HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

What can we (Jets fans) expect from Montoya?

Old
01-22-2013, 12:12 PM
OnionPuck

vCash: 50
What can we (Jets fans) expect from Montoya?

Just wanted to know what the scoop/general opinion is on Montoya.

1) Were you guys sad to see him leave?
2) (Most important question probably) What are his technical strengths and weaknesses? How agile is he? How's his compete level?
3) I know he suffered a concussion last year... are there any other health issues with this guy?
4) Kind of a stupid question, but... is he a career backup, or does he have the potential to be a starter?

On an aside I like some of the footage I saw of his play and I think he has a great attitude. The fact that he's Cuban born is pretty interesting too. Oh, and of course he has a killer mask now.

Thanks Isles fans! Good luck this season!

OnionPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Veteran journeyman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onion View Post

2) (Most important question probably) What are his technical strengths and weaknesses? How agile is he? How's his compete level?
3) I know he suffered a concussion last year... are there any other health issues with this guy?
4) Kind of a stupid question, but... is he a career backup, or does he have the potential to be a starter?

On an aside I like some of the footage I saw of his play and I think he has a great attitude. The fact that he's Cuban born is pretty interesting too. Oh, and of course he has a killer mask now.

Backup. That's all I'd expect out of him. He can put some very solid games together, but is just about always good for one really soft goal per outing. A big plus with him is he doesn't really get rattled. He just seems like a very casual person in general, so things that might get into the head of a more intense person...they just seem to roll off of Montoya and he regroups fairly well.

As far as sad to see him leave...I wouldn't have minded him coming back as Nabokov's backup this season. Would have been a good tandem while allowing our young goalies another year in the AHL to develop. But our goalie situation, and why that wasn't possible, is well known, and I don't want to get into it all here.

Montoya seemed like a good teammate who was well-liked, and he's capable of putting some solid stretches of games together should Pavalec go down with an injury. But I wouldn't expect him to take over the starting job there long-term and lead a march to the playoffs. Those are just my observations anyway.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:22 PM
BorzNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onion View Post

I was a fan of Montoya and was sad to see him sign elsewhere - but Nabby was much better last year and as the poster above said - we have goaltender issues on the roster.

I would like to see Montoya get a shot on a team without the defensive issues last years NYI had.. I think hes a very underrated player and has the ability to be very effective in stretches.

BorzNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:41 PM
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

he looked like he could be a starter before evander kane concussed him. he wasn't the same after that hit

It Was 4 to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:47 PM
OlTimeHockey

I'd put his ceiling at tandem goalie, so I say he can start. He's not elite level but he showed us he could play well, and was reliable unlike out wheelchair hot dog vendor.

I'd be very comfortable with him on the bench as well. As said above, very calm demeanor, so coming in, he gives your team a chance.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:19 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I'd put his ceiling at tandem goalie, so I say he can start. He's not elite level but he showed us he could play well, and was reliable unlike out wheelchair hot dog vendor.

I'd be very comfortable with him on the bench as well. As said above, very calm demeanor, so coming in, he gives your team a chance.
yeah, Al's ceiling is pretty much Dwayne Roloson.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:24 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpOceanless View Post
he looked like he could be a starter before evander kane concussed him. he wasn't the same after that hit
Agreed, prior to his concussion, he was outplaying Nabakov. His stats on a terrible defensive team, was actually quite impressive before his injury.

Look at his stats 2010-2011, amazing considering we were terrible defensively, and most goalies except, Kevin Poulin, struggled on the Isle.

2010-11 New York Islanders NHL 21 1 2 1154 46 1 1 2.39 9 5 5 539 0.921

Then last season, he was doing really well prior to his injury, then he only got a few starts afterwards, tough to keep the good games consecutive when you start so infrequently.

2011-12 New York Islanders NHL 31 0 2 1720 89 3 0 3.11 9 11 5 743 0.893

Still, if you add everything together: 2874 minutes 2.82 ga .895 sp 18-16-10 record, very reasonable.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:28 PM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpOceanless View Post
Agree, he was tremendous his first year with the Isles and very good in the second until Kane's hit. He wasn't close to being the same after. The potential is there however and prior to the injury the more he played the better he played.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:39 PM
Fantom

i think he could be a starter in the nhl. Not the best starters but a guy who would fall in a b+ type of starter. Think along the lines of a Dwayne Rolston
mike smith

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Great goalie and even better guy. Asset in the locker room, I was sad to see him leave.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:45 PM
steveat

He needs a lot of time to warm up. He needs like at least 10 games to get the juices working...

The biggest issue with him is that he gives up HUGE rebounds. IF he can control that...he'd be a pretty good goalie.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
He needs a lot of time to warm up. He needs like at least 10 games to get the juices working...

The biggest issue with him is that he gives up HUGE rebounds. IF he can control that...he'd be a pretty good goalie.
This!

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:26 PM
startainfection

if kane didnt run him would could as for a consistant ~.915-.917 save percentage, that concussion messed him up pretty bad

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:54 PM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
if kane didnt run him would could as for a consistant ~.915-.917 save percentage, that concussion messed him up pretty bad
100% right and when you look at his numbers the year before he looked like a top 10 goalie, but after Kane's run at him, Al was positively brutal. Hopefully he bounces back because he really seems like a great guy.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:05 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
His real name is Montero...or was it Toyota?

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Islander102

Agreed with others here. He looked like two totally different goalies pre and post Kane hit. Hoping he regains his pre Kane hit form because he seems like a great guy.

He is a pretty sound goalie (until Kane hit him) with his weakness being rebound control. He seems to get in front of everything but not catch pucks shot right into his chest or glove. Other than that, there isn't much to not like.

After Kane hit him he looked like a total sieve, but I hope he had enough time to shake out the cobwebs.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:30 PM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Agreed, prior to his concussion, he was outplaying Nabakov. His stats on a terrible defensive team, was actually quite impressive before his injury.

Look at his stats 2010-2011, amazing considering we were terrible defensively, and most goalies except, Kevin Poulin, struggled on the Isle.

2010-11 New York Islanders NHL 21 1 2 1154 46 1 1 2.39 9 5 5 539 0.921

Then last season, he was doing really well prior to his injury, then he only got a few starts afterwards, tough to keep the good games consecutive when you start so infrequently.

2011-12 New York Islanders NHL 31 0 2 1720 89 3 0 3.11 9 11 5 743 0.893

Still, if you add everything together: 2874 minutes 2.82 ga .895 sp 18-16-10 record, very reasonable.

I dont believe he was outplaying Nabby at all. Montoya was solid before the concussion but in a limited role. He rarely let the soft goals in. Once Montoya faced the better offenses in the league he was truly exposed. Very athletic goalie who is not a #1 but has a great attitude and will keep you in games. His ceiling to me is a career back up.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:20 PM
BKIsles

Montoya was very solid for us, flashed his true potential at the end of the '11 season. He had a few games where I thought he could be a long term solution for us. Maybe it was the injury, but he clearly wasn't as sharp in the '12 season. Even when he was playing well, he did seem to give up some headscratchers.

Probably a backup long-term, but as was mentioned above, if not for our Goalie issues, I would like to believe he would have been Nabby's backup this year.

BKIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:13 AM
crashthenet

Servicable pro capable of some good games.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:24 AM
xECK29x

Was very solid pre-concussion and could have panned out to be a 1B. Post-concussion though I think he is just going to end up being a solid backup.

Amazing locker room guy, great in interviews, does a lot of dip.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote