HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Arena deal agreed to by city and Katz group:mod warning #616

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Hockey Nightmare

vCash: 500
That's what they recommended, but if you look at the journal, it seems like a lot of councilors aren't going to go for that.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
That's what they recommended, but if you look at the journal, it seems like a lot of councilors aren't going to go for that.
Hopefully some progress gets made between now and next Wednesday. I hate the idea that they're sitting around twiddling their thumbs waiting to vote "nay." The provincial government has said no time and time again and if Mandel and councilors were just... waiting for their support without a back-up plan then I'm supremely disappointed.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Hockey Nightmare

David Staples suggests using a ticket tax for the last millions. Considering the fact that the place sells out all the time anyway - no matter how much the seats are, I don't see what the issue would be with that. IMO, Katz wouldn't lose much money if any.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
David Staples suggests using a ticket tax for the last millions. Considering the fact that the place sells out all the time anyway - no matter how much the seats are, I don't see what the issue would be with that. IMO, Katz wouldn't lose much money if any.
That's probably the most realistic solution, but would The Katz Group go for it? They've already turned that down haven't they?

Old
05-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Marc08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
That's probably the most realistic solution, but would The Katz Group go for it? They've already turned that down, haven't they?
It is his call if he wants the deal done or not.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:16 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc08 View Post
It is his call if he wants the deal done or not.
Indeed. But when it comes to compromise The Katz Group just refuses time and time again. Another Bettman mediation session might be in order.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Why don't they do something like this...raise the ticket tax for now. Commit to replacing that with any monies that become available in the future (like MSI increases, etc).

Old
05-02-2013, 07:20 PM
Marc08

Quote:
Indeed. But when it comes to compromise The Katz Group just refuses time and time again. Another Bettman mediation session might be in order.
Yes, and the Board of Governors would veto Katz's suggestion of relocating the Oilers if 20 owners or more do not agree Katz's suggestion.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Marc08

Quote:
Why don't they do something like this...raise the ticket tax for now. Commit to replacing that with any monies that become available in the future (like MSI increases, etc).
Raise Ticket Tax?
Not without Katz agreement

Raise MSI?
It is up to the provincial government if there are new MSI.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:23 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Quote:
Raise Ticket Tax?
Not without Katz agreement

Raise MSI?
It is up to the provincial government if there are new MSI.
They would need Katz to agree, yes. But it's basically inevitable there will be new MSI funds of some sort. It's just a question of when.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:25 PM
Marc08

Quote:
They would need Katz to agree, yes. But it's basically inevitable there will be new MSI funds of some sort. It's just a question of when.
It is purely Arena politics. The battle of ideologies imo.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Quote:
It is purely Arena politics. The battle of ideologies imo.
Pretty much.

Gets pretty annoying, doesn't it.

Old
05-02-2013, 08:31 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

OK, I had to clean this thread up again. I am getting tired of doing that in here. So from this point forward I will be very liberal with the thread bans. If you take the thread off topic, you will be removed. And I probably won't respond to requests to be added back. Final warning.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:45 PM
chrisj

Quote:
Hmm.

So lets say they needed to add $2 million/year over 35 years.

$2 million a year / 200 events a year (approx.) = $10,000 needed per event. That's under $1 extra per ticket. Not that unreasonable...

Old
05-02-2013, 10:51 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
Hmm.

So lets say they needed to add $2 million/year over 35 years.

$2 million a year / 200 events a year (approx.) = $10,000 needed per event. That's under $1 extra per ticket. Not that unreasonable...
I don't think over 35 years works. Unless they take that amount out as a loan and pay it off via an increased ticket tax?

Katz must be pissed he gave $400k to the Tori election run and now they won't step up for him. This isn't how politics works!!!

On a separate note, I wonder what's going to happen if the supposed $45M from the province comes off the table since it's not guaranteed. How is city counsel getting away with not questioning this? The $55M that's still missing is really $100M.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:02 PM
chrisj

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
I don't think over 35 years works. Unless they take that amount out as a loan and pay it off via an increased ticket tax?
Yep - that's why I said $2 million per year over 35 years. That's $70 million to account for interest. Not perfect math but even if its $2.5 million per year over 35 years...

(and actually, isn't the city able to borrow at low/no interest?)

Perhaps they could work a deal with the Katz group that if MSI funding becomes available... the ticket tax gets reduced to the original amount. Then everyone who was happy with the original deal is still happy (I realize some people still won't be happy... )

Old
05-02-2013, 11:09 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
Yep - that's why I said $2 million per year over 35 years. That's $70 million to account for interest. Not perfect math but even if its $2.5 million per year over 35 years...

(and actually, isn't the city able to borrow at low/no interest?)

Perhaps they could work a deal with the Katz group that if MSI funding becomes available... the ticket tax gets reduced to the original amount. Then everyone who was happy with the original deal is still happy (I realize some people still won't be happy... )
My bad lol, I see what you're saying.

I think you're right that they're going to have to get a little creative with the funding structure now.

Seems like counsel is getting lazy. They're either for it or against it. No one is bringing any new ideas to the table. I'm assuming no one wants to stick their neck out, but if one of them grew a pair, they could really look good saving this deal when it was starting to look bleak.

Might be a power move for a counselor thinking of replacing Mandel during the next run. But it won't happen.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:43 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
630 CHED tweeted earlier (so take it with a grain of salt) that city administration has recommended that city council still move forward on Wednesday regardless of the 55 million shortfall.

EDIT: They also tweeted this about 13 minutes ago.
It makes the most sense.

Provincial government isn't going to move on the money right now, city council is starting to worry about elections, and everyone really needs this to break ground instead of hitting highly publicized brick walls every few months.

They'll push it past the point of no return, and let some other council take the political fall for having to push the remaining funds into the project 3 years down the road.

Last edited by Tarus: 05-02-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old
05-03-2013, 12:12 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
The master agreement is going to council next Wednesday. Despite the fact that Mayor Mandel keeps promising that the province will make up the shortfall he keeps getting rebuked. Because of that David Staples seems to think that council is going to vote against moving forward on Wednesday because they don't have a back-up plan for the remaining 55 million. Staples seems to be the only one talking about the deal failing so we'll wee what happens.
Thanks, I thought that it would be done by now, holy crap this thing is STILL dragging on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
You're lucky because you can just go to Duke's.
Something just flew over my head apparently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Rising costs weren't the main reason for the 23rd ave interchange costing so much. Incompetence with who was in charge of that project was the issue.

05-03-2013, 12:39 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
It makes the most sense.

Provincial government isn't going to move on the money right now, city council is starting to worry about elections, and everyone really needs this to break ground instead of hitting highly publicized brick walls every few months.

They'll push it past the point of no return, and let some other council take the political fall for having to push the remaining funds into the project 3 years down the road.
Well, with Sohi definitely changing his vote to "nay" without the 55 million what kind of a result could we be potentially looking at? Staples seems to think that the vote is going to sway in favor of "nay" with just a few stragglers like Krushell voting in favor of moving ahead. Thanks to Mandel's promises of provincial money they simply don't have a back-up plan.

Old
05-03-2013, 02:18 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Well, with Sohi definitely changing his vote to "nay" without the 55 million what kind of a result could we be potentially looking at? Staples seems to think that the vote is going to sway in favor of "nay" with just a few stragglers like Krushell voting in favor of moving ahead. Thanks to Mandel's promises of provincial money they simply don't have a back-up plan.
We've been down this road before. The entire negotiation process have been full of political posturing and media grand standing, yet votes come up and the project goes forward regardless - usually with an overwhelming majority. Don't forget that it wasn't all that long ago that the deal was officially "dead", and council members were saying they couldn't fathom it going forward in it's current state. It comes as no surprise there is a report recommendation to go forward without the money the very day that the noise about the deal dying starts to pick up steam, par for course for these negotiations.

As I said, they'll probably vote to move forward, start the building process so there are no more opportunities to back out of the deal. Like any good group of politicians, they'll delay on the remaining missing money until they get the result they want from the provincial government, or someone else has to take the political heat for the fallout if that never happens.

Old
05-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Hockey Nightmare

How much was Glendale city council willing to spend on the situation with the coyotes in that utterly futile mess, and they don't even like hockey down there!

Old
05-03-2013, 09:14 AM
gqmixmaster

vCash: 50
I really don't understand what is wrong with Rexall as it is, it works still and it sells out even given its location. If Katz wants more revenue, he should raise ticket prices. They will raise at the new building anyways.

Old
05-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Metzen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmixmaster View Post
I really don't understand what is wrong with Rexall as it is, it works still and it sells out even given its location. If Katz wants more revenue, he should raise ticket prices. They will raise at the new building anyways.
Have you ever been to another arena? I suggest you go visit Nashville. Beautiful arena, walking distance to downtown... Just leaps and bounds a better experience and atmosphere.

In comparison, Edmonton doesn't even have an AHL quality arena.

Old
05-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmixmaster View Post
If you "don't Understand what's wrong with Rexall", Watch More Closely when they show imagines of the Other buildings around the league. CBC showed shots of the outside of Staples Center (obviously named in honour of David Staples) in LA, if you can't understand the difference between that and Rexall, then I can't help you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metzen View Post
Have you ever been to another arena? I suggest you go visit Nashville. Beautiful arena, walking distance to downtown... Just leaps and bounds a better experience and atmosphere.

In comparison, Edmonton doesn't even have an AHL quality arena.
You hit the Nail on the head, it's old and ugly, no way around it.

Closed Thread