HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

First year Dinamo Riga does not make the play offs

Old
01-26-2013, 10:08 AM
BalticWarrior

vCash: 500
First year Dinamo Riga does not make the play offs

This is a truly sad day for latvian fans

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:40 AM
ebis

What went wrong?

ebis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:48 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebis View Post
What went wrong?
Where to begin?
1)Wrong coach-Rautakalio was just absolutley not what was needed for this team,he was way to stubborn wit his game understanding,it messed up the team quite a bit

2) Weak foreign player selection- Schremp did not become the dangler which will out-deke every player and score on will,Carle was NOWHERE near the replacent for Sandis Ozolins,Giroux-although now playing pretty good is nowhere near the 50 goals a season kind of player he was in AHL(admitedly he is the best foreign player we have right now)

3) Lot of our previous season leaders were gone-Mikelis Redlihs to Loko,Sprukts to CSKA,Darzins to Ak bars etc

This,i think,pretty much sums it up.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Faterson

But there is always Miks and the best goal of the KHL season. Keep him.

Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:20 PM
kajoo

thats shame, I like Riga. Still chuckling at memory of Supler riding a horseback through downtown Riga

kajoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:47 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
In other news - world keeps on turning. After the commercial brake, we'll discuss how the small Baltic nation will cope with this disaster of Dinamo not getting extra 5 games this spring, stay tuned!

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:12 AM
J Murda

vCash: 544
This is a bummer. After watching the KHL for 5 years, I can easily say Riga is my favorite team. I can't help but get behind the passion of the fans and the excitement this team seems to bring to their city and country. I probably watched about 12-15 games this year in the mornings before going to work and thought this team could have done much better than the results they got. Maybe this wasn't the year, but I hope for big things in the future for this team and Latvian hockey in general.

J Murda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:43 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
In other news - world keeps on turning. After the commercial brake, we'll discuss how the small Baltic nation will cope with this disaster of Dinamo not getting extra 5 games this spring, stay tuned!
Your sarcasm is completley inadequate playoffs are more than just extra "x" amount of games,it`s something more,it`s different quality hockey.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:02 AM
ozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Your sarcasm is completley inadequate playoffs are more than just extra "x" amount of games,it`s something more,it`s different quality hockey.
"Quality" is the wrong term here. There was virtually no quality on the show last year with Torpedo, it was kinda intense, but that was as brutal hockey as it gets. Stop-and-go festival thanks to Torpedo's trap and Koval's ability to freeze or deflect puck out of play.

This sentence isn't aimed at you, Helo, but the beautiful and quality passing play of current day Russian league is more of a myth than reality when we talk about teams not in the top10 (or so) in the standings. And even then those handful of quality sides must face each other to produce something that reminescents our collective idea of a beautiful hockey.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:05 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
"Quality" is the wrong term here. There was virtually no quality on the show last year with Torpedo, it was kinda intense, but that was as brutal hockey as it gets. Stop-and-go festival thanks to Torpedo's trap and Koval's ability to freeze or deflect puck out of play.

This sentence isn't aimed at you, Helo, but the beautiful and quality passing play of current day Russian league is more of a myth than reality when we talk about teams not in the top10 (or so) in the standings. And even then those handful of quality sides must face each other to produce something that reminescents our collective idea of a beautiful hockey.
Well i mean more like a play-off atmosphere,you know? Theres just something special about play-offs and it`s not the extra gmaes.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:16 AM
ozo

Quote:
Well i mean more like a play-off atmosphere,you know?
Only if the both teams get that in their heads. I still remember second round series with Loko of few years ago, which lacked everything you mention here, those were simply brutal games even for pre-season standards. I understand that blowouts happen even in playoffs, like PIT- PHL last year, but even then you saw that players on the loosing teams cared about what happens on the ice at that time. What I mean by all of this, that there's virtually no guarantee of a "quality" or "special atmosphere" being on a display when DR is mentioned in the same sentence.

That said that DR after Supler looks a bit better than before in the intensity department. I haven't seen DR a lot this season, so I was positively surprised how good we looked in the game against Lokomotiv couple of days ago. We really luck skill, but heart isn't the issue anymore it seems.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:18 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Only if the both teams get that in their heads. I still remember second round series with Loko of few years ago, which lacked everything you mention here, those were simply brutal games even for pre-season standards. I understand that blowouts happen even in playoffs, like PIT- PHL last year, but even then you saw that players on the loosing teams cared about what happens on the ice at that time. What I mean by all of this, that there's virtually no guarantee of a "quality" or "special atmosphere" being on a display when DR is mentioned in the same sentence.

That said that DR after Supler looks a bit better than before in the intensity department. I haven't seen DR a lot this season, so I was positively surprised how good we looked in the game against Lokomotiv couple of days ago. We really luck skill, but heart isn't the issue anymore it seems.
Weird,most of SC posters would disagree with you about intesity,all i hear this season is how lazy our team is,how they lack grit and are not even trying.

Last edited by BalticWarrior: 01-27-2013 at 03:36 AM.
Old
01-27-2013, 03:24 AM
BalticWarrior

So what is the best case scenario for us next season? We keep Indrasis,Karsums,Krisjanis Redlihs and Giroux and Scechura. Darzins having a horrible season decides to sign with Riga,Sprukts does the same so how does our line-up look?

Karsums-Sprukts-Indrasis
Darzins-Szcechura-Giroux
Meija-Dzerins-Pavlovs
Biezais-Bicevskis-??

Galvins-Redlihs
Cibulskis-??
Sotnieks-??

??
Jucers

There are major questions about or Goalkeeping and our defense next year.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:44 AM
ozo

Quote:
Weird,most of SC posters would disagree with you about intesity,all i hear this season is how lazy our team is,how they lack grit and are not even trying.
Not that SC really matter, but I said that I haven't seen a lot of DR (this was my fifth or so game of the year, and first in like two months), so that's why I was surprised by our lowly place in the standings.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:47 AM
ozo

Quote:
So what is the best case scenario for us next season? We keep Indrasis,Karsums,Krisjanis Redlihs and Giroux and Scechura. Darzins having a horrible season decides to sign with Riga,Sprukts does the same so how does our line-up look?

Karsums-Sprukts-Indrasis
Darzins-Szcechura-Giroux
Meija-Dzerins-Pavlovs
Biezais-Bicevskis-??

Galvins-Redlihs
Cibulskis-??
Sotnieks-??

??
Jucers

There are major questions about or Goalkeeping and our defense next year.
I more or less agree, Release Lavins, J. Redlihs and Jucers add some of KHL legion (bar Nizivijs and Cipulis) and we're all set another "in the play-off hunt" season. As Kulda and Bartulis is probably out of our price range, I'd love to Pujacs given another shot, as looks like have worn his welcome in Omsk lately.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:55 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
I more or less agree, Release Lavins, J. Redlihs and Jucers add some of KHL legion (bar Nizivijs and Cipulis) and we're all set another "in the play-off hunt" season. As Kulda and Bartulis is probably out of our price range, I'd love to Pujacs given another shot, as looks like have worn his welcome in Omsk lately.
For us to be in the play-offs we need a clear #1 Goaltender,Telquist has just sucked this season.Theres probably no chance we get Masalskis back,so we have to look for some foreign alternative again.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:58 AM
BalticWarrior

Also the question is-will DR keep Abols as head coach? I`ve actually liked what he has done with our team,i say give him more time.(and ofc better players)

Old
01-28-2013, 08:55 AM
marciiauzii

Send a message via Skype™ to marciiauzii
Managment said that they are looking at Tellqvist to continue next year as no.1
And they just must keep Szezchura if the price is right.
Giroux must be the highest earning foreign player and i think thats why he will be let go.
Johnson is 100% gone.
I think that Dzerins will be resigned. Dont know about Bukarts.
And lets see if Rekis stays...

marciiauzii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:05 PM
ozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciiauzii View Post
Managment said that they are looking at Tellqvist to continue next year as no.1 fine
And they just must keep Szezchura if the price is right. definetly
Giroux must be the highest earning foreign player and i think thats why he will be let go. sounds really reasonable
Johnson is 100% gone. fine
I think that Dzerins will be resigned.Dont know about Bukarts.fine and fine either way
And lets see if Rekis stays...thanks but no thanks
Bold

Old
02-10-2013, 11:59 PM
nabbyfan

I know this isnt the first year, but it seems like this season more than ever more Latvian players are playing in the KHL, but not for Dinamo. Is this a money thing, or maybe something in my imagination?

Either way, I hope Dinamo can turn it around. I always cheer for them and the Latvian team, having lived there for a year myself, and its awesome to see the city get behind this team.

Having watched a few games...goaltending was a big issue with this team, and I think there might just not have been enough skill up front to compete with the big name KHL teams. Hopefully they can make the necessary changes to the roster.

nabbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:33 AM
v-man

Sad about the playoffs, but it had to happen at some point. There are much better financed teams that have done a lot worse than Riga to date. Their horrid place in the standings doesn't really reflect the actual talent and capability of the team. With a few luck bounces they could have just as well been in the middle of the pack with the same lineup.

Giroux already said he'd be back next year if offered a contract, so that's pretty much settled, even if they loan him to a playoff team for the end of the season (which I remember reading he's not particularly interested in). It took him a bit longer than expected to adapt, but he can only get better.

Szcechura has been fine, fit in quickly and should stay if the price is right.

I think after their dismal seasons, we'll see several of the old locals back next year. I think at least one of Sprukts or M. Redlihs is a given. Darzins is having a slow season too, yet just proved that he's still got it at the Olympic qualifiers. There was apparently NHL interest a couple of years ago too (before he chose a guaranteed KHL payday), so who knows if that interest still there, or if he'll be an option for Dinamo as well. At this rate, Daugavins might be back in the KHL next season too if he can't solidify his role as an NHLer. He was looking good near the end of his KHL stint, and tried hard all season, even if it didn't lead to great production.

It was obvious that Ozo's departure left a huge hole in the veteran leadership department, so maybe get someone to fill that role too. I wonder in Mike Knuble would be interested in finishing off his playing days in his parents' hometown? His resurrection in last year's playoffs showed he can have a positive effect. Daug's departure interview cast light on the outright lack of leadership of any kind or team cohesiveness off the ice.

The defense is the hardest to address, since the local guys have all seemed to have plateaued, regressed or outlived their usefulness, and the imports they can afford haven't proved much better. There's not much they can do but hope that some guys step up and they get lucky with an import or two. I don't see Bartulis or Kulda joining any time soon considering their solid seasons and leading roles on other teams (I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Kulda back in the NHL next year).

Goaltending is interesting. They both played well at the start of the season, but lost a lot of one goal games because of a scoring drought. At other times, they were both shaky and didn't give the guys a lot of confidence. While I like Jucers, I think he got tossed into the KHL a bit quickly. He needs some time in one of the lower top Euro leagues to gain experience and confidence. His 1W and 16L record is not good enough any way you look at it. Considering Mustukovs success in recent years, he should get another shot as the second keeper, this time getting actual playing time. I'm fine with Telly staying, but if they can upgrade there too, then it's no big loss to see him go either.

Last edited by v-man: 02-11-2013 at 01:00 AM.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:11 AM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
There was apparently NHL interest a couple of years ago too (before he chose a guaranteed KHL payday), so who knows if that interest still there, or if he'll be an option for Dinamo as well. At this rate, Daugavins might be back in the KHL next season too if he can't solidify his role as an NHLer.
About Dārziņš- well the NHL interest was more like rumours but even if they weren't runours we (and apparently he) have to be realistic- Dārziņš doesn't like to get physical much, I mean sure he isn't avoiding and such but he's not at that level to be successful in NHL. Playing for AK Bars of course demanded him to bulk up a bit (as would happen in AHL) but we see that probably that's the ceiling, the level at which he can play. Guess he might still be good in AHL, perhaps even point per game good but that's probably all he can do.... he lacks a lot to play in the NHL and no wonder he chose to think about his pension already

As regards Daugaviņš, even if he's kicked out of NHL no guarantee that he'll return to Riga. KHL teams like NHL experience (Kulda and Bārtulis were already snatched by other teams) and Dinamo can probably compete with probably other 3-4 KHL clubs' salaries.... Plus the club, it seems, is reluctunt to ''overpay'' locals at the moment. They would probably think that they can get next Giroux for about the same or even less than Daugavins and it will be fine for them (even if not for the team)...

Also Dārziņš can be easily exchanged to other lower lever KHL teams that can pay more because those Russian teams value AK Bars Kazan experience too (see the example of Hossa's journey to Spartak after a so-so season in Kazan). I think realistically Rēdlihs might return as nobody will want such a small player who has proven in Lokomotiv that he will probably only be good in front of the home crowd in Riga. Sprukts is in way over his head, CSKA is a real contender for Gagarin Cup, even more so than AK Bars, but he's a hard worker so I dunno.... If some club needs a hard working foreigner.... Also we should not forget that Supler is in Donbass and Sējējs in Lev (and will be there next year), I believe if they had an opportunity to get Dārziņš or Sprukts they'll use it, as they know these players, they are not particularly expensive and in smaller teams can probably contribute much better. Still don't understand why LEV needed Cipulis and Ņiživijs but the team is in play-offs so Sējējs head will remain in place and Supler's Donbass is fighting for play-offs (already with a Latvian in roster), so he's secure too. Plus not to mention there are some other KHL teams with Latvian or past Dinamo Riga connections....

We will see. But I don't think that Dinamo next year will receive back Latvians that are playing in KHL now.

Latgale_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 10:54 AM
ozo

I don't now why Sprukts is failing so miserably, he looked dominant in OGQ recently. It's not like CSKA is expecting a goalscorer out of him which he quite clearly isn't.