HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Who is a better playmaker. Joe Thornton or Adam Oates?

View Poll Results: better playmaker in prime
Joe Thornton 94 42.73%
Adam Oates 126 57.27%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-04-2013, 09:30 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
Not a criticism (in my eyes anyway), just an observation. The Bruins on the other hand, looked at the change and his laid back personality and decided he "didn't have the character to bring us to a championship". Thornton went out and won the MVP that year, and that GM got fired largely for that trade, but they did win a title before San Jose.

There were certain expectations of him because of his size in Boston that probably weren't fair, they wanted him to be Lindros and he was never that type of player and never wanted to be. He probably got better once he was free of that.
He also got a little bit lucky that the 2005 lockout spelled the end of the emphasis on Guerin-type power forwards. If the style of play doesn't change starting in 2005-06, he might still receive criticism for backing off his early physical style and becoming a more skill-oriented player. But as it was, he was able to step in post-lockout and dominate with his skill and wingspan, without having to worry about guys water-skiing behind him and forcing him to grind it out every night.

In a sense, he is kind of an emblem for how the NHL as a whole changed from DPE to post-lockout eras. He personally made that shift, but he did it a little ahead of everyone else.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Keep in mind that 2005-06 also provided many career years. That year there was seven 100+ point players, fourteen 90+ point players and 36 players that played at least 40 games were over a point per game.

Last season we had one 100+ point player, three 90+ point players and 9 players that played at least 40 points were over a point per game.

...and I don't know why we're just using career highs here. A players prime can last 5-10 years.
92-93 had 20 players over 100 points, 31 players over 90 points, 52 players over 80 points.

there was just 10 players that put up over 120 points that season.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
Not a criticism (in my eyes anyway), just an observation. The Bruins on the other hand, looked at the change and his laid back personality and decided he "didn't have the character to bring us to a championship". Thornton went out and won the MVP that year, and that GM got fired largely for that trade, but they did win a title before San Jose.

There were certain expectations of him because of his size in Boston that probably weren't fair, they wanted him to be Lindros and he was never that type of player and never wanted to be. He probably got better once he was free of that.
I understand completely. You see a 6-4, 230 pound player and you want him knocking people on their butts and getting in fights. he was that player early on, but he changed. I can understand that getting to Boston fans and the media, too.

The trade itself seemed so irrational. I remember Thornton losing a faceoff in the defensive zone vs NJ that lead to a one-timer game-winner by Mogilny, then he was traded shortly after that. I wonder if McConnell (I think that was his name) decided right at that moment that they needed to trade him? Apparently, most of the other GM's denied knowing he was even available.

Also, I think the cup thing is simply circumstantial. San Jose has won a lot of playoff series with Thronton, just never 4 in a row. The trade set up Boston well cap-wise, and the new GM signed very good players to very good contracts and they eventually came together and won it all. I don't think either is because of Joe Thornton.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote