HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

New Arena deal agreed to by city and Katz group:mod warning #616

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2013, 02:41 AM
TripleP

vCash: 500
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I don't know if this is worthy of its own update.

If you want an arena built downtown, you need to speak up. The anti-arena crowd has made a big push and the majority of feedback city council is receiving is negative. Same on the provincial level.

It doesn't matter if you think Katz is a jerk or if you dislike Premier Redford. You need to voice your opinion (respectfully) if you want to see this kind of development in our downtown.

Your emails, phone calls, and social media comments do have an impact. I get that you may want to keep your online persona anonymous but if you call or email, please include your real name.

Contact details at this link: http://www.yegarena.com/2013/05/its-go-time.html

Old
05-05-2013, 05:12 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleP View Post
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I don't know if this is worthy of its own update.

If you want an arena built downtown, you need to speak up. The anti-arena crowd has made a big push and the majority of feedback city council is receiving is negative. Same on the provincial level.

It doesn't matter if you think Katz is a jerk or if you dislike Premier Redford. You need to voice your opinion (respectfully) if you want to see this kind of development in our downtown.

Your emails, phone calls, and social media comments do have an impact. I get that you may want to keep your online persona anonymous but if you call or email, please include your real name.

Contact details at this link: http://www.yegarena.com/2013/05/its-go-time.html

And it's really strange (and scary) how quiet it is on the arena front considering how everything is supposed to be coming to a head on Wednesday.

Old
05-05-2013, 06:54 PM
molsonmuscle360

I have a feeling the situation in Phoenix right now, actually is something that indirectly effects the Oilers arena and ownership situations. I think Katz might budge some more on the arena, because I see him actually getting more involved in the arena management area.

The reason I see the Phoenix situation actually having anything to do with the Oilers though, is that Gary is using Gosbee right now for PR purposes to make it look like they did everything they could to keep the team in Phoenix before they ship them off to Quebec. In return, Gosbee gets first run at buying the Oilers when Katz decides to sell. Now whether Katz will be selling because the arena didn't go through, or because it DID go through, that remains to be seen.

Old
05-05-2013, 09:48 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Apparently, the Downtown Business Association is making a last ditch push tomorrow to convince council that they must go forward with this, 55 million or no 55 million.

Old
05-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Meanashell11

I don't really pay attention to all this as I do not live in Edmonton any longer but it is starting to sound like Quebec separatist votes where one crowd just keeps getting a chance to kill it regardless of the outcome of all the previous "decisions".

How many times does this need to be approved before the damn thing is final? I thought shovels were hitting the ground any day now.

Old
05-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post
I don't really pay attention to all this as I do not live in Edmonton any longer but it is starting to sound like Quebec separatist votes where one crowd just keeps getting a chance to kill it regardless of the outcome of all the previous "decisions".

How many times does this need to be approved before the damn thing is final? I thought shovels were hitting the ground any day now.
its more like...

Council: Vote to approve... Approved!

Media: Ok, but how are you going to pay for the missing $100/55 million?

Council: Vote to approve.... Approved!

Old
05-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
its more like...

Council: Vote to approve... Approved!

Media: Ok, but how are you going to pay for the missing $100/55 million?

Council: Vote to approve.... Approved!
We might see a combo breaker on Wednesday with Sohi and Anderson already confirming their "nay" votes.

Old
05-06-2013, 05:59 PM
jbean

The arena debacle seems like it is consistent with how both the city and the Oilers generally do things.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:29 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

It's obviously small potatoes compared to an arena but I still find it humorous that the Alberta government sees fit to fund "Oil Change."

Old
05-07-2013, 12:56 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Its unfair to selectively blame Edmonton, and city council, for whether this goes or not.

As much as people say look at all the cities that built arenas in the last couple decades how many are being built ANYWHERE right now and in these uncertain financial times?

This is a big risk and gamble. Big ticket entertainment as a concept could be dead and gone in a year. Who really knows? Is Katz concern over this at all legit? I would imagine he would know more about the upcoming economic climate and storm than anybody posting, talking, or deciding on the matter.

In times of unprecedented precious metals value, of GIC's Bonds, any secure investment being most attractive and markets least attractive and virtually no economic gambles happening out there is it really surprising that nobody considers this a great time for a huge arena investment?

Its a fair question to ask.

Old
05-07-2013, 12:58 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
It's obviously small potatoes compared to an arena but I still find it humorous that the Alberta government sees fit to fund "Oil Change."
For the small amount of production costs and market saturation I imagine it pays for itself in advertising.

This is a low budget production. How much could it possibly cost?

Old
05-07-2013, 08:50 AM
Gord
failed rebuild

vCash: 482
I'm starting to think the hit to the image of the city with cost them more than the missing 55 million if they vote no.
after all this time, effort and money already spent to just solidify Edmonton as being a frontier outpost and Hicksville.
people I speak with outside of the city already think the whole drawn out process is a joke and it will reflect quite poorly on the image of the city if the bail on it now.

Edmonton. where progress goes to die.
there is your new city slogan if they quit on the arena deal.
that's all people will think.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:56 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I'm starting to think the hit to the image of the city with cost them more than the missing 55 million if they vote no.
after all this time, effort and money already spent to just solidify Edmonton as being a frontier outpost and Hicksville.
people I speak with outside of the city already think the whole drawn out process is a joke and it will reflect quite poorly on the image of the city if the bail on it now.

The city has stepped up to the plate. Its the provincial govt that has left everyone hanging.

Do not areas outside of Edmonton benefit from the Oilers and an arena in Edmonton? People from Sherwood park, St Albert, Beaumont, Spruce Grove, Whitecourt, Red Deer, Fort Mac, and a hundred other communities never watch the Oilers on tv, go to a game at Rexall, or see concerts in Edmonton?

Its a disgrace, and I would hope anyone who wants to see the new arena completed, and is a fan of the Oilers will remember this come the next provincial election.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:00 AM
Gord
failed rebuild

vCash: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The city has stepped up to the plate. Its the provincial govt that has left everyone hanging.

Do not areas outside of Edmonton benefit from the Oilers and an arena in Edmonton? People from Sherwood park, St Albert, Beaumont, Spruce Grove, Whitecourt, Red Deer, Fort Mac, and a hundred other communities never watch the Oilers on tv, go to a game at Rexall, or see concerts in Edmonton?

Its a disgrace, and I would hope anyone who wants to see the new arena completed, and is a fan of the Oilers will remember this come the next provincial election.
I have a pretty long list of reasons why the red tories and redford government has been ruining the province and I hate them. this can be another one.

I still think the negative perception will stick to the city, no matter whose fault it may turn out to be that all the funding wasn't secured, and it's the image of the city that will take the biggest hit.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:

The number of people outside of Edmonton who are both aware of and interested in this arena situation is probably negligible.

A hockey rink isn't going to make the slightest difference in people's perception of Edmonton.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I have a pretty long list of reasons why the red tories and redford government has been ruining the province and I hate them. this can be another one.

I still think the negative perception will stick to the city, no matter whose fault it may turn out to be that all the funding wasn't secured, and it's the image of the city that will take the biggest hit.
But the alternative would be worse. Clearly, for Edmonton. Remember the Airport fiasco for one.

For one party Edmonton isn't even considered an autonomous city. Its a service depot for northern Alberta and Edmontonians can burn in a lake of fire..

Old
05-07-2013, 10:21 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
The number of people outside of Edmonton who are both aware of and interested in this arena situation is probably negligible.

A hockey rink isn't going to make the slightest difference in people's perception of Edmonton.
Yeah right. You do realize that the Oilers are the only saving grace for that city, right? And you might think people are idiots, but they know about the arena. They don't know the details, but they know and expect one to be coming.

Old
05-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Hockey Nightmare
Welcome to Edmonton

This whole issue shows up semi-regularly on national news sites including tsn from time to time. People know it's going on if they don't know the exact details.

Old
05-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Yeah right. You do realize that the Oilers are the only saving grace for that city, right? And you might think people are idiots, but they know about the arena. They don't know the details, but they know and expect one to be coming.
I honestly have no idea what you are on about with this.

Old
05-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Beatle17

Interesting read on Sportsnet today. Apparently they had a rally yesterday and only 125 people showed up. I want to see the arena built also but if only 125 people can show up to a rally it doesn't really put any pressure on politicians to do anything.

Best of luck getting it done.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Yeah right. You do realize that the Oilers are the only saving grace for that city, right? .
What does this mean? Who cares?

Quote:
And you might think people are idiots, but they know about the arena. They don't know the details, but they know and expect one to be coming
Who are these people? I can't imagine anyone outside Edmonton beyond a few hardcore hockey fans and political junkies are even aware that there's a discussion going on.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Hockey Nightmare
Welcome to Edmonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
Interesting read on Sportsnet today. Apparently they had a rally yesterday and only 125 people showed up. I want to see the arena built also but if only 125 people can show up to a rally it doesn't really put any pressure on politicians to do anything.
I really want this thing to happen but it's hard to be overly enthusiastic given all the crap that's gone on and how long it's gone on for. I suspect many other supporters feel the same way.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:30 AM
fysloc

vCash: 50
Is there an attendence number for the anti arena rally? if there was one? I didn't even know about the rally until after it happened.

Also, the time of the rally sucks for most people, as they are all working.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:38 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:

Who are these people? I can't imagine anyone outside Edmonton beyond a few hardcore hockey fans and political junkies are even aware that there's a discussion going on.
So you think no one really knew that GM place was getting upgrade or that the Riders were working on getting a new barn or Quebec was in talks for an arena?

Old
05-07-2013, 11:39 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:

There are tens if not hundreds of thousands of people who are not Edmonton residents that would use the new arena every year. Pretty ignorant to think other wise.

Closed Thread