HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 1

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2013, 08:14 PM
  #376
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
So you're saying Hemsky and Whitney are on the block. Hopefully Tambi can find that top 4 defender we need.
Personally I'm fine with the D, some of it just needs to knock the rust off, also with what the Oilers have coming up the pipeline, why. As to Hemsky and Whitney if the right offer came along they would be traded, as will Gagner. Note the Oilers are not going to trade them for a quick fix, they'll be trade for the future.

WeridAl is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:18 PM
  #377
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,218
vCash: 500
It has only been 4 games, we have a young team so this is how it is going to be this year. Our defense is the best it has been in years. It will get better. I am happy with how the team is this year. Yes, I wish they would win more but the are exciting to watch and are young. Next year with Khabi, Whitney and Jones probally won't be resigned. Resign Smid and Fistric, then go after a top 4 dman and a 2C with size. I like Gagner but we do need a bigger 2C.

rockinghockey is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:19 PM
  #378
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Personally I'm fine with the D, some of it just needs to knock the rust off, also with what the Oilers have coming up the pipeline, why. As to Hemsky and Whitney if the right offer came along they would be traded, as will Gagner. Note the Oilers are not going to trade them for a quick fix, they'll be trade for the future.
I agree with you on this one.

rockinghockey is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:36 PM
  #379
Lessy
Registered User
 
Lessy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
Second line C we are looking for is in Florida. Steven Weiss. He is a ufa at the end of the year. Florida is struggling. I wonder what they would want in return.

Get him here and lock him up before July 1st.
Stephen Weiss is basically a matured Sam Gagner aka not the answer to our problems. Getzlaf and Iginla are the only C's that really suit our needs on the UFA market this summer and I'd be surprised if even one of them considered us (maybe Iginla?)

Lessy is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:36 PM
  #380
Gone
Fire KLowe
 
Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I would take Nick Schultz over Gilbert any day, don't care what he is doing, he is playing with Suter, enough said.
Every GM in the NHL (excpet Tamblo) would take Gilbert every day of the week over Schultz, nuff said.

Minni must love Edmonton; here is an interesting stat, Brodziak has won in excess of 55% of his faceoff's this year ... which Oiler is better? What did we get for Brodziak again?

Also, anyone know how to find the number of hits thrown on the NHL website ... i can't seem to find it ... and I wonder if the gritier Nick Schultz is a myth, could Gilbert be besting him in that category as well?

Gone is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:39 PM
  #381
OILSLICK94
Registered User
 
OILSLICK94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
Enough with the Nick Schultz bashing here.....it's four fricken games into the season.

As I'm reading this thread I see Perron make Tom Gilbert eat the boards as he walks around him behind the Wild goal line, enough said.... Yes that small guy Perron

OILSLICK94 is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:39 PM
  #382
belair
Registered User
 
belair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
Stephen Weiss is basically a matured Sam Gagner aka not the answer to our problems. Getzlaf and Iginla are the only C's that really suit our needs on the UFA market this summer and I'd be surprised if even one of them considered us (maybe Iginla?)
Iggy's a RW.

belair is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:40 PM
  #383
McTedi
Registered User
 
McTedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,527
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Every GM in the NHL (excpet Tamblo) would take Gilbert every day of the week over Schultz, nuff said.

Minni must love Edmonton; here is an interesting stat, Brodziak has won in excess of 55% of his faceoff's this year ... which Oiler is better? What did we get for Brodziak again?

Also, anyone know how to find the number of hits thrown on the NHL website ... i can't seem to find it ... and I wonder if the gritier Nick Schultz is a myth, could Gilbert be besting him in that category as well?
Anyone with eyeballs can tell you that Nick Schultz plays tougher than Tommy G. And your first statement has no validity at all, it can not be proven at all, nuff said

McTedi is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:47 PM
  #384
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Every GM in the NHL (excpet Tamblo) would take Gilbert every day of the week over Schultz, nuff said.

Minni must love Edmonton; here is an interesting stat, Brodziak has won in excess of 55% of his faceoff's this year ... which Oiler is better? What did we get for Brodziak again?

Also, anyone know how to find the number of hits thrown on the NHL website ... i can't seem to find it ... and I wonder if the gritier Nick Schultz is a myth, could Gilbert be besting him in that category as well?
Are you on drugs or you just haven't watch Gilbert the last few year. The guy is soft and a give away in his own end. I am so glad we have N. Schultz instead of Gilbert.

rockinghockey is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:50 PM
  #385
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,218
vCash: 500
Talking to fans on the CBJ and they would trade Nikitin for either
Jones & 2nd
or the two 2nd round picks we have.
I would be all over that to get a 26yr old dman with size that is a top 4 dman.
Thoughts guys, what do you think he is worth?

rockinghockey is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:53 PM
  #386
Gone
Fire KLowe
 
Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Are you on drugs or you just haven't watch Gilbert the last few year. The guy is soft and a give away in his own end. I am so glad we have N. Schultz instead of Gilbert.
N. Schlutz has thrown exactly 2 hits this year ... compared to Gilbert's 3.

There is no N. Schultz bashing here, I actually like him as our #5 D-man ... we got that spot filled now. Nice.

The rose colored glasses in this town are pretty amazing; I should get some and perhaps some of those drugs your talking about, that make Schulz look better than Gilbert.

Sadly, the way Tamblo have been 'trading up' from guys like Gilbert to Schulz; were in for a NYI rebuild. Enjoy folks.

Gone is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:54 PM
  #387
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatMcKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 16,890
vCash: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
N. Schlutz has thrown exactly 2 hits this year ... compared to Gilbert's 3.

There is no N. Schultz bashing here, I actually like him as our #5 D-man ... we got that spot filled now. Nice.

The rose colored glasses in this town are pretty amazing; I should get some and perhaps some of those drugs your talking about, that make Schulz look better than Gilbert.

Sadly, the way Tamblo have been 'trading up' from guys like Gilbert to Schulz; were in for a NYI rebuild. Enjoy folks.
We were so good with Gilbert in the lineup, right?

GreatMcKeith is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:55 PM
  #388
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey
Talking to fans on the CBJ and they would trade Nikitin for either
Jones & 2nd
or the two 2nd round picks we have.
I would be all over that to get a 26yr old dman with size that is a top 4 dman.
Thoughts guys, what do you think he is worth?
Why do they want to trade him, though? How badly is he struggling? I'm weary of trading for guys who play for the only NHL team that's worse than ours.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:55 PM
  #389
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
N. Schlutz has thrown exactly 2 hits this year ... compared to Gilbert's 3.

There is no N. Schultz bashing here, I actually like him as our #5 D-man ... we got that spot filled now. Nice.

The rose colored glasses in this town are pretty amazing; I should get some and perhaps some of those drugs your talking about, that make Schulz look better than Gilbert.

Sadly, the way Tamblo have been 'trading up' from guys like Gilbert to Schulz; were in for a NYI rebuild. Enjoy folks.
Wow, I'm curious just how much greener you assume that grass really is?

Nick Schultz a "#5"? Tom Gilbert the answer? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be hard to track down posts stating the exact opposite.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 09:00 PM
  #390
McTedi
Registered User
 
McTedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,527
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
We were so good with Gilbert in the lineup, right?
Exactly and the need for a stay at home dman warranted trading away Gilbert. If Gone remembers correctly the Oil were bleeding goals big time last year. Schultz finished -2 after 20GP, not bad on last years team. And now he adds leadership and pairs with arguably one of the most exciting D prospects we've had in awhile. But hey we just wear rose coloured glasses, compared to the guy that can't prove a single statement.

McTedi is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 09:22 PM
  #391
jsho
Registered User
 
jsho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Exactly and the need for a stay at home dman warranted trading away Gilbert. If Gone remembers correctly the Oil were bleeding goals big time last year. Schultz finished -2 after 20GP, not bad on last years team. And now he adds leadership and pairs with arguably one of the most exciting D prospects we've had in awhile. But hey we just wear rose coloured glasses, compared to the guy that can't prove a single statement.
And that's the exact reason why we made that trade....to get rid of the fire drill in our own zone that seemed to happen often with Gilbert.

Last season Gilbert had 50 giveaways in 67 games. Schultz had 32 in 82 games.

If Gone wants to base his whole argument off of numbers, then look no further than that.

jsho is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 09:30 PM
  #392
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?
 
RaabHart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,760
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
We were so good with Gilbert in the lineup, right?
And were much better with N. Schultz?

RaabHart is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 09:31 PM
  #393
Gone
Fire KLowe
 
Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
And that's the exact reason why we made that trade....to get rid of the fire drill in our own zone that seemed to happen often with Gilbert.

Last season Gilbert had 50 giveaways in 67 games. Schultz had 32 in 82 games.

If Gone wants to base his whole argument off of numbers, then look no further than that.
Gilbert saw 30% more ice time against the oppositions top units; that duty went to Smid-Pertry after he left. Schulz was on the 2nd pairing.

Gilbert's value in a trade is >>>>>> Schultz, we got schooled. Just admit it, we don't win trades in this town so don't turn a pig's ear into a silk purse. If we wanted a number 5 d-man, we should of waited to get a FA. The way this team overpays, there would of been a lineup.

Gone is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 09:32 PM
  #394
McTedi
Registered User
 
McTedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,527
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
And were much better with N. Schultz?
IMO we are. The last thing we need right now is another offensive dman which I guess you could have called Gilbert.

McTedi is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 09:32 PM
  #395
Gone
Fire KLowe
 
Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
We were so good with Gilbert in the lineup, right?
Your making my argument for me. Thx.

Gone is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 09:34 PM
  #396
McTedi
Registered User
 
McTedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,527
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Gilbert saw 30% more ice time against the oppositions top units; that duty went to Smid-Pertry after he left. Schulz was on the 2nd pairing.

Gilbert's value in a trade is >>>>>> Schultz, we got schooled. Just admit it, we don't win trades in this town so don't turn a pig's ear into a silk purse. If we wanted a number 5 d-man, we should of waited to get a FA. The way this team overpays, there would of been a lineup.
He is not a number 5 dman and Minny gave up a lot when they traded Schultz. I am not slagging Tommy G. but he wasn't what this team needed going forward.

McTedi is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 09:35 PM
  #397
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatMcKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 16,890
vCash: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Your making my argument for me. Thx.
I'm pretty sure we finished last in the NHL twice when he was playing for us.

Look at that, 2 assists and he's still a minus against the Blues.

GreatMcKeith is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 09:36 PM
  #398
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Every GM in the NHL (excpet Tamblo) would take Gilbert every day of the week over Schultz, nuff said.

Minni must love Edmonton; here is an interesting stat, Brodziak has won in excess of 55% of his faceoff's this year ... which Oiler is better? What did we get for Brodziak again?

Also, anyone know how to find the number of hits thrown on the NHL website ... i can't seem to find it ... and I wonder if the gritier Nick Schultz is a myth, could Gilbert be besting him in that category as well?
Brodziak was crap on Edmonton. Soft, lazy, not progressing. When people talk about players who benefitted from a change of scenery, Kyle Brodziak is the guy they should reference. He just wasn`t improving in Edmonton.

I can`t believe that you even suggest that Tom Gilbert is gritty at all. Soft as butter, the guy injures himself every time he tries to add a physical dimension to his game. Comparing him to Schultz is useless, as it was a swap that was needed from Edmonton`s perspective, they needed a defensive d-man, and Gilbert certainly isn`t that. Plus, Jeff Petry emerging made Tom Gilbert expendable. We needed a Nick Schultz, we had extra of Tom Gilbert.

zeus3007* is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 09:37 PM
  #399
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?
 
RaabHart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,760
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Exactly and the need for a stay at home dman warranted trading away Gilbert. If Gone remembers correctly the Oil were bleeding goals big time last year. Schultz finished -2 after 20GP, not bad on last years team. And now he adds leadership and pairs with arguably one of the most exciting D prospects we've had in awhile. But hey we just wear rose coloured glasses, compared to the guy that can't prove a single statement.
Just because we needed a stay at home d man doesn't mean that Tambo had to give one of our better d men away for nothing. It was the trade deadline I'm sure there was at least one stay at home dman available for a later pick. Also have to wonder how many of you guys would still be loving this move if we didn't acquire J. Schultz? Keeping in mind our defense probably looks something like this to start this year:

Petry-Smid
Whitney-Schultz
Potter-Fistric
Peckham/Fedun?

Tambo got lucky that J. Schultz chose us because if he didn't then our d would have been in a world of trouble.

RaabHart is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 09:37 PM
  #400
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
And were much better with N. Schultz?
Yes. Yes we are.

zeus3007* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.