HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 1

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 12:07 AM
CanadianSuperPromise

vCash: 50
im preparing for a flaming of a lifetime but...

Hall
Whitney
(maybe Gagner)
1st or 2st rounder

for a #1 d-man and #2C

then sign clowe and another defense-man

then trade hemsky for some skilled grit.

edit:
example lineup:

clowe-RNH-Ebs
(gritty player)-Hanzal-yak
Hart.-horcoff-jones
MPS-belanger-eager

J.Schultz-OEL
Smid-Petry
N.shultz-fistric

Last edited by CanadianSuperPromise: 01-27-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old
01-27-2013, 12:11 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post

Hall
Whitney
(maybe Gagner)
1st or 2st rounder

for a #1 d-man and #2C

How can you tell the Oilers lost in an ugly way tonight?

Old
01-27-2013, 12:16 AM
CanadianSuperPromise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
How can you tell the Oilers lost in an ugly way tonight?
lol i've been meaning to post this for last couple days. Honestly imo Hall's on ice impact is becoming overrated. we expect hall to play a solid N/S game, but i barely see. I think his lack of hockey iq will greatly prevent him from becoming the player were all expecting. I think the impact of a 1D and a tough #2C, will greatly benefit us more then hall's deke and turnover play.

edit: i guess it's only been 4 games, and hall is known to be a slow starter, but if there's no progression, my opinon stands.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:35 AM
Paralyzer008

Just thinking about it, if we had our stupid 3rd rounder....

we could have given O'Reilly an offer sheet, and if the Avs didn't match, then we would have had the flexibility to be okay with trading Gagner and Hemsky for a D man.

I know people were saying Yandle would be impossible to get, but lately PHX has been using OEL as the No.1 guy, so I think they would be more flexible now to move Yandle if it meant offense coming back

Gagner, Paajarvi and Whitney for Yandle

Then we could trade for Penner for picks/Potter/Peckham to get size

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Yakupov-O'Reilly-Hemsky
Penner-Horcoff-Smyth
Petrell-Belanger-Jones

J.Schultz-Yandle
Smid-Petry
N.Schultz-Fistric

Dubnyk
Khabby/Danis

Sorry we just lost, so I'm obligated to start making pipe dream posts in my frustration

Old
01-27-2013, 12:36 AM
Horseradish

Quote:
lol i've been meaning to post this for last couple days. Honestly imo Hall's on ice impact is becoming overrated. we expect hall to play a solid N/S game, but i barely see. I think his lack of hockey iq will greatly prevent him from becoming the player were all expecting. I think the impact of a 1D and a tough #2C, will greatly benefit us more then hall's deke and turnover play.

edit: i guess it's only been 4 games, and hall is known to be a slow starter, but if there's no progression, my opinon stands.
No. Just no.

Hall, as of last season, already outchances and outshoots the opposition heftily, and that's against top-end ops too. He was easily our best forward last year in terms of where the puck was going when he was on the ice. Not Eberle, and not even close.

I think you may be right in the sense that the other 3 kids are better gifted offensively, but Hall's hockey IQ is exactly why he's a very special player. Because even though he doesn't have the offensive gifts of the others (I'm not 100% on that either, it's just by my eye), he still gets the play going in the right direction and prevents other teams from getting chances on him far better than any of the other young forwards. He and Hemsky. Gagner looked like he turned a corner last year, but he's been less than impressive this year in that regard.

Gagner? Generally I think you're right. We'll probably have to upgrade on him sooner or later, or insert more toughness in the lineup using Hemsky as the catalyst. One of those two guys won't be here for the long-term, if I were a betting man. But right now? I think it would be folly to trade Gagner unless we had a very significant piece coming back. Why? Because it's become very clear to me watching interviews, reading about the team, and seeing how players respond to him, that he is quietly one of the leaders and mentors of the youth on this team, despite his own young age. And if the team wants to compete for the playoffs this year, I don't think they can afford to shake up the locker room as much as dealing Gagner would do...or at least not at the start of the year with 3 rooks in the lineup, a couple of sophomores, and a bunch of others in their first 3-4 years.

Whitney? Yes. Jettison him. He's been noticeably the worst d-man in every game, on a team that's looked average-at-best defensively in almost every game. He makes Cory Cross seem like a "steadying influence". Though I'm not sure, for now, that he has any value. His greatest value might just be in sending him down to the minors for now to get some more confidence and face an easier opposition in the hopes that they can trade him for a mid-round pick around the deadline for a playoff team looking for a #7/8 depth man. By the same token, I'm all in favor of bringing Brett Clark up to fill his #6 spot alongside Fistric.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:45 AM
CantHaveTkachev
Year 108

vCash: 314
Quote:

Hall
Whitney
(maybe Gagner)
1st or 2st rounder

for a #1 d-man and #2C

yay! panic trades!!

this board is loopy after a loss

Hall isn't going anywhere...#1 LWer whose still putting up point despite average at best play

Whitney is a toss in at this point

Gagner has been one of our best forward in the early season so far

I want ROR as much as the next guy, but not for that package...plus we got J.Schultz, whose a complete stud at the moment

Old
01-27-2013, 12:53 AM
backhandsauce

vCash: 934
Bouwmeester would help us out. Once Whitney is gone he would be great in our top four. He played great tonight. (This isn't Bob Stauffer)

Smid-Petry
J.Shultz-Bouwmeester
N.Schultz-Fistric

The only problem is cap management. We have to squeeze him in somehow.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:55 AM
Draiskull

vCash: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
Bouwmeester would help us out. Once Whitney is gone he would be great in our top four. He played great tonight. (This isn't Bob Stauffer)

Smid-Petry
J.Shultz-Bouwmeester
N.Schultz-Fistric

The only problem is cap management. We have to squeeze him in somehow.
tonight wasnt your typical JBo... Dont judge the guy based on this game.. He is normally not this good..

Old
01-27-2013, 01:16 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
tonight wasnt your typical JBo... Dont judge the guy based on this game.. He is normally not this good..
Yup. The way he ratcheted up his game tonight really disgusted me. He was on the ice for what? 9 of the first 11 goals that the Flames allowed this season?

Old
01-27-2013, 01:30 AM
Cam98

we need to get bigger, i would love to see Oilers go after Clowe in off-season to play wing instead of hemsky, and to try trade gagenr to acquire bigger top 6 C someone like berglund.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:18 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam98 View Post
we need to get bigger, i would love to see Oilers go after Clowe in off-season to play wing instead of hemsky, and to try trade gagenr to acquire bigger top 6 C someone like berglund.
Clowe is the dream. What do you offer a player like that? $4.5 mil for 5/6 years? Is that enough? He would be incredibly useful on the 1st or 2nd line. Eberle and RNH would go to town with a force like that on their line.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:47 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

We don't have a shot at quality UFA's at the best of times (well, 'cept for Schultz) but with the perpetual loser that Tambi has cultivated no vet in their right mind will ever consider us.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:50 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Panic proposals! Panic proposals evvvvvvrywhere!

Old
01-27-2013, 02:54 AM
Draiskull

vCash: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
We don't have a shot at quality UFA's at the best of times (well, 'cept for Schultz) but with the perpetual loser that Tambi has cultivated no vet in their right mind will ever consider us.
Yes who would want to be a part of team with this much skill
I know e lost tonight but lets not get carried away.. The Oilers team is the new sexy chic on the block.. if we get close to the playoffs this year... we'll become a desireable destination for UFAs

Old
01-27-2013, 03:07 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Yes who would want to be a part of team with this much skill
I know e lost tonight but lets not get carried away.. The Oilers team is the new sexy chic on the block.. if we get close to the playoffs this year... we'll become a desireable destination for UFAs
I'm not suggesting that Arnott speaks for every vet in the league but from the way he was talking during his interview with CHED last year.... babysitting a bunch of talented kids in their early 20's isn't really something that the over 30 crowd is looking for. They want to sign with established, guaranteed winners, preferably in *cough* attractive markets. Places where they can put down roots in retirement.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:26 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I'm not suggesting that Arnott speaks for every vet in the league but from the way he was talking during his interview with CHED last year.... babysitting a bunch of talented kids in their early 20's isn't really something that the over 30 crowd is looking for. They want to sign with established, guaranteed winners, preferably in *cough* attractive markets. Places where they can put down roots in retirement.
I think Clowe is still 28 years old.

Hopefully we can add some quality veteran UFA's in the off season. I don't think it's going to be a huge problem attracting them considering the core we have. The roster is wide open for certain types of players, so we probably wouldn't attract 40 goal scorers but a physical player that can score could get loads of ice time and put up some solid numbers. We don't need to sign superstars at this point, we need guys that can play well 5 on 5 and wear other teams down. If Tambellini actually pursues these types of players he should by all means be able to get us some help.

Nabbing a #1 goalie or dman is a different story though.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:31 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
I think Clowe is still 28 years old.

Hopefully we can add some quality veteran UFA's in the off season. I don't think it's going to be a huge problem attracting them considering the core we have. The roster is wide open for certain types of players, so we probably wouldn't attract 40 goal scorers but a physical player that can score could get loads of ice time and put up some solid numbers. We don't need to sign superstars at this point, we need guys that can play well 5 on 5 and wear other teams down. If Tambellini actually pursues these types of players he should by all means be able to get us some help.

Nabbing a #1 goalie or dman is a different story though.
I hope you're right. It's damn frustrating. During the MacT years outside of '06 we had an abundance of grit and sandpaper but no high end skill. Which is by far the hardest thing to acquire. Now we have skill up the wazoo and nothing else.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:07 AM
Lessy

We need to add some serious beef to our group of forwards. This doesn't really come as a surprise to many but I think it's even more of a pressing issue than the blueline right now which is good enough to get by for now. Maybe an upgrade on Whitney would be nice but I feel like the problem up front is more pressing. No one can generate a cycle or forecheck. Petrell, Belanger, Smyth and Horcoff have been awful for the past calendar year plus and Paajarvi and Hartikainen are still too green to get it done on a consistent basis. I took a look at the pending UFAs this summer and there's a few guys that would really help here.

Jarome Iginla: This is probably a pipe dream and then some but he's from Edmonton and he'd look nice as a second line C behind RNH. If we buyout Horcoff, which should be a natural decision, Iggy could be that big centre that we need and we would have that cap space to make a legit offer thanks to the buyout. I'd offer 5 years, 30 million or 3 years, 21 million if I was Tambo. He'd have the best linemates here that he's ever had and he'd make us a legitimate playoff team.

Brenden Morrow: I know he's getting up there and past his prime but he's a very good third line winger capable of playing up a line. He has heart, experience and great leadership and he's a banger that is good on the cycle. The fact that he's from western Canada only adds to the appeal. He's getting worn down and aging but I'd still offer 3 years 12 million.

Nathan Horton: I'm not as high on him as most because of the concussion problems and the fact that he isn't consistently physical which would drive us nets. I feel like there's other teams that could outbid us for him if I was Tambo but he's a big body and a great scrapper that can put up points and is still young. I'd go 4 years, 20 million.

Ryane Clowe: He's mean, durable and can produce offensively. A beast of a fighter and a bit of a loose cannon that's good on the boards. Still in his prime as well. I'd offer the same 4 years, 20 million I'd give Horton.

David Clarkson: Not sure what his market value would be but he'd fit well here I feel in our top nine. Obviously can't expect the 30 goals he put up last year but he's got edge and tons of intangibles and playoff experience. I'd go 4 years, 16 million for the guy.

There's five guys that would be huge for our grit in the top 9 and provide some protection. Obviously some will get resigned by their current teams but Tambo needs to be in on these guys.

Hypothetical lineup:

Smyth-RNH-Eberle
Yakupov-Iginla-Hemsky
Hall-Gagner-Horton

Obviously Iginla is a pipe dream but I feel like the Oilers will need to employ three balanced lines like this for when they are ready to contend for a cup.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:22 AM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

What would you give for ROR.

I would do Gagner + 2nd for him, though I do like Gagner.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:33 AM
n00b1AnPr1nc355

No doubt that the Oilers are too soft AND that they have no discipline. Last nights game was atrocious to watch and they couldnt stay out of the box and are such a bunch of ******* that it doesnt matter what liberties are taken on them.

Players like glencross have been the biggest mistake to let go. Jones would be another.

Right now we need more Jones/Glencross players than we do anything else. Whitney is a tool out there and has been one of the worst players on the ice. I hope to god we let him go or trade him. Id rather he not be here than be here at all.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:33 AM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post

First of, you'd have to do better.

Secondly, Colorado is very unlikely to trade him within the division.

ROR is a beast defensively. No way the Avs want to see him shutting down their guys 8 times a year for the next decade. We'd have to offer one of the big five to make that palatable.

Would love to have him here, though. RNH-ROR would be one helluva 1-2 punch going forward.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:37 AM
Mcnotloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post

This would meet the rumoured asking price. I've liked Gagner's offensive play, but his faceoffs have been the worst on the team so far, and his defensive play has been questionable.

That said his offensive production has given him value, and you have to give value to get it. I'd like to bring in ROR and replace Hemsky with someone that has a bit more size to him. I'll pencil in Harti for now.

Hall ROR Eberle
Harti RNH Yakupov

Old
01-27-2013, 09:51 AM
Metamind

trade hall, eberle, RNH, yakapov, for picks and prospects, we need to blow this thing up already

Old
01-27-2013, 09:56 AM
Mcnotloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b1AnPr1nc355 View Post
No doubt that the Oilers are too soft AND that they have no discipline. Last nights game was atrocious to watch and they couldnt stay out of the box and are such a bunch of ******* that it doesnt matter what liberties are taken on them.

Players like glencross have been the biggest mistake to let go. Jones would be another.

Right now we need more Jones/Glencross players than we do anything else. Whitney is a tool out there and has been one of the worst players on the ice. I hope to god we let him go or trade him. Id rather he not be here than be here at all.
I agree we need to keep Jones. And if Paajarvi can keep growing in the role he has been playing, we need him too. He's been good on the PK, but he's been one of our problems with 5 on 5 play.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:01 AM
McDangler97
5-14-6-1

Our weakness is not our top six. It's our bottom six and defense that are atrocious. Goaltending has looked average so far but you can't blame Dubnyk for being hung out to dry on some of those goals. This team needs a bit of Yandle and Glencross

Closed Thread