HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

True or False: The Salary Cap will bring the Leafs closer to the cup.

View Poll Results: A salary cap will bring Toronto closer to the Stanley cup
Yes 6 10.00%
I never though of that.. Maybe it works 7 11.67%
No 47 78.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2005, 01:50 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

vCash: 500
True or False: The Salary Cap will bring the Leafs closer to the cup.

My guess is quite possibly.

With limited money available league wide, where do you think a lot of players are going to want to play? And with almost no contracts and no money spent come 2006-07 season, and with a boatload of free agents about to hit the marker, some blue and white jerseys are going to be filled with some talented players.

Old
03-06-2005, 02:11 PM
Quiet Robert

I think it depends how schrewdly management can make some moves. Doesn't he Leafs ownership want to keep the status quo? Or at least something which ressembles it? (Serious question-I'm not sure) I would think with no restrictions on spending, (under the old CBA) the Leafs had a better chance of winning the Cup. They had the ability to get FA's they wanted and didn't have to worry about developing prospects as much. (Not saying they didn't just saying it wasen't a major concern) So it depends on how Leafs management can develop a good system. At this point, I would say no because it seems with less money to spend, their chances to win would diminish.

That being said, if they can develop their prospects and make good moves you never know. But at first glance, I would say a salary cap hurts the so called big market teams imo.

Old
03-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor of MacAppolis
With limited money available league wide, where do you think a lot of players are going to want to play?
I'm not sure I'd say a salary cap will neccessarily help us. But it also won't hurt us nearly as much as a lot of people like to pretend it will.

What you say makes sense though. Think of the Raptors. Because of the NBA salary cap, the Raptors cannot offer their star players any more than any other team can.

As a result, all the NBA star players like to gravitate to either the big markets or their hometowns. The Raptors have lost franchise players like Damon Stoudamire, Tracy McGrady, Antonio Davis and now Vince Carter for these reasons.

Last edited by Leaf Army: 03-06-2005 at 02:41 PM.
Old
03-06-2005, 02:50 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

I think it will take a little longer then 2006-07 IMO ..

Mats is still on the books for 8 -9 mil for a few more years and the final Cap Number has not been set yet ..

but I agree in principle that a few years down the road when the market has corrected itself and $ 5 mil salaries are a rarity rather then what you nearly are going to pay McCabe a season ..then things will begin to change ..

I agree the Fans of other teams are going to realize that no matter what the league does, the Leafs will always have an competitive advantage over others....

Firstly Leaf Management can always rely on Leaf fans resolve and undying, unbreakable dedication to its team, through its support till the end financially. That always provides Leaf management with the maximum resources to compete for what talent is available on the market.

Like in Real Estate ..Location, Location. Location .. with the Lure of playing for Canada's team and the fact that $$$ will no longer influence decisions, and many players calling Ontario home will always and forever give Toronto an advantage that even Bettman can't take away....Its that proud tradition to wear the Blue and White plus the fact that Bettman can't control where they were born, only how much they get paid.

PS : Once MLSE finds endorsements and other ways around a hard Cap like the NFL Dallas Cowboys did ..

Like the Toronto Raptors are proud to announce the Signing of Eric Lindros to a Multi-year Multi-Million $$ contract(keeping with teams guidelines terms not released) , and he has been loaned to the Maple Leafs for $1 until his free Throw average has improved, to at least NBA average (excluding Shaq of course)

The Leafs proud to Hire Gary Roberts as health and fitness consultant .. Terms of the agreement are the Roberts will dress for as many Leafs games as health permits as player/coach and MLSE pledges to invest $ 2 mil /year in his Downtown Toronto Fitness club ..

MLSE is proud to introduce Maple Leaf Fans to Chris Pronger, who has agreed to play for League Minimum Wage, who in turn would like to thank MLSE for the beautiful fully paid for $5 mil Home in Mississauga. The $ shaped pool was a nice touch.

After being ruled a UFA ..Jeff Carter is pleased to become a Maple Leaf , he has agreed to the league 850K per season, and feels the 2.5 mil per year endorsement deal that MLSE has set up for him with NIKE will keep his Summers pretty busy.

Leafs are proud to welcome aboard Jerome Iginla and his Wife to the Maple Leafs organization (keeping with team policy terms were not released) although sources have revealed that Mrs Iginla may now be the highest paid accounting clerk in Canada as a result of this deal perhaps even in history.

Marty Brodeur as been Signed as an UFA by the Maple Leafs for 1 mil/season .. To say thank you to Brodeur .. Larry Tannenbaum has given to Marty his 20 mil valued Yacht to do with as he sees fit ..

What advantage are you speaking of MAC ????.

MLSE are just running a profitable business.

Last edited by Mess: 03-07-2005 at 01:47 AM.
Old
03-06-2005, 02:56 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger

Mats is still on the books for 8 -9 mil and the final Cap Number has not been set yet ..

but I agree in principle at a few years down the road when the market has corrected itself and 5 mil salaries are a rarity rather then what you nearly are going to pay McCabe a season ..then things will begin to change ..

I agree the Fans of other teams are going to realize that no matter what the league does the Leafs will always have an advantage over others ..

Like in Real Estate ..Location, Location. Location .. with the Lure of playing for Canada's team and the fact that $$$ will not longer influence decisions , and many players calling Ontario home will always and forever give Toronto an advantage that even Bettman can't take away .. and that is a proud tradition to wear the Blue and White and he can't control where they were born, only how much they get paid.

PS : Once MLSE finds endorsements and other ways around a hard Cap like the NFL Dallas Cowboys did ..

Like the Toronto Raptors are proud to announce the Signing of Eric Lindros to a Multi-year Multi-Million $$ contract(keeping with teams guidelines terms not released) , and he has been loaded to the Maple leafs for $1 until his free Throw average has improved, to at least NBA average (excluding Shaq of course)

The Leafs proud to Hire Gary Roberts as health and fitness consultant .. Terms of the agreement are the Roberts will dress for as many Leafs games as health permits as player/coach and MLSE pledges to invest $ 2 mil /year in his Downtown Toronto Fitness club ..

MLSE is proud to introduce Maple Leaf Fans to Chris Pronger, who has agreed to play for League Minimum Wage, who in turn would like to thank MLSE for the beautiful fully paid for $5 mil Home in Mississauga.

After being ruled a UFA ..Jeff Carter is pleased to become a Maple Leaf , he has agreed to the league 850K per season, and feels the 2.5 mil per year endorsement deal that MLSE has set up with him with NIKE will keep his Summers pretty busy.

Leafs are proud to welcome aboard Jerome Iginla and his Wife to the Maple Leafs organization (keeping with team policy terms were not released) although sources have revealed that Mrs Iginla may now be the highest paid accounting clerk in Canada as a result of this deal perhaps even in history.

I needed a laugh!

Old
03-06-2005, 03:17 PM
goleafsgo

Send a message via MSN to goleafsgo
I really don't think that the salary cap would bring the Leafs closer to the cup. In order to win the cup, we would need a more talented team, with some all-timers. It is possible that we would get a really talented hockey player on the Leafs. I really doubt it though. The Leafs probably couldn't afford one. But this year, the Leafs would be the Stanley Cup Champions because Toronto holds the Stanley Cup in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Old
03-06-2005, 03:20 PM
goleafsgo

Send a message via MSN to goleafsgo
Quote:

Mats is still on the books for 8 -9 mil and the final Cap Number has not been set yet ..

but I agree in principle at a few years down the road when the market has corrected itself and 5 mil salaries are a rarity rather then what you nearly are going to pay McCabe a season ..then things will begin to change ..

I agree the Fans of other teams are going to realize that no matter what the league does the Leafs will always have an advantage over others ..

Like in Real Estate ..Location, Location. Location .. with the Lure of playing for Canada's team and the fact that $$$ will not longer influence decisions , and many players calling Ontario home will always and forever give Toronto an advantage that even Bettman can't take away .. and that is a proud tradition to wear the Blue and White and he can't control where they were born, only how much they get paid.

Like the Toronto Raptors are proud to announce the Signing of Eric Lindros to a Multi-year Multi-Million $$ contract(keeping with teams guidelines terms not released) , and he has been loaded to the Maple leafs for $1 until his free Throw average has improved, to at least NBA average (excluding Shaq of course)

MLSE is proud to introduce Maple Leaf Fans to Chris Pronger, who has agreed to play for League Minimum Wage, who in turn would like to thank MLSE for the beautiful fully paid for $5 mil Home in Mississauga. The $ shaped pool was a nice touch.

After being ruled a UFA ..Jeff Carter is pleased to become a Maple Leaf , he has agreed to the league 850K per season, and feels the 2.5 mil per year endorsement deal that MLSE has set up with him with NIKE will keep his Summers pretty busy.

Marty Brodeur as been Signed as an UFA by the Maple Leafs for 1 mil/season .. To say thank you to Brodeur .. Larry Tannenbaum has given to Marty his 20 mil valued Yacht to do with as he sees fit ..

Messenger, I have to ask you a question. How the heck can you type all that? I would have a problem reading all that.

Old
03-06-2005, 03:24 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goleafsgo
Messenger, I have to ask you a question. How the heck can you type all that? I would have a problem reading all that.
I guess being in the Computer field and the ability to type 65 words a minute helps me with my posting here at HF ..

Old
03-06-2005, 03:33 PM
emillie

I think it will help. I think this team needs to be rebuild from the ground up before it will win another cup. A salary cap could very force the Leafs to do what they need to do to win.

Old
03-06-2005, 11:29 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

Messenger gets it!!!

Leaf Army is on the right path. It may take a little longer than 06-07, but the big contracts are almost all of the books. Hell almost all contracts are off the books!

Old
03-07-2005, 12:00 AM
monkey_00*

No it won't.........

The Leafs are one of those teams that would be better without the Salary Cap simply because they are one of the wealthiest teams in the NHL......they would be able to continue signing free agents in the off-season cause money is not an issue with the Leafs.......by having the Salary Cap in place this means all of the other clubs in the NHL will be on a more even-leveled playing field with the wealthier clubs in the League like the Detroits and Torontos of the world.

Old
03-07-2005, 12:04 AM
monkey_00*

Quote:

The Messenger..............

I wish I had have read your post before I posted my response to the question of this thread...........I've never really thought of it that way before.....maybe you should e-mail the Toronto Maple Leafs and share with them your ideas around the Salary Cap...........that was very creative and intelligent way around it on your part.............Bravo!

Old
03-07-2005, 09:03 AM
emillie

The Messenger: I'm sure your post was made just for fun. Theres no way the NHL would allow a team do that kind of "creative" hiring to get around the salary cap.

Old
03-07-2005, 09:04 AM
emillie

monkey_00: But advantage the Leafs have of signing UFA's is keeping them from winning a cup, it just gets them to the playoffs. With a cap they could/should be forced to build their team the right way.

Old
03-07-2005, 09:31 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by emillie
The Messenger: I'm sure your post was made just for fun. Theres no way the NHL would allow a team do that kind of "creative" hiring to get around the salary cap.
How So ??

Some are made for Fun sure ... But they make a point ... MLSE own lots of companies ..The Basket Ball I gave was joking but why coundn't they offer Lindros a job say as a spokesperson for the Leafs to sell and promote them and give him a huge Salary and then in turn Lindros would agree to a low Cap Friendly Salary ..

Sponsors for instance .. MLSE are very powerful in Toronto .. If they talk and arrange a Nike or Coke a Cola , or Bootlegger, etc deal ... The money is coming from that company to the player directly .. Not from Toronto ..So how could the league stop it .. The Hockey crazed city of Toronto could promote a player and offer something that Columbus and Nashville could not .. 85% of Hockey fans in Canada know who Jeff Carter is for instance .. How many would in the deep South.. Even someone like Crosby .. again in Carolina or Florida really know about the wonder kid ??

Giving Gifts to players is not giving money that would show up in a Contract or or have to fit under the Hard Cap .. MLSE could buy a HOUSE like I joked .. Let Pronger and his family live in it as if it was theirs .. Even if the NHL thought something was up ..All the Leafs would have to do is make it officially prongers house once his NHL career is over in a few year .. I don't believe that the NHL would track down X players and see if if their house was paid for ..

Roberts fitness club .. Another example how to get around a Hard Cap .. Players will be doing something after hockey is over .. MLSE could just defer most of these gifts or investments till after a Career ends, just as long as its officially drawn up now by lawyers..

Heck the MLSE could simply set up a Grand Cayman Joint bank account and put a players Real money in there and sign an NHL contract for much less ..

As a ploice officer you know that now of what I am suggesting is a crime or illegal, just simply was around a sports limitations ..

The Biggest clincher is that the Teams do not open their books so how can anyone now what and where the money is going .. I put Toronto in a very favourable stance thinking that all these options are to win a Stanley Cup ... Think of Chicago know and all the ways an owner can hide money to avoid giving it to players if the NHL got is Hard Cap with linkage new CBA ??

In my world the NEW CBA better say 42.5 Mil Hard Cap , NO Houses, NO Investments, NO Sponsors, NO Gifts, NO Offshore Bank accounts etc ..

Old
03-07-2005, 09:38 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Quote:
How So ??

Some are made for Fun sure ... But they make a point ... MLSE own lots of companies ..The Basket Ball I gave was joking but why coundn't they offer Lindros a job say as a spokesperson for the Leafs to sell and promote them and give him a huge Salary and then in turn Lindros would agree to a low Cap Friendly Salary ..

Sponsors for instance .. MLSE are very powerful in Toronto .. If they talk and arrange a Nike or Coke a Cola , or Bootlegger, etc deal ... The money is coming from that company to the player directly .. Not from Toronto ..So how could the league stop it .. The Hockey crazed city of Toronto could promote a player and offer something that Columbus and Nashville could not .. 85% of Hockey fans in Canada know who Jeff Carter is for instance .. How many would in the deep South.. Even someone like Crosby .. again in Carolina or Florida really know about the wonder kid ??

Giving Gifts to players is not giving money that would show up in a Contract or or have to fit under the Hard Cap .. MLSE could buy a HOUSE like I joked .. Let Pronger and his family live in it as if it was theirs .. Even if the NHL thought something was up ..All the Leafs would have to do is make it officially prongers house once his NHL career is over in a few year .. I don't believe that the NHL would track down X players and see if if their house was paid for ..

Roberts fitness club .. Another example how to get around a Hard Cap .. Players will be doing something after hockey is over .. MLSE could just defer most of these gifts or investments till after a Career ends, just as long as its officially drawn up now by lawyers..

Heck the MLSE could simply set up a Grand Cayman Joint bank account and put a players Real money in there and sign an NHL contract for much less ..

As a ploice officer you know that now of what I am suggesting is a crime or illegal, just simply was around a sports limitations ..

The Biggest clincher is that the Teams do not open their books so how can anyone now what and where the money is going .. I put Toronto in a very favourable stance thinking that all these options are to win a Stanley Cup ... Think of Chicago know and all the ways an owner can hide money to avoid giving it to players if the NHL got is Hard Cap with linkage new CBA ??

In my world the NEW CBA better say 42.5 Mil Hard Cap , NO Houses, NO Investments, NO Sponsors, NO Gifts, NO Offshore Bank accounts etc ..
No disrespect Mess but if scenarios such as those are the best chance of us winning a cup post CBA we are in a whole lot of trouble.

Old
03-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover
No disrespect Mess but if scenarios such as those are the best chance of us winning a cup post CBA we are in a whole lot of trouble.
That isn't the point of this Thread .. Mac asked if Toronto has an advantage over other even with a Cap .. Toronto will still build its team like most of the reat will within the rules but because they have $$$ and the Toronto market, can fin a way to get a Pronger onto the roster creatively perhaps when Cap room is limited and a Cup is with in reach ..

My point here was that there are always other options ... The NHL implemented obstruction - ANYTHING ...and the teams still use trap systems to stretch the limits of the rules of the game ..

My post was also a Shot a Bettman and his insistance on making the Players partners in the business by tying them to league Revenue and If I can show you that while the book are closed, there are just as many ways to make it favourable then Unfavourable for a player to hide money ... In Chicage .. don't insert a Hockey player into each example to improve the Stanley Cup Changes .. insert a brother or cousin or someone else to avoid giving the money to the players...

Old
03-07-2005, 11:58 AM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert
I think it depends how schrewdly management can make some moves.
Never before have the two concepts of "shrewd[ly]" and "[Leafs'] management" been used adjacently in an English sentence.

I have alerted the Guiness people to ready a new entry for their record book.

Old
03-07-2005, 11:58 AM
MacDaddy TLC*

My main point was that there will be limited money to go around with a salary cap. If players are going to take a pay cut (and some creative bonuses--thanks Messenger) what are the chances that Toronto will be their destination of choice?

Old
03-07-2005, 12:02 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

One advantage the Leafs will have is the endorsement dollars players can make while playing here, for some players that will be a big factor.

Old
03-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224
One advantage the Leafs will have is the endorsement dollars players can make while playing here, for some players that will be a big factor.

Quite true. Endorsement dollars here are far from that enjoyed by basketball and baseball players in the u.s. but the money is not negligible and could break a tie in a player's mind. But I wouldn't overplay its value either. Most non-superstars get very little endorsement money.

Old
03-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recidivist
Quite true. Endorsement dollars here are far from that enjoyed by basketball and baseball players in the u.s. but the money is not negligible and could break a tie in a player's mind. But I wouldn't overplay its value either. Most non-superstars get very little endorsement money.
See Tie Domi and Quizno's subs TV commercial for rebuttal argument..

Old
03-07-2005, 01:02 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Quote:
That isn't the point of this Thread .. Mac asked if Toronto has an advantage over other even with a Cap .. Toronto will still build its team like most of the reat will within the rules but because they have $$$ and the Toronto market, can fin a way to get a Pronger onto the roster creatively perhaps when Cap room is limited and a Cup is with in reach ..
My question is how these loopholes are limited to the leafs $$$?
Why wouldn't all the big market teams use similar scams to bolster their rosters?
Then the question becomes where is the advantage.Seems to me things are exactly the same in regards to financial advantage as the pre-cap days with these loopholes.I dont think the other aggressive spenders are going to sit back and watch the leafs gain a competetive advantage by circumventing salary cap restrictions while they themselves tow the Bettman line.

Old
03-07-2005, 01:03 PM
emillie

The Messenger: Because the other 29 teams in the league wouldn't stand for hte Leafs doing that. Theres a reason the Raptors don't do that with their players, other teams would know whats going on and the NHL would fine the Leafs take away draft pick or some other form of punishment for "breaking" the system they lost a year + of hockey to bring in. Its jsut not realistic.

And come on, in Toronto Domi is probably one of the 5 most popular Leafs, hes a huge superstar.

Old
03-07-2005, 03:21 PM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
See Tie Domi and Quizno's subs TV commercial for rebuttal argument..
I never said NO endorsements were available, but you seriously can't argue that there are many endorsement deals like the Domi/Grapes nonsense, or Mats's mother and soup, or Mats/Gretzky of some years ago. The reality is that there are really quite few hockey player endorsements.

Too bad hockey players don't wear sneakers. Air Sundins anyone?

Closed Thread