HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 1

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 09:39 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Just because we needed a stay at home d man doesn't mean that Tambo had to give one of our better d men away for nothing. It was the trade deadline I'm sure there was at least one stay at home dman available for a later pick. Also have to wonder how many of you guys would still be loving this move if we didn't acquire J. Schultz? Keeping in mind our defense probably looks something like this to start this year:

Petry-Smid
Whitney-Schultz
Potter-Fistric
Peckham/Fedun?

Tambo got lucky that J. Schultz chose us because if he didn't then our d would have been in a world of trouble.
We should keep giving picks to divisional rivals then?

Say we kept Gilbert and still acquired Nick Schultz with a pick...

Smid/Petry
Schultz/Schultz
Gilbert/Whitney?

And that pushes Fistric right out of the picture. That's a pretty damn soft back end...

Old
01-27-2013, 09:39 PM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Just because we needed a stay at home d man doesn't mean that Tambo had to give one of our better d men away for nothing. It was the trade deadline I'm sure there was at least one stay at home dman available for a later pick. Also have to wonder how many of you guys would still be loving this move if we didn't acquire J. Schultz? Keeping in mind our defense probably looks something like this to start this year:

Petry-Smid
Whitney-Schultz
Potter-Fistric
Peckham/Fedun?

Tambo got lucky that J. Schultz chose us because if he didn't then our d would have been in a world of trouble.
Having Tammy Gilbert in our lineup instead of Nick Schultz would make us a worse team, whether we had Justin Schultz or not. And no, there weren`t any d-men worth playing available for late picks at the deadline. D-men were bringing in a premium for each of the last two deadlines.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:40 PM
McTedi

Quote:

Petry-Smid
Whitney-Schultz
Potter-Fistric
Peckham/Fedun?

You have your opinion and I have mine. Gibert wasn't traded for nothing. He was traded for the better option going forward. I like N. Schultz so maybe my opinion is biased, I just think he means more to us than Gilbert ever could.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:41 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
IMO we are. The last thing we need right now is another offensive dman which I guess you could have called Gilbert.
As I said in my other reply only because we acquired J. Schultz. And its still yet to be proven if N. Schultz will be a piece of the puzzle that gets this team out of the basement of the league.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:41 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
As I said in my other reply only because we acquired J. Schultz. And its still yet to be proven if N. Schultz will be a piece of the puzzle that gets this team out of the basement of the league.
And Gilbert didn't get us out of the basement. I'm not sure what the argument here is...

Old
01-27-2013, 09:49 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Having Tammy Gilbert in our lineup instead of Nick Schultz would make us a worse team, whether we had Justin Schultz or not. And no, there weren`t any d-men worth playing available for late picks at the deadline. D-men were bringing in a premium for each of the last two deadlines.
Yea cause Niklas Grossman would have looked horrible here for a 2nd and 3rd round pick. We keep Gilbert and acquire Grossman Our D suddenly looks alot better even without Schultz.

Petry-Smid
Gilbert-Grossman
Whitney-Fistric
Potter

We could then trade Gilbert at an oppotune time last summer when we found out J. Schultz was going to sign with us to make room for him. Or we could have kept Gilbert and moved Whitney and went into this season with some depth looking something like this:

Petry-Smid
J.Schultz-Grossman
Gilbert-Fistric
Potter

Either way the Edmonton lost the Schultz trade hands down and only homer Oil fans can't see it.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:52 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Except that the Flyers are about as poor defensively than we are...

Old
01-27-2013, 09:52 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
And Gilbert didn't get us out of the basement. I'm not sure what the argument here is...

Just that the poster was insinuating that Gilbert was the reason we were in the toilet. It's yet to be proven that Schultz is any better in that regard. Both have contributed to this team being absolutely abysmal.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:54 PM
McTedi

Quote:
Yea cause Niklas Grossman would have looked horrible here for a 2nd and 3rd round pick. We keep Gilbert and acquire Grossman Our D suddenly looks alot better even without Schultz.

Petry-Smid
Gilbert-Grossman
Whitney-Fistric
Potter

We could then trade Gilbert at an oppotune time last summer when we found out J. Schultz was going to sign with us to make room for him. Or we could have kept Gilbert and moved Whitney and went into this season with some depth looking something like this:

Petry-Smid
J.Schultz-Grossman
Gilbert-Fistric
Potter

Either way the Edmonton lost the Schultz trade hands down and only homer Oil fans can't see it.
Coulda shoulda woulda...nice armchair trades you make. It isn't that simple. And while I may be an Oiler fan, I am not a homer. Funny that you need to resort to insults to make a point. N. Schultz is a top four defensive Dman which is precisely what this team required.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:55 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Just that the poster was insinuating that Gilbert was the reason we were in the toilet. It's yet to be proven that Schultz is any better in that regard. Both have contributed to this team being absolutely abysmal.
Schultz has been here for a few months.

Gilbert was here a few years...

And ol' Gibby was -2 despite having 2 assists. One of those was on the PP so that means he was on the ice for 3 goals against including the OT winner.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:55 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Except that the Flyers are about as poor defensively than we are...
Doesn't change the fact that they got a better d man then Schultz for picks. I would have happily given up Mitch Moroz and our 3rd this year for Grossman.

Edit: Moral of the story we have a ****** GM, and Paul Holmgren kicks ass.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Doesn't change the fact that they got a better d man then Schultz for picks. I would have happily given up Mitch Moroz and our 3rd this year for Grossman.

Grossman isn't better then Schultz

Old
01-27-2013, 10:00 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Coulda shoulda woulda...nice armchair trades you make. It isn't that simple. And while I may be an Oiler fan, I am not a homer. Funny that you need to resort to insults to make a point. N. Schultz is a top four defensive Dman which is precisely what this team required.
Grossman was traded for a 2nd and 3rd, and I only brought it up because the poster stated there were no have decent d men traded for picks. Grossman>>N.Schultz IMO so Tambo got schooled on that deal.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:02 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:

Dean Lombardi certainly agrees. Got Richards for next to nothing.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:04 PM
McTedi

Quote:
Grossman was traded for a 2nd and 3rd, and I only brought it up because the poster stated there were no have decent d men traded for picks. Grossman>>N.Schultz IMO so Tambo got schooled on that deal.
LOL'z...OK I get your point, you don't like Tambo. Don't let it cloud your vision on every topic.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:07 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Not sure if serious?>

Old
01-27-2013, 10:08 PM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

Quote:

Since you think that Grossman is better, I'm going have to say our **** GM still has better talent assessment than you.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:12 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
He acquired two players I would love to have on the Oilers.

Simmonds-RNH-Yakupov
Hall-Schenn-Eberle

That's a great top 6 with multiple different dimensions and styles.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:12 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Not sure if serious?>
A second round pick, Simmonds (who is good but not near Richards level) and Brayden Schenn (who may pan out but doesn't compare to the other top 5 in his draft class).

If the Flyers got anywhere near the final (which they didn't) then maybe I'd acknowledge their GM as some kind of genius, but really, one name says it all for him...

Whoops!

Old
01-27-2013, 10:15 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
He acquired two players I would love to have on the Oilers.

Simmonds-RNH-Yakupov
Hall-Schenn-Eberle

That's a great top 6 with multiple different dimensions and styles.
Except we wouldn't be able to give up whatever it took to get them unless you're okay with sacrificing one of the 4 listed in that top 6.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:55 PM
Psychoil

oh man wayne simmonds would be perfect for this team. him and like a Martin Hanzel or a Colin wilson would just make me feel happy.

I hate myself for saying this, but Tambo needs a little Brian Burke this off season, he should start getting aggressive and add "pugnacity and truculence" to this lineup. the bottom six wont score 10 goals combined this year

Old
01-27-2013, 11:08 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
A second round pick, Simmonds (who is good but not near Richards level) and Brayden Schenn (who may pan out but doesn't compare to the other top 5 in his draft class).

If the Flyers got anywhere near the final (which they didn't) then maybe I'd acknowledge their GM as some kind of genius, but really, one name says it all for him...

Whoops!
The same Simmonds that had more goals and points then Richards last year?

Old
01-27-2013, 11:10 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
The same Simmonds that had more goals and points then Richards last year?
Please, it's the Eastern Conference. Defense and goaltending are at a premium.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:58 PM
frag2

Quote:

Whoops!
Don't worry. Holmgren will just buy out Bryz and trade Briere for Luongo

Old
01-27-2013, 11:59 PM
jbean

I can see both sides with the Holmgren trade. On one hand Carter + Richards + Giroux is a potential cup winning combination, but on the other hand management felt it was important to shake things up and have a new identity for the team. The move also gave them cap flexibility to keep Giroux long term (I don't think Jeff Carter's contract is that great) and bring in a much needed goalie (although the one they chose looks to be a blunder). I think you have to look at the whole situation rather than each individual trade.

Carter + Richards for Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek, Couturier, 2nd round pick, and a 3rd round pick plus valuable cap space is definitely not a lopsided trade. It remains to be seen if they are better of because of the trade though. Schenn and Couturier could be good enough to effectively replace Carter and Richards. Or Philly could end up regretting the trade if Carter and Richards have lengthy careers winning several cups while half of Philly's young players bust.

Closed Thread