HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 1

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 08:14 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
So you're saying Hemsky and Whitney are on the block. Hopefully Tambi can find that top 4 defender we need.
Personally I'm fine with the D, some of it just needs to knock the rust off, also with what the Oilers have coming up the pipeline, why. As to Hemsky and Whitney if the right offer came along they would be traded, as will Gagner. Note the Oilers are not going to trade them for a quick fix, they'll be trade for the future.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:18 PM
rockinghockey

It has only been 4 games, we have a young team so this is how it is going to be this year. Our defense is the best it has been in years. It will get better. I am happy with how the team is this year. Yes, I wish they would win more but the are exciting to watch and are young. Next year with Khabi, Whitney and Jones probally won't be resigned. Resign Smid and Fistric, then go after a top 4 dman and a 2C with size. I like Gagner but we do need a bigger 2C.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:19 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Personally I'm fine with the D, some of it just needs to knock the rust off, also with what the Oilers have coming up the pipeline, why. As to Hemsky and Whitney if the right offer came along they would be traded, as will Gagner. Note the Oilers are not going to trade them for a quick fix, they'll be trade for the future.
I agree with you on this one.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
Second line C we are looking for is in Florida. Steven Weiss. He is a ufa at the end of the year. Florida is struggling. I wonder what they would want in return.

Get him here and lock him up before July 1st.
Stephen Weiss is basically a matured Sam Gagner aka not the answer to our problems. Getzlaf and Iginla are the only C's that really suit our needs on the UFA market this summer and I'd be surprised if even one of them considered us (maybe Iginla?)

Old
01-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I would take Nick Schultz over Gilbert any day, don't care what he is doing, he is playing with Suter, enough said.
Every GM in the NHL (excpet Tamblo) would take Gilbert every day of the week over Schultz, nuff said.

Minni must love Edmonton; here is an interesting stat, Brodziak has won in excess of 55% of his faceoff's this year ... which Oiler is better? What did we get for Brodziak again?

Also, anyone know how to find the number of hits thrown on the NHL website ... i can't seem to find it ... and I wonder if the gritier Nick Schultz is a myth, could Gilbert be besting him in that category as well?

Old
01-27-2013, 08:39 PM
OILSLICK94

Enough with the Nick Schultz bashing here.....it's four fricken games into the season.

As I'm reading this thread I see Perron make Tom Gilbert eat the boards as he walks around him behind the Wild goal line, enough said.... Yes that small guy Perron

Old
01-27-2013, 08:39 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
Stephen Weiss is basically a matured Sam Gagner aka not the answer to our problems. Getzlaf and Iginla are the only C's that really suit our needs on the UFA market this summer and I'd be surprised if even one of them considered us (maybe Iginla?)
Iggy's a RW.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:40 PM
McTedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Every GM in the NHL (excpet Tamblo) would take Gilbert every day of the week over Schultz, nuff said.

Minni must love Edmonton; here is an interesting stat, Brodziak has won in excess of 55% of his faceoff's this year ... which Oiler is better? What did we get for Brodziak again?

Also, anyone know how to find the number of hits thrown on the NHL website ... i can't seem to find it ... and I wonder if the gritier Nick Schultz is a myth, could Gilbert be besting him in that category as well?
Anyone with eyeballs can tell you that Nick Schultz plays tougher than Tommy G. And your first statement has no validity at all, it can not be proven at all, nuff said

Old
01-27-2013, 08:47 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:

Are you on drugs or you just haven't watch Gilbert the last few year. The guy is soft and a give away in his own end. I am so glad we have N. Schultz instead of Gilbert.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:50 PM
rockinghockey

Talking to fans on the CBJ and they would trade Nikitin for either
Jones & 2nd
or the two 2nd round picks we have.
I would be all over that to get a 26yr old dman with size that is a top 4 dman.
Thoughts guys, what do you think he is worth?

Old
01-27-2013, 08:53 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Are you on drugs or you just haven't watch Gilbert the last few year. The guy is soft and a give away in his own end. I am so glad we have N. Schultz instead of Gilbert.
N. Schlutz has thrown exactly 2 hits this year ... compared to Gilbert's 3.

There is no N. Schultz bashing here, I actually like him as our #5 D-man ... we got that spot filled now. Nice.

The rose colored glasses in this town are pretty amazing; I should get some and perhaps some of those drugs your talking about, that make Schulz look better than Gilbert.

Sadly, the way Tamblo have been 'trading up' from guys like Gilbert to Schulz; were in for a NYI rebuild. Enjoy folks.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:54 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Quote:

There is no N. Schultz bashing here, I actually like him as our #5 D-man ... we got that spot filled now. Nice.

The rose colored glasses in this town are pretty amazing; I should get some and perhaps some of those drugs your talking about, that make Schulz look better than Gilbert.

Sadly, the way Tamblo have been 'trading up' from guys like Gilbert to Schulz; were in for a NYI rebuild. Enjoy folks.
We were so good with Gilbert in the lineup, right?

Old
01-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey
Talking to fans on the CBJ and they would trade Nikitin for either
Jones & 2nd
or the two 2nd round picks we have.
I would be all over that to get a 26yr old dman with size that is a top 4 dman.
Thoughts guys, what do you think he is worth?
Why do they want to trade him, though? How badly is he struggling? I'm weary of trading for guys who play for the only NHL team that's worse than ours.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:

Wow, I'm curious just how much greener you assume that grass really is?

Nick Schultz a "#5"? Tom Gilbert the answer? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be hard to track down posts stating the exact opposite.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:00 PM
McTedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Exactly and the need for a stay at home dman warranted trading away Gilbert. If Gone remembers correctly the Oil were bleeding goals big time last year. Schultz finished -2 after 20GP, not bad on last years team. And now he adds leadership and pairs with arguably one of the most exciting D prospects we've had in awhile. But hey we just wear rose coloured glasses, compared to the guy that can't prove a single statement.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:22 PM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Exactly and the need for a stay at home dman warranted trading away Gilbert. If Gone remembers correctly the Oil were bleeding goals big time last year. Schultz finished -2 after 20GP, not bad on last years team. And now he adds leadership and pairs with arguably one of the most exciting D prospects we've had in awhile. But hey we just wear rose coloured glasses, compared to the guy that can't prove a single statement.
And that's the exact reason why we made that trade....to get rid of the fire drill in our own zone that seemed to happen often with Gilbert.

Last season Gilbert had 50 giveaways in 67 games. Schultz had 32 in 82 games.

If Gone wants to base his whole argument off of numbers, then look no further than that.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:30 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
And were much better with N. Schultz?

Old
01-27-2013, 09:31 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
And that's the exact reason why we made that trade....to get rid of the fire drill in our own zone that seemed to happen often with Gilbert.

Last season Gilbert had 50 giveaways in 67 games. Schultz had 32 in 82 games.

If Gone wants to base his whole argument off of numbers, then look no further than that.
Gilbert saw 30% more ice time against the oppositions top units; that duty went to Smid-Pertry after he left. Schulz was on the 2nd pairing.

Gilbert's value in a trade is >>>>>> Schultz, we got schooled. Just admit it, we don't win trades in this town so don't turn a pig's ear into a silk purse. If we wanted a number 5 d-man, we should of waited to get a FA. The way this team overpays, there would of been a lineup.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:32 PM
McTedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
IMO we are. The last thing we need right now is another offensive dman which I guess you could have called Gilbert.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:32 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Your making my argument for me. Thx.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:34 PM
McTedi

Quote:
Gilbert saw 30% more ice time against the oppositions top units; that duty went to Smid-Pertry after he left. Schulz was on the 2nd pairing.

Gilbert's value in a trade is >>>>>> Schultz, we got schooled. Just admit it, we don't win trades in this town so don't turn a pig's ear into a silk purse. If we wanted a number 5 d-man, we should of waited to get a FA. The way this team overpays, there would of been a lineup.
He is not a number 5 dman and Minny gave up a lot when they traded Schultz. I am not slagging Tommy G. but he wasn't what this team needed going forward.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:35 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Quote:
Your making my argument for me. Thx.
I'm pretty sure we finished last in the NHL twice when he was playing for us.

Look at that, 2 assists and he's still a minus against the Blues.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:36 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:

Brodziak was crap on Edmonton. Soft, lazy, not progressing. When people talk about players who benefitted from a change of scenery, Kyle Brodziak is the guy they should reference. He just wasn`t improving in Edmonton.

I can`t believe that you even suggest that Tom Gilbert is gritty at all. Soft as butter, the guy injures himself every time he tries to add a physical dimension to his game. Comparing him to Schultz is useless, as it was a swap that was needed from Edmonton`s perspective, they needed a defensive d-man, and Gilbert certainly isn`t that. Plus, Jeff Petry emerging made Tom Gilbert expendable. We needed a Nick Schultz, we had extra of Tom Gilbert.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:37 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Just because we needed a stay at home d man doesn't mean that Tambo had to give one of our better d men away for nothing. It was the trade deadline I'm sure there was at least one stay at home dman available for a later pick. Also have to wonder how many of you guys would still be loving this move if we didn't acquire J. Schultz? Keeping in mind our defense probably looks something like this to start this year:

Petry-Smid
Whitney-Schultz
Potter-Fistric
Peckham/Fedun?

Tambo got lucky that J. Schultz chose us because if he didn't then our d would have been in a world of trouble.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:37 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Yes. Yes we are.

Closed Thread