HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Injury Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgarbossy View Post
Crazy injuries piling up in a shortened season with RoR as yet unsigned?

/tinfoilhat

We "battle" all season against injuries unsuccessfully. High draft pick for NHL ready talent. RoR and management come to an agreement 'suddenly' after a lost season with a long term discount contract. All key players at 100% to start 13-14. Shed the fat for futures. Parade.
Haha even though the injuries are obviously bad luck - short season, tank to pick up Barkov/Mackinnon/Monahan, trade a center for a Dman, make some depth signings, get injured guys back, plan the parade.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Is it bad that part of me actually hopes EJ misses 3-4 games with this injury?

Surely management would get the point after those 3-4 games that our Defense without EJ is atrocious, and would move the necessary pieces to aquire a #1 Dman.

Avs games would actually start to become a comedy TV show without EJ in our lineup.
I'd rather the Avs not make a panic deal. The hole they've dug for themselves is far, far too deep to be rectified by trading for a #2 d-man whose price will likely cost us in a whole bunch of a other areas. This isn't the Burke-era Leafs, and I'd rather it stay that way.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:08 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 50
Quote:

Surely management would get the point after those 3-4 games that our Defense without EJ is atrocious, and would move the necessary pieces to aquire a #1 Dman.

Avs games would actually start to become a comedy TV show without EJ in our lineup.
This is what I don't get...do folks really think getting a #1 dman is easy as picking up the phone and moving the right pieces? I don't believe there are a lot of teams right now that want to move one of their #1 dmen. So who is Sherm going to call? The Ghostbusters? The Coyotes could but won't unless it is for a gross overpayment. In all honesty, I'm not sure Duchene alone would get an upper level #1 dman...and that is what we need. Not another #3 who could play with EJ...we need an honest to goodness top pairing guy.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Elever
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
This is what I don't get...do folks really think getting a #1 dman is easy as picking up the phone and moving the right pieces? I don't believe there are a lot of teams right now that want to move one of their #1 dmen. So who is Sherm going to call? The Ghostbusters? The Coyotes could but won't unless it is for a gross overpayment. In all honesty, I'm not sure Duchene alone would get an upper level #1 dman...and that is what we need. Not another #3 who could play with EJ...we need an honest to goodness top pairing guy.
You might not get a number one but you can certainly get a top 4 dman like Z Michalek with Phx who acquired him for spare parts. They got lucky that he wanted out however we're in a desperate situation and need to move a draft pick or something plus one of those abundant CHL midgets in our prospect system or nothing's improving. That D problem is the core to the rest of our problems....we could have ROR/Downie/Landeskog rolling and we still wouldn't compete if the D issue isn't fixed.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:47 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
You might not get a number one but you can certainly get a top 4 dman like Z Michalek with Phx who acquired him for spare parts. They got lucky that he wanted out however we're in a desperate situation and need to move a draft pick or something plus one of those abundant CHL midgets in our prospect system or nothing's improving. That D problem is the core to the rest of our problems....we could have ROR/Downie/Landeskog rolling and we still wouldn't compete if the D issue isn't fixed.
Oh, I agree whole-heartedly. We need top-end D and the sooner the better.

What I'm saying is, it's not as easy as picking up the phone and ordering a pizza. I also think you have to be careful with the ROR chip...make sure you get a good return and preferably out of the conference and most-certainly out of the division. Nobody's going to go out of their way and try to do the AVs a favor here, so in my opinion (and since this season is a lost-cause already) we should wait until the deadline or the draft and pray to god we can deal from a position of strength rather than weakness. Any trade we make right now for top end talent will be a trade from a position of weakness and I can guarantee it will be a tremendous overpayment. As painful as it is to watch the AVs lose I think we're going to have to suck it up.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:54 PM
Razor29
52-22-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
I haven't seen another team lose players to injuries every single game like the Avs do.
So chalk it up to bad luck.

These injuries are not in any way a result of conditioning.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:15 PM
PAZ

Well Jones should be back for next game.

LET THE TANK CONTINUE.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post

LET THE TANK CONTINUE.
Not sure what's everyone's beef with Jones. He's always been inconsistent but when he's on he can put the puck in like nobodies business. I've never been a fan of the guy, I actually wanted him traded when he scored 27 goals while his value was high but some didn't feel this way (dmitri). I sure as hell didn't want to give him 4mill but what's done is done and when jones sobers up later on he'll score. Don't expect him to be a 40A 40G guy though.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:36 PM
the_fan

This team just needs to tank and get a high pick. Hopefully all this injuries will make that happen.

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:28 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Not sure what's everyone's beef with Jones. He's always been inconsistent but when he's on he can put the puck in like nobodies business. I've never been a fan of the guy, I actually wanted him traded when he scored 27 goals while his value was high but some didn't feel this way (dmitri). I sure as hell didn't want to give him 4mill but what's done is done and when jones sobers up later on he'll score. Don't expect him to be a 40A 40G guy though.
Agreed, the hate on here for Jones is getting unbearable. I think Landeskog has looked just as bad as Jones has, but David definitely had that poor game before he got injured.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post

LET THE TANK CONTINUE.
Seth Jones?

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:40 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Agreed, the hate on here for Jones is getting unbearable. I think Landeskog has looked just as bad as Jones has, but David definitely had that poor game before he got injured.
Landeskog looked ok to me in the three games he played. Jones has looked atrocious, with the exception of one or two games where he was engaged and hitting players.

I'm not worried out about Jones. He'll get going eventually and provide a goal here and there. He hasn't played in a long time and looks very rusty.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:44 PM
Varly

I wish they would give the fans a update on Landeskog instead of just leaving us in limbo

Varly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:58 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varly View Post
I wish they would give the fans a update on Landeskog instead of just leaving us in limbo
What do you want them to say? He's not practicing, so it's safe to say he won't play until he does.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:57 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
They've told he has a head injury instead of "upper body".
That's already better than many organizations.

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:49 AM
Landeskog The Viking
Duchene The Boss

sure hope landys gonna be ok bit OT with this shortened season i'd looooove to get a top 3 pick

Landeskog The Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:18 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeskog The Viking View Post
sure hope landys gonna be ok bit OT with this shortened season i'd looooove to get a top 3 pick
Who wouldn't, but how many seasons we have to keep sucking in order to achieve something?

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:26 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

One, two, three

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:29 AM
TheStranger

Quote:

Your first mistake is thinking we have a single piece outside of Duchene that could land us an NHL quality defenseman.

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:45 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
Your first mistake is thinking we have a single piece outside of Duchene that could land us an NHL quality defenseman.
first round pick is worth something and the way this season is going it's gonna be worth a lot.

At the moment our biggest trading chip is O'Reilly.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:02 PM
Varly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
What do you want them to say? He's not practicing, so it's safe to say he won't play until he does.
I want them to say the severity of the injury

Wayne Simmons is concussed and the gm said its not a serious concussion

thats all i want is to know the severity

is this a week or two injury or a month or two

Old
02-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Quote:

It was a big hit. Assume he'll be out for the season. That way if he does recover sooner it'll be a pleasant surprise and if he doesn't then you won't be disappointed.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:25 PM
avs1dacup

vCash: 134
Quote:

So next time he plays, he'll get exploited and hit harder. Want that? I don't. There's a reason most teams are generic with their injuries to the public. Why does it matter to you if it's 2 weeks or 2 months? He'll be back when he's back and healthy.

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Varly

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup View Post
So next time he plays, he'll get exploited and hit harder. Want that? I don't. There's a reason most teams are generic with their injuries to the public. Why does it matter to you if it's 2 weeks or 2 months? He'll be back when he's back and healthy.
why does it matter?? is that a serious question? It matter because hes probabaly the best player on this team

ofcourse he'll be back when hes healthy but a time frame would be nice

Old
02-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:

Holmgren likely has no earthly idea how serious Simmonds' concussion is. That's just lip service.

Again, there is NO TIMETABLE on how long or how short a time a player recovers from a concussion. Severity has nothing to do with it, unless it's career threatening/ending like Pronger's. No medical staff on the planet can tell you if a person suffering from a concussion will suddenly wake up a month from now and be symptom-free. Or two months. Or a year. There's no way to tell. All they can do is monitor the symptoms until they go away. After that happens and the player has practiced a bit, they can put a timetable on the player's return. This isn't like a knee sprain or muscle tear. This is a brain injury, and it behaves completely different than an injury of the body.