HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 10:15 AM
MauDevils

vCash: 500
A guy who is holding his team hostage...doesn't seem like a move we would be involved in. I expect the Flyers to make a knee jerk reaction and overpay for him.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:17 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
PK is not of the character type Lou chases, especially at that price tag on payroll and asset cost going the other way. Skillsets aside, it's a desperate move and with a stockpile of D already and being 2-0 the Devils are not close to desperate.
I'm not suggesting that we make a push for his services, just that if he's actually available, we should at least inquire about it and see where it goes. I'm just saying that I wouldn't mind sacrificing Larsson if it meant landing Subban.

I don't get the "character type" thing. Subban is a stud on the ice and likes to voice his opinion, what's wrong with that? Do our players have to be brainwashed to play in NJ? We had one of the dirtiest players in the game in Pepe Lemieux and it didn't stop Lou from acquiring him.

Old
Loyal Patrik
I Like Hockey.

I would love PK on this team. Not sure what to trade, maybe two d-men and a prospect to bring back PK and a forward. Highly doubt Lou pursues trading for him, though.

Old
OOOOIIIO
Binary

Rather have a forward if we are trading things... not something that we already have a ton of.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:19 AM
SteveCangialosi123

We don't need another defenseman lol...we need to get rid of one. unless we traded like tallinder, volch, prospect, and a 2nd or something I wouldn't do it. In any trade we make we need to be making a net loss in the number of defensemen we have.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:20 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauDevils View Post
A guy who is holding his team hostage...doesn't seem like a move we would be involved in. I expect the Flyers to make a knee jerk reaction and overpay for him.
And they'll benefit greatly if they do land him. How is landing a stud d-men, who's not even entering his prime yet but is already taged as a #1, be a knee jerk reaction?

Sometimes, I wish Lou would had those types of "reactions" once every decade. We landed Kovy at the deadline and that's fan****ingtastic but outside of that move, we've been pretty invisible regarding the trade departement for a long long time now.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:21 AM
Devils731

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
I don't get the "character type" thing. Subban is a stud on the ice and likes to voice his opinion, what's wrong with that? Do our players have to be brainwashed to play in NJ? We had one of the dirtiest players in the game in Pepe Lemieux and it didn't stop Lou from acquiring him.
One reason the Devils have success, even when they appear less talented than other teams, is that they have players that buy into a team concept, putting the team first before themselves. Subban, from what I've read, is more concerned about his own play than the team play.

We can see guys that become Devils players, even when they're amazing talents, Stevens and Kovy making big changes to their game, hurting their own stats, to help the team even if they're arguing hurting themselves.

If the Devils traded for Subban I believe it would only because Lou or someone else in the organization know Subban personally and believes him to be a solid individual who would put the team first if put in an atmosphere like the Devils.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:23 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCangialosi123 View Post
We don't need another defenseman lol...we need to get rid of one. unless we traded like tallinder, volch, prospect, and a 2nd or something I wouldn't do it. In any trade we make we need to be making a net loss in the number of defensemen we have.
I agree... but when someone with the skillset that PK Subban has is made available, you inquire. Don't tell me that PK wouldn't have a spot if we somehow landed him via a trade.

You get the player you want and deal with the rest later. You move Tallinder for picks/prospects and voilà, you've cleared a roster spot. It's not as easy as I make it out to be but it's not as complicated as some would think either.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:25 AM
OOOOIIIO
Binary

Quote:
I agree... but when someone with the skillset that PK Subban has is made available, you inquire. Don't tell me that PK wouldn't have a spot if we somehow landed him via a trade.

You get the player you want and deal with the rest later. You move Tallinder for picks/prospects and voilà, you've cleared a roster spot. It's not as easy as I make it out to be but it's not as complicated as some would think either.
And if the price is to high? I would rather not over pay for a 'big profile' player to join a team with an already bloated defense core. Lets not forget, we would still need to sign him to a contract.

Pass.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:29 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils731 View Post
One reason the Devils have success, even when they appear less talented than other teams, is that they have players that buy into a team concept, putting the team first before themselves. Subban, from what I've read, is more concerned about his own play than the team play.

We can see guys that become Devils players, even when they're amazing talents, Stevens and Kovy making big changes to their game, hurting their own stats, to help the team even if they're arguing hurting themselves.

If the Devils traded for Subban I believe it would only because Lou or someone else in the organization know Subban personally and believes him to be a solid individual who would put the team first if put in an atmosphere like the Devils.
This negation has nothing to do with Subban's on ice performances, quite the contrary. He's Montreal's #1 d-men and the Habs are offering him a contract that ressembles the one Del Zotto got from the Rags, wich is basically a slap in the face IMO after asking the kid to almost carry their blueline on his back for the past 2 years.

That's complete BS when you take into consideration that MDZ spent a entire season in the AHL before getting called up again and playing "well" with the Rangers, while PK was eating over 25 minutes per night when Markov went down with a knee injury, for the past 2 seasons now. He's been their #1 for the past 2 years, logged heavy minutes in every situation possible, racks up pts like it's no one's business and plays a physical game to boot.

All that and the kid is just 23 years old. He might not be worth "Doughty money"... but he sure as hell isn't worth "MDZ money" either. When you have a gem on your team, you treat him like one, especially if you're asking him to carry a unit on his back. It's a sign of respect IMO more then anything else but that's just my pov.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:30 AM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Send his ass to EDM

Old
01-24-2013, 10:32 AM
Devils731

Quote:
This negation has nothing to do with Subban's on ice performances,
My post had almost nothing to do with on ice performance or his current holdout, you missed the point if you wanted to use his on ice performance in response to what I said.

The Devils have succeeded in many ways because of their team culture, Lou routinely prunes guys that he doesn't think fit that culture or are trying to change it. Hard work and team first are musts, I don't think many people consider Subban a team first guy.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:35 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
My post had almost nothing to do with on ice performance or his current holdout, you missed the point if you wanted to use his on ice performance in response to what I said.

The Devils have succeeded in many ways because of their team culture, Lou routinely prunes guys that he doesn't think fit that culture or are trying to change it. Hard work and team first are musts, I don't think many people consider Subban a team first guy.
What makes you think that he's not a team first guy... that's what I want to know.

When I see this kid play, he plays with a edge, with passion and to me, that's a sign that he wants to do whatever's possible to win and that right there is a sign of being a solid teamate, no?

Old
01-24-2013, 10:35 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Subban for Hemsky + MPS

Old
01-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Devils731

Quote:
What makes you think that he's not a team first guy... that's what I want to know.
Google "PK Subban is Selfish" and watch the hits that come up.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1090681

Coaching staff had the luxury of sending the message that the selfishness is something they can't have. He said that the coaching staff made the right decision because they need Subban because he is a good player but what they don't need is the undisciplined and selfish behavior.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...-lot-to-learn/

MONTREAL — Montreal Canadiens assistant coach Randy Ladouceur made it clear he wasn’t happy with defenceman P.K. Subban’s performance during Tuesday’s practice.

“You’ve been out here for 40 minutes, wake the f— up,” bellowed Ladouceur.

--------

Just as 2 quick examples from only 1 bad word in Google.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:41 AM
Devils731

Another article with some stuff:

http://montrealhockeytalk.com/blogs/...ght-on-subban/

"Since his arrival in Montreal in 2009, there have been unconfirmed rumblings from anonymous sources that Subban’s attitude rubbed his veteran teammates the wrong way. Circumstantial evidence has long suggested there’s something to the rumours, whether it was then-defence partner Hal Gill calling Subban an a-hole in front of reporters last season, or Tomas Plekanec getting into a fight with Subban at practice earlier this month."

"Appearing last night in the RDS gabfest l’Antichambre, an uncharacteristically candid Jacques Martin painted Subban as a selfish know-it-all with a lot of growing up to do. The normally circumspect former coach said that Subban frustrated him as a player and got on the nerves of his teammates, who openly wondered whether P.K. was playing for P.K. or for the team."

Old
01-24-2013, 10:41 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
Subban for Hemsky + MPS
If the Oilers really wanted to make a splash, they'd move Yakupov for Subban. Extra pieces would have to be involved as well but that can benefit both sides IMO.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:46 AM
CerebralGenesis

I just think that it will cost too much and we aren't exactly in a position to be sending out assets left and right with a looming lost 1st round pick and cupboard that isn't exactly stock full. We do have some yummy D though, but that probably won't be enough.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:49 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I just think that it will cost too much and we aren't exactly in a position to be sending out assets left and right with a looming lost 1st round pick and cupboard that isn't exactly stock full. We do have some yummy D though, but that probably won't be enough.
Give them our francophones except Brodeur. They have double value!

Matteau + Bernier for Subban!

Old
01-24-2013, 10:59 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Another article with some stuff:

http://montrealhockeytalk.com/blogs/...ght-on-subban/

"Since his arrival in Montreal in 2009, there have been unconfirmed rumblings from anonymous sources that Subban’s attitude rubbed his veteran teammates the wrong way. Circumstantial evidence has long suggested there’s something to the rumours, whether it was then-defence partner Hal Gill calling Subban an a-hole in front of reporters last season, or Tomas Plekanec getting into a fight with Subban at practice earlier this month."

"Appearing last night in the RDS gabfest l’Antichambre, an uncharacteristically candid Jacques Martin painted Subban as a selfish know-it-all with a lot of growing up to do. The normally circumspect former coach said that Subban frustrated him as a player and got on the nerves of his teammates, who openly wondered whether P.K. was playing for P.K. or for the team."

Trust me, since I live in Montreal, I'm very aware of the PK drama that's been going on over the past couple of seasons.

He might be a little bit of a hot head but it's up to the organisation to do something about it and not let the kid do whatever he wants whenever he wants. Having a solid core of veterans is important to every team and that's when they need to take charge.

I can garantee you that it wouldn't fly with guys like Marty, Elias, etc, etc, etc... There was a country club atmosphere these past couple of years and it didn't help when players like Cammalleri and others were part of a click.

It's up to the veterans to clear the air not take sides. Anyways, I doubt we're landing PK but I wouldn't be against it.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:00 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
Give them our francophones except Brodeur. They have double value!

Matteau + Bernier for Subban!
Add Gélinas and we're golden

Old
01-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Devils Insiders

DevilsInsiders Hot and Cold

Check out our first edition of Hot and Cold.

http://devilsinsiders.com/2013/01/24/hot-and-cold-whos-playing-well-and-whos-not-for-the-devils/

Old
01-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Devils731

Quote:
Trust me, since I live in Montreal, I'm very aware of the PK drama that's been going on over the past couple of seasons.
If you're aware of all this then I'm not sure how you could ask why someone wouldn't think he's a team player then. His teammates and coaches don't seem to think he is.

I obviously don't personally know, neither does anyone outside his team and people who know him, but the evidence that I can see says that he isn't. I stand by that Lou wouldn't trade for him unless he felt Subban was getting an unfair reputation or felt he could change in a different environment.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:09 AM
Devils731

Per TG, Zubrus and Tedenby have switched lines. Tedenby had some good chemistry with Kovy when they played together, so we'll see how that goes.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
I like it . Now just put Darche on the 3rd line instead of Barch/Janssen and I'm happy

Closed Thread