HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 11:12 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Richey View Post
If Henrique is coming back sending Matteau to Juniors would create room for him but we'd still have to move someone else to sign Darche.
Send Barch or Cam to Blainville Broisbriand with Matteau... they need it as much, if not more, then Stefan.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:16 AM
CerebralGenesis

I'll take Darche over Matt Anderson probably

Old
01-30-2013, 11:18 AM
Jack Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I'll take Darche over Matt Anderson probably
Yea but that scenario still requires us to play either Janssen or Barch regularly and I'd prefer we not do that.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:22 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Darche is light years better then Janssen, Barch and Anderson, who wasn't all that bad in his 1st NHL game yesterday. He's a solid bottom 6 forward that can contribute offensively from time to time, play the PK and not hurt his team with bonehead defensive plays.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:24 AM
Jack Griffin

I'm hoping Barch's decent game last night will land Janssen on waivers but I doubt that will happen.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:24 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

re: the enforcers, they play their role. The goal is to make the playoffs, then win when we get there. If enforcers wear down our playoff competition and prevent our guys from getting worn down quite as much, it'll make winning in the playoffs that much easier. So long as we keep racking up points, play the enforcers as much as you want.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Classic Devil
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
If this was a full season, I'd honestly expect Matteau to stay up. He could sit here and there had have some growing room.

But is it worth burning an ELC year on a 1/2 season?
Truthfully, the "it's only a 1/2 season" argument doesn't make a ton of sense to me. If Lou and Pete believe that (1) Matteau is the best option for the LW spot on the third line, and (2) Matteau's development isn't going to be permanently stunted by a premature entrance into the NHL, then I can't see him going back.

If he does go back, it's because Lou and Pete did not believe one of those two things.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:28 AM
MartysBetterThanYou

One thing I noticed from last night: Barch was actually moving the puck and making passes. I think he even had a shot on goal. This makes me realize he is light years better than Cam Jannsen and much more fit to fill the role of the modern enforcer (though I would still love a Lucic-type). Eventually, Matteau will be with the big club on a permanent basis and he can do what young Clarkie used to do before Clarkson became a legitimate ppg threat and we won't need a goon, but until then I would much rather have Barch than Jannsen.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Truthfully, the "it's only a 1/2 season" argument doesn't make a ton of sense to me. If Lou and Pete believe that (1) Matteau is the best option for the LW spot on the third line, and (2) Matteau's development isn't going to be permanently stunted by a premature entrance into the NHL, then I can't see him going back.

If he does go back, it's because Lou and Pete did not believe one of those two things.
I'm 85% in agreement with you. I just think that the truth of the salary cap era means things like that have to be considered.

If he was a sure fire stand out player, that idea never crosses my mind. But if you're leaning on a fence, does that fact help tip you in either direction? That's the sign of the times.

In reality, how often do they Devils bring guys up from junior even for a short stint? How often do those players actually stick? This kid is impressive any way you slice it up.

01-30-2013, 11:29 AM
xdl1

Quote:
If this was a full season, I'd honestly expect Matteau to stay up. He could sit here and there had have some growing room.

But is it worth burning an ELC year on a 1/2 season?
Depends on two things I'd guess. Does he have the talent and ability to command higher than 900k once his ELC expires? Is it worth keeping him here if he is likely to go 40GP 2-8-10 -2?

Don't get me wrong, he does a lot of things right. I just question his ability to produce points (especially having to play with Josefson eventually).

Old
01-30-2013, 11:31 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

I don't think the ELC crap matters. He'll still be a RFA when his ELC is up, so he won't command a huge raise regardless. The only things that matter IMO are whether he can help the team now, and if his development will be screwed by us keeping him up. That's why I think he's going to stay.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:31 AM
Classic Devil
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
I'm 85% in agreement with you. I just think that the truth of the salary cap era means things like that have to be considered.

If he was a sure fire stand out player, that idea never crosses my mind. But if you're leaning on a fence, does that fact help tip you in either direction? That's the sign of the times.

In reality, how often do they Devils bring guys up from junior even for a short stint? How often do those players actually stick? This kid is impressive any way you slice it up.
I can't even remember the last time Lou had a guy up from juniors for a tryout. It might have been Niedermayer.

Edit: I think it was Niedermayer, who had a 4 game stint in 1991-1992.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:34 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefatsurfer View Post
I don't think the ELC crap matters. He'll still be a RFA when his ELC is up, so he won't command a huge raise regardless. The only things that matter IMO are whether he can help the team now, and if his development will be screwed by us keeping him up. That's why I think he's going to stay.
Judging how Lou operated with Josefson last year, or two years ago (can't remember)... I'm convinced that burning a year of ELC is the last thing on his mind. He and DeBoer especially are in "win now mode", so if they decide he's the guy they need, he'll stay in NJ.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Cowbell232

Yes, he'll be an RFA, but still. You know Lou, "When you have time on side, you use it."

But looking at the Devils history of bringing up junior try outs make me think he sticks. We just don't have the depth to want to send him back. He's made some mental errors, yes, but we just don't have the depth.

Edit: I think the fact that Zubrus is essentially billeting him goes a long way. Having a young kid like that on his own is very difficult to want to do for Lou. I know things like that weigh on him, because a good hockey player is important, but a good person is just as much to him. Much like the Swedes being watched for by Hedberg/Tallinder/etc. If Matteau doesn't have that connection with Zubrus, I'd be leaning much more heavily to returning him to Jr. Not to mention he's got a father than can help him cope much better than most families...

Old
01-30-2013, 12:00 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

I don't care about "burning" a year of the ELC...very overrated concept IMO

however, that doesn't mean I think Matteau should necessarily stay up

Old
01-30-2013, 12:05 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

vCash: 50
If they had played him ten plus minutes in even one game it'd be one thing. Is it worth it to have him around playing 7-9 minutes a night?

Old
01-30-2013, 12:07 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
Cam Janssen placed on waivers by Devils, per @DarrenDreger.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:07 PM
njdevilsownnhl*

Send a message via AIM to njdevilsownnhl*
I demand a trade for Ryder!! The guy is an absolute stud in the playoffs.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:08 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Janssen waived means Henrique is coming back, right ??

Old
01-30-2013, 12:09 PM
MadDog172430
Palm Trees

Well, well.

Old
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
Cam Janssen placed on waivers by Devils, per @DarrenDreger.

* Darche signing a new deal with the Devils in 3, 2, 1...

Old
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartysBetterThanYou View Post
One thing I noticed from last night: Barch was actually moving the puck and making passes. I think he even had a shot on goal. This makes me realize he is light years better than Cam Jannsen and much more fit to fill the role of the modern enforcer (though I would still love a Lucic-type). Eventually, Matteau will be with the big club on a permanent basis and he can do what young Clarkie used to do before Clarkson became a legitimate ppg threat and we won't need a goon, but until then I would much rather have Barch than Jannsen.
While a small sample size, I noticed this as well

Barch is a better skater speed wise and better with the puck than both Janssen and Boulton are/were

Old
01-30-2013, 12:10 PM
Captain Lou

Send a message via AIM to Captain Lou
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Richey View Post
I'm hoping Barch's decent game last night will land Janssen on waivers but I doubt that will happen.
It appears your prayers have been answered.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

praise be!

Old
01-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Oroku Saki*

Peace out Cam.

Closed Thread