HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

OHL Overagers Worth Signing

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2013, 10:38 AM
  #1
Brock
Moderator
 
Brock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oakville
Posts: 9,381
vCash: 500
OHL Overagers Worth Signing

My 5th annual Overagers worth signing to NHL deals top 10.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013...h-signing.html

The last four years, number one has signed an NHL deal. This year, I'm not sure the talent level is quite as high (which I think I tried to explain a reason for in my article). This year's number one is Colts' captain Ryan O'Connor.

Thoughts/comments?

__________________
OHL Prospects Blog - http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/
OHL Prospects on Twitter - @BrockOtten
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:41 AM
  #2
JL17
Registered User
 
JL17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: London or Gaspe
Posts: 2,844
vCash: 500
Surprised no mention of Tommy Hughes... He's almost a clone of Marc Methot. Minus the fighting ability.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:31 PM
  #3
djscooter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 499
vCash: 500
Can't help but feel Michael Kantor is a better candidate then a lot of the guys you mentioned in the top 10. Well rounded player who battles hard and physical just runs people over. Has to have some upside as a bottom 6er over some of the other guys on this list.


Last edited by djscooter: 01-13-2013 at 01:44 PM.
djscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:07 PM
  #4
Torts
Registered User
 
Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,433
vCash: 500
i know its a little biased but if im an NHL GM im at least giving Brace a chance at next years camp. when he's on his game even at his size he generates offense and can bug the hell out of the other team. its those games when he's off that may be enough to scare away some GM's

Regardless he might end up finding his home and one of the university's in the Ottawa area (Carleton of U of O)

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:32 AM
  #5
Brock
Moderator
 
Brock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oakville
Posts: 9,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
Surprised no mention of Tommy Hughes... He's almost a clone of Marc Methot. Minus the fighting ability.
Interesting. I guess you've got to see Hughes play on a nightly basis to truly appreciate him.

He's certainly developed into a solid OHL defenseman, but I certainly wouldn't consider him an NHL prospect. I remember watching Methot play with London and he impacted the game in more obvious ways than Hughes does. Even though Methot didn't put up huge offensive numbers, I remember him jumping up in the play at times and moving the puck effectively. I was always waiting for him to breakout offensively. He was also a much more physical player. When he played, he was one of the most feared stay at home guys in the league.

To each their own I suppose.

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:35 AM
  #6
Brock
Moderator
 
Brock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oakville
Posts: 9,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djscooter View Post
Can't help but feel Michael Kantor is a better candidate then a lot of the guys you mentioned in the top 10. Well rounded player who battles hard and physical just runs people over. Has to have some upside as a bottom 6er over some of the other guys on this list.
As I said in the article, I expected Kantor to be on this list at the beginning of the year. But he's had a bit of a disappointing season offensively (partly due to injuries, but still).

He's certainly got a shot of earning an NHL deal (otherwise I wouldn't have named him as an HM), but at this point I'd probably sign a guy like Alderson or Sabourin over him, if I was looking for a potential bottom six guy. Bigger guys who could probably hold up to the rigors of pro hockey a bit better.

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:05 AM
  #7
OSA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 96
vCash: 500
Where's Daniel Zweep?

OSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:18 AM
  #8
Luvtowatch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
i know its a little biased but if im an NHL GM im at least giving Brace a chance at next years camp. when he's on his game even at his size he generates offense and can bug the hell out of the other team. its those games when he's off that may be enough to scare away some GM's

Regardless he might end up finding his home and one of the university's in the Ottawa area (Carleton of U of O)
I love his game too. Brace is a real hockey player.

Luvtowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:43 PM
  #9
Brock
Moderator
 
Brock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oakville
Posts: 9,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSA View Post
Where's Daniel Zweep?
Absent. I admire Zweep for the role he plays for Owen Sound, and the way he wears his heart on his sleeve. But he's not an NHL prospect. The way of the "heavyweight" is on its way to extinction.

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:35 PM
  #10
OSA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 96
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Absent. I admire Zweep for the role he plays for Owen Sound, and the way he wears his heart on his sleeve. But he's not an NHL prospect. The way of the "heavyweight" is on its way to extinction.
It was tongue in cheek. Nice guy but you have to be able to play the game and to say that he is a poor skater is an understatement.

OSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:08 AM
  #11
HLLYWD99
Registered User
 
HLLYWD99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSA View Post
Where's Daniel Zweep?
Preparing for University!

HLLYWD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:15 AM
  #12
HLLYWD99
Registered User
 
HLLYWD99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 405
vCash: 500
Steven Shipley dissapointed in Owen Sound and continued to dissapoint in Niagra, the fact that he is having a decent OA year does not change the fact that he has no edge to his game.
I expect that he will dissapoint at the University level as well!

HLLYWD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:13 PM
  #13
tylermade4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Few guys I think are worthy of the list:
Steven Beyers
Joseph Cramarossa
Thoughts?

tylermade4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:15 AM
  #14
Brock
Moderator
 
Brock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oakville
Posts: 9,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylermade4 View Post
Few guys I think are worthy of the list:
Steven Beyers
Joseph Cramarossa
Thoughts?
Cramarossa didn't qualify for those article because he's NHL drafted. His rights are owned by the Anaheim Ducks and they have until June 1st to sign him.

Beyers is a talented offensive player, but I don't think he's good enough in traffic to warrant NHL attention.

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:00 PM
  #15
Mike Jones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,126
vCash: 500
What about Kevin Bailie?

I know he's not with London anymore (Sounds like it has more to do with age and other considerations than actual performance) but his numbers, at least (Especially his save percentage), look pretty good.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:24 PM
  #16
Brock
Moderator
 
Brock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oakville
Posts: 9,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
What about Kevin Bailie?

I know he's not with London anymore (Sounds like it has more to do with age and other considerations than actual performance) but his numbers, at least (Especially his save percentage), look pretty good.
Bailie was a nice overage acquisition by the Knights. He was brought in to help mentor Jake Patterson, and he did just that. He did a very admirable job on the ice too. But in terms of being an NHL prospect, he unfortunately is not much of one. No other team in the CHL picked him up off waivers and he's now playing in the Maritime Junior A league. He's the perfect candidate to be playing in the CIS next year, taking full advantage of his many years of OHL service.

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:19 AM
  #17
Mike Jones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Bailie was a nice overage acquisition by the Knights. He was brought in to help mentor Jake Patterson, and he did just that. He did a very admirable job on the ice too. But in terms of being an NHL prospect, he unfortunately is not much of one. No other team in the CHL picked him up off waivers and he's now playing in the Maritime Junior A league. He's the perfect candidate to be playing in the CIS next year, taking full advantage of his many years of OHL service.
Great! Nothing wrong with playing hockey in the Maritimes.

Thanks.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 06:11 PM
  #18
JL17
Registered User
 
JL17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: London or Gaspe
Posts: 2,844
vCash: 500
Rumour has it plus a couple of tweet out the say Tommy Hughes has signed a deal with the New York Rangers.

There was a tweet from former teammate D'Orazio congratulating him on the deal.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:17 PM
  #19
blackmarketmob
Registered User
 
blackmarketmob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Waterloo/Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
What about Kevin Bailie?

I know he's not with London anymore (Sounds like it has more to do with age and other considerations than actual performance) but his numbers, at least (Especially his save percentage), look pretty good.
Bailie is committed to Queen's (CIS) for next year.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.