HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 1

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 06:31 PM
#ualberta

vCash: 500
@KatieStrangESPN: #NYR Tentative one-year deal between Rangers and Jason Arnott is OFF, source tells ESPN NY. Was not cleared by NYR team doctors
@JSportsnet: JArnott does not pass NYR physical.

Wow I guess he was really out of shape

Old
01-27-2013, 06:32 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
I wish we could separate the Rumors from the Proposals. My brain hurts reading some of these proposals while I'm searching for a rumor

Old
01-27-2013, 06:46 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
I'd like to see us shopping any of Ryan Whitney, Nick Schultz, Horcoff, Hemsky, plus one of Hartikainen / Paajarvi/ any AHL prospect another team might desire, plus picks for an upgrade at D. If Horcoff goes in a package (who knows), another C of some capability would have to come back.

I believe Hemsky is finally full-on expendable and he is healthy which means he might be tradable.

NICK SCHULTZ, I can't believe there was so much praise for him last year ( I was abroad for the Spring). The guy is marketed as a rock solid D-man with both defensive prowess and physicality... He has made almost as many chaos plays as the rest of the D. Not that he has been terrible or anything, just that he is NOT a rock, and a rock is what we need. Some sort of 20P D-man with SOME size, experience, and defensive prowess/reliability.

I don't think I have to say anything about Horc or Whitney. Horc has some value to this team but if he has value to another team then we can certainly let him go.
Right now is not the time to make any moves of significance, as the team is still not good enough to go into the play-offs. Another top 5-10 pick this year is almost guaranteed. I would like Tambellini to get really busy in the off-season. Get rid of some dead-weight (Whitney, Habibulin, Potter), pursue a 2C and a top 4 defenseman in a free agency. Use some of the soft top 6 forwards (Hemsky, Gagner) and secondary prospects (Paajarvi) to trade for strong 3rd liners.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:50 PM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
That's one of the guys we can't afford to lose.

He's the first truculent player who isn't a complete slug to come around though our system in a while. He could be our Glencross. He has top 6 upside and is a physical force.
Re: Hartikainen

I haven't seen him hit one guy yet this year so your truculence and physical foce comment is quite peculiar.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:01 PM
Hugo Stiglitz

vCash: 1439
Any free agents still out there that could help us out?

Old
01-27-2013, 07:01 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post

I haven't seen him hit one guy yet this year so your truculence and physical foce comment is quite peculiar.
Hits 3rd most by forwards... With a lot less minutes

Old
01-27-2013, 07:17 PM
backhandsauce

Second line C we are looking for is in Florida. Steven Weiss. He is a ufa at the end of the year. Florida is struggling. I wonder what they would want in return.

Get him here and lock him up before July 1st.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
I'd like to see us shopping any of Ryan Whitney, Nick Schultz, Horcoff, Hemsky, plus one of Hartikainen / Paajarvi/ any AHL prospect another team might desire, plus picks for an upgrade at D. If Horcoff goes in a package (who knows), another C of some capability would have to come back.

I believe Hemsky is finally full-on expendable and he is healthy which means he might be tradable.

NICK SCHULTZ, I can't believe there was so much praise for him last year ( I was abroad for the Spring). The guy is marketed as a rock solid D-man with both defensive prowess and physicality... He has made almost as many chaos plays as the rest of the D. Not that he has been terrible or anything, just that he is NOT a rock, and a rock is what we need. Some sort of 20P D-man with SOME size, experience, and defensive prowess/reliability.

I don't think I have to say anything about Horc or Whitney. Horc has some value to this team but if he has value to another team then we can certainly let him go.
Hmmm, I recall quite a few people thinking this was a terrible trade. Gilbert was clearly worth a lot more than Schultz ..... Tamblowe schooled once again!

Old
01-27-2013, 07:22 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post

Fair enough I guess. Did you not notice him be a beast on the forecheck and behind the net in the first three games? He doesn't lay people out, but he doesn't skate past anyone either.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Man, we're really hurting when we're yearning for a stiff like Tom Gilbert.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:37 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Man, we're really hurting when we're yearning for a stiff like Tom Gilbert.
Yeah, a 24 min a night plus player in Minny .... A real stiff when compared to the 17 min a night -3 player we got in return. Schulz is a perfect no 5 d-man, but when you trade a smooth skating, 2-3 d-man straight across for him, you need to be fired.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
@KatieStrangESPN: #NYR Tentative one-year deal between Rangers and Jason Arnott is OFF, source tells ESPN NY. Was not cleared by NYR team doctors
@JSportsnet: JArnott does not pass NYR physical.

Wow I guess he was really out of shape
Probably more likely injury related.

I guess that means he's done. Props to Arnott for a solid career.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Yeah, a 24 min a night plus player in Minny .... A real stiff when compared to the 17 min a night -3 player we got in return. Schulz is a perfect no 5 d-man, but when you trade a smooth skating, 2-3 d-man straight across for him, you need to be fired.
Gilbert... Schultz... it doesn't matter. If the Oilers want to be contenders in the future then they need better players than that playing big minutes on their top two defensive pairings. The Wild have something that we don't have: A top ten defenseman in the National Hockey League in Ryan Suter - Gibby is riding shotgun. We all saw what Chris Pronger did for Bergeron. I'm not sweating Gilbert looking "good" in Minnesota.

That said we'll always be in agreement that Timid Tambi is the worst general manager in the NHL.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Tedi

Quote:
It was a good trade then, it is a good trade now. That A on Schultz's jersey means a lot. Look who he's paired with, it may take some time to pump the stats for your liking.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:59 PM
jsho

Quote:
Yes...we should base who won that trade off of the first 4 games of the season after a lockout.

Last season based on how they finished the years we won that trade. Easily. Gilbert lacked any physical play and pretty much lost any battle for the puck in his own end.

Gilbert is paired with one of the leagues top dmen Ryan Suter and Nick Schultz is paired with a rookie. Need to look at it more than just numbers from a couple games.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:04 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Gilbert... Schultz... it doesn't matter. If the Oilers want to be contenders in the future then they need better players than that playing big minutes on their top two defensive pairings. The Wild have something that we don't have: A top ten defenseman in the National Hockey League in Ryan Suter - Gibby is riding shotgun. We all saw what Chris Pronger did for Bergeron. I'm not sweating Gilbert looking "good" in Minnesota.

That said we'll always be in agreement that Timid Tambi is the worst general manager in the NHL.
Well, we agree to disagree ... funny, after the trade last year he averaged 27 min a night in Minny .... who was carrying him then?

Old
01-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Well, we agree to disagree ... funny, after the trade last year he averaged 27 min a night in Minny .... who was carrying him then?
He wasn't blowing anybody away. Nick Schultz has looked awful this year but after he was acquired last year he was a breath of fresh air on our blueline.

Old
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Stiglitz View Post
Any free agents still out there that could help us out?
Dwayne Roloson

Old
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
Yes...we should base who won that trade off of the first 4 games of the season after a lockout.

Last season based on how they finished the years we won that trade. Easily. Gilbert lacked any physical play and pretty much lost any battle for the puck in his own end.

Gilbert is paired with one of the leagues top dmen Ryan Suter and Nick Schultz is paired with a rookie. Need to look at it more than just numbers from a couple games.
That mind set is exactly why the Oilers will neve win anything. The sheep in this town will believe everything Oilers is sweet and rosey, and everything that leaves this town is garbage. I guess winning every trade, making the perfect draft pick with every selection is not enough to get ahead in this league, eh?

Old
01-27-2013, 08:06 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlapse vertigo View Post
he wasn't blowing anybody away. Nick schultz has looked awful this year but after he was acquired last year he was a breath of fresh air on our blueline.
he was playing 27 min a night against top competion .... What does that tell you!!!!

Old
01-27-2013, 08:07 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Gagner, Hemsky, Klefbom, MPS (+ 2nd 2013 if not enough)

For

OEL, Hanzal, Torres

Put Hanzal with Hall and Ebs for defensive presence. Put Torres with Nuge and Yak for grit and Toughness
Why would PHX do this, they are not going to trade OEL; that is like EDM trading Eberle.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:08 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
I wonder if people remember where we finished with Gilbert playing all those minutes...

Old
01-27-2013, 08:08 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Where he posted 5 assists in 20 gp and a -5 rating...your point is??

Old
01-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
he was playing 27 min a night against top competion .... What does that tell you!!!!
Yeah, but was he helping the Wild win? I do agree that we have a tendency to scoff at our players and cast them away. That said, why don't those players blossom while they're here? Coaching? Are they unhappy with the city? A combination of things? Who knows.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:13 PM
rockinghockey

I would take Nick Schultz over Gilbert any day, don't care what he is doing, he is playing with Suter, enough said.

Closed Thread