HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Injury Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-13-2013, 09:09 PM
  #476
Nihiliste
Registered User
 
Nihiliste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,189
vCash: 500
Regarding EJ's reaction (these are signs acutely after a concussion is sustained):

Quote:
Signs observed in someone with a concussion may include the following [37]:

Vacant stare (befuddled facial expression)
Delayed verbal expression (slower to answer questions or follow instructions)
Inability to focus attention (easily distracted and unable to follow through with normal activities)
Disorientation (walking in the wrong direction, unaware of time, date, place)
Slurred or incoherent speech (making disjointed or incomprehensible statements)
Gross observable incoordination (stumbling, inability to walk tandem/straight line)
Emotionality out of proportion to circumstances (appearing distraught, crying for no apparent reason)
Memory deficits (exhibited by patient repeatedly asking the same question that has already been answered or inability to memorize and return three of three words and three of three objects for five minutes)
Any period of loss of consciousness (coma, unresponsiveness to stimuli)
Taken from UpToDate (medical database)

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:30 PM
  #477
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 26,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Because he has a concussion, doesn't mean he can't tell where he is or what he's doing. Concussions can vary every bit as much as, say, a muscle pull. Some muscle pulls barely slow someone down. Others can keep someone from walking.

It's really quite unpredictable. I had a bad concussion a few years ago - I got nasty vertigo and some balance issues that lasted quite a while, but I was never unsure of where I was or what I was doing. One of my teenage family members had a concussion last year, and cried (for no reason that any of us could tell) 6 times a day for a week or two.
I know I was joking. I don't think he's Frankestein's monster either, though I could be wrong about that. His beast modes are pretty impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Brain trauma could absolutely make someone act angrily/violently.

I think in EJs case, he was clearly dizzy/confused on the ice, and not thinking clearly as he came off. I doubt the reason for his anger was particularly clear to him as he came off the ice.

You can't make hypotheticals about how you would feel if it was you with the concussion. Each head injury will be to a different extent and each person will respond differently to it. Can't be certain without talking to him/examining him and to be honest just seeing how things work out with time whether his response is a good or bad thing. Could be a sign of a pretty severe concussion for him to go off like that, or it could be a sign that he was relatively clear compared to say, Mueller who just collapsed on the ice.
Again, it was just a joke. Obviously it's possible he has a concussion, and that's the reason he threw a fit.

However, I'm not so sure on this brain trauma argument. I'm no doctor, and maybe you're more verssed in this than I am, but these symptoms being associated anger and mood changes seem more to do with the effects in the days after the brain trauma. Not the following ten seconds after you got wacked in the head.

Just for clarity, I'm not questioning whether he has a concussion at this point, just that it seems like an odd reaction. Albeit certainly a possible reaction.

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:35 PM
  #478
Nihiliste
Registered User
 
Nihiliste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
However, I'm not so sure on this brain trauma argument. I'm no doctor, and maybe you're more verssed in this than I am, but these symptoms being associated anger and mood changes seem more to do with the effects in the days after the brain trauma. Not the following ten seconds after you got wacked in the head.

Just for clarity, I'm not questioning whether he has a concussion at this point, just that it seems like an odd reaction. Albeit certainly a possible reaction.
Yeah, anger, depression et al are typically more PCS symptoms. However emotional volatility has been noted acutely as noted in the quote I posted.

It's cited from:

PubMed
TI Diagnosis and management of concussion in sports.
AU Kelly JP, Rosenberg JH
SO Neurology. 1997;48(3):575.

AD Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Northwestern University Medical School, IL 60611, USA.
PM ID9065529


Still, it was definitely an unusual reaction to see.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:42 PM
  #479
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 26,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Yeah, anger, depression et al are typically more PCS symptoms. However emotional volatility has been noted acutely as noted in the quote I posted.

It's cited from:

PubMed
TI Diagnosis and management of concussion in sports.
AU Kelly JP, Rosenberg JH
SO Neurology. 1997;48(3):575.

AD Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Northwestern University Medical School, IL 60611, USA.
PM ID9065529


Still, it was definitely an unusual reaction to see.
You are more versed in this than I am, haha. Or you just know how to use google.

At least he didn't burst into tears on the way off the ice. That would have been sad.

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:48 PM
  #480
Nihiliste
Registered User
 
Nihiliste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
You are more versed in this than I am, haha. Or you just know how to use google.

At least he didn't burst into tears on the way off the ice. That would have been sad.
Haha I'm no doctor yet but I'm in the long process of training to be. In like 7 more years I'll be practicing on my own

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:01 PM
  #481
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster
 
AslanRH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Wyoming, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,009
vCash: 50
He's had a concussion before, and if he felt similar symptoms after the hit (loss of coordination, dizziness, etc) even in a minor way, he may have just gotten that mad because he knew he'd just gotten another one and knew he'd have to leave the game at least. Kinda like that, "This will hurt in the morning" feeling. JMO

AslanRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:14 PM
  #482
avs1dacup
Registered User
 
avs1dacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,621
vCash: 500
Too many of you are reading wayyyyy too much into this.

He was playing well. The team was playing well. The team was winning. He was pissed to have to sit the rest of the game. It's that simple.

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:28 AM
  #483
Freaky Styley
Registered User
 
Freaky Styley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I know if I got hit so hard in the head that I got a concussion and ran into the boards because I was woozy, the first thing I'd do is hit my team's elder statesman and mentor with the bench, and then start throwing **** around and have a fit.

Wait, no that's not true, the first thing I'd do is try to get off the ice so I could sit down somewhere.

EJ must be some kind of frankenstein creation if that's how he reacts. "I'm severely injured, and can't tell where I am or what I'm doing right now! Arrrgggghhhhhhh!"
An athlete knows if he is hurt bad, or will just miss a couple of shifts. EJ knew he was hurt bad and would miss time and wasn't pleased about it.

Freaky Styley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:24 PM
  #484
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 21,322
vCash: 500
Landeskog is skating again:

Denver Post Sports ‏@DenverSportNews
#Avs' Gabe Landeskog resumes skating for first time since head injury http://dpo.st/Xajm4w by @adater

henchman24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:38 PM
  #485
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel
 
Bordeleau Of Blood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Landeskog is skating again:

Denver Post Sports ‏@DenverSportNews
#Avs' Gabe Landeskog resumes skating for first time since head injury http://dpo.st/Xajm4w by @adater
Finally some good news. Hopefully he's not too far off.

Bordeleau Of Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:42 PM
  #486
Bubba Thudd
Random Stranger
 
Bubba Thudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Monkey Bars
Posts: 16,874
vCash: 5891
Dater: So, is Landeskog skating yet?

Sacco: Hmmm. He'd be skating on thin ice if he were to get out there at this stage.

Dater: *BLOG* Landeskog is skating!!!

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:48 PM
  #487
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,320
vCash: 500
What's up with Wilson? Seems to be the forgotten man. I still haven't seen a single update on his status.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:29 PM
  #488
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1
 
Pierce Hawthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Caverns of Draconis
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,103
vCash: 500
Dater said Landy was skating with a Orange non contact jersey today and skating hard.

Sounds primising, don't want to get too optimistic but I would think a timetable of 1-1.5 weeks for Landy could be close.

EDIT: Was Chambers who said it, and he still didn't practice with the team, just skated by himself, so maybe a little longer then 1 week, but 2 is still possible I believe.

Pierce Hawthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:40 PM
  #489
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Dater said Landy was skating with a Orange non contact jersey today and skating hard.

Sounds primising, don't want to get too optimistic but I would think a timetable of 1-1.5 weeks for Landy could be close.

EDIT: Was Chambers who said it, and he still didn't practice with the team, just skated by himself, so maybe a little longer then 1 week, but 2 is still possible I believe.
So long as they're taking their time with him, and it looks like they are, it's all good.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:22 PM
  #490
hockeyfish
Registered User
 
hockeyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: DENVER!!!!!!!
Country: United States
Posts: 9,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
What's up with Wilson? Seems to be the forgotten man. I still haven't seen a single update on his status.
I'd like to know too. Would be nice to get him back as well.

hockeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:26 PM
  #491
RockLobster
Moderator
A magician named Gob
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,790
vCash: 844
Quote:
adater ‏@adater
Been off the Avs beat for three days, but am hearing Erik Johnson feeling better, could skate soon
Great news indeed!

__________________


No matter where I try to roam, it only goes to show, I'm such a long, long way from home.
RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:26 PM
  #492
Freaky Styley
Registered User
 
Freaky Styley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Great news indeed!
If we can hang in a few games until Landeskog & EJ are healthy this season MIGHT be salvageable. An end to the O'Reilly saga either way would go a long way too.

Freaky Styley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:48 PM
  #493
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured
 
Muffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
If we can hang in a few games until Landeskog & EJ are healthy this season MIGHT be salvageable. An end to the O'Reilly saga either way would go a long way too.
If we get EJ and Landeskog back combined with whoever we get back from the O'Reilly trade, we should be able to make a run.

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:49 PM
  #494
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,146
vCash: 500
EJ news is terrific. D has given up 93 shots in the two games without him lmao

NothingLikeAnEJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:54 PM
  #495
RockLobster
Moderator
A magician named Gob
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,790
vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLikeAnEJ View Post
EJ news is terrific. D has given up 93 shots in the two games without him lmao
One of the most telling stats since his absence.

And many were saying that we were about to see just HOW valuable he is to the lineup, and boy were they right.

Don't get me wrong, Barrie's been playing fantastically in his absence (save for some rookie mistakes) and it's a silver lining I guess, because who knows if he would have gotten the opportunity w/ EJ still playing.

Hopefully when he comes back we can try out an EJ/Barrie pairing

RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:57 PM
  #496
BrickAHL
Sasha Banks GOAT
 
BrickAHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,181
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
One of the most telling stats since his absence.

And many were saying that we were about to see just HOW valuable he is to the lineup, and boy were they right.

Don't get me wrong, Barrie's been playing fantastically in his absence (save for some rookie mistakes) and it's a silver lining I guess, because who knows if he would have gotten the opportunity w/ EJ still playing.

Hopefully when he comes back we can try out an EJ/Barrie pairing
I haven't watched today's game yet but I like what I have seen from Hejda and Barrie as a pairing. Hopefully Wilson is back soon so we can have

Wilson - Johnson
Hejda - Barrie
Pylon - Scrub

It is still not a good defense but it is somewhat passable.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:29 PM
  #497
Foppa Frossa
Registered User
 
Foppa Frossa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,067
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
I haven't watched today's game yet but I like what I have seen from Hejda and Barrie as a pairing. Hopefully Wilson is back soon so we can have

Wilson - Johnson
Hejda - Barrie
Pylon - Scrub

It is still not a good defense but it is somewhat passable.
I'd do Elliott and Zanon as the other pairing, but there's no way we'd waive all those defensive "assets"

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:13 AM
  #498
S3rkie
Registered User
 
S3rkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,149
vCash: 500
edit: wow i was late on that one -_-

S3rkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:22 AM
  #499
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1
 
Pierce Hawthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Caverns of Draconis
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa Frossa View Post
I'd do Elliott and Zanon as the other pairing, but there's no way we'd waive all those defensive "assets"
Hopefully we move them.

Move Obrien or Obyrne in the ROR trade, move both in the trade if we can. Otherwise take a pick for them, I would think someone would give up a 4th or 5th for them, possibly even a 3rd if were patient.

I don't think Elliott should be up here right now, he needs to go back down and get his confidence back. Move Obyrne/Obrien at the deadline for picks when teams are desperate, and then bring Elliott up.

EJ and Landy back and this team is still very much in it IMO. If we were to get a MDZ and JT Miller as well, we should make playoffs.

Pierce Hawthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:02 AM
  #500
Rob Brown
Way She Goes
 
Rob Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,753
vCash: 500
I know Landeskog has been skating, but anyone have an updated time frame as to when he should be back? Just wondering for my fantasy team.

Thanks guys!

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.