.

@TGfireandice Devs' lines today: Matteau-Zajac-Kovalchuk; Zubrus-Elias-Clarkson; Carter-Gionta-Bernier; Tedenby-Josefson-Jansen; Extras: Barch, Darche.
The only way Matteau stays up (less than 2% chance in my mind) is if they think he would gel with the 1st line. He has more skill than Palmieri and is similar in size. I just find it odd that he plays so few minutes. Only Barch and Janssen have averaged less.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Zachy Poo View Post
I think he'll be fine. Much is made of his fragility, but his two major injuries have been things he couldn't control. Anybody going into the boards like he did would break their collarbone, and the other absence was because Pandolfo slashed him. Nothing you can do about those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgd31 View Post
Does anyone think Marty should have had the second one? Looked like a really, really weird shot to give up or I may have missed something
I think it deflected on the way in, but ya, Marty's save attempt on that one was strange.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Teddy looked soo bad yesterday. Now hes on the 4th line. Hes playing scared, knowing that if he messes up he will be benched. They need to just let him play.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:40 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Matteau's just getting a look on the top line the way Tedenby got a 'look' last night. Only difference being he'll probably get the first shift and a little more playing time to give him a thrill with family and friends in the stands.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:42 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Teddy looked soo bad yesterday. Now hes on the 4th line. Hes playing scared, knowing that if he messes up he will be benched. They need to just let him play.
Exactly! What I've been saying. Just let him ****ing play

Closed Thread