HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Clowe, Murray, and Greiss at the deadline

Old
01-24-2013, 11:55 AM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJV123 View Post
PHI might make a deal for Clowe and Murray- maybe Simmonds? I don't really like Clowe (I think he's really, really slowed down) but PHI may view him as more of a finisher, and PHI needs D. Simmonds has skill.
Clowe is not a finisher. He's a much better playmaker.

I can see Clowe+Murray for Simmonds+conditional stuff working. However, I'd like someone coming back that is big/nasty enough to protect players like Couture/Pavelski. We would lose a lot of grit with Murray and Clowe gone.

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:56 AM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark View Post
Clowe is not a finisher. He's a much better playmaker.

I can see Clowe+Murray for Simmonds+conditional stuff working. However, I'd like someone coming back that is big/nasty enough to protect players like Couture/Pavelski. We would lose a lot of grit with Murray and Clowe gone.
I'd do Clowe and Murray for Simmonds straight up. I actually think Philly would want the Sharks to add considering they're both UFAs after this season.
Grit is overrated anyway. It's not like the opposing players are saying "Don't hit Couture or else Clowe will fight you". It's more like "Hit Couture, Clowe will fight you, and then we get both of them off the ice." And regardless, Simmonds, Burish, and Desjardins is enough grit.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:58 AM
dave babych returns

Unless the condition is that the Flyers get Simmonds back, I doubt they'd make that trade at all.

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:34 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I'd do Clowe and Murray for Simmonds straight up. I actually think Philly would want the Sharks to add considering they're both UFAs after this season.
Grit is overrated anyway. It's not like the opposing players are saying "Don't hit Couture or else Clowe will fight you". It's more like "Hit Couture, Clowe will fight you, and then we get both of them off the ice." And regardless, Simmonds, Burish, and Desjardins is enough grit.
I think Philly would win that trade if Clowe and Murray re-signs with them, so I had Philly adding some conditional picks. Of course, if neither of them re-sign, then yes we should be the ones adding picks.

I guess you have a point that Simmonds, Burish and Desi (and even McLaren if he plays) is enough grit. I prefer a little more grit on our D though if Murray is traded.

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 50
Talks last year about Clowe ++ for JVR from Philly gave me a huge chubby. I think Philly wanted Couture not Clowe in the deal which killed it from a Sharks perspective.

Not sure how you could pry him from the Leafs now.

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedontneedroads View Post
Talks last year about Clowe ++ for JVR from Philly gave me a huge chubby.

Not sure how you could pry him from the Leafs now though.
You won't.

Kid has sky high potential still, I hope he can reach it. Showed flashes of it yesterday (2G + 1A)

Maybe MacArthur could be traded, not too sure since he just got the A though.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:36 PM
Smif

Franson for Clowe. I don't even know if SJ needs Dmen tho...

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:39 PM
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
Ruh Roh! Not even close to a consideration for every reason possible.

SnarkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

What about a Liles for Clowe swap? Sharks need speed right?

Leafs have a gazillion Dmen right now

Old
01-24-2013, 01:51 PM
The Big D

Clowe + Murray for macA + Franson/Liles? Just expanding on the leafs idea of the last few posts, there was always lots of chatter from both sides on Mac for clowe and I figured the swapping of 2 defenders evened it out. Toronto gets a steady stay at home type that expires at season end and a big body forward, while SJ gets a top 6 winger with speed that better fits their style and a top 4 (Liles) D man with cost control & skills they can use

The Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:52 PM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnarkAttack View Post
Ruh Roh! Not even close to a consideration for every reason possible.
I thought Sharks fans were willing to trade Clowe for MacArthur......

Old
01-24-2013, 01:53 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
Clowe + Murray for macA + Franson/Liles? Just expanding on the leafs idea of the last few posts, there was always lots of chatter from both sides on Mac for clowe and I figured the swapping of 2 defenders evened it out. Toronto gets a steady stay at home type that expires at season end and a big body forward, while SJ gets a top 6 winger with speed that better fits their style and a top 4 (Liles) D man with cost control & skills they can use
Leafs don't need Murray. Komisarek has played great for us so far this year and we have Holzer/Fraser who play a similar game.

Would you guys add Hamilton?

Old
01-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
I would do that trade for Clowe and a mid to late pick.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Vaasa

The Sharks don't need any D coming back (so no Franson, Liles, etc). Unless it's a clear Top 2, like Myers (just throwing an example, not a value).

And if Clowe and Murray are moving, it's not for rentals. It's for young players and/or higher picks. Anything less and it worth more just to keep them.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:58 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
The Sharks don't need any D coming back (so no Franson, Liles, etc). Unless it's a clear Top 2, like Myers (just throwing an example, not a value).

And if Clowe and Murray are moving, it's not for rentals. It's for young players and/or higher picks. Anything less and it worth more just to keep them.
Isn't Clowe himself a rental?

Old
01-24-2013, 01:58 PM
The Big D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Leafs don't need Murray. Komisarek has played great for us so far this year and we have Holzer/Fraser who play a similar game.

Would you guys add Hamilton?
Actually I'm a leafs fan, and holding out hope that Komi plays himself to either a capable top 6 D man or tradable to a team in need closer to the deadline. Holzer stinks, plus I was more going for the angle of D man on expiring ufa > top 6 with 3 years of contract left & a soft melon. If you feel the values low, add picks maybe a 2nd to Toronto?

The Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Isn't Clowe himself a rental?
That's the point. If all the Sharks are getting back is a rental, they will stick with the one they know.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:00 PM
Juxtaposer
Getcho Crayon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Clowe and Murray are exactly what the Leafs want/need.

For Clowe alone, would MacArthur and a 2nd get it done? Leafs add a B-level prospect?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
Quote:
What about a Liles for Clowe swap? Sharks need speed right?

Leafs have a gazillion Dmen right now
Oh boy, the Leafs fans have come.

1) The Sharks are trading Murray because they have too many defensemen.
2) Did you even read the OP? Clowe only goes for a younger, cheaper 2nd liner.
3) Nobody wants MacArthur.

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 04:40 PM
FeedingFrenzy

Greiss isnt going anywhere imo. If Nemo/Sharks fail to win the Cup this year, Niemi will be traded this summer. Good cap hit and many teams needing goaltending(Tor,Cal,Wash,Isles)to name a few. Sharks should get a good return from moving Nemo. Greiss is cheap and no need to trade him. Clowe and Murray could be a package deal or separate trades. Bottom line they must be traded. Something with Carolina, Buffalo, Philly, Toronto wouldn't surprise me.

FeedingFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 04:47 PM
Juxtaposer
Getcho Crayon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy View Post
Greiss isnt going anywhere imo. If Nemo/Sharks fail to win the Cup this year, Niemi will be traded this summer. Good cap hit and many teams needing goaltending(Tor,Cal,Wash,Isles)to name a few. Sharks should get a good return from moving Nemo. Greiss is cheap and no need to trade him. Clowe and Murray could be a package deal or separate trades. Bottom line they must be traded. Something with Carolina, Buffalo, Philly, Toronto wouldn't surprise me.
Alex Stalock.

Old
01-24-2013, 05:11 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Alex Stalock.
I think he's saying that Stalock and Greiss duke it out for #1. Between the 2 of them they should be able to hold the fort, and it means Stalock does not have to step into full #1 duties right off the bat. It lets Sateri get more time and makes room for J.P. Anderson as well.

Old
01-24-2013, 05:14 PM
FeedingFrenzy

Quote:
I think he's saying that Stalock and Greiss duke it out for #1. Between the 2 of them they should be able to hold the fort, and it means Stalock does not have to step into full #1 duties right off the bat. It lets Sateri get more time and makes room for J.P. Anderson as well.
Exactly my point Vaasa, thxs
With our D fully healthy there is no reason Stalock/Greiss couldn't handle the job.

FeedingFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Juxtaposer
Getcho Crayon

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy View Post
Exactly my point Vaasa, thxs
With our D fully healthy there is no reason Stalock/Greiss couldn't handle the job.
I guess it's just me, but I don't think Greiss has a future in SJ, as much as I really like him and think he's very talented. He's a UFA at the end of this season, and unless they trade Niemi before FA begins (which they won't under any circumstances, everyone in the org loves him) there's no reason for Greiss to stay.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:28 AM
CBJenga

Quote:
I guess it's just me, but I don't think Greiss has a future in SJ, as much as I really like him and think he's very talented. He's a UFA at the end of this season, and unless they trade Niemi before FA begins (which they won't under any circumstances, everyone in the org loves him) there's no reason for Greiss to stay.
I completely agree with you. Greiss has been the back up for how many years? He came up, we replaced him with Boucher. Then he came back, and got 16 starts... Then he was sent packing to Europe and now he's back again. IMO, the organization sees him as a known quantity, and doesn't really regard him very highly. They just see him as a functional stop-gap until Stalock/Sateri are ready. I think the guy could be pretty good, but as near as I can tell, the Sharks disagree with me (and many of others).

I honestly think it's more likely, that should Niemi get traded, it's for Stalock and Sateri to battle it out up in the NHL or it's Stalock and some vet goalie.

CBJenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:00 AM
PlayMakers

Quote:
The Sharks are in desperate need of a better-fitting second line winger, and these are guys who are available in a package.

Murray is a bottom-pairing defensive defenseman who is one of the best hitters in the league. Caveat is that he's quite slow.

Clowe is a great 2nd liner, helluva boards player, strong playmaker, and loves to rough it up, but he's just not a great fit on the Sharks. He's a below average skater, and we could better utilize a shooter.

Greiss is an above average back-up, who's cheap, relatively young, and still has starter potential IMHO.

Issue is all will be UFA this summer.

Any ideas?
Everybody will be interested in Clowe. The hard part will be finding a team that has a "shooter" they're willing (and able) to spare.