HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm acquiring a #2C

Old
01-27-2013, 09:24 PM
SDig14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
As much talent as Yakapov has, he will have a hard time sustaining a high level of production given his size. I would classify Kessel in the same boat. Guys that size have a TOUGH time once a team has a focus on defending them. The Ovechkins, Kovalchuks and Nashes are pretty much unstoppable, regardless of defensive strategy. Chara, Weber, etc. could mug Yakopov and Kessel at will. Try that to Rick Nash.

I'd take Couturier given his size, skating and performance in his first year. He won't produce like Yakopov, but he'll be a 2A/1B type centerman.
You do realize Kessel outscored Nash last year, tied Kovalchuk, and had one less goal than Ovechkin right? He has had 4 30+ goals seasons in a row.

And the only similar thing between Yakupov and Kessel is they are goal scoring wingers, and that's where the comparison ends IMO.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:48 PM
glenbuis

Plekanac and Weber for Petry and a first .

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
The EDM bs is gettin deep in here...and fast. When you have 4 players, one of which has scored over 30 goals once and you refer to them as "the big four" it makes me quite reluctant to sit here and justify that this is the truth.
Well if you're a Boston fan like your location indicates I don't think there's a player on your team with the trade value of one of the "big four" outside of Tyler Seguin. Basically envision four Tyler Seguin's on your team and another fan mocking them for calling them "the big four." The Oilers problem is that after those four and Schultz there next most valuable trading piece is a draft pick.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:04 PM
jayhamm

The Hurricanes gave up a top-10 pick and a B level prospect to upgrade from a two-way third line center to a two-way second line center. Based on what analytical-statistics-god you believe in the B.Sutter and J.Staal are about a wash on defensive prowess. J.Staal posseses greater offensive abilities and strength/size. Staal is 24 and Sutter is 23.

Gagner is a serviceable, smallish, young (but experienced) 2nd line center. Not to offend any Oilers/Gagner fans out there but I believe Brandon Sutter had greater value coming out of Carolina than Gagner does coming out of Edmonton. There are more small, talented centers out there than there are reliable two-way centers with decent size. Ganger has the edge in offensive ability but Sutter did manage to put up ~33 points per season on the 3rd line (ignoring his 2008-2009 4th line rookie season) so his output is not far off Gagner.

Just trying to establish Gagners value.

A good option for Edmonton would be to inquire about Marcus Johansson in Washington. With Backstrom and Ribeiro in the 1/2 center position and Laich likely to return as the 3C when healthy, Johnasson is being underutilized. He is bigger than Gagner at 6'1" 200lbs but not significantly. He brings decent offense with him and good speed, strong skating, and some above average defensive acumen.

The only problem is I doubt Washington has much interest in Gagner for the same reasons that Johansson is expendable: they really don't NEED another center. Of course Gagner could be slotted on the wing if necessary but something else needs to be coming over from Edmonton with him. Looking at Washingtons organizational depth they are lacking in blue chip defensive prospects. I imagine a deal would have to be worked around that. Of course a a true top-6 winger would be ideal but it would be counter-productive for Edmonton to add by subtraction.

Just for fun I'll throw out an offer because at this point I most of you have stopped reading and skipped to the bottom:

To EDM:
C Marcus Johansson
2013 1st Round Pick

To WAS:
C Sam Gagner
D Oscar Klefbom

I'm sure there will be great outcry from the Edmonton fans but I'm not sure Washington would bite on Marincin or Musil as their NHL projections are a little cloudier. The consensus on Klefbom is that he'll definitely bring a good to great defensive game to the NHL and a moderate-above average offense. Based on Klefboms potential Edmonton might deserve an extra pick in this to be honest but I doubt they get it as he has yet to even cross the ocean. If not Klefbom then it will have to be Marincin/Musil coming back for a 3rd (maybe a 2014 or 2015 2nd).

Discuss.

PS. the only franchise-level TWO-WAY center in the NHL right now is Pavel Datsyuk. Enough said

Last edited by jayhamm: 01-27-2013 at 11:06 PM. Reason: datsyuk
jayhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:10 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhamm View Post
The Hurricanes gave up a top-10 pick and a B level prospect to upgrade from a two-way third line center to a two-way second line center. Based on what analytical-statistics-god you believe in the B.Sutter and J.Staal are about a wash on defensive prowess. J.Staal posseses greater offensive abilities and strength/size. Staal is 24 and Sutter is 23.

Gagner is a serviceable, smallish, young (but experienced) 2nd line center. Not to offend any Oilers/Gagner fans out there but I believe Brandon Sutter had greater value coming out of Carolina than Gagner does coming out of Edmonton. There are more small, talented centers out there than there are reliable two-way centers with decent size. Ganger has the edge in offensive ability but Sutter did manage to put up ~33 points per season on the 3rd line (ignoring his 2008-2009 4th line rookie season) so his output is not far off Gagner.

Just trying to establish Gagners value.

A good option for Edmonton would be to inquire about Marcus Johansson in Washington. With Backstrom and Ribeiro in the 1/2 center position and Laich likely to return as the 3C when healthy, Johnasson is being underutilized. He is bigger than Gagner at 6'1" 200lbs but not significantly. He brings decent offense with him and good speed, strong skating, and some above average defensive acumen.

The only problem is I doubt Washington has much interest in Gagner for the same reasons that Johansson is expendable: they really don't NEED another center. Of course Gagner could be slotted on the wing if necessary but something else needs to be coming over from Edmonton with him. Looking at Washingtons organizational depth they are lacking in blue chip defensive prospects. I imagine a deal would have to be worked around that. Of course a a true top-6 winger would be ideal but it would be counter-productive for Edmonton to add by subtraction.

Just for fun I'll throw out an offer because at this point I most of you have stopped reading and skipped to the bottom:

To EDM:
C Marcus Johansson
2013 1st Round Pick

To WAS:
C Sam Gagner
D Oscar Klefbom

I'm sure there will be great outcry from the Edmonton fans but I'm not sure Washington would bite on Marincin or Musil as their NHL projections are a little cloudier. The consensus on Klefbom is that he'll definitely bring a good to great defensive game to the NHL and a moderate-above average offense. Based on Klefboms potential Edmonton might deserve an extra pick in this to be honest but I doubt they get it as he has yet to even cross the ocean. If not Klefbom then it will have to be Marincin/Musil coming back for a 3rd (maybe a 2014 or 2015 2nd).

Discuss.

PS. the only franchise-level TWO-WAY center in the NHL right now is Pavel Datsyuk. Enough said
I'd pass as an Oilers fan unless the Caps continue to be awful leading to their first being in the lottery. Johansson probably has slightly more value than Gagner. Klefbom I'd figure is worth around the 10th overall pick in the draft. I'd be interested in Brooks Laich if I was Tambellini though. Good leader, Western Canada, plays with heart, big, good on draws. I've heard from some he might be available and I've heard from others he's the next captain.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:14 PM
SDig14

I don't think the value is terrible, I just don't think it's worth losing Klefbom.

Watch the Oilers for one game, and then you'll realize why trading away our best defensive prospect is crazy. We are that bad on the backend, considering by the end of the year it wouldn't shock me if our best defenseman was a rookie.

Assuming our pick isn't top 10, I think Paajarvi, Gagner, 1st round pick, Whitney, and Hemsky will be in play.

I know this likely means we aren't getting a great player, but I think we can get a very solid addition with some combination of above assets.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:44 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhamm View Post

To EDM:
C Marcus Johansson
2013 1st Round Pick

To WAS:
C Sam Gagner
D Oscar Klefbom

Discuss.

I doubt they would want Gagner. Something around Klefbom for Johansson makes sense.

The Oil could then trade Gagner to a team like Anaheim to reunite him with Cogliano.

Aceonfire is online now   Reply With Quote