HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 12:04 PM
njdevil26
I hate avocados

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brovalchuk View Post
Kovy has thrown down and fought before, does that really mean we want him to be doing that thought? What happens when he breaks his hand or takes another injury because he had to be the one to fight since now everyone is just gonna stand up for themselves. How about at that rangers game when there were 3 fights instead of putting our tough guys out we put out Elias, Josefson and Henrique... Im sure that will go great if one of them decides to take the bait and fight.
But but but I didn't say Kovy

Old
01-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Pattysaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils731 View Post
Per TG, Zubrus and Tedenby have switched lines. Tedenby had some good chemistry with Kovy when they played together, so we'll see how that goes.
I give them three shifts before Pete flips them back.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:16 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
It is true. Volchenkov had 2 goals on 63 shots for a 3.2 S%. Subban had 7 goals on 205 shots for a 3.4 S%.

I rather we trade for Benn than Subban.
Shooting percentage is like the 30th stat I'd look at before trading for a defenseman, especially with Volch's limited sample size (and one of those goals Kovy laid up on a tee during a 2-on-1). The fact there's a 142-shot difference between two guys who played a full season is a lot more telling, both in terms of offense created and total icetime.

That said I don't want Subban or his baggage either (not to mention the contract he'd have for the next five years compared to the contract Larsson would have).

Old
01-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattysaurus View Post
i give them three shifts before teddy rides the pine.
Ftfy

Old
01-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Luke3026
When you're burned..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils731 View Post
I'm fine with Goons, I'm just not fine with Janssen. I'd like my goon to be able to chip in 5-10 points in a season and play some sort of D, rather than be a crushing black hole to his lines offense and defense.
This. I prefer 5-goals-a-year goons, rather than 5-goals-a-career goons. In this new age of hockey, you gotta bring more to the table than fighting, in my book. Do we really want to double shift our stars and grind them into the ground so the Janssen's of the world can get their 3 minutes of ice time?

Old
01-24-2013, 12:32 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
WTF... is this serious? Jesus Christ

Dear lord jesus, Zajac will have Tedenby and Kovy on his wings? He deserves a raise.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
It is true. Volchenkov had 2 goals on 63 shots for a 3.2 S%. Subban had 7 goals on 205 shots for a 3.4 S%.

I rather we trade for Benn than Subban.
I'd rather Benn as well, but Subban's shooting percentage will definitely increase. It was 7.1% in 2011.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:42 PM
tycobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Shooting percentage is like the 30th stat I'd look at before trading for a defenseman, especially with Volch's limited sample size (and one of those goals Kovy laid up on a tee during a 2-on-1). The fact there's a 142-shot difference between two guys who played a full season is a lot more telling, both in terms of offense created and total icetime.

That said I don't want Subban or his baggage either (not to mention the contract he'd have for the next five years compared to the contract Larsson would have).
I think think the shot difference is so large because of PP time. I agree that shooting % for only 1 season is nearly meaningless, but a 3% shooting % is really bad. Volch's career is 3% (607 shots) which makes sense since his shot is only good enough for a rebound.

Subban may become a great player, but I rather not risk all the assets if he only stays at a #2-3 type defender. I rather get a true #1 D for all the assets it would take to get Subban.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:48 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
I think think the shot difference is so large because of PP time. I agree that shooting % for only 1 season is nearly meaningless, but a 3% shooting % is really bad. Volch's career is 3% (607 shots) which makes sense since his shot is only good enough for a rebound.

Subban may become a great player, but I rather not risk all the assets if he only stays at a #2-3 type defender. I rather get a true #1 D for all the assets it would take to get Subban.
Subban is capable of 50pts, great physical play, and has been Montreal's best possession defender the last two seasons. He's a #1 in my books.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
I'd rather Benn as well, but Subban's shooting percentage will definitely increase. It was 7.1% in 2011.
Not to mention that he threw the puck on the net more than 200 ****ing times! How many attempts did Zidlicky have?

Quote:
Subban is capable of 50pts, great physical play, and has been Montreal's best possession defender the last two seasons. He's a #1 in my books.
Ditto.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:53 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Zidlicky had only 70 shots in 63 games.

Took quite a few more in the playoffs, though. 43 in 24 games.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:58 PM
CerebralGenesis

3rded

Subban is uber talented. Thinking of trying to snab him and benn in fantasy since the world functions as a "what have you done for me lately"

Old
01-24-2013, 01:00 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Zidlicky had only 70 shots in 63 games.

Took quite a few more in the playoffs, though. 43 in 24 games.
How many after he came to NJ, though?
One of his reasons for wanting a trade/being on the outs with the Wild was they wanted him to play a style that didn't let him focus on offense. I think that hinders those numbers a bit.

Regardless, having PK on the team would be phenomenal, no doubt.
I just don't think it's worth it to clear the cupboard for him, considering what we already have.

The defense is already pretty solid, it's the one area of the game that doesn't have to be worried about at this point in time.

The price would not be worth the return on him.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

Subban takes way too many penalties for my liking. Led all defenders last year with 119 PIMs and led the league in minors with 47. (Hartnell and Perry were 2 and 3). I'd stiill take him though, his skill is undeniable.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Nick0930

If he can leave his attitude in Montreal, I'd be fine with PK on the team. The last cancer in the locker room made us stink on the ice until he was traded.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
DeBoer said lines in today's practice were "definitely not set in stone" and wasn't sure if they'll use them in game Friday.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
DeBoer said coaches will discuss the lineup for Friday this afternoon. He didn't commit to Barch playing, but it looks like he will.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

I personally don`t think there`s anything wrong with his attitude. Grumpy vets needs to take him less seriously, that`s all. It`s not like he`s not respecting his coaches/working as hard as anyone.

Plekanec doesn`t like anyone who`s intimidating (Czechs rarely do) and Richards is an intimidating player himself, sure he doesn`t like his antics. Every player who wants to become elite needs to have a bit of self-righteousness in him (players like Richards will tell you how you need to be humble and stuff and look at them, it`s all ********). Subban isn`t doing anything wrong IMO. Heck, remember when he destroyed Larsson? He came back to give him a tap. Richards sure as hell wouldn`t do that, even if that was Lidstrom.

I feel like it`s the same thing like when Ovechkin celebrated scoring his 50th with "the hot stick" and Canadian media bashed him for weeks, with Grapes leading the inquisition. Those people need to light up a bit, stop using double standards and being biased. No reason to believe this will become a soccer/football hybrid league with divers and apes dancing after every play.

So what? He`s black and cheerful, likes to talk and get under your skin. When gritty 3rd liners do that, everybody`s like "atta boy, good Canadian/American kid". When Subban does that, everything is "disrespectful". Disrespectful my ass.

No fun league.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauDevils View Post
A guy who is holding his team hostage...doesn't seem like a move we would be involved in. I expect the Flyers to make a knee jerk reaction and overpay for him.
In no way trying to compare the two players, but Lou did put up with Scott Niedermayer's hold out back in the day. I'm sure there were a couple of others that were similar, or almost reached that same point. However my age at the time, and the time that has since passed leaves my memory a little fuzzy. Not saying Lou wouldn't think anything of the way Subban is handling his contract situation. But I think Lou's mindset is that for the right player, its not an automatic grounds to lose interest in the guy being part of your organization.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:26 PM
The Green Unit
Lost Cosmonaut

Kovalchuk keeps improving defensively, this line could be surprisingly good. Let's face it, if Tedenby doesn't produce offensively playing with Kovalchuk and Zajac, he never will.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:38 PM
Devil X

Send a message via AIM to Devil X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashintangibles View Post
Kovalchuk keeps improving defensively, this line could be surprisingly good. Let's face it, if Tedenby doesn't produce offensively playing with Kovalchuk and Zajac, he never will.
Fair but he also cant get 4 shifts then sat for the rest of the game. He also cant be expected to join a line and in 2 or 3 games get a ton of goals, they all need time to mesh.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:57 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Why did the Devils move Kovy?

“When you’re playing your proper side, you’re back isn’t to the play in all zones. You’re facing the play defensively and offensively a lot more than when you’re playing on your off-side.

“And this is a league where coaches find tendencies. If you do the same thing, or score from the same area year after year, eventually those things get closed down. You see it every year. (Steven) Stamkos had 25 goals on the power play 3-4 years ago and mostly from one spot. A year later you’re at 12 or 15. That’s what the coaching at this level does. You have to get creative with your best players and find different ways to get looks at the net.”

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...medium=twitter

I guess that explains that. Kovy's definitely not going back to LW anytime soon, then.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:06 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post

“When you’re playing your proper side, you’re back isn’t to the play in all zones. You’re facing the play defensively and offensively a lot more than when you’re playing on your off-side.

“And this is a league where coaches find tendencies. If you do the same thing, or score from the same area year after year, eventually those things get closed down. You see it every year. (Steven) Stamkos had 25 goals on the power play 3-4 years ago and mostly from one spot. A year later you’re at 12 or 15. That’s what the coaching at this level does. You have to get creative with your best players and find different ways to get looks at the net.”

I guess that explains that. Kovy's definitely not going back to LW anytime soon, then.
Which reminds me... Ovechkin isn`t smart enough to make the transition, unlike Kovy. Sorry Oatsie.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:14 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post

"Look, this is our gameplan from now on... Just pass it to Will"

Old
01-24-2013, 02:24 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
Which reminds me... Ovechkin isn`t smart enough to make the transition, unlike Kovy. Sorry Oatsie.
people made the same baseless assumptions about kovy. not saying you're wrong, but give him a chance? the cold war is over right?

Old
01-24-2013, 02:29 PM
apice3*

I'd love Subban on this team, but we don't need by any means. That point alone makes it easy to outbid us.

Closed Thread