HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Towel guy done??

Old
02-10-2013, 08:51 AM
Rizzo90

vCash: 500
Towel guy done??

I heard the towel guy held up some sort of sign , that pissed of the blues & the fans on opening night & now, thank God everyone is ignoring him.....just askin if anyone knows what the hell he did, or what the sign said?? just curious

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 03-08-2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: personal attack
Rizzo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:25 AM
uncommonsense52
(blue bleeder 24-7)

If so, that's unfortunate. I like Towel Guy. One of the "tradition" things I expect when I go to Scottrade.

uncommonsense52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Big Al 2

I haven't heard what happened, he still does his thing but they don't show him on the video board like they used to

Big Al 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:57 AM
Linus

On opening night after the first goal he held up a sign that said something like "I'm still on vacation". I hadn't noticed, but now that Big Al 2 mentioned it, they haven't been showing him on the video board. They definitely did opening night though because that's how I read the sign.

Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:28 PM
STLBLUES44
LehteraschwenkSHoW

he's actually a really nice guy talked to him a few times leaving the game and he gave me a towel when i saw him leaving the frozen four a few years ago.

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:55 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Who cares? Have we won a with the Towel guy?

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:18 PM
moolah3i4
Long Live The Note.

..He's right here, he never left!

moolah3i4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:07 PM
OpenIceHit42

The sign said "I'm still negotiating".

However every game I've been to this year I've seen the towel guy doing his thing.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:04 PM
SirPaste
#HitchGonnaHitch

vCash: 150
Hes still there

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
The Notorious

vCash: 1050
He still does his thing at the games, But I do not think he is still "sponsored" by the team. My only evidence is that he has not been on the video screen ever since the opening night incident; which crossed the line IMO.

The organization can't kick him out, but i have noticed that a TON less people cheer for him when he's not on the big screen. It could be the start of his demise.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Rizzo90

Sat next to him a few times, didnt seem to friendly & had the "I am famous get out of my way" thing goin on. as a result my impression of him wasn't all that great, shoved a kid out of his way to "do his thing" & didnt even apologize. not cool

Rizzo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Blues88

Why would that sign **** anyone off?

Anecdote alert: When my family had season tickets in the mid-late 90's, we sat about 2 rows down from him. He was always accommodating to everyone in our section....even threw me a towel once.

What's the beef?

Blues88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:39 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 306
Ride the Syberg's bus with him. I really don't understand the hate that he gets from some people. The Blues have never given him anything. He doesn't get tickets, he supplies the towels, so why hate on him.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:53 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Ride the Syberg's bus with him. I really don't understand the hate that he gets from some people. The Blues have never given him anything. He doesn't get tickets, he supplies the towels, so why hate on him.
Absolutely!! He supplies all of his own stuff and his own tickets. He has even offered his additional ticket as a fundraiser for charities buys dinner and you get to sit with him during the game. May not be a bigger fan in the building. He is also one of the nicest guys that you will ever meet. I had the pleasure of winning at auction one of these tickets for a charity. It was one of the most memorable nights I have had at Scottrade. He doesn't get paid for this at all....Keep that in mind.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:52 AM
Chibi
Randomness

I've been a sth for a couple years now in towel guy's section. He's actually pretty cool, takes pictures with fans and is overall nice to anyone who comes up to him. Not sure if he had the "Vacation/Negotiating" sign. I know someone else had a "It's about pucking time" sign at the season opener sitting close to him.

But he did start something new this season and seems to be slowly catching on. As the puck drops at the beginning of each period, he holds up a big "Game On" sign and everyone yells it.

So yes, Towel Guy is still there and thriving. People either like him or don't, I never see anyone complaining or not reaching for a towel when he tosses it to the crowd.

Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:01 AM
417blues

I like towel guy.

I used to attend games at the old barn as a kid, and we'd sing "When The Blues Go Marching In" after a goal. I'm pretty sure that it was mandatory. But if you try that at the Kiel, people look at you like you're nuts because the nearly twenty-year tradition is to clap your hands on the beat and wait for towel guy.

Think about that: the Scottrade Center opened almost twenty years ago. There are fans in the building and on this board who never even saw the inside of the Arena, never enjoyed lukewarm second-period Old El Paso nachos and have never even heard of a Loge (Loge is the French word for "nosebleed").

I'm glad we have towel guy, and honk-honk-warble guy, and even Charles Glenn. I'm still warming up to Louie. But my point here is that towel guy represents the tradition of the Kiel-generation Blues fan: frustrated but unwavering. We've never seen the Blues lose in the Stanley Cup Finals, but we were all in the building in 2006, celebrating pointless goals in a hopeless season.

And I appreciate a snarky sign. It just illustrates that we are okay with being made into fools by the owners - that we can have a laugh about it. "Shut up and take my money!!!"

417blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Celtic Note
Retro Shanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417blues View Post
I like towel guy.

I used to attend games at the old barn as a kid, and we'd sing "When The Blues Go Marching In" after a goal. I'm pretty sure that it was mandatory. But if you try that at the Kiel, people look at you like you're nuts because the nearly twenty-year tradition is to clap your hands on the beat and wait for towel guy.

Think about that: the Scottrade Center opened almost twenty years ago. There are fans in the building and on this board who never even saw the inside of the Arena, never enjoyed lukewarm second-period Old El Paso nachos and have never even heard of a Loge (Loge is the French word for "nosebleed").

I'm glad we have towel guy, and honk-honk-warble guy, and even Charles Glenn. I'm still warming up to Louie. But my point here is that towel guy represents the tradition of the Kiel-generation Blues fan: frustrated but unwavering. We've never seen the Blues lose in the Stanley Cup Finals, but we were all in the building in 2006, celebrating pointless goals in a hopeless season.

And I appreciate a snarky sign. It just illustrates that we are okay with being made into fools by the owners - that we can have a laugh about it. "Shut up and take my money!!!"
The Arena atmosphere was a million times better than Scottrade/Keil/Savvis...whatever name it will be tomorrow. Pure tradition, everyone seemed like a hardcore fan, and the intensity was insane in comparison.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:49 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Nothing like the old barn. You get excited when you get tickets just to realize they are behind a concrete pillar. Use to love to sit up top in the yellow seats.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Linus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
The sign said "I'm still negotiating".

However every game I've been to this year I've seen the towel guy doing his thing.
Ah, right, that was it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417blues View Post

Well said. As someone who never has experienced a Blues home game not in the Scottrade, the towel guy is one of the main "tradition" things for me. I like it. And when the Blues are playing well, the counting seems to really frustrate opposing teams' fans.

Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Yoko Ono*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
He stole his act from the Rivermen back in the 90's, the Rivermen had towel night and the crowd would count the goals and wave the towel just like the towel man does now he ripped off a minor league team promotion.

Yoko Ono* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:00 PM
BlueDream

I'm glad he's not getting attention. We don't need him to count the goals.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:41 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Ono View Post
He stole his act from the Rivermen back in the 90's, the Rivermen had towel night and the crowd would count the goals and wave the towel just like the towel man does now he ripped off a minor league team promotion.
And do you believe every other idea out there is original?

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:01 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Ono View Post
Wow. Just wow. Really?

Being inspired =/= stealing.

He fully admits that he first saw it in Peoria. He admits that a buddy and he decided to bring it to St. Louis.

Peoria is still fully capable of doing it. They lost nothing. How is that stealing?

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:33 PM
tfriede2

I went to a hockey game two days ago and then decided to play hockey outside...I stole the game of hockey.

tfriede2 is offline   Reply With Quote